PDA

View Full Version : Albums that have grown on you/decreased on you over time?

Keep 'em Seperated
08-15-2008, 02:03 AM
Sorry if there is already a thread like this but anyway, though it'd be interesting to see what Offspring albums have grown on you over time and albums you have liked less over time?

Splinter for me is the one that has grown on me the most. I think, bar Worst Hangover Ever, Da Hui and When You're in Prison, its an awesome album. Yes I do like Hit That, its a fun song with a serious message, and Spare Me The Details is also fun. I quite like how the two break up a very instrumentally dark album with a bit of light hearted music. I think if Worst Hangover Ever and Da Hui are swapped with Defy You and Can't Repeat (dificult with both I know because they didn't exist at the time of Splinter :p) and another two good tracks (I add in Huck It and Next to You, because such good tracks need to be more than just bonus tracks) then the album is one of the Offsprings best. I like the similarities to Americana this album has, a balance between extremely serious and a bit of fun. A track list of

1. Neocon
2. The Noose
3. Long Way Home
4. Hit That
5. Race Against Myself
6. Head Around You
7. Defy You
8. Never Gonna Find Me
9. Lightning Rod
10. Spare Me the Details
11. Next To You
12. Huck It
13. Can't Repeat
14. When You're In Prison (hidden Track)

I'd buy that.

holland25
08-15-2008, 03:04 AM
Huck it fits CO1 perfectly, no need to use it on Splinter.

And I like Da Hui and hate Hit That.

Budzy
08-15-2008, 03:19 AM
Huck it fits CO1 perfectly, no need to use it on Splinter.

And I like Da Hui and hate Hit That.

Yea huck it goes on CO1 fo sho. i dont see why they only whacked it on as a sorta bonus song tho.
i love Hit That.

ThunderPX
08-15-2008, 04:06 AM
Defy You definitely existed when Splinter was made. It was recorded in 2001, last thing they did with Ron Welty. They even said on the site that it was going to be on "the next album" (i.e. Splinter) but I guess they dropped it because Ron left.

Blitzkrieg Bop
08-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Next To You is a cover song, so it wouldn't fit into your selection for me, but would be good as a bonus track (GH ;) ). I wouldn't be too thrilled to buy a new Offspring album where a cover song is on their track list ... got to be original Offspring.

The only album of the band that has grown on me is CO1 and I would rank it 8th on my list ... the rest I took to immediately :D

lost_nvrfound
08-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Yea huck it goes on CO1 fo sho. i dont see why they only whacked it on as a sorta bonus song tho.
i love Hit That.

They like to give people in other countries bonus songs.

Has anyone noticed how all the really big bands do that?

Other countries get an extra song, while the US is left to wander about the internet risking life and hard drive to download a bootleg of it.

Jaded skies
08-15-2008, 12:32 PM
ive recently found i love splinter more than co1 and idk how im saying this but i coulnt get into ignition the other day. i think im just sick or something.

medi01
08-15-2008, 12:37 PM
ignition's grown on me the most, i used to right it off as 'b4 they were big and succesful'... but all the songs are great

as for the huck it discusion i think it fits great on CO1, but think it should have been on all versions as it really kicks ass at the end of the album (twas on my version anyway:D)

holland25
08-15-2008, 12:37 PM
but I wouldn't be too thrilled to buy a new Offspring album where a cover song is on their track list

'Scuse me, but what about Killboy Powerhead? :D

F@ BANKZ
08-15-2008, 01:04 PM
In my opinion, Splinter would be a lot worse if it didn't have Da Hui and quite similarly Co1 would be a lot worse if it Huck It was absent (which in many cases, it is). They give the albums a finale that prevents them from being "too poppy".

People are not keen on Da Hui, and neither was I for a time, but I really love it, Never Gonna/Lightning Rod to Spare Me The Details to Da Hui gives Splinter a very stylish finish.

jacknife737
08-15-2008, 04:00 PM
I’ve had kind of a love/hate thing going on for a while with Conspiracy of One. I adored it when it was first released, then I completely despised about 90% of it, writing it off as a failed attempt of making Americana Pt. 2.

Now, I really enjoy the album. Yes it has it’s weaker tracks (glares at Original Prankster), and it’s certainly not the band’s best work, but it still has more then its fair share of solid tracks. It’s a shame that the band don’t really play much of it live anymore.

Redjie
08-15-2008, 04:03 PM
CO1 has grown on me really bad and so did the Self Titled. Yeah, specially this one, I didn't use to hear it that much but now I'm listening to it really often.

Dex90
08-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Sorry if there is already a thread like this but anyway, though it'd be interesting to see what Offspring albums have grown on you over time and albums you have liked less over time?

Splinter for me is the one that has grown on me the most. I think, bar Worst Hangover Ever, Da Hui and When You're in Prison, its an awesome album. Yes I do like Hit That, its a fun song with a serious message, and Spare Me The Details is also fun. I quite like how the two break up a very instrumentally dark album with a bit of light hearted music. I think if Worst Hangover Ever and Da Hui are swapped with Defy You and Can't Repeat (dificult with both I know because they didn't exist at the time of Splinter :p) and another two good tracks (I add in Huck It and Next to You, because such good tracks need to be more than just bonus tracks) then the album is one of the Offsprings best. I like the similarities to Americana this album has, a balance between extremely serious and a bit of fun. A track list of

1. Neocon
2. The Noose
3. Long Way Home
4. Hit That
5. Race Against Myself
6. Head Around You
7. Defy You
8. Never Gonna Find Me
9. Lightning Rod
10. Spare Me the Details
11. Next To You
12. Huck It
13. Can't Repeat
14. When You're In Prison (hidden Track)

I'd buy that.
i always thought splinter was fukin awesome, just it was a bit short..n hit that is an awesome song cuz its poppy but in THEIR style unlike kristy n fix u n rise n fall!
i think RAFRAG cudve been one of if not the best if they swapped kristy with lightning rod and rise and fall with the noose and swapped fix you with a slow, acoustic version of leave it behind

1.Half Truism
2. Trust In You
3. You're Gonna Go Far Kid
4. Hammerhead
5. A lot Like Me
6. The Noose
7.Takes me Nowhere
8. Nothingtown
9. Shit is fucked up
10. Lets hear it For Rock Bottom
11. Lightning Rod
12. Leave It Behind (acoustic)

Blitzkrieg Bop
08-16-2008, 10:44 AM
'Scuse me, but what about Killboy Powerhead? :D

Like I said, I wouldn't be too thrilled :D Honestly when I posted yesterday, Killboy Powerhead never even crossed my mind ;)