PDA

View Full Version : English football (soccer) 08/09!

Stylie
08-10-2008, 11:57 AM
This thread is about english football season 08/09 as the title describes! :)
Anyone here interested in football (soccer)? Let's talk and discuss!

My favourite team is Leeds United, and I'm proud of that. I know, yes, they're in League One now, but Leeds United did have some bad luck with their manager(s) etc... Leeds played in Premier League just some few years ago, but because of money trouble they had to sell all of their top profesionall players. Rio Ferdinand, Harry Kewell, Mark Viduka, Smith, Paul Robinson and so on. Last season, they played play-off but lost. If they didn't begin with those stupid 15 minus points at the start of the season, they would end up on second place, 1 point behind 1.place. It's sad, but now they're in League One, and fighting to come up again! They have a solid squad, with many good players.

The first round has already started in League One, and Leeds United won the first match! :)
They haven't lost their "first match" since 1989, which is pretty cool.

So, let's talk and hoŚpe the season goes well! And please, not let this thread be overtalked of just Premier League, heheh. Leeds got many fans, it's a very big club, so I think it's some of them here too.

Andy
08-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm an Aston Villa fan, and am as always looking forward to the new Premiership season. Three or four more good buys and we will have a very good team to challenge in Europe.

Stylie
08-10-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm an Aston Villa fan, and am as always looking forward to the new Premiership season. Three or four more good buys and we will have a very good team to challenge in Europe.

Aston Villa... I like that team. Not that I know anything about them, but the name is cool. And I don't have anything against it either. Like Liverpool - man I hate that team. :P Just don't like it.

Didn't Aston Villa buy some Leeds players?

Andy
08-10-2008, 12:32 PM
So you should, adopt Villa as your Premiership team :D I can teach you everything you need to know

From the top of my head, I can't think of anyone Villa has bought from Leeds lately. We were going to sign James Milner, and have been linked with him ever since Newcastle bought him from Leeds in 2004. Other than that, I can't think of anyone else!

Stylie
08-10-2008, 12:38 PM
So you should, adopt Villa as your Premiership team :D I can teach you everything you need to know

Not that I can think of from the top of my head. Villa were going to sign James Milner, and have been linked with him ever since Newcastle bought him from Leeds in 2004. Other than that, I can't think of anyone else!

Hehah, nope, I don't think so. Thanks anyway. :P
You know, about a couple of years Leeds will be in the Premiership again. I'm sure that they will promote (is that the roght word to use?) this season.

Yeah, James Milner... man, that young talent. It's a shame that Leeds got this money trouble.

Andy
08-10-2008, 12:43 PM
I think it's obvious that Leeds will go up this season; if it wasn't for the 15-point deduction, they would have gone up last season for sure and now that they've got this season starting the same as everyone else I think they'll finish in at least 2nd place. Leeds Utd deserves to be a Premiership club.

Stylie
08-10-2008, 12:52 PM
I think it's obvious that Leeds will go up this season; if it wasn't for the 15-point deduction, they would have gone up last season for sure and now that they've got this season starting the same as everyone else I think they'll finish in at least 2nd place. Leeds Utd deserves to be a Premiership club.

Exactly. And yeah, they absolutely deserve that. :)

arak0r
08-10-2008, 02:19 PM
ah my boys looked good today :) almost tempted to bring back the old av

TRoffspring
08-10-2008, 02:34 PM

I agree;)
If they hadn't lost the 15 points the would have finished top of the league by far, i think Leeds deserve Premiership football;)

I myself am a Man Utd fan,
and everyone hates me for it- other than other man utd fans:p

arak0r
yes well youre a bastard then arent you, and you arent getting dimi

Stylie
ah my boys looked good today :) almost tempted to bring back the old av

Huh...? :P

Stylie
08-10-2008, 02:43 PM
I agree;)
If they hadn't lost the 15 points the would have finished top of the league by far, i think Leeds deserve Premiership football;)

I myself am a Man Utd fan,
and everyone hates me for it- other than other man utd fans:p

Yep, they deserve it.
Remember the good matches between Leeds and ManU? Oh, so exciting! :)

Andy
08-10-2008, 02:52 PM
ah my boys looked good today :)

With Bentley, Modric, dos Santos and Berbatov (if he stays), Spurs have got a stupidly creative attack this season. REALLY annoying!

hshduppsnt
08-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Tottenham Hotspurs...

I'm really excited about Modric this year... I'm hoping for a champions league birth...

TRoffspring
08-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Yep, they deserve it.
Remember the good matches between Leeds and ManU? Oh, so exciting! :)

Yep,
I used to love the Leeds Man Utd Games,
shame we havent played Leeds in ages,
Leeds are one of my fave teams:D

Tijs
08-10-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm an Aston Villa fan.
I saw Aston Villa play last year here against NEC Nijmegen. I was expecting them to win by 5 against 0, but they lost! HA!

