PDA

View Full Version : Question about cats (females)

KHWHD
08-13-2008, 10:03 PM
This may seem like a really strange thread, but I'm somewhat curious/wierded out by my 2 cats.

My oldest cat (Sweet Pea) just turned 3, and my youngest kitten (Dexter) will be 3 months old at the end of the month.

Sweet Pea is NOT Dexters Mom. I had Dexter givin' to me. Now I've seen this happen 3-4 times when I've walked into the room or where ever they are. To me it looks like Dexter is sucking Sweet Peas' nipple. Is that normal? I'm beginning to think that Sweet Pea is a dyke. :confused: The only reasonable explanation I have is that Sweet Pea thinks that Dexter is her baby and Sweet Pea is her Mom? And Sweet Pea has never had a litter before, so she can't be milking. Anyone know if what she's doing is normal?

And please don't laugh at me, cause I'm dead serious. :confused:

lost_nvrfound
08-13-2008, 10:20 PM
it seems like maybe dexter still remembers "female = food"

she prolly sees sweet pea as a motherfigure... maybe...

hopefully it'll just pass

drummerbecca
08-14-2008, 03:40 AM
It's totally normal. I have 3 female cats so I've seen it before. One of them had a litter of kittens a few months before we got her, but they had all been rehomed and she had stopped producing milk as it wasn't needed. When we got our youngest one as a kitten, she was doing the same thing. I think it's just a comfort thing for kittens to be honest, and I think a maternal instinct just kicks in with the older cats. Dexter will probably grow out of it in time :D

nieh
08-14-2008, 04:50 AM
Sweet Pea is acting like the mom because the real mom is not there. It happens.

Kitten
08-14-2008, 05:52 AM
I have a kitten that always used to do that to my 3 year old male cat. It's a comfort thing. How old is Dexter, or how old was she when she was removed from her mother?

KHWHD
08-14-2008, 08:04 AM
I have a kitten that always used to do that to my 3 year old male cat. It's a comfort thing. How old is Dexter, or how old was she when she was removed from her mother?

Dexter was born on May 23rd, so almost 3 months old. I've had her now for 2 1/2 weeks.

I just didn't know if it was normal, or if it was something I should be concerned about. I've had cats my entire life, but I've only had 1 cat at a time. This being the first time having 2 at the same time.

nieh
08-14-2008, 08:44 AM
It's not something to worry about and it's not that abnormal, even though it's not necesarilly something you'll see every day. The older cat is sort of adopting the younger one.

Rag Doll
08-14-2008, 09:29 AM
It's possible the young one was taken away too soon. Two of my cats took to sucking on furry blankets/stuffed animals/my mom's lap because they were removed from their mother too soon....and my older female cat would have totally bitchslapped them if they tried it on her.

KHWHD
08-14-2008, 09:31 AM
It's possible the young one was taken away too soon. Two of my cats took to sucking on furry blankets/stuffed animals/my mom's lap because they were removed from their mother too soon....and my older female cat would have totally bitchslapped them if they tried it on her.

That's what surprises me with Sweet Pea. She's a miserable bitch, believe me. I got Dexter for both Sweet Pea and my daughters. I thought since SP is so bitchy all the time, she'd love a friend to play with. And it only took about 3-4 days for SP to get used to Dexter. Now they're stuck together like 2 peas in a pod.

Rag Doll
08-14-2008, 09:37 AM
My older male cat was like that with my female kitten. He definitely became "daddy" to her until we had to put him to sleep six months ago. Which was surprising, because he was definitely only affectionate with humans....he used to attack my other female cat constantly. It's cute/nice when they get along so well =). I'm looking to get another cat (will probably need to wait until next year though, unless I can magically find kittens in the winter) and hopefully it'll get along well with the younger female cat I have (mentioned above).

SaiKYoU
08-14-2008, 10:14 AM
even if she's not his mother she as a older female may act as a mother...

it's called adoption...