PDA

View Full Version : What happened?

Hypno Toad
08-10-2008, 10:06 PM
I got excited recently hearing that the new offspring had been released (yeah, I was a bit slow to find out)

I was a bit disappointed with the direction that the music was moving in, though splinter wasn't bad, most of the songs were kind of weak, and had lost that "offspring feel."

I heard the album, and was shocked that I only found one of the songs appealing (hammerhead) I realize that the offspring are getting on, but age shouldn't be a factor in the genre.

I have been hearing and listening to the offspring since before I can remember, and it is sad to see it going into the pop punk direction.

Anyways, just speaking my mind... Anybody with me? :confused:

KHWHD
08-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Nope, sorry I don't agree with you. I have been a fan for 10+ years and think that they are getting better and better the older they get. I am not disappointed whatsoever. Sorry you feel that way.

Hypno Toad
08-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Well, it's good to hear that some people are still following, but I feel that the music has veered off course. This coming from a 17 year listener.

Ryder1234
08-10-2008, 10:14 PM
I like this album alot, actually. Hammerhead is in my bottom 3. My fave would be A Lot Like Me. I don't think I agree.

EDIT: All that rhymed, and was unintentional.

KHWHD
08-10-2008, 10:17 PM
I like this album alot, actually. Hammerhead is in my bottom 3. My fave would be A Lot Like Me. I don't think I agree.

EDIT: All that rhymed, and was unintentional.

He's a poet and don't know it. :D

Ryder1234
08-10-2008, 10:19 PM
And my sig is a testament. haha

(i totally wrote it all by myself :rolleyes:;))

Little_Miss_1565
08-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Seriously? The first half of the album didn't sound heavy at all to you?

Hypno Toad
08-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Not at all.

I am a big punk fan. I don't like a whole lot of music that comes out these days, the offspring was my only outlet to modern music. Now that is going away.

jacknife737
08-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Seriously? The first half of the album didn't sound heavy at all to you?

Exactly; this album has the hardest sounding songs that the band has written in a while.

Furthermore, i fail to see how this album is any more "pop-punk" then any of their previous releases, especially the last few records.

Ryder1234
08-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Not at all.

I am a big punk fan. I don't like a whole lot of music that comes out these days, the offspring was my only outlet to modern music. Now that is going away.

Wait... Offspring? Shouldn't that be the other way around? I think they're making less modern stuff than most bands now...

Hypno Toad
08-10-2008, 10:27 PM
IMO, heavy doesn't make good. Something about the music and style has changed a lot since the early days. Though the members are getting more talented, the style is changing. And that is my gripe.

Little_Miss_1565
08-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Bands evolve all the time. Could you imagine boning down in the same position every time you do it?

This album sounded a lot more rock to me than most of what they've done so far. "Half Truism" was like metal epic. I never expected a song like that from them, and they did it so well. I don't worry about genre when I really like what I'm hearing, and on this album I do.

Hypno Toad
08-10-2008, 10:42 PM
I listen to bands for their specific style and sound, I don't mind some fluctuation within the genre, songs like "dirty magic", "vultures", or "why don't you get a job". Because at the time, the band was still in it's same style. But if I wanted to listen to a band that changed/evolved frequently, then I would listen to AFI.

I guess I am conservative when it comes to bands I like, and I can see that others are the other way around. Heres hoping that the Offspring doesn't go too off course with their music and become a disaster like many other bands in history.

I am still going to be listening to the music, but it is a crappy feeling when a band you have listen to for your entire life suddenly decides to change. It's not that Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace was a bad album, but I am sensing some foreshadowing of what might come in their music.

Little_Miss_1565
08-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Out of curiosity, when did you start listening to them?

Ryder1234
08-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Out of curiosity, when did you start listening to them?

This coming from a 17 year listener.

Questions answered.

Little_Miss_1565
08-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Questions answered.

Ah yes, thanks.

And I guess that's where I get confused where the disappointment is coming from. Ignition sounds nothing like the first album. Smash sounds not much like Ignition. Americana is different in many ways from Ixnay. CO1 and Splinter sound the most alike to me, but those albums are several years old at this point, and RAFRAG sounds like a much, much ballsier take on the more modern rock edge their sound started taking on nearly 10 years ago now.

