PDA

View Full Version : Something that really pisses me off!!!

KHWHD
08-13-2008, 07:25 AM
How everytime I go to take a look at eBay (again, doing my Offspring shopping :p) I find usually 2-3 different sellers selling "autographed" pictures, CD's, LP's, microphones, etc.

Every single person says that they're authentic items and that they personally had them autographed. It infuriates me to see that people just go to their concerts, take a bunch of stuff with them, get them signed, then sell them on eBay. My point is that these people are making money off of The Offsprings fame/popularity just to make money for themselves (the sellers.) That disgusts me. So many people out there only care about themselves, and as long as they make money off of other peoples fame - they're happy. :mad: :mad:

dr.vanessa
08-13-2008, 07:31 AM
How everytime I go to take a look at eBay (again, doing my Offspring shopping :p) I find usually 2-3 different sellers selling "autographed" pictures, CD's, LP's, microphones, etc.

Every single person says that they're authentic items and that they personally had them autographed. It infuriates me to see that people just go to their concerts, take a bunch of stuff with them, get them signed, then sell them on eBay. My point is that these people are making money off of The Offsprings fame/popularity just to make money for themselves (the sellers.) That disgusts me. So many people out there only care about themselves, and as long as they make money off of other peoples fame - they're happy. :mad: :mad:

yeah!you are sooooo right!!!

mrs_hollandova
08-13-2008, 08:20 AM
O girl, I wanna have your problems!

Gustavo
08-13-2008, 08:37 AM
Yeah, that pisses me off too.
I will NEVER sell my autograph!!!
I'm so thankful for having it.

KHWHD
08-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Yeah, that pisses me off too.
I will NEVER sell my autograph!!!
I'm so thankful for having it.

IF I had one, I'd never sell it either. Plus, I'd NEVER buy one off of eBay either.

disclaimer_07
08-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Yea, getting autographs just to sell them on eBay is a pretty nasty thing to do.

Blitzkrieg Bop
08-13-2008, 08:53 AM
I can understand where you are coming from, kinda annoys me to. I personally would love to have an autographed item from The Offspring, but it would mean so much more to me, if they signed it in my presence and then I would treasure it for life :)

I wouldn't buy an autographed item for it doesn't have any memory attached to it.

Free?
08-13-2008, 08:58 AM
As long as there be fans who will buy autographed stuff, there will be such moneymakers. I don't think that it's very low thing to do, of course that's not cute, but take a look on them from the other side - they sell to fans what they want, if there weren't such people, it would be pretty impossible to get autographed stuff. In the end you are supporting them.

And wouldn't you sell Brittney's autograph for a good amount of cash? I definitely would! :D

Stylie
08-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Home at Stue's apartment:

- Hey, I got an autograph by Offspring!! :D
- Cool, where did you get that from? :D
- I bought it?
- Uhm...

No, seriously, that was a bad one. I'm gone for a while now. I need food.

Camilamazed
08-13-2008, 10:46 AM
As long as there be fans who will buy autographed stuff, there will be such moneymakers.

Exactly, the problem is not the seller, it's definitely the buyer. if people stopped buying such things, they would not do that. What makes me sad is that most of the people that gets to the bands after shows and stuff are not real fans. so these ebay sellers take place of real fans who would like to meet the band.

lost_nvrfound
08-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. But that Ixnay on The Hombre poster with all four signatures is pretty damn cool. I'm broke anyway... It would feel weird to buy their autographs... Doesn't make sense to me.

Now buying an autographed early LP is a little different.

I found this guy selling their first recording with it signed. Its CRAAAZY expensive though.

Rutegard
08-13-2008, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't buy an autographed item for it doesn't have any memory attached to it.

exactly the point!!

KHWHD
08-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Exactly, the problem is not the seller, it's definitely the buyer. if people stopped buying such things, they would not do that. What makes me sad is that most of the people that gets to the bands after shows and stuff are not real fans. so these ebay sellers take place of real fans who would like to meet the band.

I respectfully disagree with you. It's both the seller AND the buyer. People just go to concerts to get autographs so they can sell them on eBay to people to make THEMSELVES money. They're being selfish, and I think it's morally wrong.

Capricorn4
08-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Yeah it's much more memorable when you get one directly from the band.

