PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is the most intelligent offspring song?

Tyler Durden
08-16-2008, 09:07 PM
In what song do you think dexter showed the most intellectuality or grasp of historical comprehension?

KHWHD
08-16-2008, 09:27 PM
In what song do you think dexter showed the most intellectuality or grasp of historical comprehension?

Shit Is Fucked Up. :D :D :D

Tyler Durden
08-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Shit Is Fucked Up. :D :D :D

While the song is up there it doesn't necessarily add anything new or stimulating, basically just a typical punk song.

As for my answer i'm going to have to think about it, i need to relisten to their earlier albums.

Ryder1234
08-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Any song on the self titled. Except maybe beheaded. His lyrics are really strong on it.

Blastero
08-16-2008, 09:56 PM
Bad Habit. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Tyler Durden
08-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Any song on the self titled. Except maybe beheaded. His lyrics are really strong on it.

Sorry but you're going to have to be more specific, after all there's only 8 albums to choose from.

Bad Habit. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Are you serious? I really hope you're joking but if not even if you really like a song it doesn't necessarily mean it's intelligent, while it may be intelligent in the way that it is composed i am mainly talking about lyrics here. I'm just interested in what people think are songs where dexter obviously knows what he is talking about and given the lyrics a fair amount of consideration.

KHWHD
08-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Kristy, Are You Doing Ok? How about that one?

drex878
08-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Pretty Fly (For a White Guy) and I'm being serious.

Tyler Durden
08-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Kristy, Are You Doing Ok? How about that one?

Hell nah, while i like the song it's pretty evident that dexter has no idea what he's talking about. And if the events really did happen in his life he explained them horribly. Basically the song tries to leave an emotional impression but fails.

Pretty Fly (For a White Guy) and I'm being serious.

Hmmm, while the song is certainly a step-up for his lyrical abilities and it includes a good number of outside references i think that some of the lines are a bit iffy and disgustingly corny. Although i must say it's definitely an interesting song branching in categories that they've never really explored before and it certainly doesn't deserve all the hatred it gets because the chorus is honestly one of their strongest moments of musical composition. Then again i was only 5 when the song was released so i can't recall how annoying it was.

KHWHD
08-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Hell nah, while i like the song it's pretty evident that dexter has no idea what he's talking about. And if the events really did happen in his life he explained them horribly. Basically the song tries to leave an emotional impression but fails.

Wow, that's harsh. :confused:

lost_nvrfound
08-16-2008, 10:33 PM

This song really hits home with me... Not to sound all attention grabbing or whoreing, when you lived it, the song has a really strong message

Tyler Durden
08-16-2008, 10:42 PM
This song really hits home with me... Not to sound all attention grabbing or whoreing, when you lived it, the song has a really strong message

I understand if you've gone through sexual abuse yourself and can connect with the song but honestly it's not very intellectually stimulating and doesn't really convey emotions that one would have in such a situation.

KHWHD
08-16-2008, 10:49 PM
I understand if you've gone through sexual abuse yourself and can connect with the song but honestly it's not very intellectually stimulating and doesn't really convey emotions that one would have in such a situation.

So what are your choices since it seems no one can compare to you.... even though you haven't listed one song yet.

lost_nvrfound
08-16-2008, 10:52 PM
well anyway, I think their best song intellectually is Vultures but thats just me...

really I'm jsut pulling that out my ass

Tyler Durden
08-16-2008, 10:52 PM
So what are your choices since it seems no one can compare to you.... even though you haven't listed one song yet.

The reason why i'm being a bit of a devil's advocate here is because it's needed for interesting discussion, i want to see why people feel the way they do and you won't get that result by agreeing with people all the time. Also like i said i have faint memory of their earlier discography so i need to go back again and listen so i can truly make up my mind.

KHWHD
08-16-2008, 10:54 PM
The reason why i'm being a bit of a devil's advocate here is because it's needed for interesting discussion, i want to see why people feel the way they do and you won't get that result by agreeing with people all the time. Also like i said i have faint memory of their earlier discography so i need to go back again and listen so i can truly make up my mind.

