PDA

View Full Version : Video compression

nieh
08-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Does anyone know which video codecs tend to give the best file size to quality ratio? I'm probably going to rip some dvds to the .ogm bucket because you can use vorbis as the audio codec on those, but I'm not sure what to do about the video codec. Wiki says most people use MPEG-4 with it, is that the best bet?

Endymion
08-18-2008, 03:17 PM
you could use theora, the ogg video codec.

Tijs
08-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Good ol' XviD or DIVX often work the best. I haven't tried MP4 yet, myself. You could also try H.264 which is supposed to be really good, but if I use it in anything besides Quicktime format my computer acts weird because of it.

hshduppsnt
08-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Good ol' XviD or DIVX often work the best. I haven't tried MP4 yet, myself. You could also try H.264 which is supposed to be really good, but if I use it in anything besides Quicktime format my computer acts weird because of it.

i would go with xvid or divx myself, i've done a lot of work with h.264 and a lot of people have slight differences in encoding/decoding which just makes it a bigger hassle than it should

i as well know nothing of mp4 but i've heard its supposed to be pretty good too

nieh
08-18-2008, 03:32 PM
you could use theora, the ogg video codec.

I'm only finding older comparisons between that and mpeg-4 and divx when I google them, and wiki said older versions of the codec (which is still in beta?) weren't as good as competing codecs, but doesn't really specify if it got better with the newer versions.

Tijs, I think H.264 is supposed to be used for HD videos which I have no need for since this is all going to be stuff I'm putting on my PMP which doesn't have HD resolution.

Tijs
08-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Actually I think H.264 is mainly aimed at internet streaming, and MP4 mainly for 720p HD.

What are you going to use the DVD's for? What's PMP?

disclaimer_07
08-18-2008, 04:10 PM
It's really hard to say. Just cut out a short part of your video and try encoding it with different codecs and compression rates and you will see the results. I am a bit unsure what you mean by MPEG-4 or MP4 though, the actual MPEG-4 audio/video compression format (*.mp4) or its implementation used in AVI encoding? Anyway, as I say, experiment for a while before you make a choice.

nieh
08-18-2008, 04:11 PM
PMP = portable media player (mp3/video/thingy).

It looks like H.264 is used for both lower-end stuff and HD stuff as it's the format used on HD and Blu-Ray DVDs, but despite having lower-end profiles as well, it's one of the few formats the player doesn't support.

Ryder1234
08-18-2008, 04:17 PM
PSPs use mp4. They don't have very much memory, even with the biggest available memory stick, so mp4 is pretty good. The mp4 used by PSP is a special type of mp4 for the PSP, but it still compresses it the same amount. I can't say anything about quality, because everything on PSP is bad quality.

Tijs
08-18-2008, 04:24 PM
In that case I would recommend MP4 purely because it's the most well spread video codec for portable devices.

nieh
08-18-2008, 04:31 PM
I think I'll probably end up with that too. Even though my player supports the .ogm bucket, it doesn't have support for the theora codec now that I'm actually checking for it. I'm guessing in part because it was still in beta when the player was released.