That's all I have to contribute, for now

Andy
08-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Tijs, you make me sad :(

But yeah, the club had a bit of a rubbish pre-season this year. That's kind of what happens when you only have one proper centre-back , have no right backs and your captain (and best midfield player) wants to leave...

arak0r
08-10-2008, 05:16 PM
With Bentley, Modric, dos Santos and Berbatov (if he stays), Spurs have got a stupidly creative attack this season. REALLY annoying!
indeed. then there are still rumors that we will get arshavin (they apparently had already come to terms with both player and club til zenit decided to bugger off and ask for MORE even though THFC had met their previous asking price) and for defense corluka (well mancity seems to be in some deep shit now with shinawatra)

Andy
08-10-2008, 05:25 PM
I don't fully understand exactly why Spurs want Arshavin. You've already got one quality creative attacking midfielder (Modric), having two players like that in the team would ruin the balance. It won't hurt to have them, but wouldn't it mean that one of them would end up on the bench??

Anyway, back to Villa... I heard today that we're set to get a "Major name from the Continent" by the end of the transfer window. There's rumours of getting Riquelme from Villareal. He would be a superb buy if we get him.

arak0r
08-10-2008, 05:45 PM
well arshavin could be played as a forward..or you could have arshavin as a central attacking mid, getting arshavin wouldnt mean he or modric would be benched, just need to be fitted in the right position, and im certain ramos would figure it out

Stylie
08-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Yep,
I used to love the Leeds Man Utd Games,
shame we havent played Leeds in ages,
Leeds are one of my fave teams:D

Great to hear! ManU isn't that bad either, heheh. Ole Gunnar Solskjśr played there. He's a legend. ;)

__

And WOW! Leeds (I was going to write The Offspring, hahah) played their first round in the Carling Cup today against Chester, I saw the match on "SportN" (a norwegian channel) some minutes after it was ended (live on Viasat 2, but we just have Viasat 4).

And damn what a match. Leeds won 5-2 (!), and it actually should have been 6-2 because of wrong judging. Anyway, 5-2 was the result, and Leeds scored all the 5 goals in the first round. First goal after thre minutes, and second after about 15 minutes. And it kept on. Beckford scored three of them, excellent player! One of the goals was very beautiful, and probably gonna end in the top 10 best goals in this season as the commentary-man said, heheh.

Chester scored the last goal on penalty. A good game, and fun to watch! ;)

Stylie
08-13-2008, 07:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cESsbseJm4M

Here's the goals of the match. ^^
Leeds' last goal of Beckford is a real pearl. Very beautifull. Beckford is king.

Szandi
08-13-2008, 10:00 AM
http://www.bassbox.co.uk/arsenal3d.gif

:D

Lupin
08-13-2008, 10:11 AM
http://www.bwfc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/c1/cb/0,,1004~576449,00.jpg

!!SUPER WHITE ARMY!!

Stylie
08-13-2008, 10:57 AM
This one owns pretty much. ^^

http://i33.tinypic.com/21jx3bt.png

Lupin
08-17-2008, 05:55 AM
oots!! Well the new season has kickered off! And for the time being at least Bolton are top, i know it wont last but yesterday was fantastic given our shitty season last year.

BTW Stoke City are the biggest pile of crap the premiership have seen, maybe worse than Derby.

'mon the Wanderers :D

Andy
08-17-2008, 06:54 AM
Thank god the season's back, weekends will start to have meaning again now!

My initial ponderings (long and boring):

I think Hull could be a suprise this season; if Geovanni plays like he did yesterday, and stays injury-free he could give them the skill to stay in the league. If Marlon King stays fit, he'll get a few goals as well.

Stoke are definately favourite to go straight down. They'll have a slight chance of staying up if Kitson can rediscover the form that got him an England call-up last season, but I think he'll struggle as there doesn't seem to be much creativity in the midfield.

West Brom looked good against Arsenal yesterday. They played Premiership-quality football in the Championship last year and they'll fit in just fine with the big boys. Roman Bednar will score a good deal of goals, Ishmael Miller is a future England forward for sure and Luke Moore has good Premiership experience from his time with Villa. They'll get plenty of goals.

Arsenal still need to strengthen their squad, they've already got a great first team and Nasri will be one of the signings of the season but I don't think there's much squad depth there. Adebayor was great last season, but from his performance yesterday, he seems to have lost his bite. The fitness of van Persie will be instrumental in their attack this year I think. They'll still finish third I think, but it'll be tough.

Liverpool seem confused. They've got the best striker in the league (Torres) and one of the best central midfielders (Gerrard), but I the rest of the team still look sub-standard to me. The quality of Gerrard, Torres and maybe Keane will keep them comfortably in 4th, but I still think they need more to properly compete with Chelsea and Man Utd. Benitez needs to get his priorities in check - he doesn't need another central midfielder (Barry), he needs wingers who can actually play effectively on the wing.

Everton are in big trouble. The manager's not happy, the fans aren't happy, they've made no new signings despite having one of the smallest squads in the league and unless Tim Cahill stops being to injury-prone they'll suffer this season.

Bolton are going to do much better this season than they did last time. Admittedly, it was only Stoke, but they looked good. Nothing spectacular, but good enough to stay up. Gary Cahill is a great centre-back and they won't concede as many as last year now that he's settled.