Hypno Toad
08-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Well, When I was a baby my dad would play the early albums in the car, so I have pretty much listened to them my entire life. Obviously I gained a liking for them at a very early age.

Same thing happened with the rolling stones, I got the music hardwired into me.

Oxygene
08-11-2008, 01:06 AM
I got excited recently hearing that the new offspring had been released (yeah, I was a bit slow to find out)

I was a bit disappointed with the direction that the music was moving in, though splinter wasn't bad, most of the songs were kind of weak, and had lost that "offspring feel."

I heard the album, and was shocked that I only found one of the songs appealing (hammerhead) I realize that the offspring are getting on, but age shouldn't be a factor in the genre.

I have been hearing and listening to the offspring since before I can remember, and it is sad to see it going into the pop punk direction.

Anyone who doesn't go apeshit from Half-Truism is lost.. so sorry, the problem lies within you, the offspring are fine, you however are not :)

Free?
08-11-2008, 02:24 AM
I understand how does Hypno Toad feel, all of us were surprised like that after 1st listening of the album. If I would be a musician, I could explain what exactly is that major change of their sound, but, unfortunately, I'm not, so I'll try to do it as I can. The thing is that Offspring never had songs with "the mood of movie ending in sunrise" ( :D). Takes Me Nowhere, Kristy, Nothingtown, Fix You and Rock Bottom have that mood. I'm not talking about lyrics, more about notes. These songs actually are the reason why we feel the sound change so much. But I suggest you give RAFRAG some time, a year or two, let it grow on you and I'm pretty sure you will change your mind. Lyrics and concept are great, try to dig in that direction if you don't like the music. It's not an ordinary album, it's goddamn Offspring album, so you can't just make a decision in a moment.

Stylie
08-11-2008, 03:18 AM
I am still going to be listening to the music, but it is a crappy feeling when a band you have listen to for your entire life suddenly decides to change. It's not that Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace was a bad album, but I am sensing some foreshadowing of what might come in their music.

Uh, what did you just say? I was going to write exactly the same as Miss_1565, but she was first. Anyway - every Offspring album has another sound. You said you've been listening to The Offspring for about 17 years, well...then you should know that every album has another sound and has changed. So is it with RAFRAG. RAFRAG is maybe the "biggest" change of sound and style, but it's still Offspring and it sounds like Offspring. Just another sound again, like every album.

Vera
08-11-2008, 04:32 AM
Wait, you don't mind songs like WDYGAJ but you mind the sound of Rise & Fall? How come? I mean, to me, WDYGAJ is an average tongue-in-cheek song at best, and intentional or not, the melody is a ripoff. It gets kind of annoying. The "poppy" (if you can call them that) songs on Rise & Fall on the other have a distinct, nice sound to them.

On the other hand, you seem to be saying you don't think the album sucked but are afraid they will get more punkpop (or pop punk) as time goes by? Is this a worry of yours or am I reading you wrong?

I'm with a lot of people who said they've had "different" songs and experimentation all through out their career so it's not a huge change, this album. It's just ..really good! :D

Rooster
08-11-2008, 04:51 AM

I'm relieved, at first i thought this was another thread to flame RFRG. Thankfully i was wrong, you only explained how you feel.

Anyway, i understand you feel a bit disappointed at the moment, because the album is in fact different than anything they've done before, but at the same time it's their most diverse yet also - not a single song sounds like the other song from the album, every song has something unique, and that way the album does not get repetitive. I barely notice when it's over, i don't even notice that 43 minutes had passed from the first to the last song. I liked the album instantly, but after some time i liked it even more (and it was one of my favorite albums at the beginning already), so i suggest you to give the album some time, and you might start to really like it.

And since you are a new user - welcome to the boards :)

KHWHD
08-11-2008, 07:28 AM
What I find funny is how you've been a fan for 17 years and you're just finding out now that they had a new album released nearly 2 months ago.

ad8
08-11-2008, 07:55 AM

I feel very much like you in this case. I agree that every album from S/T to Americana (maybe Co1) has brought changes but they all had that Offspring feel to them. When I first listened to RAFRAG, I liked all the songs (except Fix You) instantly. I still like them today but I just listen to Trust In You, YGGFK and Half-Truism regularly. The other songs somehow don't touch me like the older songs do.

