PDA

View Full Version : Rap?

dora-insomniac
08-30-2008, 03:03 AM
I'm really interested, is there anybody on this page who likes rap?
Eminem, T-Pain, Dr.Dre etc.
I like Eminem 'cause he really raps good, and I know it's strange, I mostly love punk and rock music, so I was wondering is there anyone else like me... :cool:

Keyser
08-30-2008, 03:20 AM
I like rap, as long as its from before 2002.

randman21
08-30-2008, 03:34 AM
I grew up on rap and stuff, but slowly went away from it in the past few years. That kinda sucks because rap is awesome (I feel like I have to state this, despite the tru punx round here). My favorite current rapper is probably Lupe Fiasco.

Wow, I totally sounded 13 thoughout that entire post : (

darea
08-30-2008, 03:45 AM
I always liked rap although Ive stopped listening to the latest stuff, like since 2004 or something. I used to write rap and try practising rapping (in french) but I gave up. When I did listen to rap it was mostly underground stuff, like Non Phixion (they're great), Afu-ra (his first album is one of my favourite rap albums, its so awesome). I love Wyclef Jean too, even though some people say he doesnt do rap. I can't think of any current rapper cause I haven't been listening to any recent stuff.

disclaimer_07
08-30-2008, 01:20 PM
I like Eminem.

jacknife737
08-30-2008, 01:41 PM
I like of the older 80s/90s stuff, ie Public Enemy, and NWA, ect. I also dig the Beastie Boys. Newer stuff i like is the new NAS album, and Lethal Bizzle.

Alex101
08-30-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm only into pre-1994 rap music like Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, Run D.M.C., N.W.A., Wu-Tang Clan and Above the Law.

ad8
08-30-2008, 01:51 PM
I can't say that I generally like or dislike rap. There are some artists that I like and some that I don't like. But Eminem is cool.

Nitro Punk
08-30-2008, 05:28 PM
I 'm not that much into Rap but for sure there is good music in there too!Heard the new song from T.I. ft. Rihanna - Live Your Life !

Awesome idea,I like what they did!!!:)

wheelchairman
08-30-2008, 09:10 PM
I kinda find it annoying when people say they only like oldskool rap. But that's cause everyone says that. Seems very typical.

The rap I'm really into is Sage Francis and Aesop Rock. I also like Talib Kweli and Jedi Mind Tricks, but I don't listen to them that much. Also Immortal Technique and Atmosphere.

WebDudette
08-31-2008, 02:08 AM
I listen to a lot of Kanye, like a ton. I listen to Lupe Fiasco a decent amount as well. Jay-Z has some good songs, and I'll listen to Lil' Wayne on the radio. That about it, though I heard I would really like Pharell.

Autonomist
08-31-2008, 04:49 AM
Whatever happened to The Official Rap Thread? That was one of my favourites up in this motherfucker.

Nas, Kanye West, DJ Premier/Gang Starr, Eminem, Dr. Dre, Hilltop Hoods, Talib Kweli, Dead Prez, Common, Immortal Technique, Reflection Eternal, Obie Trice, Masta Ace, The Herd and Blu & Exile are all where it's at.

mrconeman
08-31-2008, 06:54 AM
I kinda find it annoying when people say they only like oldskool rap. But that's cause everyone says that. Seems very typical.

The rap I'm really into is Sage Francis and Aesop Rock. I also like Talib Kweli and Jedi Mind Tricks, but I don't listen to them that much. Also Immortal Technique and Atmosphere.

Its's only because 95% of what's pawned off as rap on tv/radio these days is total horse shit. I'll happily join the "I only like the oldr stuff" crew though, mostly because I don't know alot of rap beyond it. I'm not as big a fan as I have been, but throw me some Tupac or NWA and I wouldn't turn it off.

Splinter[PI]
08-31-2008, 07:02 AM
I really love Hilltop Hoods. they're awesome.

JohnnyNemesis
08-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Whatever happened to The Official Rap Thread?

Nevar 4 GET! (http://offspring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1131074&postcount=4)

Cock Joke
08-31-2008, 10:08 AM
I like rap, as long as its from before 2002.

Yea. Pretty much the same thing here. It was actually unique back then.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-31-2008, 10:17 AM
I love Nas. He's my favorite rapper by a mile. I also have been getting into 2Pac and Rakim as of late.

I'll gladly take recommendations, but I don't like Jay-Z or any of that Aesop Rock, Sage Francis, Immortal Technique type of stuff that indie fans feel obligated to get into.

JohnnyNemesis
08-31-2008, 10:21 AM
I don't like...any of that Aesop Rock, Sage Francis, Immortal Technique type of stuff that indie fans feel obligated to get into.

I seriously love you.

coke_a_holic
08-31-2008, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I find Aesop Rock boring, Sage Francis ridiculous, and Immortal Technique constantly roped in with the two.

My favorite rappers are Biggie Smalls, Ghostface Killah, Nas, and Spank Rock. Because, like, I'm so gangsta or whatever.

