PDA

View Full Version : Remind me why I eat meat again??

KHWHD
08-25-2008, 08:55 PM
HUGE recall on meat here in Ontario. Scary as hell if you ask me. 12 people dead. I personally don't buy Maple Leaf, but I DO buy Schneiders meat and a shit load of that meat has been recalled as well. I'm seriously thinking I should become a vegetarian.

Look at the list, jezus. That's really bad.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080821/maple_leaf_list_080821/20080821/

Also an article about it.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080824/listeria_expansion_080825/20080825?hub=TopStories

Edit: A better link with the recall list.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/corpaffr/recarapp/2008/list97be.shtml

WebDudette
08-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Because it taste amazing.

Jebus
08-25-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm seriously thinking I should become a vegetarian.
Enjoy your E. Coli.

KHWHD
08-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Enjoy your E. Coli.

Alright, let me re-word that. Maybe I should just give up eating..... period.

WebDudette
08-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Enjoy your starvation and death?

T-6005
08-25-2008, 09:10 PM
I love the Maple Leaf bacon. And unless I'm mistaken that's not in the affected list.

All the same, I stopped eating anything Maple Leaf.

KHWHD
08-25-2008, 09:12 PM
I love the Maple Leaf bacon. And unless I'm mistaken that's not in the affected list.

All the same, I stopped eating anything Maple Leaf.

Good idea. I'm seriously worried. And the dates go back to the beginning of this year. And the incubation period is 70 days. Who knows, you or I could be infected right now. Shit, there's recalls from Timmys, McDonalds, pizza places, Boston Pizza and a bunch of other fast food chains.

adombomb222
08-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Cause you're not a pussy.

Jakebert
08-25-2008, 09:15 PM
SOYLANT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!!!

Wait what's this thread about.

KHWHD
08-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Cause you're not a pussy.

How about you come here and eat a bunch of Maple Leaf meat or any of the other meats listed. Oh wait.... would you? I didn't think so. Now who's the pussy? :eek:

adombomb222
08-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Enjoy your E. Coli.
Ha my sister gets paid to test for that shit in the meat processing/distribution plant in Greeley... Yes the one with all the illegal Mexicans. But she gets paid like $600 a week, thatís pretty good for her first job out of college in her field.

adombomb222
08-25-2008, 09:20 PM
How about you come here and eat a bunch of Maple Leaf meat or any of the other meats listed. Oh wait.... would you? I didn't think so. Now who's the pussy? :eek:

Well I eat mostly Colorado Proud produces, including meat. Pre-cooked/frozen meats aren't my idea of good meat.

KHWHD
08-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Well I eat mostly Colorado Proud produces, including meat. Pre-cooked/frozen meats aren't my idea of good meat.

I never asked you if you thought it was good meat. This is a pretty serious thing and you're making a big joke about it. Glad that people losing lives over something like this is so funny. I'm rarely serious about much (especially stuff online) but this is pretty bad. Grow up and stop being such an asshat.

Hypno Toad
08-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Turkey and Havarti - 58200 00468 - AU 25

Fuck, I just had one of those a few days ago. 23rd, I think..

Well I am not dead, so no matter.

T-6005
08-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Well, knowing I might be violently ill or in serious danger up to two months from now just because I ate some bacon is a pretty shitty feeling. As in mildly terrifying.

Not to mention that I tend to be on the paranoid side about my health.

KHWHD
08-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Turkey and Havarti - 58200 00468 - AU 25

Fuck, I just had one of those a few days ago. 23rd, I think..

Well I am not dead, so no matter.

Hate to burst your bubble, but like I said... it's a 70 day incubation period. And the dates on the meat go back to the beginning of this year. I guess that's for people that freeze their meat... which I personally don't.

KHWHD
08-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Well, knowing I might be violently ill or in serious danger up to two months from now just because I ate some bacon is a pretty shitty feeling.

Not to mention that I tend to be on the paranoid side about my health.