Fulham are similar to Bolton. McBride leaving will be a big loss, and they need to get Bullard to sign that new contract because they need his creativity.

Sunderland looked impressive against Liverpool, even though they lost. Roy Keane was a hard-ass player and he's made a hard-ass team that will be able to bully most other teams and play some good football whilst doing so.

Blackburn have lost a good manager, a good playmaker (Bentley) and are expecded to lose a top goalscorer (Santa Cruz); and even though Paul Ince is a good manager, they'll find it difficult to replace them. Yesterday's win was a lucky one against a significantly weakened Everton.

Middlesborough are looking good. Defence is solid and Alves/Tuncay looked lively. They'll be looking to the top-6 this year I think.

Tottenham is a weird case: good manager, big squad with some very good players, but they don't seem to have any soul. Bentley, Modric, Berbatov (if he stays), Gio dos Santos, Lennon etc are players who can win games, but unless they start to play like a team and sort out their defence, they won't get anywhere.

I'll give my opinion on the rest of the teams at the end of the day, when I've seen them play.

EDIT: I forgot West Ham and Wigan!

Unless West Ham can finally get over their injury problems then they can do OK. Ashton will get goals but he's a little unpredictable. Top half at best.

Wigan have an honest squad, but their lack of any real quality won't help. They'll struggle.

hshduppsnt
08-17-2008, 12:38 PM
^ that's a pretty good write up of a lot of teams.

In Tottenham's case, I'm hoping its just a matter of not having played together and that they'll gel over the next month or so

Andy
08-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Right, after seeing the games today I think it's pretty obvious that this title is Chelsea's to lose.

Chelsea were outstanding today. They've finally found a manager who's tactics manage to utilise the superior talent of the players at his disposal AND get them playing exciting, attacking football. Deco was brilliant today, and completely dominated the game. I don't like Chelsea, but am looking forward to seeing them play. From today's game, it shows that they are almost certain to be champions.

Even though they're the champions, Man Utd do need some new players. They have a great defence and some devastatingly good attacking players (Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo) but I think Giggs and Scholes are too old, and have never been convinced with Carrick and Fletcher, plus I think Anderson and Nani are too young so in my opinion, the squad definately needs a good central-attacking midfielder. Liverpool has Gerrard, Arsenal has Fabregas and Chelsea have Lampard and now Deco, but I don't think Man Utd have that killer central player who can link stuff up. It's obvious to see that they also need an out and out striker who will get 20-25 goals, as Rooney and Tevez prefer to drop deep and make play, rather than finish. They need a player like van Nistelrooy.

Newcastle looked very good against Man Utd today. With Coloccini there, and Given confident again they look like they might be over the defensive problems that saw them struggle so badly last year. Also, with Duff fit again and if Viduka, Owen and Martins all stay injury-free I think Newcastle will do well. Their new signing, Gutierrez looked very lively and I think he will do very well in the Premiership.

Portsmouth did not have a good game today. Chelsea were superb, and would have made most teams look ordinary, but I wasn't convinced with Portsmouth's play regardless of this. David James, Sol Campbell and Sylvain Distin helped Portsmouth have one of the best defences in the league last year, but they looked very out of sorts today, and I think last season was them at their peak, and will concede a lot of goals now. Muntari going to Inter will be a big loss, as he was their best creative midfielder last year, but Crouch and Defoe up front have the potential to score lots of goals. Portsmouth will be a very interesting team to watch this season.

Manchester City are in trouble. Their owner is in big trouble in Thailand, and has had his finances frozen; the club is apparently selling players without the manager's consent, meaning he isn't happy and if the manager isn't happy, then the team won't play well. Most importantly as well, is their lack of strikers. I think Man City won't do well this year.

Finally, my team: Aston Villa! A fantastic 4-2 win against Man City today, which included a hat-trick from Gabby Agbonlahor means I'm happy. Villa has a very good team this year; Friedel is a top-class goalkeeper and finally now that the club has a right back and more strength in midfield I think it could go well. A couple more players would be nice - a right winger, a prolific striker and maybe an exciting midfielder and a top-6 finish is assured, and maybe a good run in the UEFA cup.

Keyser
08-18-2008, 05:00 AM
West Ham wins their first game :D COME ON YOU IRONS!

StefanDBH
08-18-2008, 01:45 PM
On the end of season will be:

1.Chelsea
2.Manchester United
3.Arsenal
4.Liverpool
5.Aston Villa
6.Newcastle United
7.Tottenham Hotspur
8.Manchester City
9.West Ham

Andy
08-18-2008, 03:59 PM
I agree with Stefan, to a point. Chelsea are definately going to win it, but I think it could be Liverpool in 2nd place. I do agree that Newcastle will do well though. Maybe replace West Ham with Middlesborough.

Lupin
09-27-2008, 06:16 AM
oooots, thought i'd revive this thred. Just put a bet on Bolton to win 1-0 at Old Trafford. 16/1 odds...i cant say im exuding confidence, but we shall see.