PDA

View Full Version : Auditioning

Thomas
08-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Sooo... Tomorrow is a pretty big day for me. I'm gonna be auditioning for the University of Arizona drumline. Ever since i first saw them many years ago, I knew that i wanted to be on this line. I know the instructors very well, and even most of the returning members. I've practiced all of my shit to no end and everyone tells me that I should do just fine (some of the people auditioning me included). For whatever reason, though, I'm definitely starting to freak out a bit, and it doesn't help that all of a sudden I got sick with a sore throat and runny nose of some sort.

Do any of you guys have any tips for, like, mentally preparing yourselves for auditions or try-outs of any sorts? I think this mental thing is what's holding me back the most. Any pointers?

KHWHD
08-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Stay positive, and be calm. I'm sure you'll do just fine. Good luck! :)

wheelchairman
08-10-2008, 09:07 PM
I don't usually think about it or worry about it. I only get that kind of presentation anxiety about a half hour before or whatever, but while the presentation activity is happening time flies.

Homer
08-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Pretty much what Per said. I don't usually start my day any differently or break my every day routine. I pretty much just let all the anxiety attack me about a half hour before whatever it is that causes my anxiety.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'll eat and drink nothing but healthy stuff the day before and the day of any big event. Just so I I feel good and upbeat, and so I don't get sick.

Mota Boy
08-10-2008, 09:42 PM
For whatever reason, though, I'm definitely starting to freak out a bit, and it doesn't help that all of a sudden I got sick with a sore throat and runny nose of some sort.Sounds psychosomatic: you're stress is bringing it on.

Mentally, it's all about positive thinking. You ever see basketball players make shooting motions pre-free throw? They're not getting in last-minute practice, they're visualizing the ball going in. Look, deep down inside, you know that you've got this. You're probably more prepared than anyone you're going to go up against. You've practiced this to the end, and everyone knows and can appreciate it. You're going to be doing it in front of people that know you and are going to enjoy your performance. Have fun with it, it's going to be the experience of a lifetime. From now and until the end, don't worry. I know, it sounds hard, but force yourself to. The same way that forcing yourself to smile actually does make you happier, forcing yourself to think positive will actually cause you to act more positively and feel more positive, even if part of you is thinking "I'm faking it, this isn't going to work", ironically, it's that part of you that's wrong.

So, think about how successful you're going to be. Think about a beautiful day, about how good it's going to feel to go out there and fucking nail it, how relieved and relaxed and yet completely ecstatic you'll be afterwards. You've done this so many times that right now the routine is basically rote muscle memory, and you're good enough at what you do that you can free-flow around any interruption. Don't worry, relax. Spend tonight going over in your mind you, at the audition, hitting each beat perfectly, smiling a tight, controlled smile at the end and saving your jumping fist-pump for once you've gotten out of sight of the judges. You're gonna go far, kid, just keep all that in mind.

Little_Miss_1565
08-10-2008, 10:33 PM
I treat auditions like blind dates. All you can do is prepare yourself as best you can in advance, and then when it's go time just smile, be yourself, and have fun. If it's a good fit, it'll work. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Ryder1234
08-10-2008, 10:43 PM
I have no preparation for these type of things. The most recent time this happened (I had to play a song on my guitar In front of my school), I was getting so anxious since the previous night. I couldn't sleep. It was like when your a kid on Christmas eve, except not exciting.

Apparently, I didn't come off as nervous or anything during the performance though. And somehow didn't make a mistake.

Lizardus
08-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Bend over.

But seriously you'll be fine.

nameless
08-11-2008, 04:04 PM
id say just lots of practice does this trick, youve already done that though so you should be fine!

mrconeman
08-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Mota should consider a career in motivational speech.

But yeah, sounds like you've done everything required of you, just remember those nerves quickly transform into the best rush feeling about 30 seconds into performing.

Mota Boy
08-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Mota should consider a career in motivational speech.You should see me tear people down!

So.... how'd it go?

Thomas
08-13-2008, 12:24 AM
The individual audition section i thought was iffy, but one of the judges said I did really well. Today was the beginning of the second part where we play with the full line all day. They switch people around, see how well we can improve, see how well we fit with the whole ensemble, etc. Tomorrow we find out for sure who made the line but it looks like everyone who is left on snare (myself included) has made it. No one is really struggling or falling behind. I still have one more day of this before I find out for sure, but it's looking pretty good.

lost_nvrfound
08-13-2008, 12:31 AM
good luck tomorrow!

Little_Miss_1565
08-13-2008, 07:38 AM
Awesome! Rock it out tomorrow and let us know.

Thomas
08-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Roger Willco.

Thomas
08-15-2008, 10:35 PM
just as an update, yes I did make the line. I'll be marching snare, which is incredible. If anyone happens to be at any University of Arizona football games, I'm the guy marching snare in between the Mexican and the guy that looks remarkably like Jesus.

I'll probably not be on here a whole lot for a while due to band camp from 8am-10pm every day until friday and then rehearsals on monday nights, wednesday nights, friday nights, saturday mornings, and football games on saturday nights, so don't miss me too much! ;):o:(:mad:

And now, I'm off to learn the 8 pages of music I have to have memorized by tomorrow morning! Oh joy!

KHWHD
08-15-2008, 10:38 PM
just as an update, yes I did make the line. I'll be marching snare, which is incredible. If anyone happens to be at any University of Arizona football games, I'm the guy marching snare in between the Mexican and the guy that looks remarkably like Jesus.

I'll probably not be on here a whole lot for a while due to band camp from 8am-10pm every day until friday and then rehearsals on monday nights, wednesday nights, friday nights, saturday mornings, and football games on saturday nights, so don't miss me too much!

And now, I'm off to learn the 8 pages of music I have to have memorized by tomorrow morning! Oh joy!

Sorry, but I laughed at those 2 parts. Reminded me of American Pie there.. lol. Besides that, CONGRATS!! I'm glad you made the line. That's awesome! Have fun! :)

Thomas
08-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks! I just learned that I'll be performing in front of 58,000 people on a weekly basis, so that's both exciting and enough to scare the living shit out of me.

KHWHD
08-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks! I just learned that I'll be performing in front of 58,000 people on a weekly basis, so that's both exciting and enough to scare the living shit out of me.

You'll be fine. I have faith in you. :)

Little_Miss_1565
08-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Congrats!! Have fun at band camp!

Rag Doll
08-15-2008, 11:52 PM
aw, congrats, Thomas. that is so awesome =)

randman21
08-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Good job, guy. I had no worries about it, and I'm sure, deep down, you didn't either. 58,000 sounds extremely fun.

mrconeman
08-16-2008, 06:49 AM
Ground control to Major Tom, you've really made the graaaade!

Congrats, dude!