PDA

View Full Version : Kinda off topic But......

T.O.2014
08-10-2008, 08:52 PM
I"m only 12 and i was wondering if I learned how to play gutair how hard would it be to play an Offspring song?

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
08-10-2008, 09:04 PM
It hurts me to say this, but no. 90% of the Offspring's songs are pretty easy on guitar. But that doesn't mean they're not the best fuckin' songs alive; because they are. ;)

-=Xander=-
08-10-2008, 10:07 PM
They are very very easy. The first song I ever learnt to play on guitar was Gone Away...Including lead :D But most offspring songs have extra simple punk riffs :D:D:D

Good luck

Ryder1234
08-10-2008, 10:16 PM
They are very very easy. The first song I ever learnt to play on guitar was Gone Away...Including lead :D But most offspring songs have extra simple punk riffs :D:D:D

Good luck
Haha same here. Thats defiantly one of the eaisier songs.

T.O.2014
08-10-2008, 11:44 PM
are gutair lessons cheap? or kinda exsepnsive?

Ryder1234
08-10-2008, 11:52 PM
I wouldn't know, as I am self taught, but if you dont have money at the time, try tabs.

www.ultimate-guitar.com is a good site.

Little_Miss_1565
08-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Depends on where you live, who you have teaching you, etc etc. When I was growing up in Indiana my guitar lessons cost per month less than what I'd pay per hour here in NYC.

I'm going to move this over to Your Band so the forums' other musicians can better help you with getting started playing guitar. :)

Stylie
08-11-2008, 02:56 AM
I'm playing a bit acoustic guitar, actually. I can't any chords (maybe 1 or 2) and I can't read tabs, but I can play some few short songs... I'm working on Gone Away, Dirty Magic and Want You Bad, plus I'm learning Save Tonight (Eagle Eye Cherry), Time Of Your Life (Green Day) and some other simple songs like Titanic, Harry Potter etc., heheh.

I have learned those songs JUST by seeing at youtube, so I have no idea for how to play "real" guitar, if you see what I mean. Can't tabs or something, just seeing and listening on youtube by learning.

Edit: So if anyone knows about a good site to learn, thanks.

Free?
08-11-2008, 05:42 AM
Tabs are really easy to read. Here's Gone Away main riff.

e-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
b-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
g-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10------------------8-8-8-8-8-8-8-------------------------
d-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10--6-6-6-6-6-6-6--8-8-8-8-8-8-8--8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8--------
a--8--8--8--8--8--8--8--8---6-6-6-6-6-6-6--6-6-6-6-6-6-6--8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8--------
e----------------------------4-4-4-4-4-4-4------------------6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6--------

6 lines represent 6 strings and the lowest "e" is the lowest string (the thickest one, it makes the lowest sound), the highest "e" is the highest string that makes the highest sound. Now figure out what numbers mean (I think it's pretty obvious :p ).

coke_a_holic
08-11-2008, 11:26 AM
the hardest part, I found, was making the powerchords without any instruction on it. I only wanted to play single string lines.

I suggest lessons no matter what, go for it. I started trying to learn offspring songs when I was 13, and I got lessons and now I'm a pretentious douchebag! Well worth the time and money.

lost_nvrfound
08-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Offspring songs can be a great starting place. Usually they aren't all that expensive.

One thing you'll learn the more you play though, is that there is more to a lot of their songs than meets the ear initially. But some really easy ones to learn when you are just starting out are Gone Away, Self Esteem, and Defy You. Very simple and wicked cool to play. They were among the first that i learned.

randman21
08-12-2008, 03:43 PM
the hardest part, I found, was making the powerchords without any instruction on it. I only wanted to play single string lines.

Werd. I used to tune the 4 and 5 strings up to E and B, put the guitar on my legs like lapsteel (if that's what it's called) and play with my thumb.

Static_Martyr
08-15-2008, 06:00 PM
When I was first learning guitar, I was getting into stuff like Smash and Americana. The first one I remember being able to play effectively in any way being "Come Out And Play," because of the intro riff and power chords. It's actually a very easy song, but it can be daunting to a new player simply because there are many different techniques used --- string-switching notes like the "Egyptian riff" can be difficult if you're not good at playing on two strings yet, and the palm-muting (pressing the base of your palm against the bridge and plucking the strings like normal) used during the verses can be tricky.

As for *really* easy Offspring tunes....A Lot Like Me from Rise and Fall is pretty easy, because there are only a few chords and the changes are quite slow. Takes Me Nowhere is a bit harder (because it's faster than ALLM) but it has a very simple solo that uses simple chords and notes. Nothingtown is pretty easy too, except maybe for the solo (it's simple by guitar standards, but I can't imagine a rookie being able to play it well without plenty of practice, because it goes across almost all the strings and uses some harder techniques). Fix You is very easy---the whole song only uses seven notes, plus power chords.

Another good album to learn to is Green Day's American Idiot, or if you're the type who doesn't like AI, you can use Dookie. I say American Idiot because the guitar is simple, but a step above modern pop-rock; it's not hard by any means, but it is testing for a new guitar player. I actually bridged the gap between The Ramones and Ozzy Ozbourne by learning all of American Idiot~ Just about every basic technique in the book is covered on that album, from single-string notes to octave chords to bends and pick-scrapes.