Didn't mean to freak you out (if I did.) I'm sure you've heard it all over the news and the radio. Scary shit. :(

T-6005
08-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Didn't mean to freak you out (if I did.) I'm sure you've heard it all over the news and the radio. Scary shit. :(

Oh, no, it's alright - it's just that the news makes a lot more out of it than it even really is.

The news gets a lot out of fear, and it's just unfortunate. And annoying to realize that I'm as susceptible to it as anyone.

adombomb222
08-25-2008, 09:34 PM
What do you want me to say? "Oh the tragedy! Oh the inhumanity!Ē Because I donít think that will get anyone anywhere. Also Iím not sure because I didnít read any of the articles, besides the recall list, but if it came from on processing plant then you donít have to worry too much after itís all been recalled. If its bacteria its probably a contaminated plant/lab. Like I said, my sister works to detect E. Coli in meat at the Greeley plant, sheís told me how meat get contaminated. Most other bacteria or viruses that would be in the animal are considered safe after the meat is internally cooked to 165 degrees. What people worry about is bacteria and viruses like E. Coli.

Either the plant was severely contaminated or the Lab didnít do its job. The plant will close, donít eat those meat products, if you did seek medical attention. Itís that simple. Colorado has had recalls before, I know itís scary. But after its detected then there isnít much to worry about, the plant wont open again till its been cleaned and tested.

jacknife737
08-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Meh, i've only ever bought their bacon or chicken breasts, but haven't done so in quite some time. And it looks as if I won't be ever again.

KHWHD
08-26-2008, 06:41 AM
What do you want me to say? "Oh the tragedy! Oh the inhumanity!Ē Because I donít think that will get anyone anywhere. Also Iím not sure because I didnít read any of the articles, besides the recall list, but if it came from on processing plant then you donít have to worry too much after itís all been recalled. If its bacteria its probably a contaminated plant/lab. Like I said, my sister works to detect E. Coli in meat at the Greeley plant, sheís told me how meat get contaminated. Most other bacteria or viruses that would be in the animal are considered safe after the meat is internally cooked to 165 degrees. What people worry about is bacteria and viruses like E. Coli.

Either the plant was severely contaminated or the Lab didnít do its job. The plant will close, donít eat those meat products, if you did seek medical attention. Itís that simple. Colorado has had recalls before, I know itís scary. But after its detected then there isnít much to worry about, the plant wont open again till its been cleaned and tested.

You read where I said that the incubation period has 70 days right? So yeah, I think we have a lot to worry about.

Steal
08-26-2008, 08:47 AM
You really should freeze your meat...Gets rid of bacteria. But anyway, if you already ate something, nothing you can do about it now, might as well not worry. :):):):)

medi01
08-26-2008, 11:07 AM
...meat is gooooooooooooood:p

Vera
08-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Honestly I think the only reason I'm not a vegetarian is because I'm beyond lazy and uninventive as a cook. I enjoy vegetarian food and occasionally eat it because I don't have chicken/fish/meat to add to my meal. On the other hand, to turn vegetarian would require to consider all sorts of nutriotional facts about my meals and I'm just not prepared to invest that much thought into what I eat. In other words, lazy.

Andy
08-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease > Listeriosis

lost_nvrfound
08-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Here's the thing with food recalls...

When they recall the meat, something like 90% of it turns out to have not actually contaminated. Like a year ago when they recalled all that pet food. Some of the recalled food included things that I had given my pets so I followed it pretty closely for a while and was super paranoid (actually, my cats ended up sick(we don't know if it was the food or not because they had some similar symptoms, but not the worst of them), but they were fine once the vet took care of them, my dog never got sick at all). But in the end, very little of all of that recalled food would have made animals sick and the amount got so overblown by the media that everyone flipped. When in actuality, very few of the animals who ate the "contaminated food" got sick. They call back soooo much just to be one the safe side. They way over estimate what was infected to make sure that they get all of it. Unfortunately, this causes a bit of widespread panic.

