PDA

View Full Version : Fuzz bass

Little_Miss_1565
08-19-2008, 10:36 PM
What's your favorite way to get good sounding bass distortion? I had been getting mine from an old Boss Distortion guitar pedal, and it sounded like a trash can but that was totally the point and it was totally appropriate for the band I was in at the time. But now, I need something that sounds warmer, something a little more garage-rock appropriate. I'm stumped. Most bass pedals I've tried out sound like shit. Any suggestions?

lost_nvrfound
08-24-2008, 08:48 PM
What's your favorite way to get good sounding bass distortion? I had been getting mine from an old Boss Distortion guitar pedal, and it sounded like a trash can but that was totally the point and it was totally appropriate for the band I was in at the time. But now, I need something that sounds warmer, something a little more garage-rock appropriate. I'm stumped. Most bass pedals I've tried out sound like shit. Any suggestions?

hmm... thats a pickle. The problem with bass rigs is that, unlike guitar amps, they just seem to get clearer the louder you turn them up, usually. Is there a gain control on your rig?

T-6005
08-24-2008, 09:25 PM
It might sound weird, but try just using a guitar fuzz or distortion pedal that doesn't mess up the EQ too badly.

That's what I used to do back when I played bass, and although I never needed it for anything serious it tended to work better than using a bass pedal - there was more choice in what I wanted, too.

EDIT - come to think of it, the only one I really ended up liking that wouldn't drop out every so often was labeled a "Hendrix" setting on a multieffect pedal I used to have. That and a Boss pedal, but I can't remember which. The DS-2, maybe?

I'm probably wrong.

coke_a_holic
08-24-2008, 10:47 PM
I say try the Big Muff Pi out. It's a fuzzbox/distortion pedal generally for guitars, but I think Cliff Burton was known for using it on a few songs. I've used it to fuzz out my bass, but I never had any use for it to do that, so I didn't play with it much.

Little_Miss_1565
08-25-2008, 12:40 AM
hmm... thats a pickle. The problem with bass rigs is that, unlike guitar amps, they just seem to get clearer the louder you turn them up, usually. Is there a gain control on your rig?

Bass rigs don't have gain knobs. Oh well.

It might sound weird, but try just using a guitar fuzz or distortion pedal that doesn't mess up the EQ too badly.

That's what I used to do back when I played bass, and although I never needed it for anything serious it tended to work better than using a bass pedal - there was more choice in what I wanted, too.

EDIT - come to think of it, the only one I really ended up liking that wouldn't drop out every so often was labeled a "Hendrix" setting on a multieffect pedal I used to have. That and a Boss pedal, but I can't remember which. The DS-2, maybe?

T, I've been using guitar effects for my distortion but I lose a lot of the low end that way and I'd like to keep it. The Boss pedal I'd been using was a DS-2 guitar pedal. The orange one, right?

I say try the Big Muff Pi out. It's a fuzzbox/distortion pedal generally for guitars, but I think Cliff Burton was known for using it on a few songs. I've used it to fuzz out my bass, but I never had any use for it to do that, so I didn't play with it much.

I'll see about getting my hands on one to try it out. They're still made, right? I ask because when I wanted a bass synth pedal the Akai Deep Impact was highly recommended to me and then I got the want for it really bad, only to find out they're discontinued and super expensive now.

coke_a_holic
08-25-2008, 12:56 AM
Yeah, they're still made and fairly cheap and awesome:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-USA-Big-Muff-Pi-DistortionSustainer-Pedal?sku=153314

T-6005
08-25-2008, 09:21 AM
T, I've been using guitar effects for my distortion but I lose a lot of the low end that way and I'd like to keep it. The Boss pedal I'd been using was a DS-2 guitar pedal. The orange one, right?
Yeah, unfortunately that was the one. There goes my suggestion.

The only other time I've gotten an acceptable bass fuzz/overdrive tone has been from a multieffect pedal setting called "HNDRX" (Pretty mysterious, I know) that I generally used for guitar and then twiddled the EQ for when I plugged the bass in. I never got the chance to test it out with the volume way high, though, and doubt it would hold up well.

mrconeman
08-25-2008, 09:56 AM
I'll be of no use here, I know nothing of bass equipment, I'd just like to say that the bassist from Muse gets awesome distorted tone.

Little_Miss_1565
08-28-2008, 11:37 PM
I'll be of no use here, I know nothing of bass equipment, I'd just like to say that the bassist from Muse gets awesome distorted tone.

Very yes. And to the best I can find on the interwebs, he uses a Big Muff Pi pedal but also a whole shitton of rackmount effects that there's no effing way I can collect let alone tour right now.

Szandi
08-30-2008, 03:23 PM

Hey. I played in a HC metal band. And guitarist's guitar was on bass effect. So my bass was too soft. so I used my bass with ZOOM guitar effect and that was cool.

Szandi
08-30-2008, 03:29 PM
I have it. just this guitar effect, not bass effect, I didn't want to buy another effect. but bass effects are in guitar shops. but the bass with guitar effect is working too. and that was really good.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rLJmvljEL._SL500_AA280_.jpg