Wu-Tang Clan isn't anything to fuck with?

jacknife737
08-31-2008, 12:26 PM
I keep hearing good things about Blackalicious, and The Coup. Anyone got a good spot to start for either of them?

wheelchairman
08-31-2008, 03:10 PM
Ah to realize that I'm the opposite side of the coin that I hate. :( :( :(

Anyways to legitimate myself, I've only ever had rap recommended to me. So it's people who recommend rap to me that are the indie people. :(

And actually some of it was Johnny Nemesis!

JohnnyNemesis
08-31-2008, 06:31 PM
Issssss tru! I do like SOME of that stuff. But I think most of it is fucking trash. I think I put you on to Talib Kweli though, right? Very very good stuff.

wheelchairman
08-31-2008, 07:11 PM
I actually put on Immortal Technique and Jedi Mind Tricks cause I didn't know anybody had heard of Aesop Rock or Sage Francis.

I call them rap but they have more in common with rock.

But yeah you were the one who introduced me to Talib Kweli. I probably would never have heard it if you hadn't given me some uploads. I did enjoy that.

I gotta ask in this thread, am I the only white person who finds it awkward to listen to black power songs? Obviously it's not that I'm against it, it's just more obvious that I don't relate. No one seems to acknowledge this. :/

XYlophonetreeZ
08-31-2008, 07:24 PM
I gotta ask in this thread, am I the only white person who finds it awkward to listen to black power songs? Obviously it's not that I'm against it, it's just more obvious that I don't relate. No one seems to acknowledge this. :/

I don't really put a lot of thought into it, so not really. But I do always sing along to music, so I tend to attempt to rap along sometimes as well (in songs where it's even close to possible for a whitey such as myself to do so). It's a little weird when there's a lot of "nigga"s in the lyrics. I'm reminded of Michael Bolton in the opening scene of Office Space.

KHWHD
08-31-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm only into pre-1994 rap music like Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, Run D.M.C., N.W.A., Wu-Tang Clan and Above the Law.

Same here. Don't listen to it like I used to. Also used to listen to a lot of R&B. My ex got me into that.

Bipolar Bear
08-31-2008, 09:23 PM
I know this is totally funny but the first music I ever listened to and liked was Will Smith's rap.
I haven't listened to it in soo long, but hey, it actually wasn't bad at the time! I loved it back
then!

Autonomist
09-01-2008, 07:28 AM
I can understand why Immortal Technique wouldn't appeal to everyone, and I find criticisms that Tech is obnoxious and very limited in both ability and subject matter to be justified. I think if he were step outside his comfort zone more often he'd probably appeal to more people, like he does on Leaving the Past and You Never Know. Two of his best tracks in my opinion.

Nevar 4 GET! (http://offspring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1131074&postcount=4)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Goddamn that's even worse than losing that Muse thread.

;1178690']I really love Hilltop Hoods. they're awesome.

Let's befriend.

I keep hearing good things about Blackalicious, and The Coup. Anyone got a good spot to start for either of them?

Blazing Arrow by Blackalicious. I like it, though not as much as other people seem to. It is worth checking out though.

jacknife737
09-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Blazing Arrow by Blackalicious. I like it, though not as much as other people seem to. It is worth checking out though.

Thanks, i'll be sure to check that out.

As for the Coup, i think i'll check out Party Music.

WebDudette
09-04-2008, 08:14 PM
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/145252-new-kanye-single-next-week-new-album-this-year

Potentially a new Kanye single on the way.

Autonomist
09-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Damn, I was just heading here to post that news! Good news it is though.

Jakebert
09-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Hhey Guise Did U Know That U Cnt Spell Crap Wthout Rap?!

Guise Guise Rap Means Retards Attempting Poetry.

WebDudette
09-04-2008, 10:00 PM
That was painfully unfunny.

Ryder1234
09-04-2008, 10:07 PM
I like the rap that you would find in a Tony Hawk type game. Underground stuff. Don't know any names though. Oh, and Every song on Radio Los Santos in GTA: San Andreas.

Static_Martyr
09-07-2008, 01:24 PM
I am going to get shot for saying this, I feel totally certain...

...but...

*braces self*

...I like some stuff by Eminem.

*flinch*

Desperado
09-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Nah, nothing wrong with Eminem. Although I think he's one of the most overrated ever. His flow is amazing, pretty much better than anyone, but his lyrics are honestly pretty terrible.

Autonomist
09-08-2008, 12:28 AM
The new Kanye single is nothing stellar but it's a passable effort. As far as auto-tune shit goes I'd say it's a fucking masterpiece.

WebDudette
09-08-2008, 12:38 AM
I'm typing this as I listen to it.

I really, really hope the rest of the album is better. Maybe this song will grow on me but I really don't like the first 1:30 minutes.

The vocoder stuff is getting annoying and overplayed. 2:30 in.

Boring, weak, repetitive. I'm really disappointed. 3:30 in.

Weakest Kanye single yet, and I think its one of the weaker songs. Hopefully it grows on me or the rest of the album is better.

Autonomist
09-08-2008, 06:46 AM
Kanye! December! Australia! Yesssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!

JohnnyNemesis
09-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Kanye's been doing the vocoder/autotune stuff since 1999. Now is when it's getting overdone?

nieh
09-08-2008, 10:27 AM
I love Nas. He's my favorite rapper by a mile. I also have been getting into 2Pac and Rakim as of late.