How old are you? How long have you been a fan?

Tyler Durden
08-16-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm 14, been a fan since i was like 6 or 7. Rest assured i have listened to all their albums but RAFRAG was the first time i listened to them in a while so i'm kind've revisiting them. Also if somebody provides a certain song that i agree with i will say so, i do take other peoples' opinions into consideration but i just want to know why.

KHWHD
08-16-2008, 10:58 PM
^ LOL. Ok.. I'll shut up before someone bitch slaps me.

lost_nvrfound
08-16-2008, 10:59 PM
I'm 14, been a fan since i was like 6 or 7. Rest assured i have listened to all their albums but RAFRAG was the first time i listened to them in a while so i'm kind've revisiting them. Also if somebody provides a certain song that i agree with i will say so, i do take other peoples' opinions into consideration but i just want to know why.

You have no clue the kind of messages you're going to continue to miss for quite sometime... You'll see what I mean when you get past highschool

Tyler Durden
08-16-2008, 11:02 PM
No i'm pretty sure i'll think the same about kristy even when i finish highschool.

lost_nvrfound
08-16-2008, 11:03 PM
I didn't mean that song. References and stuff that you aren't old enough to remember

Tyler Durden
08-16-2008, 11:05 PM
If i don't understand a reference i'll look it up, i'm on the freakin internet.

lost_nvrfound
08-16-2008, 11:07 PM
how will you know that a reference is there if its obscure? i'm not talking blatant ones that a deaf blind monkey could catch and google

Tyler Durden
08-16-2008, 11:07 PM
Can you give me an example then?

lost_nvrfound
08-16-2008, 11:10 PM
first off, what is hammerhead about?

second, what is conspiracy of one about? the song, i mean.

Tyler Durden
08-16-2008, 11:13 PM
The band has claimed that hammerhead is about school shootings and dexter explained what conspiracy of one is about in that dexter on song entry. Still even if they didn't make such claims i could have most likely figured them out on my own.

lost_nvrfound
08-16-2008, 11:14 PM
hahaha... ok... i'm done with this... i don't know why i'm arguing with some middle school kid anyways...

Tyler Durden
08-16-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm going into 10th grade. And you haven't said anything to make me look foolish at all, what the hell is wrong with you?

Little_Miss_1565
08-16-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm questioning your criteria for "intelligent" as it pertains to the songs and I'm not sure that any of his high points would fit the narrow definition you give. Dexter doesn't have the Tourette's-like urge to throw advanced vocabulary into his lyrics like a certain other songwriter for another band that may or may not share a logo font. Several songs mentioned in this thread show a pretty solid emotional intelligence, though, like "Pretty Fly" and "Kristy," but you don't seem to be willing to see that side of it.

(BTW, aside to Lost, I've lived it and that's why I actually don't like the song all that much and can't listen to it without making the dinosaur face because the lyrics are so literal. But that's how I deal with it, which is different than how anyone else might deal with it. I give Dexter much e-props for his intent, though.)

Anyway, I think Dexter's at his best when he's describing social and emotional situations. Like any songwriter, it's not a guaranteed sweet spot, but hey.

Tyler Durden
08-16-2008, 11:52 PM
I see what you're saying but i don't define intelligence by vocabulary and references alone even if i made it a bit unclear in my first post, but i'm mainly looking for understanding of the things they are talking about. Lots of bands not including the offspring just throw political and historical references into their songs without showing any sign of understanding. I also respect the fact that dexter was trying to describe the emotional consequences of rape but like i said before i honestly didn't learn anything or get any idea about the victim's emotions from the song itself and for that i can't call it good lyrical writing. Of course the offspring has never been about lyrics but i just wanted to see what people thought were their most intelligent songs and why. I am willing to see the other side of things but if i disagree with something i will not hesitate to say why i feel the song is not intelligent, for example i do not feel that kristy has any form of intelligence whatsoever be it emotional or comprehensive intelligence but i find it interesting what other people thought about it which is why i made this thread.