Oh, and not to cause any "UNCLEAN!" panics, but ecoli bacteria is constantly around you and it takes a fairly substantial amount to make you sick. If you really saw the numbers on how many people actually ate it, how many then got sick, and how many died, you'd probably be less worried. The ones who died very likely had compromised immune systems or just weak ones. So, if you feel that you are a healthy individual, you should definitely be alright, as most are.

Damn that was long.

KHWHD
08-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Here's the thing with food recalls...

When they recall the meat, something like 90% of it turns out to have not actually contaminated. Like a year ago when they recalled all that pet food. Some of the recalled food included things that I had given my pets so I followed it pretty closely for a while and was super paranoid (actually, my cats ended up sick(we don't know if it was the food or not because they had some similar symptoms, but not the worst of them), but they were fine once the vet took care of them, my dog never got sick at all). But in the end, very little of all of that recalled food would have made animals sick and the amount got so overblown by the media that everyone flipped. When in actuality, very few of the animals who ate the "contaminated food" got sick. They call back soooo much just to be one the safe side. They way over estimate what was infected to make sure that they get all of it. Unfortunately, this causes a bit of widespread panic.

Oh, and not to cause any "UNCLEAN!" panics, but ecoli bacteria is constantly around you and it takes a fairly substantial amount to make you sick. If you really saw the numbers on how many people actually ate it, how many then got sick, and how many died, you'd probably be less worried. The ones who died very likely had compromised immune systems or just weak ones. So, if you feel that you are a healthy individual, you should definitely be alright, as most are.

Damn that was long.

See, that's the difference though. That's animals. We're talking about humans. AND 12 people died.

Homer
08-26-2008, 05:05 PM
See, that's the difference though. That's animals. We're talking about humans. AND 12 people died.

Read the second paragraph.

Also, yeah, just heard about this yesterday. I don't know how I feel about it. I'm not scared, though. I'm pretty confident that my immune system will handle everything for me.

Actually, funny story: I was at my job a couple of days ago (Tim Horton's) and we ran out of chicken, so what we did was suggest the Turkey products to them, and really try and sell it on them. Long story short, we sold a bunch of Turkey stuff, and apparently that's what was recalled.

KHWHD
08-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Read the second paragraph.

Also, yeah, just heard about this yesterday. I don't know how I feel about it. I'm not scared, though. I'm pretty confident that my immune system will handle everything for me.

Actually, funny story: I was at my job a couple of days ago (Tim Horton's) and we ran out of chicken, so what we did was suggest the Turkey products to them, and really try and sell it on them. Long story short, we sold a bunch of Turkey stuff, and apparently that's what was recalled.

You mean to tell me that no one there knew or heard about it?

I'm assuming there are no other plants (factories) (Maple Leaf) in any of the other cities/provinces in all of Canada or than here in Ontario? I didn't realise that all the meat was made here and shipped all over the country.

Homer
08-26-2008, 05:47 PM
You mean to tell me that no one there knew or heard about it?

I'm assuming there are no other plants (factories) (Maple Leaf) in any of the other cities/provinces in all of Canada or than here in Ontario? I didn't realise that all the meat was made here and shipped all over the country.

Well, in the article it says there were people in B.C. that were affected by it. Also, the main HQ of Maple Leaf is in Ontario, so I'm sure the stuff they produce makes its way across the country.

Sunny
08-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Shank, it's not just meat that can be contaminated. we had a jalapeno pepper/salmonella scare recently... and countless dog food recalls.

food industry = gross.

lost_nvrfound
08-26-2008, 07:30 PM

It goes the same for EVERY recall. Do you remember the Taco Bell ecoli epidemic a couple years ago. That was in New York. Each region has different distributors and so down here, the food didn't come from the same place. Yet, they recalled the scallions from every single Taco Bell across the country! The best part was that it actually turned out to be the lettuce from some of the stores. See what I mean? A couple people died from that incident, too. But yet, most of the hundreds of people who had eaten from those 5 Taco Bells in that time never even got sick. This is the point I was trying to make. The lack of explanation to the public also caused such a drop in business, that they had to lay off a bunch of people across the nation over it (me included). It really sucked.

