PDA

View Full Version : Vera's Melancholy Thought of the Day

Vera
08-21-2008, 03:54 AM
Or "I never thought I'd be emo about Amy Winehouse".

Before you click away from this, hear me out. So I've been watching these various British panel shows because they're full of awesome, funny British people (like Bill Bailey and Phil Jupitus - the latter is the best fat person ever, full stop) and awesome British humor. One of the shows I got into recently is Nevermind the Buzzcocks, a music quiz show hosted by a meanfunny person named Simon Amstell, who's been a music journalist for quite a while.

The thing about NMBC is that they have some funny people, some random actors/comedians and some musicians. Sometimes the musicians are from cool indie/underground type acts. Sometimes they're awful poppy trash artists or Z-list celeb rockstars you know we won't remember in 3 years' time. And the deal is to mercilessly mock them. (The best episodes have somebody totally wannabe like Donny Tourette or a former boyband member trying to have a solo career or something.)

I happened to catch on youtube a collection of clips from when Amy Winehouse appeared on the show (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihFzr8QPfOg) and of course, she was being a crazy strung out person who wanted to drink throughout the show and all that. The presenter, Simon Amstell, mocks her in various hilarious ways, especially her drug addiction(s!) but Amy also says something like, "we used to be so close" and he basically answers, "yeah before you became a crazy druggie".

Then I watched another episode, later on, with Amy's producer Mark Ronson as a guest. Simon wouldn't stop making jokes about how he turns women (as he supposedly did with Amy) into drug addicts. It was funny but it also got me thinking, as there was a bitter undertone to Simon making those jokes. I mean, if it's true that Simon and Amy used to be friends, but somewhere along the way drifted apart because she started spending more time snorting coke and beating her husband, it's just really .. kind of very sad.

I mean, it's been said that Amy's had eating disorders and drug-related problems all her life, but it's also true that sometimes certain people just begin to associate with "the wrong crowd" and let the company of such people influence them so much that the old crowd of friends just shake their heads and go, "what the hell happened to you". Nobody makes another person a druggie, as the choice to take drugs is your own, but still, these sort of things can happen.

In my head I began picturing this other Amy, the pre-drugs Amy, who maybe had some genuine talent in music, and who had friends who didn't do drugs but partied within sane limits. Maybe it's totally untrue, maybe she was more or less fucked up from the get go, but still, it makes me think of all the people we know and care for, who go astray in life for whatever reason. And the feeling of helplessness that it gives you, not knowing whether you can save them, not sure if its your job to, uncertain whether anybody can.

I have no idea why I posted this.

Sunny
08-21-2008, 06:35 AM
this picture always creeps me out:

http://inplacenews.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/amy-winehouse-fat-thin.jpg

i mean, i'm not huge on her music, but that's irrelevant. the whole thing is quite depressing. she obviously has talent and a pretty impressive voice... but holy trainwreck. =/ very sad.

Andy
08-22-2008, 03:36 PM
My first point is illustrated nicely by Sunny's picture: Amy Winehouse used to be actually very quite really hot.

My second point is: Never Mind The Buzzcocks is indeed hilarious, as is Simon Amstell. As host of NMBC, his main role is to make scathing comments about famous people. I don't think they used to be actual friends, her saying that was merely drunken babbling.

Amstell's comments to Mark Ronson mere made in jest as well, otherwise it is highly doubtful that he would have agreed to a) let those comments be shown on air and b) appear on the show at all. It is commonly known* here that Amy Winehouse's drug problems started when she started to be involved with that Blake fella.

There was a program about her on TV the other month, telling her life so far. Grew up on a dodgy estate, dysfunctional family, craving for attention etc.. Basically, an absolute textbook recipe for the kind of behaviour she's been displaying since she became super-famous.

I am very tired, so don't know what I'm getting at, or if that even makes any sense, but there you go. I might finish my point off when I wake up and realise what it was.

*Allegedly (for all you legal fans)

Sunny
08-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Amstell's comments to Mark Ronson mere made in jest as well, o
There was a program about her on TV the other month, telling her life so far. Grew up on a dodgy estate, dysfunctional family, craving for attention etc.. Basically, an absolute textbook recipe for the kind of behaviour she's been displaying since she became super-famous.

i thought she grew up in a nice Jewish family. am i completely bonkers? =/

Andy
08-22-2008, 04:17 PM
NOTE: I may have just made 80% of that up. Lately, the rumour-mill in the papers has got so bad I'm losing track of what's real and not.

F@ BANKZ
08-22-2008, 04:53 PM
The world is so cold, now that you've Gone Emo.

