PDA

View Full Version : Joe Biden is Obama's Running Mate

jacknife737
08-22-2008, 11:26 PM
NY Times is reporting that Obama is going to select Joe Biden http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/us/politics/24biden.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin, thoughts?

To be honest, i'm a little surprised. I had thought that Wesley Clark due to his war record/Clinton connection, or even Tim Kaine due to being a favourite son of Virginia. He does seem to run his mouth a bit, remember when he called Obama “clean and articulate”, ect, but he’s got a solid record, and experience. Biden will also help Obama out winning over older white voters. I personally would have loved to see Jim Webb get selected, but oh well. An interesting choice to say the least.

Also, thoughts on Mcain's choice? I really hope he selects Mike Huckabee, so that it will seal the election for Obama. Romney's name gets thrown around, but i thought there was some animosity between the two

Rag Doll
08-23-2008, 12:30 AM
I feel a bit bad. Obama had this whole big fuss about announcing it via text message and whatever....and the news media toooootally burst his bubble on that.

Anyways. Biden is a good balance for Obama (experienced, older, foreign policy, etc). However, I would have preferred Kaine or Bayh or Clinton. I worry that Biden's past remarks about Obama not being ready will come back to bite them in the ass (same thing would have happened with Clinton). Oh well. We'll see what happens.

I have no idea about McCain's pick. Romney does get thrown around a lot....so does Pawlenty and Jindal(sp?).

hshduppsnt
08-23-2008, 02:37 AM
^ you make a good point about who's a good fit but I think Obama is really worried about his lack of experience in international affairs and truth is of those candidates, Biden has the strongest resume in that respect. I was sure was a lock for Secretary of State but apparently he did himself a little better.

I think Clinton would have been the smartest choice for him but unfortunately there is just too much between the two of them.

Biden I think will be a solid respected running-mate with a lot of experience which is exactly what he needs. (not to say the others don't have that but I really think the international relations aspect of it probably tipped the scales in Biden's favor)

Sunny
08-23-2008, 07:13 AM
i think Biden is a decent choice; everything else aside, it adds the "old white guy" factor to Obama's ticket - and let's be honest, many Americans loooove old white dudes.

i thought he might pick Clinton or Sebelius, but a black guy/woman ticket might just be too much for this country to handle, sad as it is.

Biden is respectable and experienced, and pretty outspoken about his Christian faith (shouldn't matter, but will help alleviate the bullshit about Obama being a Muslim... again, sad as it is).

HeadAroundU
08-23-2008, 09:24 AM
It looks like a very good tactical move. I thought it would be Hillary. I liked Biden in the discussions on CNN...

XYlophonetreeZ
08-23-2008, 03:14 PM
I've been a Biden fan for quite some time, so I'm inclined to be ecstatic. However, there are a few worries. Foremost, Biden is 65 years old. He's unlikely to run for president at the end of 8 years, whereas had Obama chosen Bayh or someone like that then the Dems would have had a likely nominee in 2016. Also, at his age, Biden may be doing more good as the Foreign Relations Committee Chair than he could as VP.

That being said, I think he's the perfect balance for Obama. Kaine wasn't well-known enough and 49 states would have responded to that choice apathetically. Clinton would have helped him win the election I think, but I couldn't really see them working together very well for the next 8 years. This will be a formidable ticket, especially because I think Biden will do a better job of shooting down McCain's endless war-hero rhetoric than anyone else.

Little_Miss_1565
08-23-2008, 03:23 PM
I got the text last night whilst trying to break into my own apartment (long story), and I felt kind of angry and disappointed. I had kind of gotten my hopes up about Bayh (Indiana represent). But now that the sense of the morning has washed over me, I think Biden is ultimately a good choice. I think it's a classy move to pick someone as a running mate that has been critical of him. They're a complete package. I hope Bayh finds a place in his cabinet (touch wood he wins!!).

jacknife737
08-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Even though i should be more concerned with the potential, upcoming Canadian Election (Harper vs Dion, winner take all this November), the more i read about Biden, the more I like him.