But my point is that your risk of getting sick is so small. I imagine that the contamination was not nearly what they've made it out to be. There is no reason to get yourself psyched out.

And like Sunny said, it could've been any food, so there is no reason to consider signing off meat because of this. Especially since so much of it tastes so good...

KHWHD
08-26-2008, 08:47 PM
97b is the number/letter of where the meat was made. And that is the plant in North York, ON. I just realized that I had Shopsys Corned Beef about 3 days ago.... and that meat is recalled. Wow. :( I know this because I had 2 of the 4 packages, and gave the other to my sister and she just told me that the 97b is on it.

Shopsys Corned Beef 4x50 g 21093 0 64875 21093 3 22-Oct-08 200 g

Please note: All affected products can be identified by the Establishment number that appears on the packages. The products made at this facility bear Establishment number (Est) 97B. The Establishment number is located near the Best Before or Packed On dates.

GreenTerror
08-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Don't attack me if I'm wrong, I admit I'm totally clueless about this entire subject, but doesn't cooking your meant normally kill bacteria/things that would make you sick? Obviously this wouldn't apply to deli meats, since you don't cook it.

KHWHD
08-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Don't attack me if I'm wrong, I admit I'm totally clueless about this entire subject, but doesn't cooking your meant normally kill bacteria/things that would make you sick? Obviously this wouldn't apply to deli meats, since you don't cook it.

No, it's ok. I didn't know shit about it either until I heard it on the tv and read it online. It's pretty much all deli meats on the recall list. Some sausage and shit too. If you take a look at the recall list it tells you.

adombomb222
08-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Yea, almost everything is killed when meat is cooked to 165 degrees internally. Deli meats are cooked to the temp, however their processed in plants, thatís where foreign bodies are picked up. Also a lot of pre-cooked frozen products risk infection, but freezing it does kill bacteria and also you usually cook that stuff.

KHWHD
08-27-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm kinda freakin' out again. Went out today to this fesitivity thing with my kids and they had hotdogs. So you can imagine the thoughts that crossed my mind and of course asked who made them. I told a couple people that I had eaten some of the recalled meat. And the looks I got, like as if I was going to die in the very near future. I kid you not. They were all smilie and shit until I told them and their faces dropped. I heard on the news that hospitals/doctors can do blood tests to see if you're infected with the bacteria. I'm going to do that this week, just to ease my mind. I took the recalled meat back that I had (in the pics.) and was told that the grocery store has already lost $11,000 due to the recall. It was crazy looking at the shelves of where the meat normally was. It was literally deserted.

And by the sounds of it, Maple Leaf will no longer be a company. They're getting sued billions.

And yes, I took pics. incase I need it for future reference. You can never be too safe. Note the 97B in the first pic, the recall number.

Edit: I forgot to say that the girl at the grocery store told me that I was only the second person to return something for the recall. Not sure if that's a bad or a good thing.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3383/image002rn1.jpg

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8948/image003jc0.jpg

Ryder1234
08-27-2008, 07:58 PM
I heard the recall was expanded today.

KHWHD
08-27-2008, 08:05 PM
I heard the recall was expanded today.

Won't be much meat left on the shelves soon. Sucks cause by the looks of it, they've recalled most if not all of the Schneiders meats now too. And that's basically ALL I buy. :( This fuckin' blows. :(

lost_nvrfound
08-27-2008, 08:31 PM
that bites... how is anyone supposed to survive without bacon and such?

i really don't think i could... I'd quite possibly go mad...

Tom
08-27-2008, 08:40 PM
I work in a grocery store.. in the meat department. I really wish they would just pull ALL of the maple leaf foods off the shelves. Just to be on the safe side, you know?