Your "wrong crowd" post makes me think of a friend of mine. Without going into too much detail (although reading back I patently have), he had been my best friend since we were around eight or nine years old. He was a magnanimous, sweet, fun and quite innocent child; we saw each other practically every week during our friendship.

When high school was impending I decided I wanted to go to the school in the area that wasn't the "feeder school’s” destination that my friend was going to. When it began we made new acquaintances as we had to, but we stayed very much the best of friends. This was the way it stayed throughout high school. I met his mid-high school friends on a couple of occasions; they seemed to be nice people, but awfully united and precarious emotionally, though it could be that thought the same of my mine, or worse.

So one fifth of the way into our GCSE year (around seven or eight months ago, I think) our schools were allowed to walk out of school during the lunch hour (WOW!). Once the novelty of this had worn off after a week or so, my friend contacted me to say would I like to meet up with his friends outside the Church, and I assented. The next day I went down from school with a friend and he was with a group of boys, fairly unfamiliar, but I walked over to say hello. When he saw me my seven-year friend that I had seen the preceding week hung his head and ignored me, not introducing me to his friends, not saying hello and doing his utmost to avoid acknowledgement of my presence, humiliating me in front of his friends and mine. I have honestly never been hurt so deeply. The odd thing is he hadn’t even moved up a social ladder, he evidently just chose to ignore me as I wasn’t in that group. I also noticed he was with an odious ex-friend of mine from primary school, who was really as close to Satan incarnate as a “human” can get.

The same week I saw the subject at a tennis lesson, he tried to tell a companion of ours about the incident with a comical air, but I would only ignore him and offer some laconic comments if he tried to acknowledge me then, it my natural response. I avoided him and didn't say anything but "hi" until about a week ago, when I realised as we are scheduled to go to the same Sixth-Form it would be too dangerous a grudge to try to uphold perpetually. Now I try to be civil to him.

I got my GCSE results yesterday and inadvertently ended up engaged in a comparison with him and was amazed to see I had higher results. He was one of the absolute most intelligent and assiduous children of my age that I knew and, although he hadn't performed terribly, I couldn't help but feel saddened, if slightly smug; his whole society of friends had had a culture of being completely indolent when it came to revision, and when I see his abundance of internet personalities they read painfully & uncharacteristically "Fuck, fight, smoke, don't give a shit, life fucking rules when you’re wastin i’". A part of me regrets holding a grudge against him for so long, I wonder if I was the only person stopping him from becoming socially reliant on his school friends. He is a smart, good-looking young man now, but his attitude upsets me a lot.

So yes, although I can hardly bring myself to care about Amy Winehouse, I can certainly relate to the story. A point is though, that most people have had opportunities to become associated with uncertain sorts of groups, and there are ways of not doing it in the first place once you know people. Once somebody is in the cycle, however, I really don’t know how easy it is for people to break out again.

So, sorry that I have “gone emo/thatpunkkidyoulove” all of a sudden.
*Insert fitting Offspring lyrics here*

wheelchairman
08-26-2008, 06:28 PM
I think this is simply what happens when people who aren't responsible suddenly find themselves wealthy and not having actually worked very hard for that money. Oh I know, I sound like a conservative douchebag. But what do you expect when you give white trash a whole lot of money? They just suddenly become rich white trash. e.g. Britney Spears.

I think it's great that Amy's mom wants her in jail because you can't force someone into rehab effectively. What do you do with an unruly child? Beats me. Maybe jail will save her life. Wouldn't that be strange.

Vera
08-27-2008, 02:04 AM
Amstell's comments to Mark Ronson mere made in jest as well, otherwise it is highly doubtful that he would have agreed to a) let those comments be shown on air and b) appear on the show at all. It is commonly known* here that Amy Winehouse's drug problems started when she started to be involved with that Blake fella.
I don't know - it seems like some of the guests have no idea wtf they're getting into and it's their management who signs them up (like these Z-list "popstars" who're just looking to promote their latest whatever). They show up and sign a deal, and I don't think it's up to them what gets aired and what doesn't.

By the way, Andy, is it true that Simon isn't doing NMTBC anymore? My friend said he quit but Wikipedia said there'll be a new series.

Sunny - She's British-Jewish, yes. So is Simon Amstell, by the way. Not that that means they really were friends but still.

BANKZ - Touching story, sorry to hear you grew so wide apart from your former BFF.

"and I assented" - glad to hear you got nice GCSE scores but plz never start speaking English like Maria.

Per - Yeah, wealth & fame could've played a big part, I was probably way too presumptious about the whole wrong crowd thing...