Apparently he is one of the least wealthy men in the Senate (he has a mortgage and commutes to DC via train), I know this shouldn't really matter, but it's going to make the GOP claim of "elitist" hard to stick. As well, it seems as if Biden maintains 100 percent ratings from Planned Parenthood, the League of Conservation Voters, Citizens for Tax Justice, the Children's Defense Fund and the NAACP; and 93 percent from the AFL-CIO.

Llamas
08-24-2008, 03:18 PM
I think Biden was an excellent choice, and it really shoots Obama's chances higher.

McCain's best option would be Pawlenty, and I'm hoping he will not pick him. I think Huckabee or Romney would be terrible choices, and I really hope he'll pick one of them... however, in the event that he won, it'd be awful to have one of those guys, and in that case I'd much rather see Pawlenty. Pawlenty is well liked in Minnesota, though, even by many Democrats. And if Pawlenty was the running mate, I think it'd sway MANY democratic votes, and all the fence sitters, in Minnesota to vote McCain, which is always a very blue state in elections.

Little_Miss_1565
08-25-2008, 12:42 AM
Well, Obama's won.

Don't jinx it!

CNN is running a story in their political ticker about how they found out who the VP pick was and beat Obama to the announcement via text. Does that seem kind of douchey to anyone else?

Mota Boy
08-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Anyways. Biden is a good balance for Obama (experienced, older, foreign policy, etc). However, I would have preferred Kaine or Bayh or Clinton.

Clinton would have been horrible. Clinton's just... not that great a leader, and I get the feeling she's not that great a partner either. I mean, looking back on the history of how she ran her campaign into the ground and her history in the White House the first time around, I'm glad it wasn't her. I'm glad it wasn't Kaine either - had it been too blatant a grab for a state, I would have been a bit turned off, and I don't know how much Kaine brought to the table aside from Virginia. Bayh... nobody working on the campaign likes Bayh. I don't know exactly why, but I know some people who have been putting over a year into this that would've been totally deflated over Bayh.

Personally, I was hoping for Richardson, but I think having an insider on the line, particularly one with mucho foreign policy experience, does balance the ticket and would make the administration better in its first few months/years.

Richardson for Secretary of State, yo. Clinton can get a position on the Court.

Mota Boy
08-25-2008, 11:12 PM
As for McCain, the smart money's on Romney, but there's a midnight black horse in the form of Kay Hutchinson.

jacknife737
08-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Although I think he’d be one of the better choices, I’d assume that the Mcain camp would be scared off since Evangelicals tend to think that Romney is some sort of Mormon anti-Christ, plus he wouldn’t really help much in Massachusetts.

HeadAroundU
08-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Hmmm, I watched some debate on TV and they've said that he approved of bombardment of Serbia. :(

Oromis
08-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Also, thoughts on Mcain's choice? I really hope he selects Mike Huckabee, so that it will seal the election for Obama. Romney's name gets thrown around, but i thought there was some animosity between the two

Hah if he picks huckabee he'l be screwed. I also thought Mcain and Romney didnt like each other? hmm

Mota Boy
08-26-2008, 05:31 PM
There wasn't nearly as much rancor between them as there was between Reagan and Bush in '80. Romney doesn't do anything in Massachusetts, but he does have a lot of pull in Michigan, where his father was very popular as governor, also he brings in a business sense. He also had a lot of donors, and though McCain will be taking federal funds, there's no limit on the amount of money the RNC can raise. Still, most of the chatter is pro-Romney.

Jebus
08-26-2008, 11:50 PM
Obama/Biden,
Osama Bin Laden

Obama's luck with names is terrible.

Llamas
08-27-2008, 02:12 PM
I can see the next McCain ad now...

barack HUSSEIN OSAMA/joe BIN LADEN!!!!

Vera
08-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Joe "Bi"-Den.

Homosexualist conspiracy zomg!!!!11

That_Guy91
08-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Personally, I was hoping for Richardson

Richardson for Secretary of State, yo.

Second. Although, the more I hear about Biden, the more I like him, so I can live with it.

sKratch
08-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Biden is a major proponent of drug control, which is pretty whack in my book.

