PDA

View Full Version : n00b guitar question

medi01
08-27-2008, 05:17 AM
basically im a bit of a guitar noob, and i've just got a new semi acoustic guitar which doesnt have a strap pin thing at the neck end, and coz im a noob i don't get how ur suppost to tie it up:confused:

any help would be much appreciated

drummerbecca
08-27-2008, 05:57 AM
Get a shoelace or something and tie it through the end of your guitar strap, then tie the other end to the neck/headstock of the guitar, like this...

http://www.pro-release.co.uk/images/front_pic_large.jpg

Alternatively, you could get something more professional like on this guitar, but a shoelace works just as well :)

medi01
08-27-2008, 06:28 AM
Get a shoelace or something and tie it through the end of your guitar strap, then tie the other end to the neck/headstock of the guitar, like this...

http://www.pro-release.co.uk/images/front_pic_large.jpg

Alternatively, you could get something more professional like on this guitar, but a shoelace works just as well :)

Thanks alot :D

lost_nvrfound
08-27-2008, 07:18 AM

haha. I always use yarn... but then again, I hate having a strap on it because I always feel like I'm going to snap the neck or something... so I no longer use one...

H1T_That
08-27-2008, 09:46 AM
If you were too much of a retard to figure that out, i'm not sure taking up the guitar is the right hobby for you.

Little_Miss_1565
08-27-2008, 10:56 AM
If you were too much of a retard to figure that out, i'm not sure taking up the guitar is the right hobby for you.

Please. Firstly, if someone is young and doesn't know much about playing guitar, it might not be immediately obvious. And second, guitar is easy.

hshduppsnt
08-27-2008, 10:59 AM
basically im a bit of a guitar noob, and i've just got a new semi acoustic guitar which doesnt have a strap pin thing at the neck end, and coz im a noob i don't get how ur suppost to tie it up:confused:

any help would be much appreciated

congrats on the new guitar. What kind is it?

don't be such a tool

medi01
08-27-2008, 11:30 AM

hah...been playin for nearly 2 years so bit late to give it a miss on the hobby list. it was just that i was used to electric and didnt seem right to have it tied up the end, and so i wasn't sure and then created the thread to find out.

congrats on the new guitar. What kind is it?

its just a cheapish LP copy by 'windaroo' (some cheap chinese company), but its hollow with 'f' holes so is sorta semi-acoustic/electro acoustic or whatever

Ryder1234
08-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Drill a small hole where strap buttons normally go (like right above the neck joint), buy a single strap button and put it in.

medi01
08-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Drill a small hole where strap buttons normally go (like right above the neck joint), buy a single strap button and put it in.

hmm i'd luv to and i had briefly thought of it but i can guarantee i'd screw it up somehow and end up with hole in it, or something to screw up the sound, thanks for the tip tho :)

Ryder1234
08-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Well a music store might be able to... I dont know if Id do it myself unless it was a solid body.

mrconeman
08-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Oh, c'mon, we all made noob mistakes at the start.

And second, guitar is easy.
It's easy to suck at any instrument.

bighead384
08-27-2008, 02:23 PM
And second, guitar is easy.

What the hell is easy about it? It's completely unnatural finger movements.

Ryder1234
08-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Not really. It's pretty damn easy if you ask me.

mrconeman
08-27-2008, 02:36 PM
How badly do you suck though?

bighead384
08-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Right now, I can do chords, power chords...easier stuff like that. I'm trying to learn scales and stuff so I can do leads. It's fucking hard.

Ryder1234
08-27-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm in that same area, but a little farther along.

mrconeman
08-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Well, basically I was just making the point that saying guitar is easy in general is ridiculous, depending on alot of things, and I like to think I know what I'm talking about at this stage.

But I get the feeling 1565 wasn't being entirely serious, as it's a retarded statement / she doesn't come off as a retard, and I think we spoke about it before.

lost_nvrfound
08-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Starting out on guitar IS easy. Basic chords and the like are very simple and anyone could do it. Now being a really good player is difficult and takes some skill. But compared to most instruments, its a cake walk. At least the basic stuff is.

It wasn't readily apparent to me either about tying the strap. I had to ask my sister (who learned to play on an acoustic in a guitar class at school). I learned on an electric. If you don't really have experience with hollow bodies, its not gonna be obvious. It really does seem a little off to be tying them like that. I kind of like Ryder's idea of adding a mount.

Ryder1234
08-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Yeah just take it in and ask them if they could do that. If not, Google it and see if there's some instructions on the subject. Be sure to include "Semi hollow" in your search though.

mrconeman
08-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Starting out on guitar IS easy. Basic chords and the like are very simple and anyone could do it. Now being a really good player is difficult and takes some skill. But compared to most instruments, its a cake walk. At least the basic stuff is.
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant when I said...

saying guitar is easy in general is ridiculous, depending on alot of things.
Literally anyone with the working body parts can call themselves a guitarist after a few months of learning chords, but it is by no means an instrument easy to become "good" at.

Depending on your definition of good, and no I don't mean wailing really fast, I mean being a genuine musician using guitar as your medium and of course having some decent guitar playing technique under your belt.

Shit like this is why every home has a guitar and very few have guitar players...even less have decent guitar players and why the instrument is looked down upon by musical snobs.

drummerbecca
08-29-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm not entirely convinced that drilling holes in an acoustic is a good idea...

*Noodles*
08-29-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm not entirely convinced that drilling holes in an acoustic is a good idea...

I would just leave it, use the strap like was mentioned before (using the tying of it to the headstock)..

If you still think it's a good idea down the line, do it - but I'd leave it for just now. Concentrate on learning :)