PDA

View Full Version : New Metallica Song

Little_Miss_1565
08-21-2008, 12:21 PM
It's super low-fi and compressed, but still.

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=601119

What do you guys think of it?

Keyser
08-21-2008, 12:23 PM
First 4 minutes are quite ok. After it its less. But it's a big step forwards comparing to st angry and the new song 1 and 2.

nieh
08-21-2008, 12:35 PM
First 4 minutes are quite ok. After it its less. But it's a big step forwards comparing to st angry and the new song 1 and 2.

This made me lol for some reason.

dff_punk
08-21-2008, 01:02 PM
I like it. Seems like a potentional fan favorite. And that solo thingy is great :)

m.offspring.r
08-21-2008, 01:16 PM
a little bit slow, but great :D

Free?
08-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Love the beginning, the rest is pretty good too :). I could feel some influences of Muse (I'm sure that intro reminded of Half-Truism to most of you), I love the vocal lines in slow part. The chorus reminded me of Loverman, then song's progress went in kinda weird direction of Muse-like riffs and solo's, St.Angerish fast drilling with A Wilhelm Scream short solo's and ended up like One. What a hybrid!
I don't care about what haters say, I'm gonna dig the new album, this song is a promising beginning.

Rooster
08-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Better than stuff on St. Anger without a doubt. I like the song, can't wait for the album...

nieh
08-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Just listened to it now. It's inoffensive which means it's a million times better than the stuff I heard from St. Anger, but there's no real intensity and I already forgot how pretty much the whole thing goes since it doesn't really have any stand-out riffs or melodies or anything like that.
Granted, I've never heard more than a handful of Metallica songs in my life so maybe it'll sound better to a fan.

Little_Miss_1565
08-21-2008, 10:12 PM
(I'm sure that intro reminded of Half-Truism to most of you)

Haha, "Half Truism" = very yes.

Better than stuff on St. Anger without a doubt. I like the song, can't wait for the album...

Thank christ that horrid 'ping' they called a snare from St. Anger is nowhere to be found.

Granted, I've never heard more than a handful of Metallica songs in my life so maybe it'll sound better to a fan.

I'm a huge fan and I was into the song, but it was kind of forgettable, I agree. Maybe it'll be different when it's not this shitty quality, but epic is generally epic no matter what. "Half Truism" struck me as really good when I watched the YouTube clips when they trotted it out on tour the first time, but it was face-meltingly epic on the record. So who knows.

bighead384
08-21-2008, 11:22 PM
The song is pretty good, but new Metallica doesn't excite me even though they have some unforgettable albums. I just don't see them as a band that can reinvent themselves successfully for some reason. I heard some of St. Anger, and I remember I was really pretty into for a while. But then I just kind of stopped listening to it and really had no desire to hear it again. It's just not as memorable as the shit they used to put out.

Jesus
08-22-2008, 03:20 AM
Sounds like a pretty generic Metallica song, kinda weird to put that out as a first studio song (it's not the first single right?). But I guess they want to play it safe because your average Metallica fan makes your punknews poster seem open-minded. Doesn't really make me excited. Comes across as a song the offspring would release if they would give into the "zomg plz make smash ignition sounding album partz 2". Basically I get the same feeling as I get from a new bad religion song.

Ow yeah the drums seem kinda out of place for the first 3 mins, but then they blend in better. And I'm probably one of the few people who didn't really mind the oil barrel sound of the drums on st angry (sic). They just seemed out of place a bunch of times.

randman21
08-22-2008, 04:07 AM
In the risk of sounding like a total n00b...are all their songs this good? I never realized until now, but I've never given Metallica the slightest listen...

Keyser
08-22-2008, 04:42 AM
In the risk of sounding like a total n00b...are all their songs this good? I never realized until now, but I've never given Metallica the slightest listen...

All of their previous albums (exept kill em all and st. angry) are equal or better then this song. Kill em all is allright too, but more ''metal'' then ''melodic''. St angry, well, I'm not gonna waste any words on this ''CD''.