I'll gladly take recommendations, but I don't like Jay-Z or any of that Aesop Rock, Sage Francis, Immortal Technique type of stuff that indie fans feel obligated to get into.

I don't care for any of the indie-hip hop folks you just mentioned (I liked the music to one Aesop Rock song I heard but the vocals didn't work well with it, and the other songs I heard I didn't like at all) but I'm absolutely in love with Subtle who I know I've pimped here a bajillion times before. I'd suggest checking them out even if you're not a fan of the other people they get lumped in with and if you end up not liking them then oh well. I'd recommend downloading A Tale of Apes I, The Long Vein of the Law, Return of the Vein and I <3 L.A. I could upload them later if you want but I'm at work now.

Non-indie hip hop, check out Gasoline Dreams and B.O.B by Outkast. Seriously 1/3 of Stankonia is fucking incredible, 1/3 is good-great and 1/3 is bad-meh. Aquemini's more solid but doesn't have quite as high highs for the most part.

WebDudette
09-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Kanye's been doing the vocoder/autotune stuff since 1999. Now is when it's getting overdone?

True, I guess I just don't really like it in this song. It isn't even put to good use in this song.

Tyler Durden
09-08-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm listening to Gang Starr right now, Step in the Arena, perfect to chill too. What other albums of theirs are good?

Autonomist
09-08-2008, 10:21 PM
I'd say Daily Operation is the next step to make it building your Gang Starr discography. Then follow that with Moment of Truth.

ancalan
09-13-2008, 01:42 AM
8Ball and MJG, Method Man, Red Man, Eminem, Big Punisher.......Mike Shinoda and Fred Durst (maybe a bit).....
But 50CENT AIN`T A RAPER!!!!!!!HE IS JUST A MOTHERF**KIN` POSER!!!!!!

Professor Chaos
09-13-2008, 02:11 AM
8Ball and MJG, Method Man, Red Man, Eminem, Big Punisher.......Mike Shinoda and Fred Durst (maybe a bit).....
But 50CENT AIN`T A RAPER!!!!!!!HE IS JUST A MOTHERF**KIN` POSER!!!!!!

Oh god, I lol'd.

ancalan
09-14-2008, 01:36 AM
Oh god, I lol'd.
it`s quite possible Fred Durst is also a poser like 50cent......but i think he raps better.

Smash_Returns
09-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Beastie Boys is all I can stand for rap.

Also, some people call Rage Against The Machine rap, and I like RATM.

Jules69
09-16-2008, 04:28 PM
The only rap crap I could stand was Run DMC, and NWA!! I also think Anthony Swan Kedis raps, and hes BEAUTIFUL!!!:p

Autonomist
10-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Support acts to the Kanye show I'm going to just got announced.

NAS!!!!!!!

Holy fuck that's the most excited I've been all year.

Desperado
10-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Woah, that's nice. I used to love Nas...But he hasn't released a good album in like a decade....His new album is terrible to me. I do like The Lost Tapes and Stillmatic though.

Also it's rumored that Eminem's new album is called "The Empact". And DJ Premier is producing a song on it!

dora-insomniac
10-11-2008, 07:10 AM
I am going to get shot for saying this, I feel totally certain...

...but...

*braces self*

...I like some stuff by Eminem.

*flinch*

ok really man, why would you get shot?! Eminem is the best damn rapper ever, and no tupac or 50 cent could beat his rhymes. he's got the best lyrics, and don't be "embarassed" (I know you were joking but:cool:), cause he's THE BEST.

adombomb222
10-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Eminem

Ok, thats not rap... at all. Thats angery white boy...

I listen to the Wu-Tang Clan, which I consider the only real rap of the 90's.

Autonomist
10-12-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm gonna have to presume that was you failing to be funny, because the results of taking that post seriously can't be good for my blood pressure.

Rutegard
10-13-2008, 02:37 AM
I'm really interested, is there anybody on this page who likes rap?

neh

not really....

JohnnyNemesis
10-14-2008, 06:53 AM
Eminem is the best damn rapper ever

Fucking no.

I listen to the Wu-Tang Clan, which I consider the only real rap of the 90's.

Jesus Christ.

wheelchairman
10-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Also, some people call Rage Against The Machine rap, and I like RATM.
I'm not entirely sure where the rap part is, in their dreadlocks? RATM were just all around horrible though. In my humble opinion.

I also think Anthony Swan Kedis raps, and hes BEAUTIFUL!!!
He's the guy from the Chilli Peppers right?
ugh.

Also lol at Limp Bizkit. Do they still make music?

adombomb222
10-15-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm gonna have to presume that was you failing to be funny, because the results of taking that post seriously can't be good for my blood pressure.

Jesus Christ.

Yo the Wu-Tang Clan ain't nuthing to fuck with.

Tyler Durden
10-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Too bad they haven't made a good album in almost 15 years.

Tyler Durden
10-15-2008, 07:17 PM
New Eminem freestyle: http://www.zshare.net/audio/2061346605a82ef8/

Pretty good...But that fake Indian voice thing is pretty gay...

WebDudette
10-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Everything I've heard from Kanye's new album is disappointing :(.