Hypno Toad
08-11-2008, 03:33 PM
What I find funny is how you've been a fan for 17 years and you're just finding out now that they had a new album released nearly 2 months ago.

Music isn't my life...

I am currently focused with school, family, computer crap, and social life. Music isn't a priority. That doesn't mean I don't have a right to express my opinions about the album.

Don't think that this is some hate thread for the new album, the album wasn't bad, but IMO it is representing a falling action for the band. The music has changed, and rating weren't great for the album. I hope that things level out, so to speak. I am just concerned about the direction of one of my favorite bands.

KHWHD
08-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Music isn't my life...

I am currently focused with school, family, computer crap, and social life. Music isn't a priority. That doesn't mean I don't have a right to express my opinions about the album.

Don't think that this is some hate thread for the new album, the album wasn't bad, but IMO it is representing a falling action for the band. The music has changed, and rating weren't great for the album. I hope that things level out, so to speak. I am just concerned about the direction of one of my favorite bands.

Out of curiousity, how old are you?

one hundred punks
08-11-2008, 03:42 PM
After many listens this is one of my three favorite offspring albums.I feel there is no filler at all.Potentially they have six or so strong singles.

KHWHD
08-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Oh, and I never said you didn't have a right to express how you feel or what you think about the "new" album.

Hypno Toad
08-11-2008, 03:47 PM
That aside, I have this odd feeling that you are hostile towards me.

BTW, I am 17.

I can see that you like the new album, so there is no point in me further arguing with you. I don't like where the band is going, and you do, fair enough. Don't try to tell me why the new album is better, because I have an opinion, and so do you.

KHWHD
08-11-2008, 03:51 PM
That aside, I have this odd feeling that you are hostile towards me.

BTW, I am 17.

Hostile, no. I don't hate/dislike anyone. So you're 17 years old and you've been a fan for 17 years? WOWZERS!!

Hypno Toad
08-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Hostile, no. I don't hate/dislike anyone. So you're 17 years old and you've been a fan for 17 years? WOWZERS!!

Technically I have been a fan for 14 years, but I have been physically listening to them for 17. Because it was played around me at an early age. So I have a burned in liking for the music.

KHWHD
08-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Lol, ok. :confused:

lost_nvrfound
08-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Technically I have been a fan for 14 years, but I have been physically listening to them for 17. Because it was played around me at an early age. So I have a burned in liking for the music.
Now, I can understand where you are coming from. I've been listening since their songs hit the airwaves here on the east coast. Every time they release a new album, I have this brief "wtf?" period (Splinter more than any other album) where it feels so different than all of their previous stuff. But when I go back and listen through some of their older stuff, it seems to me that its been a steady evolution for their music. I think what makes it feel soo different is that the recording style is soo different than it used to be. But clips of these songs live are just as beastly as song of old.

As with all of their previous albums, there are songs I love and there are songs I could live without. Its been a long road to accepting this about any band I've listened to. I think that their updating their style isn't a bad thing. These boards are crawling with people who got into more recent stuff first and have worked their way back in time. Their newer edge appeals more to new fans and still rocks to us veterans.

leib10
08-12-2008, 08:42 AM
After listening to the album many times, I have come to the conclusion that The Offspring's latest album was designed to sell more than any other album previously and also to appeal to a wider audience than before. Unfortunately, that audience includes those who like soft pop and Green Day-flavored pop punk. It's also clear that if they hadn't gone mainstream before this (a highly debatable claim, but irrelevant for the moment) they certainly have now. The Offspring I always knew shined through in one or two songs, but it's not enough. There were simply too many songs like Fix You and Kristy, Are You Doing Okay? for me to really enjoy it. The album was also grossly overproduced (Bob Rock strikes again!).

It's probably the last time I will purchase an album by them simply because it's by them (assuming they don't throw in the towel after this, which isn't looking too bad if this is what we can expect in the future). I'll keep an eye on them, but not so close and careful of one.