Come out and smash'em up!
08-22-2008, 05:54 AM
All songs in their first five albums are good, half of the load album is good, 1/3 of the reload album is good, same with st.anger. So i think you should investigate metallicas music, if you like good music and metal, especially old metallica is great.

Sinister
08-22-2008, 07:21 AM
I'll give that a listen later cause I forgot my headphones. And I'll take the opportunity to say that I'm fucking STOKED about Unforgiven III.

jacknife737
08-22-2008, 10:48 AM
I really like it, although i think that "Cyanide" is better. I'm starting to get pretty excited for their album, before i was still sort of ambivalent. So it looks as if Metallica will remain the only metal band that I can stand.

SaiKYoU
08-22-2008, 11:17 AM
from the song it seems Hammet is back... lets see if teh rest are back with him too...

Smash_Returns
08-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Eh... Metallica still hasn't gotten it back yet. It's better than "st angry" but, meh, the new album probably wont be worth it. 1 or 2 good songs and a bunch of filler.

My Metal Ratings:
1. Iron Maiden (All Albums. Iron Maiden are the gods of Metal)
2. Metallica (Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, ...And Justice For All)
3. Megadeth (Rust In Peace)
4. Black Sabbath (Ozzy and Dio Years, The singles, only full Sabbath Album I'd Buy is Paranoid)
5. Metallica (Self-Titled, Kill 'em All)
6. Random Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax Singles
7. New Metallica (Load and beyond)

jacknife737
08-24-2008, 10:14 PM
I love it. It's really got a Load/Reload vibe about it, in a good way.

I think I'm probably in the minority about those albums, but I enjoy that Metallica era more than their "heavy" days

No i'm with you. I enjoy the band's 90s work more then their 1980s stuff.

Free?
08-26-2008, 02:51 AM
No i'm with you. I enjoy the band's 90s work more then their 1980s stuff.

I can't say that I like 90's tallica more than 80's one. I like them both equally maybe because I'm not a metalhead and being purely metal or an experimental album isn't something I care about in the first place.

Fix
08-26-2008, 04:55 AM

u must start now!! u dont know what u missed:eek:

Fix
08-26-2008, 04:58 AM
All of their previous albums (exept kill em all and st. angry) are equal or better then this song. Kill em all is allright too, but more ''metal'' then ''melodic''. St angry, well, I'm not gonna waste any words on this ''CD''.

wtf are u talking about!! kill em all is the best album!! "melodic" ? metallica ? :confused: this song is good but not like songs from first 5 albums!

dff_punk
08-26-2008, 05:07 AM
Kill Em All is not that good of an album, but it contains one of my most favorite songs, Motorbreath. I love that one soo much, my friends even joked that i love it because it sounds like The Offspring a bit:p

one hundred punks
08-26-2008, 06:17 AM
Even though it is the cool thing to bash St Anger, it is really not that bad of an album.Yes the drum style is a little different but Lars was never John Bonham anyway or even Tommy Lee for that matter.St.Anger has some pretty good songs.I guess I am just a Metallica fan who loves everything from Kill Em All to Load/Reload.Metallica have always evolved. It would be silly in 2008 for them to record another Kill Em All type album.If you want Kill/Ride/Justice, listen to those albums or see them live as they still play a large back portion of their catalog.

Bring on DEATH MAGNETIC!!!!!!

Fix
08-26-2008, 08:08 AM
Kill Em All is not that good of an album, but it contains one of my most favorite songs, Motorbreath. I love that one soo much, my friends even joked that i love it because it sounds like The Offspring a bit:p

kill em all is best album !! my favorite is motorbreath to but it doesn't sound like offsrpring .. are u crazy ? ? ? :D

dff_punk
08-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Well, according to the melody, the riffs(excluding that solo), the drumming, that song does sound pretty Offspring-y to me. Just my opinion.

T-6005
08-26-2008, 10:46 AM
That song was pretty terrible. I was so bored I couldn't even finish it.

jacknife737
08-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Even though it is the cool thing to bash St Anger, it is really not that bad of an album.