Desperado
10-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Are you kidding? Coldest Winter is the best thing he's ever done. I know a lot of people don't like Auto-Tune but I don't mind.

nieh
11-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Picked up a handful of albums the other day that some people on my other board considered "must-owns":

Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Not as good as is cracked up to be (though what album in its position is?) but still enjoyable. I'm not sure why I never bought this or his other album before since I've liked/loved every Dre song I've ever heard.

Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back
I had this and I think 2 of their other albums on my computer a few years back but don't remember if I ever gave any of them a proper listen. I like the production work, it's very busy and full sounding and changes frequently enough to keep things interesting. I don't know if it has anything to do with his current public image or not, but I noticed I like the Flavor Flav heavy tracks a whole lot less than the other tracks.

De La Soul is Dead
Got about halfway through it and only really felt like 1-2 songs. The production seems to be the exact opposite of Public Enemy in that it feels very bare and tinny and repetitive (the couple sonngs I liked being the exceptions). I'll have to give it another try.

Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
I'm liking most of this, but I kind of wish there were more tracks in the vein of Go Go Gadget Flow.

The Roots - Game Theory
My favorite of the bunch. Do all of their albums sound this cool?

Anyone have any other recommendations? I've noticed I have a tendency to prefer bands that use a lot more live instrumentation (OutKast, Roots, Subtle) over just a producer/samples, though I'm not against the latter.

coke_a_holic
11-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Josh:

Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers, Spank Rock - YoYoYoYoYo, Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die, Nas - Illmatic, Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele.

If you have any trouble finding any of them, just let me know and I'll upload.

nieh
11-10-2008, 01:18 PM
I heard Wu-Tang's last album and was pretty indifferent towards it (had an ok sound but never felt like it was going anywhere with it). I know 36 Chambers is considered their best, but is it significantly better than that one?

coke_a_holic
11-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Yes.

Yesyesyesyesyesyeyseysyesyeysyesyeysyesyeysyeyes.

Fuck the newest album.

LosingStreak
11-10-2008, 06:25 PM
I just hate rap. All rap.

coke_a_holic
11-10-2008, 06:45 PM
That's because you've been misinformed.

Also, Josh, Lupe Fiasco has an older cd called Food And Liquor that I actually like more than The Cool. Also, I'm seeing him next month and fairly fucking psyched.

nieh
11-10-2008, 06:50 PM
People seem to be split pretty evenly between which Lupe Fiasco album they think is best.

Also, lulz, I just bought a bunch more Roots albums. It'll be a while before I buy any more.

JohnnyNemesis
11-10-2008, 07:06 PM
The Roots - Game Theory
My favorite of the bunch. Do all of their albums sound this cool?

Game Theory is by far their worst album (aside from "Baby" and "Long Time", it's just so fuckin' booooooooooooooriiiiiiiiiiiing), so I'm guessing you're in for a treat when you check out their other stuff!

nieh
11-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Here I Come = not boring at all. I agree there's spots where the album drags though, I still like the majorty. Picked up Things Fall Apart, Rising Down and Phrenology, by the way.

Tyler Durden
11-10-2008, 07:38 PM
You should have gotten Illadelph Halflife. Their best album. Get it as soon as possible.

one hundred punks
11-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Get this now!!

http://www.gifflix.com/files/bbdb41c85593.gif

http://www.cleorecs.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=4729&category=10

Track List:
1. Ice Ice Baby
2. You Dropped A Bomb On Me
3. Fight The Power
4. Jump Around
5. Baby Got Back
6. You Gots To Chill
7. I Got It Made
8. Buffalo Soldier
9. Treat ’Em Right
10. Insane In The Brain

BONUS TRACKS
11. Ice Ice Baby (Rock Hero Mix)
12. Ice Ice Baby (Club Crasher Mix)
13. Ice Ice Baby (New Romantic Mix)

Vanilla Ice
Vanilla Ice Is Back! - Hip Hop Classics • Brand new recordings from platinum selling artist Vanilla Ice - PRE ORDER NOW!!!
• Brand new recordings from platinum selling artist Vanilla Ice returning to his roots with this collection of revamped hip hop classics!

• Features a stellar old school version of his classic “Ice Ice Baby” plus covers of Public Enemy’s “Fight The Power,” Sir Mix-A-Lot’s “Baby Got Back,” Cypress Hill’s “Insane In The Brain,” House Of Pain’s “Jump Around” and more!

• He’s been through multiple transformations in his career but with this release Ice takes his rightful place among the pioneers of rap music, a wise veteran who still has plenty to offer the hip hop community![/quote]

nieh
11-11-2008, 08:03 AM
Unless I misplaced it, I already have his entire discography aside from Hooked, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooked_(Vanilla_Ice_album)) which is impossible to find.

nieh
11-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Are any other Dungeon Family bands/albums worth checking out? Outkast = awesome (listened to Stankonia again earlier today, I still say that if they chopped off the weakest 1/3 this would be one of the best albums ever), and wiki says Gnarls Barkley (who also = awsome) are a part of it too which I didn't realize so now I'm curious if anyone else involved is that awesome.

wheelchairman
11-13-2008, 06:48 AM
Whenever someone replies to this thread I get the overwhelming urge to say You can't spell cRAP without RAP!

oooh!

wheelchairman
11-13-2008, 06:48 AM
You can't spell cRAP without RAP!

nieh
11-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Oh yeah? Well you can't spell "hipster" without "shit". Take THAT!

coke_a_holic
11-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Oh yeah? Well you can't spell "hipster" without "shit". Take THAT!