Little_Miss_1565
08-16-2008, 11:57 PM
The thing about a discussion is that it goes two or more ways. All you're doing is eliciting responses and then shooting them down, not offering any input of your own.

Re: "Kristy," you're criticizing it for not including the survivor's emotional impact, but the song isn't about that. It's about how the song's narrator was responding to the fact that something horrible had happened to a girl he knew and his emotional journey regarding that. It's about Kristy, but not really. So I think you're seeing it as unsuccessful because you're not defining its success well.

adombomb222
08-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Pay The Man, Americana and Change The World are all up there.

IamSam
08-17-2008, 12:13 AM
For me, I Choose, Pay the Man, and Staring at the Sun.

I Choose is a great commentary on life, Pay the Man is just damn beautiful in wordplay, and Staring at the Sun is another great look on life.

Pretty Fly is a very good social commentary, but everyone always downgrades it 'cause 'it's too poppy.'

Kristy has a good message and is very well written. But to me Dexter could have just written that song while watching a marathon of Law and Order: SVU.

Ryder1234
08-17-2008, 12:57 AM
I'm 14

Lol, I'm 14 too.

As for being specific, I really can't. Every song except for Beheaded is very strong lyrically. If I had to chose, probably Demons or I'll Be Waiting.

adombomb222
08-17-2008, 01:03 AM
Fucking 14 year old's...
Just kidding, I love ya!

Also:
Pretty much all of Smash. I just listened to almost the entire record and yea.

Tyler Durden
08-17-2008, 02:03 AM
I guess i should have made up my own mind before making a thread about it. Sorry if i came off as a jerk or something.

ad8
08-17-2008, 02:12 AM
I'd probably go with either I'll Be Waiting, Change The World, It'll Be a Long Time or Not The One.

Bassman18
08-17-2008, 02:17 AM
Have You Ever is an interesting song I think.

Tonza
08-17-2008, 02:53 AM
Have You Ever is an interesting song I think.
Yep I was just about to say the same. Have You Ever is definately one of the cleverest songs Offspring ever made. Another is Half-Truism (I think there is pretty deep symbolism in this song: "The banner your waving is burning and red, it's blocking the sunlight that shines overhead...")

holland25
08-17-2008, 03:57 AM
The Blurb. Definitely.

It even has an intelligent title.

ad8
08-17-2008, 04:36 AM
The Blurb. Definitely.

It even has an intelligent title.

Yeah, the lyrics are really deep in this one:D

Diego06
08-17-2008, 04:47 AM
The songs that i think lyrics are really interresant are:
-Out On patrol
-Smash
-Mota
-Change the world
-Pretty fly
-Pay the man
-Conspiracy of One
-The noose
And all the songs of "Rise and fall rage and grace" specially "You're gonna go far kid" and "Rise and fall"

JeromeFleur
08-17-2008, 05:02 AM
I didn't check all the songs, but I think that for me, the two songs that have the most intellectual values would be Have you ever and Shit is fucked up.

I tried to explain why i thought have you ever had great lyrics, but it's too hard for me in english. For Shit is fucked up... I read that someone thought it was a normal punk song. Maybe... but a lot of engaged punks lyrics, those days, are a bit crappy and not very nuanced. Like capitalism is bad, it is so bad, yeah, you know, we're against multinationals, but we don't really know why.

I think Dexter realized it, and that's why he has been so critical in interviews recently against political bands who don't really know what they're talking about. And why he doesn't seem to like his early lyrics so much.

But SIFU has a pertinent message : we catch so much informations in the medias, those days, that it's very hard to separate the good from the bad ones. It's pretty confusing. The bridge when he's saying a lot of things really fast goes that way. Like the form of the song is serving the message, and that's brilliant. I also really like the part «I think we’re losing this fight, Sponsored by Bud Light». Like if even the fight vs capitalism, now, is sponsored. Pretty ironic. And not completly false.

