PDA

View Full Version : Bestbuy refund

HornyPope
08-20-2008, 12:38 PM
I want to return/replace a pieceofshit gateway laptop I bought in Bestbuy last year because of a faulty fan (computer overheats and promptly crushes after 30 minutes), but I don't have that extended warranty. Any tips how to make this a smoother process for both me and the customer service and avoid most uncessary, yet likely, confrontations?

nieh
08-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Best Buy makes next to no profit on laptops unless you buy the extended warranties that they offer, so I doubt they'll cave and let you return it without it still being covered even if you make a scene. I'd recommend going through Gateway instead since they at least deserve it. And maybe if they're not willing to replace the whole thing maybe they'd be willing to fix/replace the fan.

HornyPope
08-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Nah, I have no intentions to make a scene but I want to make sure I exhaust all the possibilities (whichever they are) to replace that stupid laptop. Obviously I'll turn to gateway directly as my last resort but I'd rather bestbuy does it all instead.

Endymion
08-20-2008, 01:58 PM
there's no way you'll be able to return a laptop you've had for that long. your best option is to just find someone who will put in a new fan.

HornyPope
08-20-2008, 02:49 PM
The manufacturer's warranty is good for one year and I've had it for a little under that so...

come out swinging
08-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Do as Endymion said. On anything you buy from best buy, buy the warranty. I got Toshiba Satellite laptop from best buy, i already had to get the fan replaced. Good thing i got the warranty.

Fans are not that expensive and easy to install. If their is a computer store that sells used parts, get it from them and look online how to install it.

Jebus
08-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Try calling the manufacturer anyways. Sometimes they're a bit lax about the warranty time and help anyways to build up a good customer support rep.

HornyPope
08-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Fans are not that expensive and easy to install. If their is a computer store that sells used parts, get it from them and look online how to install it.

Are you sure about that? I haven't opened the laptop so I can't tell. If it's easy, I can try.

Try calling the manufacturer anyways. Sometimes they're a bit lax about the warranty time and help anyways to build up a good customer support rep.

You'd think the store would have the same concepts about customer loyalty.

Little_Miss_1565
08-21-2008, 01:06 AM
You'd think the store would have the same concepts about customer loyalty.

Best Buy is a chain that is so much bigger and more powerful than the computer companies themselves. They don't care about the customer because they don't have to. Sucks.

come out swinging
08-21-2008, 04:22 PM
you don't need to buy a gateway fan. average price range from 30-50 bucks. Generic fans work as well as name brands.