Actually, Hipster is an anagram for "Shit, Per."

Just sayin'.

wheelchairman
11-15-2008, 03:14 PM
As in "Shit, Per's so right!"

Which is an anagram for "hipster sir goths"

nieh
11-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Actually, Hipster is an anagram for "Shit, Per."

Just sayin'.

I wish I was better with anagrams.

WebDudette
11-19-2008, 03:34 PM
The new Kanye is so... bad.

Tyler Durden
11-19-2008, 04:12 PM
808s and Heartbreak is a masterpiece. Not kidding. The use of auto-tune is brilliant because it ties in to the theme of being heartbroken.

Tyler Durden
11-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Also, with the exception of Thriller and Purple Rain, it's the best pop album ever released.

WebDudette
11-19-2008, 04:46 PM
so... bad.

Autonomist
11-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Listening to 808's & Heartbreak right now, a couple of things occur to me.

Firstly, Kanye is surrounded by so much talent. He's got Common and John Legend signed to his label, he's part of a supergroup with Pharrell and Lupe Fiasco, he's associated with both Mos and Talib through past works and most notably of all he's responsible for producing most of Jay-Z's better stuff over the last few years. Despite all this however the only high-profile guest spots on 808 are Young Jeezy and Lil' Wayne, both of whom are just plain fucking shit. I mean... why?

Secondly, it's not a completely horrible effort. It's not in the same league as anything he's done prior however in my opinion he's still yet to top The College Dropout. I really don't like the auto-tune at all, but I can appreciate some of the songs where it's less apparent. The tracks I kind of like are Welcome to Heartbreak and Paranoid, and I think Heartless will probably grow on me a bit just for the fucking awesomeness of the video clip. There are a couple of tracks I can't stand to listen to, most notably the Young Jeezy verse of Amazing, but overall it's more underwhelming than overly bad.

Best of all I'm seeing him live in six days from today, with support from Nas! Cause it's only just come out I hope he's smart enough not to perform a predominantly 808's setlist, being that most of the crowd won't know it through and through yet.

NGNM85
11-29-2008, 11:53 PM
For the most part I strongly dislike rap. I like some of the earlier stuff like Public Enemy or Easy E, because it was more political, more intellectual, I just can't connect with a lot of this modern stuff like Jay-Z. Some Eminem is tolerable. The only modern rapper I'm actually into is Immortal Technique, "Revolutionary: Vol. 2" is AWESOME. I'd also recommend Tim Armstrong's rap/punk fusion band the Transplants.

nieh
12-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Phrenology = really good.

Just thought I'd point that out.

JohnnyNemesis
12-03-2008, 02:40 PM
For the most part I strongly dislike rap. I like some of the earlier stuff like Public Enemy or Easy E, because it was more political, more intellectual, I just can't connect with a lot of this modern stuff like Jay-Z. Some Eminem is tolerable. The only modern rapper I'm actually into is Immortal Technique, "Revolutionary: Vol. 2" is AWESOME. I'd also recommend Tim Armstrong's rap/punk fusion band the Transplants.

Words can't even describe how much I hate the world after reading this series of clichés.

Also, the fucking TRANSPLANTS? The TRANSPLANTS? What the fuck is wrong with you?!

bighead384
12-03-2008, 03:19 PM
I only like rap once in a while, but it is true that a lot of people that don't like it have really ignorant and cliche opinions about it. It's such bullshit that everyone says they like old school rap from the early 90's, but they don't like any modern rap at all. That's just a ridiculous thing to say and it doesn't make any damn sense. The only reason they think that is because they judge ALL of modern rap based on the whole "rap designed for white people" thing that's popular now.

nieh
12-03-2008, 03:28 PM
The only rap bands I'm REALLY into are modern. Although I'm terribly guilty of liking mostly "rap for white people".

bighead384
12-03-2008, 03:45 PM
The only rap bands I'm REALLY into are modern. Although I'm terribly guilty of liking mostly "rap for white people".

A lot of the "rap for white people" happens to be really good I think. But most of the white people that like it avoid most other rap. I don't understand that. It's interesting to get a glimpse into a world that you can't really relate to.

Now I'm in the mood for rap! Time for some Biggie.

JohnnyNemesis
12-03-2008, 04:39 PM
What gets me about that "rap for white people" stuff is that, 90% of the time, it does exaaaaaaactly what those very same white people claim they hate about other rap. The only difference is that they happen to do it without any fucking rhythm and on a shitty as hell beat, so it's acceptable. (That and they just hide it better, whatever)

I hate everything right now, don't mind me.

bighead384
12-03-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm no rap expert, but it seems to me that there are two main kinds of "rap for white people" right now. The mainstream rap that is designed for mass appeal, and the kind of rap that pretentious indie kids listen to. I was mostly talking about the former earlier.

