PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Offspring Song...back in the day?

wheelchairman
08-19-2008, 04:23 PM
The idea for this thread came to me when someone in another thread assumed my name came from an Offspring music video that involved people in wheelchairs . I was trying to think if I had seen that video and could only come up with the All I Want video which has nothing to do with Wheelchairs but does has running (which is the wheelchair's exact opposite.)

Ironically the only time I've ever seen that video was on some weird flash player that came with my copy of Americana 7 years ago, it was grainy as hell and I really couldn't make out shit of what it was.

But it all brought back to me the fact that I honestly thought that All I Want was by far the coolest song ever. I just thought that song was awesome. So 7 years ago, back when I was 14 and a young teenager like some of you new guys that song was just awesome.

Now 7 years later I would probably choose a song from Americana, and I still find myself thinking that Americana is still a fairly new album. (it was the first one I ever heard, I was not trupunx). So it must be strange as hell for you new people to be here posting on a board with a band that has a 20 year history. I thought it was strange back when they only had a 10 year history. (well 13).

Anyways what was your favorite offspring song back in the day? Go back as far or as recently as you like, a year? 6 months? 5 years? 15?

If you're knew fans go ahead and say how you got into the offspring. Here in Europe they're almost never played on the radio, and if they are it's those only late 90's hits that are played. I don't know if it's the same for you.

holland25
08-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Sorry to say it, but this belongs to General Offspring Discussion :D

wheelchairman
08-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Sort of. I'm sure it won't kill General Chat to have one topic that is Offspring Related. But really it's more about the users. At least that was my intent.

And right now it's almost solely about me.

Jebus
08-19-2008, 04:31 PM
The Meaning of Life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxU6jCRi4yc) has wheelchair racing.

TKAA was what originally got me into Offspring and it's still my favorite song up to date. Actually, it's what got me into music in general. Before that I never listed to any music.

wheelchairman
08-19-2008, 04:31 PM
You're right. I wonder why I don't remember that. :/ I had a shitty computer back then.

I still do.

jacknife737
08-19-2008, 04:32 PM
I got into the band with the Americana craze, and after being drawn to the band by tracks like Pretty Fly and Why Don't You Get a Job, I immediately fell in love with Have You Ever and She's Got Issues. Neither of those songs are my favourite today, however when i was this little kid like 9/10n years old, and my previous music experience had been generic pop, there was something very profound about Mr. Holland screaming "the truth about the world is that crime does pay", it ended up being the song that got be into punk rock in general. Americana is still one of my favorite albums.

Today, my favorite song would be Forever and a Day.

holland25
08-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Umm, okay, so I'll answer your question.

1996 - All I Want (the only song I knew by then)
1997-1998 - Come out and Play
1999 - Gotta Get Away
2000-2008 - Crossroads

wheelchairman
08-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Jacknife, Oh yeah definitely. I never would've admitted it back 7 years ago (because if you were honest about your opinions and liked the newer albums better you were a poser...) but Americana is my favorite offspring album by far.

wheelchairman
08-19-2008, 04:38 PM

1997-1998 - Come out and Play
1999 - Gotta Get Away
2000-2008 - Crossroads
Ha wow, I don't think I even heard the Offspring until like 1998 and then I didn't get into them or into music until 2001.

bighead384
08-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Demons was my favorite song. Yep, Demons. Really the only reason I would listen to it today is to figure out "why the hell was this my favorite song"?

lost_nvrfound
08-19-2008, 05:15 PM
I've grown up hearing them on the radio(they hit the NC airwaves sometime in early '95), but I didn't really get into them until the Pretty Fly era. But then my brother started collecting their albums, and at 10, Beheaded was my song of choice. I thought it was sooooo funny then. Then my favorite was The Kids Aren't Alright, then Cool To Hate. Now I don't know what my favorite is. It really just depends on what album I'm listening to at the time (though typically, if I listen to The Offspring, I put my player on random for all of their songs). My favorite album as a whole is Ixnay nowadays, though I'd prolly never say that any song off of that album is my favorite. The "heart in pain, reminiscing of the past" songs tend to top my charts though.

Rag Doll
08-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Per, you're off a year....you joined in 2000. July or August, I believe.

Anyways. I got into them with Pretty Fly....whenever that was on TRL like all the time. I honestly don't know what year that was. The first Offspring cd I got was Americana and my favorite songs were Americana, Have You Ever, and Staring At The Sun. I absolutely hated Feelings and I actually still do. I also found TKAA and Walla Walla fairly boring and still do. Otherwise, it's a pretty solid cd.

Once I finally acquired all the cds (I got them all way before Conspiracy of One came out, and bought all the newer cds as they were released) my favorite was Kick Him When He's Down, followed by Crossroads, Forever and a Day, and Amazed.