Ryder1234
08-13-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm willing to bet that the majority of them are fakes.

randman21
08-13-2008, 02:08 PM
I personally don't have a problem with it. Maybe not all of those guys are taking advantage of their fame. Maybe some need the money for their moms' triple-bypass next Friday. Or maybe they are, in fact, real fans. I wouldn't spend however-many-bucks (admittedly, I've never been to a concert) to see a band I don't like play to just possibly break even. Also, if I were an artist, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't mind. It's not bread off my table.

Free?
08-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Yes, it's not right, yes, band's autographs weren't meant for sale, yes, that's unfair when autograph sellers meet the band instead of true fans, but imo you bother about them too much. I'll repeat my question,

Would you sell Brittney's autograph for good cash? It's the same, if you are not a fan and don't respect the artist even a bit, just were lucky enough to get autographs, why selling such stuff would be bad? Yes, it would make Brittney's fans hate you, but you wouldn't give a damn about that.

And I would buy Offspring autographed thingy if it would be cheap, why not? I would pay two bucks for an autographed photo (if it would look real enough). If one of my friends would tell me that he sold Offspring autographs, I would just tell him that he sucks with a smile, I wouldn't hate and it wouldn't be a problem at all.

MAXTER
08-13-2008, 06:18 PM

Hey Shank...
I Bought On Ebay Too, but not autographed Offspring's things.
Second me it's better an autograph From Dexter & Co. in person when your meet it. That's Happiness!!!:D

nameless
08-14-2008, 06:21 PM
i do think its morally wrong but not in the same way for example ticket touts operate. no one is really being held to ransom for an item that has limited availability. i cant see them making a great deal of money either seeing as the majority of people wouldnt buy the items it seems seeing as it takes away the kinda joy that you got it signed personally and also you can never really tell if things are genuine.

all things considered, on the last two occasions ive seen the offsping, despite waiting round for hours after each gig, i never managed to meet any of the band! maybe the fact that they are quite hard to catch at shows is why some people do buy the goods!

brothadave79
08-14-2008, 11:35 PM
I really don't see any problem with it whatsoever. It's their property. They can do whatever they want with it. It's not an issue of morality. In a way, they even perform a service to fans who have never been fortunate enough to meet the band and get an autograph themselves. If the price was right, I would certainly buy an authentic autograph because it would serve as a "connection" to the band I have never been able to experience - and have no guarantee of ever doing so.

Rag Doll
08-14-2008, 11:50 PM
What makes me sad is that most of the people that gets to the bands after shows and stuff are not real fans. so these ebay sellers take place of real fans who would like to meet the band.

That's what bothers me. Not the actual buying/selling.

I've paid for autographs, but only directly from the celebrity at a convention. My father, on the other hand, will buy autographs from people and will also sell (he was actually going to sell a signed Offspring backstage pass, but ended up keeping it because he thought they were such nice guys).

leo3375
08-15-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm willing to bet that the majority of them are fakes.

In my experience perusing eBay looking for "autographed" goods (I'll never, EVER buy an autograph!), I've found that the more proof provided of the autograph's authenticity, the more likely it is to be forged. And I've seen a few fake Offspring autographs.

I will never sell my signed "Club Me" shirt. The memories I associate with it have made it absolutely priceless to me.

-L-
08-23-2008, 08:59 AM
If I had one, I'd never sell it!!! And also I'd never buy one. I'm just waiting for my own.

Oxygene
08-23-2008, 09:27 AM
If I had one, I'd never sell it!!! And also I'd never buy one. I'm just waiting for my own.

I'm curious, all you people who say you want to get it in person not buy it:
would you accept one as a present?

KHWHD
08-23-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm curious, all you people who say you want to get it in person not buy it:
would you accept one as a present?

I would, all depending on if it was the real deal or not. And as long as the person sending it, DIDN'T buy it.

RageAndLov
08-23-2008, 05:22 PM
My point is that these people are making money off of The Offsprings fame/popularity just to make money for themselves (the sellers.)

MTV have done that with Offspring's videos for 14 years, and so has Colombia, Offspring's (major) label, and so did Offspring's old label, Epitaph!
So all these big companies wants to make money of The Offspring, cuz they are really famous, but they doesn't care about the band itself, as long the big companies get the money they want!

Offspring should be inspired by bands like NOFX, who doesn't want anyone abusing their fame, and do everything themselves, and not give videos to MTV and such!