JohnnyNemesis
12-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Ahh, I was talking about the latter.

nieh
12-03-2008, 05:13 PM
I was referring a little to both with regards to myself. Outkast = the ultimate rap for white people band, but they're mainstream. Subtle = rap for pretentious white indie people. Roots = somewhere in the between?

JohnnyNemesis
12-03-2008, 05:23 PM
It's usually assumed that white people love The Roots, but my findings are sketchy there.

My favorite case is Dead Prez. They berate white people at every show, every single song is about Black/African improvement and strength and pointing out how evil the white supremacist system is...yet they have a fucking HUMONGOUS white fan base. It's hilarious. Their best song is one in which they talk about committing armed robbery and other crimes against white folks, and the white people LOVE singing the chorus at shows.

Incidentally, they're actually quite skilled.

Llamas
12-03-2008, 05:39 PM
I tend to like white people rap... like Atmosphere. Where does he fall?

But I also dig stuff like Jay Z (I loves him).

By the way, I don't know if that guy is gonna come back here, but...

In what way, shape or form is Eminem more political, more intelligent, or more tolerable than Jay Z? Honestly, this just makes me think that you've never actually listened to any of Jay Z's lyrics besides in like, "Big Pimpin" or "Can I Get A". Seriously, Jay Z has some INCREDIBLY smart lyrics. And compared to Eminem... really?

JohnnyNemesis
12-03-2008, 05:42 PM
I won't say anything about Atmosphere, I'll just throw up in this bucket here instead :P

Well said about Jay-Z / Eminem though. Also, before Encore, Eminem would occasionally drop some insanely intelligent shit into his lyrics here and there, but not on his singles, of course. He kinda toyed with people and did sorta what Jay-Z claimed he was doing on Moment of Clarity: purposely not being intelligent in order to make money, but giving people some little bits of proof that he aint a dummy.

nieh
12-03-2008, 06:10 PM
I hold rap to the same standards I hold every other type of music. How the music/vocals sound is way more important than the lyrics (though that doesn't mean the lyrics are worthless) so if a group like Dead Prez sounds good to me, I'd have no problem listening to them even if they were preaching about having me killed (though I might not want to see them live, just in case). I don't stop listening to bands like Unwritten Law because I disagree with macho shit like "take off your pants with me!" (although I do make fun of it every time it's on and have a harder time taking them seriously now, they still sound cool). I know I mentioned in here somewhat recently that I'm trying to actively expose myself to a bit more rap in general (most of my friends don't listen to rap at all and those that do have very, very different taste in music from me, so I can go years without hearing a band that appeals to me, and the few bands that DO really interest me I really like and want more stuff like) and I've noticed that all the rap groups I've ever fallen in love with (instead of just liking) have a tendency to use much more live instrumentation than is typical of the genre (even if I didn't realize that was the case until after the fact). I guess that live stuff just gives the sound a bit of fullness and fluidity that it's difficult to replicate otherwise (though not impossible. Gnarls Barkley pull it off, though they're not rap).

I (use) too (many) (paren(t)he)ses.

Llamas
12-03-2008, 06:25 PM
I won't say anything about Atmosphere, I'll just throw up in this bucket here instead :P
Haha, why do you hate Atmosphere?

Well said about Jay-Z / Eminem though. Also, before Encore, Eminem would occasionally drop some insanely intelligent shit into his lyrics here and there, but not on his singles, of course. He kinda toyed with people and did sorta what Jay-Z claimed he was doing on Moment of Clarity: purposely not being intelligent in order to make money, but giving people some little bits of proof that he aint a dummy.
Oh yeah, it's not like Eminem is stupid; he's definitely not. I think the Marshall Mathers LP was a terrific album, and I like the Eminem Show, as well. He can be smart, but I think he wanted to be famous more than he wanted to be deep. So he reiterated the "I don't give a fuck!" and "I hate my mom" stuff too much.

I hold rap to the same standards I hold every other type of music. How the music/vocals sound is way more important than the lyrics (though that doesn't mean the lyrics are worthless) so if a group like Dead Prez sounds good to me, I'd have no problem listening to them even if they were preaching about having me killed (though I might not want to see them live, just in case). I don't stop listening to bands like Unwritten Law because I disagree with macho shit like "take off your pants with me!" (although I do make fun of it every time it's on and have a harder time taking them seriously now, they still sound cool). I know I mentioned in here somewhat recently that I'm trying to actively expose myself to a bit more rap in general (most of my friends don't listen to rap at all and those that do have very, very different taste in music from me, so I can go years without hearing a band that appeals to me, and the few bands that DO really interest me I really like and want more stuff like) and I've noticed that all the rap groups I've ever fallen in love with (instead of just liking) have a tendency to use much more live instrumentation than is typical of the genre (even if I didn't realize that was the case until after the fact). I guess that live stuff just gives the sound a bit of fullness and fluidity that it's difficult to replicate otherwise (though not impossible. Gnarls Barkley pull it off, though they're not rap).

I definitely do not think that it's fair to rate rap music based on the music itself. Huge reasons: the music is (almost) never written by the rapper, and much of the time it's sampled. I have a hard time giving credit to a rapper for "hey, you picked good music to rap over".