This is not only a political song. This is a good, intelligent political song. And it's very hard to do. That's why it is so great.

(Sorry for bad english...;))

yellow
08-17-2008, 06:14 AM
All of th Offspring's music is intelligent on some level. Most of their songs have intelligence on multiple levels. We all know Dex is 'genius smart' but a lot of people don't realize how fucking smart Noodles and Greg K. are. They both have expertise's in many areas, very intelligent and are continuously learning new things all the time. It is my opinion that whenever the Offspring create music,intelligence in the music comes standard in their songs.
Whenever I listen to the Offsprings music I get a sense that they put a lot of thought, effort and consideration into the lyrics and music to create the great songs that anyone can relate to on a human level.
Also some of the Offsprings songs get me thru those tough moments in life.

shanna_guarana
08-17-2008, 06:21 AM
the whole Smash! ende

Kickdrum
08-17-2008, 07:27 AM
For me, I've always been struck by the lyrics of "I'll Be Waiting"...One of my favorite songs.

Pepparoo
08-17-2008, 07:56 AM
One fine day and Genocide.

Slim Pickens The Bomb Rider
08-17-2008, 08:02 AM
I think Ixnay has the strongest lyrics

effreyj
08-17-2008, 08:13 AM
I would say the songs with the deepest lyrics are:

Blackball
Nitro
Genocide
Come out and Play
It'll Be a Long Time
Have You Ever
Americana
Can't Repeat
Half-Truism
Stuff is Messed Up

F@ BANKZ
08-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Fix You, Change The World, Lightning Rod, Takes Me Nowhere/Trust In You, Out On Patrol spring to mind, although there are many more.

Gustavo
08-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Tehran. Absolutely.

F@ BANKZ
08-17-2008, 08:31 AM
I'm questioning your criteria for "intelligent" as it pertains to the songs and I'm not sure that any of his high points would fit the narrow definition you give. Dexter doesn't have the Tourette's-like urge to throw advanced vocabulary into his lyrics like a certain other songwriter for another band that may or may not share a logo font.

He is very, very annoying. His band would be good but the lyrics are so terribly pretentious that I can't take them seriously.

disclaimer_07
08-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Lightning Rod. There are many more though.

Little_Miss_1565
08-17-2008, 10:06 AM
I guess i should have made up my own mind before making a thread about it. Sorry if i came off as a jerk or something.

Dude, don't worry about it, just throw out some ideas of your own or encourage others to contribute by telling them what you do agree with about what they said. :)

He is very, very annoying. His band would be good but the lyrics are so terribly pretentious that I can't take them seriously.

I still love him, though.

JeromeFleur
08-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Dexter doesn't have the Tourette's-like urge to throw advanced vocabulary into his lyrics like a certain other songwriter for another band that may or may not share a logo font.

Huh... if i may ask you : what band are you talking about ?

The_Noose
08-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Cool to Hate :P

but really..

I like The Noose :P

F@ BANKZ
08-17-2008, 11:04 AM
I still love him, though.

I can only reply with meh. He's a brilliant singer but... Yeeeah

Moose
08-17-2008, 11:04 AM
i think he isn't just speaking about lyrics, but a song as a whole...

...so just don't think of it in terms of lyrics, but also think about the structure and music as well.

...not sure which song(s) i'd go with. I think the original baghdad is an interesting case. CO1 is pretty interesting because of what has happened with 9/11 thereafter, but I dont know if that belongs up there.

not the one is another intersting song, as well as americana.

pay the man is also interesting.

but im not sure...decisions, decisions.

interesting count: 4

p.s. - i agree that kristy comes up short in the delivery that i believe dexter wanted...them adding chimes in the second verse doesn't help either.

lost_nvrfound
08-17-2008, 11:14 AM
i don't know, the thing about Kristy is that its from the point of view of an outsider and how he saw that she really needed help, but he couldn't say anything because he was so young he didn't really think to. And its like an apology for that moment of apathy. It hits home to me because its like, thats how it is in life when something like that happens. There are so many clues yet no one does a thing to help. I wouldn't say I truly love this song because of its honesty, but it really hits home.