Sunny
08-28-2008, 05:38 PM
from what i know, Obama's views on the issue are pretty progressive. so.. who knows =/

Little_Miss_1565
08-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Heard McCain totally pussed out on running his pro-choice campaign. O-ba-ma.

hshduppsnt
08-28-2008, 11:24 PM

yeah this is what I hear, and rumors are he dropped some V-P candidates specifically because they were pro-choice and the reps weren't happy about it...

bunch of idiots...

then again... just... don't get me started on republicans... just No...

arak0r
08-29-2008, 03:53 AM
http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=183509&title=barack-obama-he-completes-us

im votin for him, ive been supportin him forever. and this is fucking hilarious

Sunny
08-29-2008, 06:17 AM

not a surprise... i don't think *any* pro choice rhetoric would go over well with his supporters.
also, any pro choice talk would ruin the great opportunity to paint Obama as a babykilling Muslim communist who doesn't "share our values".

christ i fucking hate republicans like the goddamn plague. there. i said it. this shit makes my blood boil.

Llamas
08-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Thing is, I'm fairly pro-life (though I don't really fall on either side...), and I think McCain is a retard for this. At least with Obama, we know he's gonna be pro choice. With McCain, you can't tell what he's going to do later on. He's such a wuss, and doesn't stick by his values. His stances on gays and gay marriage hops around all the time, too. Choose an opinion, buddy. Stand by your guns.

arak0r
08-29-2008, 09:20 PM
im pro abortion, and my avatar is pro-awesome

Sunny
08-30-2008, 05:37 AM
Thing is, I'm fairly pro-life (though I don't really fall on either side...), and I think McCain is a retard for this. At least with Obama, we know he's gonna be pro choice. With McCain, you can't tell what he's going to do later on. He's such a wuss, and doesn't stick by his values. His stances on gays and gay marriage hops around all the time, too. Choose an opinion, buddy. Stand by your guns.

llamas, are you pro-life in the sense that you'd like to prevent abortions, or would you actually like to see Roe vs Wade overturned?

i think there's a big difference between the two...

Llamas
08-30-2008, 01:06 PM
llamas, are you pro-life in the sense that you'd like to prevent abortions, or would you actually like to see Roe vs Wade overturned?

i think there's a big difference between the two...

I think we talked about this before... I actually care about figuring out when life begins. I'm fully against abortion after the first trimester, and I hate that Obama is for partial birth abortion. The first trimester I'm iffy on. I'm fine with things like the day after pill and such.

One argument I heard that I liked was that, if anything has to come out of the mother, it's wrong. If everything just splits up and goes back where it came from, it's fine. Sounds reasonable to me.

But I say I'm pro life, because I feel that it implies that I am okay with all abortion, and ideally I don't believe there should be any abortion (make the day after pill really convenient/cheap) until something can be decided. However, I know that's not going to happen... so I don't really know.

wheelchairman
08-30-2008, 05:00 PM
One argument I heard that I liked was that, if anything has to come out of the mother, it's wrong. If everything just splits up and goes back where it came from, it's fine. Sounds reasonable to me.

It doesn't sound reasonable to me. But I'm tired and not exactly sure what it means. Which I guess why I thought it was kinda funny to say it sounds reasonable, as if that was a given. :p Anyways not that I wanna debate this or care but apparently it's an issue in Denmark that the Danish government doesn't pay for abortions after the 12th week, (genetic disorders like Downs Syndrome or not having a right arm are only detectable in something like the 16th or 20th week.) Of course it's still legal to have an abortion that late, they just won't pay for it so you gotta go to England or something.

Llamas
08-30-2008, 05:58 PM
I definitely don't want to debate it, either. But I'll at least explain the reasoning to you somewhat.

If aborting it just sends cells back into the body, it's basically not its own being. It's still part of the mother, and can be sent back into the mother. The cells just go elsewhere. If aborting it requires pulling its parts out of the mother, it's no longer a PART of the mother. It's a separate being that is just living inside. Those cells aren't going to dissociate and go back somewhere. They need to be removed. I'm not saying I actually agree with this idea, but I do think it's reasonable.

wheelchairman
08-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Hmm it's as good as any other arbitrary criteria for defining life.

Apparently the concensus among politicians or academics here is that life begins somewhere around the 12th to the 20th week (or 16th). Denmark chose conservatively and England didn't.