I'd say that now....my favorites are probably Jennifer Lost the War, Crossroads, Amazed, Want You Bad, You're Gonna Go Far Kid, Americana, and Stuff is Messed Up.....in no particular order. I don't really have a favorite Offspring song, for whatever reason.

hshduppsnt
08-19-2008, 05:24 PM
I'll be perfectly honest, self esteem was and still is my favorite song.

It was the first song I really got to liking myself (my sister used to play ignition and was excited about smash but...)... (yes shock I wasn't immediately taken by ignition but give me a break i was like 8 or 9 years old at the time)... I remember Self Esteem being #4 on KROQ's 106.7 new years countdown, and it hasn't changed since. (I've told this boring story before of hearing the song, then hearing it sorta fade out as I drove away through the grapevine the next morning... last song I heard leaving vacation on the radio station down there - for whatever reason that is still one of my more vivid young memories)

I do agree with ya though, per, americana still feels like their New album to me hahaha -

Other favorites though - Million Miles Away - Being on the boards around those times definitely hyped up how I felt about that album - still love the song but not the way I did then.

Ryder1234
08-19-2008, 06:43 PM
2000-2003 - Genocide
2003-2005 - Hit That (Mainly for the video)
2005 - 2008 - It varies, but usually it's either KHWHD, Crossroads, Out on Patrol, Have you ever, or What happened to you?.

I wasn't a real fan until 2005 though, when I got GH, and then joined here.

wheelchairman
08-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Sam, oh yeah 2000. Sweet I'm more punx than I thought.

I agree with you on Feelings, that really is an annoying change of pace on an otherwise great album. Walla Walla is nice for it's upbeatness. Sure the lyrics are stupid but then again listening to the Offspring for their lyrics would be odd... :p

Little_Miss_1565
08-19-2008, 07:08 PM

Ixnay came out early 1997 :)

"Gone Away" got me into the band and that was my favorite for awhile, until I got around to getting Smash and then "Smash" was my favorite.

0r4ng3
08-19-2008, 07:12 PM
I've been a fan of them since 2002, because I heard The Kids Aren't Alright. That was my favorite for a while, then about a year or two ago, it became Staring At The Sun, when I realized how superior a song it was. So right now that's tied with You're Gonna Go Far, Kid.

Sunny
08-19-2008, 07:34 PM
"meaning of life" and "gotta get away" were my favorites back in the day, i think. also "amazed" and "all i want".

soo emoooo!

Jules69
08-19-2008, 08:22 PM
The Meaning of Life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxU6jCRi4yc) has wheelchair racing.

TKAA was what originally got me into Offspring and it's still my favorite song up to date. Actually, it's what got me into music in general. Before that I never listed to any music.
Exactly!!! Love that song!!! It was me who thought that was how wheelchair man got his user name here!! That song is one of the GREATEST EVER!!!!! Now, how old is it and what album is it from???:confused:

hshduppsnt
08-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Exactly!!! Love that song!!! It was me who thought that was how wheelchair man got his user name here!! That song is one of the GREATEST EVER!!!!! Now, how old is it and what album is it from???:confused:

http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/albums?releaseName=Ixnay+On+The+Hombre - Ixnay on the Hombre - 1997

Betty
08-19-2008, 11:37 PM
A few definitely stood out. When I got really into them and listened to Ixnay and Americana and Smash all at around the same time, "All I Want" was my first most favourite song. And I guess I'd still consider it my favourite, for nostalgic reasons, but there are obviously a few favourites. I also got pretty hooked on TKAA. The music video came out around the time I was getting really into the band.

When Smash had first come out a few years earlier, I remember humming Self Esteem and Gotta Get Away, but was never obsessively into the band at the time.

Tizzalicious
08-19-2008, 11:51 PM
"meaning of life" and "gotta get away" were my favorites back in the day, i think. also "amazed" and "all i want".

soo emoooo!

These ones for me too. And Dirty Magic. I'm such a girl.

ninthlayer
08-20-2008, 12:05 AM
I liked All I Want a lot back in the day, and it's probably due to this that I dislike the band now. Too many connections with teen angst and whatnot.

I'd probably still listen to Pay the Man every once in a while if I remembered where my copy of Americana is, but I don't.

JohnnyNemesis
08-20-2008, 12:09 AM

February 4, 1997.

I know that one by heart. Don't ask why. I'm just...sad.

And Ignition came out on October 16, 1992.

I'm pathetic.

kill the president
08-20-2008, 12:21 AM
i didn't like offspring when i was younger but now my favourite song by them is kill the president hence my screen name:)

hshduppsnt
08-20-2008, 12:21 AM
February 4, 1997.

I know that one by heart. Don't ask why. I'm just...sad.

And Ignition came out on October 16, 1992.

I'm pathetic.

pathetic?

or awesome.

think about it.