I think Starin At The Sun is a really intelligent song.

jacknife737
08-17-2008, 01:27 PM
It depends on your criteria for an “intelligent” song. For example, Pretty Fly’s lyrics are not necessarily Shakespearean, however, given the time period/context in which it was written it is a brilliant satire on American youth-culture in the late 90s.

Dexter doesn’t sound like he uses a thesaurus when writing lyrics (glares at Greg Graffin), nor does he include many literary references (a la the Lawrence Arms, who even include footnotes in their album-booklets). However, there are certain songs in particular that i find showcases that the band is fully capable of drafting an "intelligent" song.

For example, in Dirty Magic I love Dexter’s use of imagery and emotion.

Pull the shades
Razor blades
You're so tragic
I hate you so
but love you more
I'm so elastic
The things you say
Games you play
Dirty magic

I consider I Choose to be the band’s most “intelligent” effort, due to its philosophical connotations

We're all naked when the day is said and done
This is life
What a fucked up thing we do
What a nightmare come true
Or a playground if we choose
And I choose

Pay the Man is another example of brilliant lyrics by the band, that is mixed with some of the most interesting instrumental work the band has ever written.

See the way the wind blows
Lives are intertwined
Watch the way the world goes
The man deals out our plight

Jester in the corner
Laughs without a sound
Jester in the corner
Malady abounds
In our souls

Another really interesting concept from the band was the combination of NEOCON and the Noose. Although there is debate on what the song’s (The Noose) subject matter is about, given the context, it’s clearly political. Subtle, and remarkable.

NEOCON

we are strong
we are right
we won't be pushed aside
we'll go on
we will fight
we will not compromise
we will never lose to you

The Noose

Well our visions of a glory now have spiraled down the drain
The best of our intentions that come crashing down in flames
The depths of our despair we are unable to contain
It's shallow living

jacknife737
08-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Tehran. Absolutely.

The band's best effort of being upfront about writing a political song. Even 20 years on the song's subject matter is still as relevent today as it was then; which is depressing.

The president said let it ride, ride
Islam be damned
Make your last stand
In Tehran

F@ BANKZ
08-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Personally, I much prefer Baghdad to Tehran

Grimesy da Offspringfan
08-17-2008, 03:24 PM
I think Can't Repeat and Stuff Is Messed Up

SK8rocka
08-17-2008, 03:45 PM
I thInk...?..?..?....TEhRAN ALL THE WAYZ XD
Im serous............................

lost_nvrfound
08-17-2008, 03:47 PM
I think Can't Repeat and Stuff Is Messed Up

Cann't repeat is definitely one

KHWHD
08-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Is the original thread starter going to comment soon on which song/s he chooses? Or is this thread just about everyone else's opinion?

Free?
08-17-2008, 06:29 PM
The instant "intelligent Offspring song" is Pay The Man. It just has all the attributes of what should term intelligent have. But Stuff Is Messed Up is intelligent as well, even Why Don't You Get A Job? is. Humor can be intelligent, screaming can be intelligent, explicit lyrics can be intelligent, punk rock can be intelligent, you just have to be able notice and appreciate a different-from-default intelligent stuff.

Static_Martyr
08-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Songs by the Offspring that cross me as intelligent/mature, in descending order:

-Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?
-I'll Be Waiting
-Amazed
-Elders
-Jennifer Lost The War
-Dirty Magic
-The Kids Aren't Alright
-Americana
-Pay The Man

The list goes on....but that's the brunt of it. I never will understand the hate people pile on KAYDO; I've never experienced anything like that, but it's still got an emotion to it that's like no other song I've ever heard. I knew I liked it from the moment I first heard it, listening to it with the lyrics pamphlet in my hand. I don't know why, but there's something about that song that strikes me really deep.