The ability to rap, the flow, the rhythm, the pitch and tone... that all is crucial, and for me it's more crucial than the lyrics... but since rap is an INCREDIBLY lyrical genre of music (if not THE most lyrical), lyrics matter a lot to me. In most music, they don't; the music is what counts most of all.

I do agree that I SOOOOO prefer live instrumentation over sampling. Holy shit, hands down.

nieh
12-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Haha, why do you hate Atmosphere?

I know you didn't ask me, but I think they're boring.

I definitely do not think that it's fair to rate rap music based on the music itself. Huge reasons: the music is (almost) never written by the rapper I don't care if it's the rapper or the producer who's responsible, I just care if it sounds good.

and much of the time it's sampled. I have a hard time giving credit to a rapper for "hey, you picked good music to rap over". I agree to a point. If they're basically just rapping over one song the whole time it can get a little lame and make me want to listen to the original song instead. I understand why it started off that way, and I have no problem with them still using samples today, but most of the time it can't be written off as something as simple as rapping over someone else's song. A lot of producers can do some neat things using samples as starting points or accents while still making new music despite having elements of older songs in them. I do wish sampling would start to fade out a little bit though since it doesn't seem as necessary as it once was.

Llamas
12-03-2008, 08:43 PM
I know you didn't ask me, but I think they're boring.
Hmm, well I'm assuming you don't think his lyrics are boring based on what you said before... if you're judging the music, I can agree depending on which album. His newest album is pretty much all live instrumentation and really well done, for instance.

I agree to a point. If they're basically just rapping over one song the whole time it can get a little lame and make me want to listen to the original song instead. I understand why it started off that way, and I have no problem with them still using samples today, but most of the time it can't be written off as something as simple as rapping over someone else's song. A lot of producers can do some neat things using samples as starting points or accents while still making new music despite having elements of older songs in them. I do wish sampling would start to fade out a little bit though since it doesn't seem as necessary as it once was.
I can see where you're coming from... I guess I just don't care much for production, though. I'm more into actual music.

darea
12-04-2008, 01:29 AM
What do you call rap for white people? (please don't name too many newish recent rappers, cause I wouldn't know them). Apart from Outkast (I never thought it was "for white people" though).

It's funny cause rap in france isn't seen the same way. Its not for Black people or for white, bands are always a mixture of all, and there are a lot more Arab (non black) people around. So it's more rap for people who live in the "cités" suburbs, poor areas, who listen to like all the commercial stuff a lot, and anything else, a lot of the rap that's just complaining about things all the time.

Then there's those who listen to rap, not because it's rap and because it's trendy, neither because it talks about subjects that they can realte to but because there more interested in the actual music, and in the message given by the rappers.

Cause I don't know, there's people who grow up in an atmosphere where everyone listens to rap and there's those who actually choose to listen to it, without being imposed.

I don't listen to rap much these days. But what I really liked was Necro, Non Phixion, High and Mighty... They're all white but they're not rapping for white people. They're underground so they have more liberty, and I think they make good music, have a good flow, and are good to listen to. Also Cage (Album "movies for the blind : loved it because it's kinda like the equivalent of a stephen king book given in rap).

I can't stand all the shitty commercial stuff. I also love Afu-Ra , or at least his first album "the body of the lifeforce" was awesome.

nieh
12-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Hmm, well I'm assuming you don't think his lyrics are boring based on what you said before... if you're judging the music, I can agree depending on which album. His newest album is pretty much all live instrumentation and really well done, for instance.
Atmostphere = a duo, not a he, isn't it? Slug does vocals, someone else dose the production but I forgot his name. And how long ago did their last album come out? I remember streaming one on myspace maybe like 6 months or a year ago and finding it pretty dull.

I'm more into actual music.
lulz

And I agree with what you said earlier about the flow and rhythm of the rapper being insanely important, though I don't know why I didn't reply to that with all the other stuff. I've been passive-aggressively trying to get Rick to listen to Subtle for a while now, because even though they're pretentious indie-kid rap that he would WANT to hate, their vocalist has the most infectious flow I've ever heard which might win him over to some extent.

Llamas
12-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Atmostphere = a duo, not a he, isn't it? Slug does vocals, someone else dose the production but I forgot his name. And how long ago did their last album come out? I remember streaming one on myspace maybe like 6 months or a year ago and finding it pretty dull.
Yeah, but everyone in Minnesota refers to Atmosphere as "he". I think it's mostly because he's the only consistent member (started off as three people, went down to two, and he's changed producers), plus Slug is always the only one to do interviews and stuff... so he's kinda like Trent and NIN, only moreso.
edit: his new album came out in July or August. I could upload it for you, if you're interested.

lulz
Haha, I totally said that weird.

And I agree with what you said earlier about the flow and rhythm of the rapper being insanely important, though I don't know why I didn't reply to that with all the other stuff. I've been passive-aggressively trying to get Rick to listen to Subtle for a while now, because even though they're pretentious indie-kid rap that he would WANT to hate, their vocalist has the most infectious flow I've ever heard which might win him over to some extent.
Upload some in the music thread... I wanna hear.

nieh
12-04-2008, 11:32 AM
I'll get some up after I get home from work. I wouldn't be surprised if you wind up downright hating them (lots of other people do and I know you and I don't have much overlap when it comes to taste), though there's no harm in giving them a shot.