(btw i think the offspring discography lists Feb 7th. - EDIT: i dunno why I feel like an ass for pointing that out - i went to look it up cuz i didn't know... so I'm just re-stating that i'm not trying to be an ass :))

holland25
08-20-2008, 01:57 AM

Yep, 4.2.1997, but All I Want single with a video came out late 1996 ;)

wheelchairman
08-20-2008, 05:53 AM
Yeah but you live in Slovakia, which means you would've have seen that video until '98 and the album wouldn't have come out until '99.

You can't fool us.

dff_punk
08-20-2008, 06:04 AM
When I first got into Offspring(with Americana, of course), my biggest favorite was Staring At The Sun. And TKAA was one of the song I did not care about much back then, and now is my all-time fave.

holland25
08-20-2008, 06:09 AM
Yeah but you live in Slovakia, which means you would've have seen that video until '98 and the album wouldn't have come out until '99.

You can't fool us.

Ha ha ha!

No, seriuosly, we weren't that backward in late 90's. Only in 70's and 80's under communist regime.

wheelchairman
08-20-2008, 06:22 AM
Don't worry, I know. :p

F@ BANKZ
08-20-2008, 06:45 AM
It's probably still The Kids although I don't really listen to it very often anymore, otherwise some are Hammerhead, Stuff is Messed Up, Truism, Million Miles Away and Out On Patrol.

My half-storyism:
One day I wanted to listen to some new music so a took a Rancid CD from my brother, then didn't like it one bit so I asked him for some more Offspring since I'd recently been listening to Never Gonna Find Me and Cool To Hate (just randomly from the albums). He lent me the Americana casette I remember him buying when he was nine and I pathetically adored it. I liked Have You ever and Staring At The Sun a little less but TKAA really blew me away. I should add this was over an old cassette and a laughably bad CD player. I then listened to everything over the website and slowly borrowed/collected/copied the albums.

Old favourites include parctically everything.

ad8
08-20-2008, 07:20 AM
When I really started to love the Offspring's music (2003 or so; in 1999 or so I didn't even like Self Esteem and Come Out And Play although I knew them), I liked Million Miles Away, Pretty Fly and Pay the Man, but these songs just got me into Offspring music. Shortly after that, I remember Leave It Behind being my favourite song for a while. I don't listen to it very often, but when I do, the memories of that time come back and I realise what a great song this is. (actually I feel the same about the whole Ixnay album)

T-6005
08-20-2008, 09:05 AM
I got into them with Americana - I ended up really liking the songs She's Got Issues and especially End of the Line.

I wasn't TOO into them until Conspiracy of One, though, and I still maintain that that was their best album.

medi01
08-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Most CO1 songs ine general. especially one fine day

lost_nvrfound
08-20-2008, 09:10 AM
I got into them with Americana - I ended up really liking the songs She's Got Issues and especially End of the Line.

I wasn't TOO into them until Conspiracy of One, though, and I still maintain that that was their best album.

I've never warmed up to She's Got issues. I can't stand the video for it.

MindlessSelfIndulgent
08-21-2008, 07:21 PM
My first favorite song by them was Why don't you get a job.
I remember me and my cousins heard it again and again at my big sisters confirmation party. I must have been 11. I then stole the CD from her, and bought the others and loved them aaaaall.
I don't really have ooone favorite now. There's alot of great songs.

nieh
08-21-2008, 07:30 PM
My favorite was Smash back in the day, lolz. Now it's probably Pay the Man.

wheelchairman
08-26-2008, 06:31 PM
I would have to say that I've always thought Conspiracy of One was a terrible album. Splinter was a bit of a relief.

I mean it has good songs, but a good album shouldn't have a high number of bad songs.

WebDudette
08-26-2008, 06:48 PM
It seems like a lot of people got into the Offspring because of siblings, I'm cutious if their siblings are as into them as they are or at all.

I believe I first got into The Offspring when I heard Staring at the Sun or The Kids Aren't Alright, maybe All I Want.

I was playing Ocarina of Time for the first time at my cousins house and he had already beat the game so I was just running around the different obstacles in Ganon's castle.

I would say Staring at the Sun was my favorite for a long time. I was really into Have You Ever for a while. Come Out Swinging was one of my favorites, The Kids Aren't Alright too. I have shitty memory and I was too indecisive there is no way I could pick one.

Apathy
08-26-2008, 07:10 PM
I When I was four years old my dad used to play What Happened To You? on his tape player in this old shitty truck he had. And I loved it. They were my favorite band from before I liked music.

I continued to like them until I became all angsty and defiant and shit, at which point I .... listened to them more because they were trupunx. I liked pretty much everything they had.

Then I'd say my tastes finally matured (or at least changed directions?) in 2006ish. I rarely listen to them anymore, but if Come Out and Play is on the radio I'll blast it and sing along. You know how it is.