For me, The Offspring's strong point has always been a primitive sort of emotion, a sort of "street empathy," if that makes sense. They're not Bad Religion in the sense of having a vast vocabulary, so they struggle to express themselves in a way that is commonly understandable. As a songwriter myself, that is something I can relate to very much, and I admire the Offspring and their style for being so unique. So again, I'm surprised with the hate people give KAYDO---it's like an exemplifier of that simple, melodic expression for which the Offspring are so commonly known. People bash it in reviews for having a simple chorus, but sometimes simple words can be so powerful. Imagine yourself in the situation where you're speaking to this girl, unsure if she is going to make it through the day; you want to help, but you don't know how. So you say the only thing you can: "Are you doing okay? Can you keep going?" It's that helpless simplicity, that sense of, "What the hell can I do about this?" that makes this song so moving to me.

As for I'll Be Waiting....that song is another favorite. It's about life, to me; about trying to find friends and loves in a world full of poseurs, fake people, and wannabes. It reminds me of that sense I get when I talk to someone and I realize, I understand them. It's disappointing; I understand them because they fit a simple stereotype of how a certain type of person is supposed to be, like "trupunx" folks, or "trendy" kids. I realize that I can gauge things I see in my daily life and say, "s/he would probably say [x] about that." I seek people I don't understand; nothing seems more horrifying to me than spending my entire life with a person about whom I already pretty much know everything. It's like watching the same season of the same TV show over and over again for the rest of your life. Life is supposed to be a journey, not a homework assignment you're trying to hurry up and finish so you can move on to the next one.

[/rant]

Sorry, I got a little carried away there. As you can see, I *really, really* like The Offspring. So much that I insist upon capitalizing the "t" in "the."

Buller
08-18-2008, 12:27 AM
Takes me nowhere

I think the song is extremely well written. Dexter has the gift of stepping outside his own world and discribe the life of someone else. He has done that in several songs but this time its dead on. The song is simply about some abusers, alcohol or whatever.. My dad is a former alcoholic so its easy for me to relate to that song.

I think most of Splinter is very intelligent too.. :cool:

Rutegard
08-18-2008, 07:56 AM
pretty much all of them...

but don't pick it up is sweet...ya know? the ska thing LOL

smash & burn
08-18-2008, 02:14 PM
never gonna find me
black ball
crossroads
a thousand days
forever and a day
kick him when he's down
burn it up
something to belive in
demons & genocie

Jojan
08-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Handgrenades is very sciencey.

dirtymagic291
08-19-2008, 02:29 AM
i'll be waiting for the same reasons as everyone else has already said

get it right mentiones holden caulfield, reference to catcher in the rye (shows that dex is well read)

dirty magic - for whatever reason i can relate

self esteem - ditto

smash - this is definately the "knows what he is talking about" category. the lyrics are just such a good way of saying 'i dont give a shit what anyone else thinks about me'.

gone away - one of their most powerful songs

the entire americana album, taken together is very intelligent with what it is trying to say about american society.

and YGGFK mentiones lord of the flies, which i thought was interesting...

but thats just off the top of my head anyway. to me the offspring are just so good at writing songs that make sense in certain times. for example, there is no song better to listen to while driving than bad habit hahaha

dr.vanessa
08-19-2008, 03:31 AM
lightning rod
nothing from something
race against myself
kick him when he's down
have you ever?
starring at the sun
and sooo many more...

danitanev
08-20-2008, 01:42 AM
All songs are great and meanings in the lyrics are great but I really really really like the meaning of the lyrics in Can't Repeat - the greatest! :)

iPunk247
09-02-2008, 11:29 PM
majority wins! :cool::D:):p me personelly dig 'em all includeing the joke songz.

Budzy
09-03-2008, 01:39 AM

woah.
translation for the ppl wanting to become tradesman.