It'd also save me many hours of trying to explain to foreigners what a recall is or what's safe to buy...

Oh and I should also say that becoming vegetarian won't save you from deadly bacteria. Produce can be just as bad.

KHWHD
08-27-2008, 09:01 PM
I work in a grocery store.. in the meat department. I really wish they would just pull ALL of the maple leaf foods off the shelves. Just to be on the safe side, you know?

It'd also save me many hours of trying to explain to foreigners what a recall is or what's safe to buy...

Oh and I should also say that becoming vegetarian won't save you from deadly bacteria. Produce can be just as bad.

Oh I agree. It's getting ridiculous. Do you notice if they have any of the Schneiders meats left?

KHWHD
08-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Ok, so my Mom sent me this link.

http://www.mapleleaffoodsclaim.com/index.php

I've filled it out, so we'll see what happens.

KHWHD
08-28-2008, 07:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgk3o3AJM2U

A little too late for apologies. :rolleyes:

Ryder1234
08-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Well it is from the 23rd.

KHWHD
08-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Well it is from the 23rd.

So? That's only 5 days ago. That's about when I found out that I ate that fucking infected piece of shit listeriosis meat. :mad: :(

Ryder1234
08-28-2008, 09:00 PM
But all i meant is It was released back when it was first discovered.

Scary thing is the only confirmed deaths so far were in ontario and on van island

EDIT: confirmed as in they know for sure it was liseriosis

F@ BANKZ
08-29-2008, 05:05 AM
I remember a story where a teenager in Britain died of food poisoning from his school dinner's meat. Even if it is cooked properly you can never be certain with meat, but I think it's still safe; you can die from undercooked eggs or choke on a peanut.

I'm not really encouraging you to become vegetarian like I'm expected to so, well, enjoy your murder.

KHWHD
08-29-2008, 06:03 AM
I'm not really encouraging you to become vegetarian like I'm expected to so, well, enjoy your murder.

What's that suppose to mean?

jacknife737
08-29-2008, 11:45 AM
What's that suppose to mean?

A joke. 10 characters

KHWHD
08-29-2008, 11:47 AM
A joke. 10 characters

Sorry, haven't had much of a sense of humour lately.

*Noodles*
08-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Meat is totally awesome, but like all foods can be a bit ropey at times.

that sucks that it's had to be recalled - at least you don't have BSE like us Brits had a few years ago!

KHWHD
08-31-2008, 01:17 PM
Wow, I can't believe that they're re-opening the plant when they're still re-calling meat. Believe me, I won't ever buy their meat again.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=c48a5899-801b-446c-a446-4438c7e484a9

Bipolar Bear
08-31-2008, 02:01 PM
Wow, I can't believe that they're re-opening the plant when they're still re-calling meat. Believe me, I won't ever buy their meat again.

why miss the chance to make more profit?

Not ever buying from them is useless, believe me
all big corporations are the same
unless you buy from a small company you're getting screwed anyway
it's like those people who saw the movie super size me...then they
stopped eating at mcdonalds because of it, and started to eat
at, let's say, burger king instead. The stupidity..
im not generally for boycotting anything, because there's nothing you
can do about it..

F@ BANKZ
08-31-2008, 03:46 PM

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=c48a5899-801b-446c-a446-4438c7e484a9

Off the subject, I remembered a funny article I read when Cadbury's lost over £30 million because they put the wrong nut-allergy information on their eggs.

In case that seemed boring to you: £30 million!!

Bipolar Bear
08-31-2008, 09:05 PM
30 million dollars out of a billion. Poor babies.
That's about the equivalent of me losing a $5 bill.

Sad, but true.

T-6005
08-31-2008, 09:07 PM
30 million dollars out of a billion. Poor babies.
That's about the equivalent of me losing a $5 bill.

Sad, but true.

Your keen grasp of economic realities is stupefyingly accurate.