Little_Miss_1565
08-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Come on, Brendan O'Brien did a lot more overproducing than Bob Rock ever did, it's just fashionable to hate on Bob Rock after that petition from Metallica fans.

If you dig the tunes, cool. If you don't, that's cool too, just don't expect people to care, you know?

lost_nvrfound
08-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Come on, Dave Jerden did a lot more overproducing than Bob Rock ever did, it's just fashionable to hate on Bob Rock after that petition from Metallica fans.

If you dig the tunes, cool. If you don't, that's cool too, just don't expect people to care, you know?

HAHA! Well put.

jacknife737
08-12-2008, 12:52 PM
After listening to the album many times, I have come to the conclusion that The Offspring's latest album was designed to sell more than any other album previously and also to appeal to a wider audience than before. Unfortunately, that audience includes those who like soft pop and Green Day-flavored pop punk. It's also clear that if they hadn't gone mainstream before this (a highly debatable claim, but irrelevant for the moment) they certainly have now. The Offspring I always knew shined through in one or two songs, but it's not enough. There were simply too many songs like Fix You and Kristy, Are You Doing Okay? for me to really enjoy it. The album was also grossly overproduced (Bob Rock strikes again!).

Yeah, it's not as if the band has ever put out any novelty singles in the past.......

Ninty Man
08-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah, it's not as if the band has ever put out any novelty singles in the past.......

LOL... I mean, this album is pretty... well, I felt it more personal from Offspring

Hypno Toad
08-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Personal, but they could have been better spoken. You can't support an argument of belief with nothing to back it up.

Little_Miss_1565
08-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Personal, but they could have been better spoken. You can't support an argument of belief with nothing to back it up.

But isn't that kind of what you've done in this thread? You said yourself, it's really kind of pointless to argue that the album sucks when clearly you don't like the album and others do.

IamSam
08-13-2008, 08:55 PM

I would take the 'novelty singles' on this album over any on Splinter. Fucking Spare Me the Details.

Kitten
08-14-2008, 07:15 AM
I would take the 'novelty singles' on this album over any on Splinter. Fucking Spare Me the Details.

IamSam, please don't turn this thread into a hating on the other albums thread. Hypno Toad, I can kinda see the direction you are coming from, and while I really do enjoy this album, it just doesn't have a rawness to it. However, you mentioned that this is more of a pop punk direction for them, but it is one they have been taking for a while.

IamSam
08-14-2008, 09:35 AM
IamSam, please don't turn this thread into a hating on the other albums thread.

I'm not. I was voicing my opinion based off another post. And seeing that no one built off of what I said, I don't think your post was necessary. Now please, continue with the discussion at hand.

Dex90
08-14-2008, 09:49 AM

I agree with u except i think the first 6 tracks of the album plus shit is fucked up n the verse for lets hear it for rock bottom are amazing n i think its some of the best stuff theyve every done..however the rest like kristy nothingtown fix u n rise n fall are way too radio friendly..im fine with them branchin out but not when they copy other bands style, i wudve loved to hear some slow stuff with the classic dark offspring feel but those just sound like all the other radio pop punk bands

Ninty Man
08-14-2008, 01:30 PM
I agree with u except i think the first 6 tracks of the album plus shit is fucked up n the verse for lets hear it for rock bottom are amazing n i think its some of the best stuff theyve every done..however the rest like kristy nothingtown fix u n rise n fall are way too radio friendly..im fine with them branchin out but not when they copy other bands style, i wudve loved to hear some slow stuff with the classic dark offspring feel but those just sound like all the other radio pop punk bands

MMM... they are radio friendly since self titled: I'll be waiting, Jennifer Lost the war, Kick him, dirty magic... BUT IS MY OPINION

Redjie
08-14-2008, 06:03 PM
What happened? Well, they released a new album. That fucking rocks. The only thing I don't like in this album is the way it sounds, as in, songs are way too loud and they sound kinda weird, kinda I don't know, fake? Too much digital. As for the songs, I think they are awesome and definitely some of their best songs ever. So, what happened again? They released it and they rocked it. It's evolution.