Rutegard
09-03-2008, 02:43 AM

why just dex?

nightvision
09-03-2008, 07:35 AM
My vote goes to Have You Ever.

Cock Joke
09-03-2008, 03:08 PM
staring at the sun

F@ BANKZ
09-03-2008, 03:12 PM
I've been listening to Take It Like A Man recently and that seems underrate to me in terms of intelligence. Well, maybe it just says something about myself:p

Bipolar Bear
09-03-2008, 04:45 PM
I've been listening to Take It Like A Man recently and that seems underrate to me in terms of intelligence. Well, maybe it just says something about myself:p

I agree about that song being underrated by all the people who don't understand what it means. Powerful lyrics.

Free?
09-04-2008, 03:45 AM
I don't know... To me it seems that there are no underrated offspring songs for an offspring fan. You know every of them, you love any (or almost any) of them.

Rutegard
09-04-2008, 04:23 AM
I don't know... To me it seems that there are no underrated offspring songs for an offspring fan. You know every of them, you love any (or almost any) of them.

quoted for truth :D

Smash_Returns
09-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Why Don't You Get A Job?

It explains pretty much *exactly* how a non-serious relationship ends up. Is quite truthful and insightful.

Daxter Fan
09-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Jennifer lost the war. imo

Virulent
09-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Just signed up to answer this thread :D

No Brakes.

Lay awake
I don't give a shit
If I even ever wake up in the morning
Down below
There's a pile of sin
Always waiting for a
Waiting for a warning

Now tell me you don't wanna get up and scream that out randomly. Street therapy.

My opinion's incredibly bias though; the first time I ever listened to the Offspring was when I bought my Americana cd in 1998, and have listened to it more or less everyday since.

Pay the Man would be damn close (intellectually, I prefer Have You Ever and Staring at the Sun tbh), except I hate the digitally enhanced voice for the first half. SHUT UP YOU TALK TO MUCH :D:D

Peace out.

P.S Ixnay on the Hombre is awesome too ^_^

iPunk247
09-18-2008, 11:46 PM
each song individually is intelligent in its own uniqueness especially the serious songs and as for the silly bloody wicked killer joke songs well theyre awesome too !!!! :D:p:cool::)

angelsfan1
09-19-2008, 12:41 AM
Jennifer lost the war. imo

I agree!!! The lyrics in this song are so deep and intense for a young punk band on their first album. Still holds up and very intelligent song.

dexter12296566
11-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Sorry for the bump, but I had a response. I think Come Out and Play(Keep 'Em Seperated) is the most intelligent, mainly because of the story behind it and how the "Keep 'Em Seperated" hook came to be!:p

Sorry again for the bump! I had an opinion!

randy
11-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Da Hui,and maybe Hand Grenades.

skitogg
11-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Forever And A Day

Berzerker92
11-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Holy old topic..

Something To Believe In
Blackball
Not The One
Tehran
Elders

Strike me as the most thought inspired songs...

You know as annoying as some peoply find it I really like Greg Gaffins lyrics.. Some more then Dexters...

dr.vanessa
11-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Lightning Rod,Amazed,Race Against Myself,Vultures,Half Truism,Kick Him When He's Down ...
i cant choose only one of the above but if i have to this will be Lightning Rod for sure:cool:

RODNEYMULLEN
11-25-2009, 01:19 PM
cool to hate

Jules69
11-25-2009, 02:42 PM
I choose and Can't Repeat!!

[[Meli.x]]
11-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Dirty magic, Vultures, Tehran, Elders, Change the world, Gone away, Nothing from something, Lightening rod, no hero and LAPD are mine probably.. all pretty easy to figure...

JANNY
11-26-2009, 02:02 AM
GOTTA GET AWAY :D:cool::D

but all songs are perfect...

The Search Button
11-26-2009, 04:26 AM

Who told you Biologists have any kind of intellectuality or historical comprehension?

SelfEsteem94
11-27-2009, 03:46 AM
Blackball.