PDA

View Full Version : Question about compiling software

nieh
08-10-2008, 11:24 AM
I recently bought one of these things (http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/cowon/q5w/). It's got Windows CE 5 and an Alchemy Au1250 600MHz MIPS processor. Since it has a version of windows on it, you're able to put a bunch of games/applications on it, but I've been told any programs have to be compiled specifically for that type of processor, which most things aren't. With its hardware, it's technically capable of running a lot more than is currently easily found for it (there's a version of the the SCUMM emulator for it, and an SNES/NES/GBA/etc. emulator, but not much else that's of any interest to me) so I was wondering, is it possible to take an existing program and compile it for that processor on my own and if so, could someone walk me through it?

Endymion
08-10-2008, 12:59 PM
in general, yes. first, you'll need a compiler of some sort on the thing. either the .net toolkit, visual studio, or cygwin w/ gcc. as for the software, you'll be limited to things that supply the source code so probably just open source stuff. open source stuff tends to be written so that compiling with gcc on cygwin is the best option. as for actually doing it, i have no idea.

nieh
08-10-2008, 01:08 PM
So odds are I wouldn't be able to take something like Starcraft or Command and Conquer and get it to work on the player? There's no easy way to get the source code for things like that? Do you know if Soulseek or any other decent P2P things are open source by any chance? It'd be neat to be able to use that to download music directly to the player with its wifi function.

The Talking Pie
08-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Put Linux on it and use WINE for your Windows apps?

Seriously though, I don't have a clue... As Endy said, you'll be stuck with open-source stuff, which means that most of what you might want to run on it will probably be ruled out.

If you want to download music then maybe use a torrent client? They tend to be open-source.

Endymion
08-10-2008, 01:27 PM
nicotine+ (http://nicotine-plus.sourceforge.net/) is an open-source soulseek client. it's written in python and needs pygtk, so you'll have to figure out how to get them on there.

nieh
08-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Wow, I'm lost already. The nicotine+ site links to here (http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html) saying you need GTK+ 2.10, so I downloaded the binaries for GTK+ but there doesn't seem to be an installation file, so I'm assuming I'm supposed to just extract it somewhere, but their website doesn't say where. This may take a while before I'm able to figure everything out.

Endymion
08-10-2008, 03:26 PM
it's all kinda complicated... the only times i've gotten gtk to work on windows it was in some big bundle attached to the gimp or pidgin or the like.

nieh
08-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Gotcha. I think I'll skip on that then. I found a couple websites that had the source code available for a bunch of games, I'm going to try fiddling with those to see if I can figure anything out.

edit: so, apparently source code doesn't always seem to include artwork/maps/models/etc. Who knew?