Although i don't really consider it to be the band's best work, i don't hate it either. The Unnamed Feeling has become my favorite Metallica song.

Free?
08-27-2008, 06:46 AM
Another new song http://metallica.com/index.asp?item=601136

Keyser
08-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Even though it is the cool thing to bash St Anger
I dont want to be cool tough. I just find st angry a horrible album.

Fix
08-27-2008, 08:55 AM
THIS IS METALLICA !!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao2hO...eature=related (4:00-5:00)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxLa0...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNWFK...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UCu4...eature=related

FUCK YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StayInTheHouseCarl
08-27-2008, 10:48 AM
i actually found the new song quite boring and forgettable.

love is a four letter word, huh?

but i do see the merit in a new metallica album, though im probably gonna pass on it. it does mean they are going to tour, which is the thing im excited about.

Smash_Returns
08-27-2008, 02:00 PM
I found St. Anger to be quiet, empty, and quite forgettable.

I found Load/ReLoad to be slightly worse then St Anger. Although all 3 have about, 1 or 2 good songs.

Personally, my favorite song by Metallica is "Fade To Black" from Ride The Lightning.

zsk
08-30-2008, 06:28 AM
is the day that never comes in full quality?

dff_punk
09-02-2008, 06:31 AM
There is an official video premiere for The Day That Never Comes on their myspace. Unfortunately, I get an error message so I cannot play the video. All others on myspace work for me. Why is that?

Superdope
09-02-2008, 07:00 AM
The video is absolutely fantastic. I am a fan of Vinterbergs previous work, and this one's definitely on par with his better movies.

You can see it here (http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=601171)

Any of you guys familiar with some of his other works?

Autonomist
09-02-2008, 07:27 AM
If James Hetfield continues to look like that I'll continue to be unable to take him seriously. And I barely even took him seriously to begin with!

Little_Miss_1565
09-02-2008, 09:06 AM
James is def taking goatee tips from Anthrax.

Forza
09-02-2008, 10:13 AM
The video is absolutely fantastic. I am a fan of Vinterbergs previous work, and this one's definitely on par with his better movies.

Not familiar with his other works, but this video is really impressive. Great job.

jacknife737
09-02-2008, 01:52 PM
The video was alright, above average, but didn't blow me away. I still like the song though.

metalmania
09-02-2008, 02:37 PM
yeah Metalllica was a perfect trash metal band until load album.their kill em all,ride the lightning,master,justice and black albums were so cool but load and re-load albums were really so bad...(except 2-3 songs) .but now metallica 'd return to told days with st.anger and death magnetic albums.guitars and drums re cool! i guess they played in this album like justice and master albums so hell yeahhhhh!new song(my apocalypse) is good.it seems damage inc. song.new album will be in your world on 12 september !MetallicA kickssssss

holland25
09-03-2008, 01:05 AM
So umm, I'm finally listening to Death Magnetic, and I can tell that it's METAL, not HARD ROCK as Load or Re-Load. I love the album though the songs are approximately 7 minutes long each (with a few exceptions).

holland25
09-03-2008, 01:07 AM
Oh, and if anyone is interested, here's the torrent http://www.mininova.org/tor/1764233

Free?
09-03-2008, 01:52 AM
Oh, and if anyone is interested, here's the torrent http://www.mininova.org/tor/1764233

Hey, thanks :)! Mr Ulrich would appreciate your move as well! :p

EDIT: Just watched the new video, it was pretty good! The part with civilians was thrilling, but the ending was more simple than I've expected, like 80's 90's classic ending. That's cool!

Rooster
09-03-2008, 04:46 AM
Metallica is back! Me likez what me heard very much :D

metalmania
09-03-2008, 02:00 PM
yeah they're back.they re still playin' like crazy boys :D

Rooster
09-03-2008, 04:02 PM

The video is great...

...However one part made me laugh my ass off. The family's broken car is zastava yugo (first appears at 5:33), and you don't see it very often in american music videos :D. If you don't know that legendary ride, shame on you... You can buy one for 200 € or even less...:D