Don't worry about upping the Atmosphere stuff. I'm pretty sure that's the one I heard already and found it to be mostly pretty dull.

Trivia: Slug and Doseone (the vocalist from Subtle) used to be in a band called Deep Puddle Dynamics together with a couple other people.

WebDudette
12-04-2008, 11:42 AM
they're pretentious indie-kid rap that he would WANT to hate, their vocalist has the most infectious flow I've ever heard which might win him over to some extent.

But I like them!
...oh wait :(.

Anyway, I just downloaded the Black Album and actually really liked it. I asked this once before but where do I go from here?

Llamas
12-04-2008, 08:19 PM
But I like them!
...oh wait :(.

Anyway, I just downloaded the Black Album and actually really liked it. I asked this once before but where do I go from here?

Assuming you're referring to Jay Z, and that's the only album you have, the most sought after Jay Z albums besides that one are The Blueprint and Reasonable Doubt. The Blueprint is more recent, while Reasonable Doubt is his debut... I'm not a huge fan, but it's super popular among fans.

The order I'd suggest:

Black Album
The Blueprint
Reasonable Doubt
Vol. 1
Vol. 2
Vol. 3
American Gangster
The Dynasty: Roc La Familia
Kingdom Come
Blueprint 2

...am I missing any?

If you weren't referring to Jay Z, I feel like an idiot.

nieh
12-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Subtle - For Hero: For Fool (http://www.sendspace.com/file/l8cvil)

Also posted it to the music sharing thread with a very brief review. Rick, you need to download this too! And tell me what you think, even if you hate it.

NGNM85
12-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Words can't even describe how much I hate the world after reading this series of clichés.

I only like rap once in a while, but it is true that a lot of people that don't like it have really ignorant and cliche opinions about it. It's such bullshit that everyone says they like old school rap from the early 90's, but they don't like any modern rap at all. That's just a ridiculous thing to say and it doesn't make any damn sense.

Chris Rock, for example, says the same thing: “In the old days, it was easy to defend rap music, it was easy to defend it on an intellectual level. You could break it down, INTELLECTUALLY why Grandmaster Flash was art, why Run DMC was art… You could break it down INTELLECTUALLY. I love all the rappers today, but it’s getting hard to defend this shit. It’s hard to defend “I Got Ho’s in Different Area Codes”, it’s hard to defend “Move Bitch, Get Out of the Way”…,etc.”
I'd say he's a pretty good authority on the subject. As for ignorance, being a lack of specific knowledge, thats' not really a revelation as I freely admit I am not an aficianado of rap music, also, you're authority as an expert is undermined by defining "early 90's rap" as "old school." You're about a decade off but you still probably know more about rap, in general, than I do. I think it makes perfect sense. Early rap was much more about politics, all I see now is mindless hedonism; cars, money, girls, etc., and little else. Perhaps this is "rap music for white people". Thats' just from what I've seen. I like Immortal Technique because he's clearly extremely intelligent and raps almost exclusively about politics and social issues. I can liken it to punk bands like Bad Religion, Crass, or Anti-Flag. However, I don't think he typifies the genre.

Also, the fucking TRANSPLANTS? The TRANSPLANTS? What the fuck is wrong with you?!

Yes, the Transplants. Clearly, you're not a fan. It's pretty useless to argue the merits of the band as that is a matter of taste, which is much more subjective, if I'd said I liked the Backstreet Boys that'd be pretty open and shut, but it's mostly subjective. I liken the Transplants to Body Count, except with punk instead of metal. (Although i think in some ways Body Count were very punk.) Theres' also historical precedent, like the Clash on "Magnificent Seven", and a couple other tracks, Blondie's "Rapture", and Big Audio Dynamite, which were fantastic band, in my opinion.

Llamas
12-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Subtle - For Hero: For Fool (http://www.sendspace.com/file/l8cvil)

Also posted it to the music sharing thread with a very brief review.

Sweet, downloadin'.

Chris Rock, for example, says the same thing: “In the old days, it was easy to defend rap music, it was easy to defend it on an intellectual level. You could break it down, INTELLECTUALLY why Grandmaster Flash was art, why Run DMC was art… You could break it down INTELLECTUALLY. I love all the rappers today, but it’s getting hard to defend this shit. It’s hard to defend “I Got Ho’s in Different Area Codes”, it’s hard to defend “Move Bitch, Get Out of the Way”…,etc.”
I'd say he's a pretty good authority on the subject. As for ignorance, being a lack of specific knowledge, thats' not really a revelation as I freely admit I am not an aficianado of rap music, also, you're authority as an expert is undermined by defining "early 90's rap" as "old school." You're about a decade off but you still probably know more about rap, in general, than I do. I think it makes perfect sense. Early rap was much more about politics, all I see now is mindless hedonism; cars, money, girls, etc., and little else. Perhaps this is "rap music for white people". Thats' just from what I've seen. I like Immortal Technique because he's clearly extremely intelligent and raps almost exclusively about politics and social issues. I can liken it to punk bands like Bad Religion, Crass, or Anti-Flag. However, I don't think he typifies the genre.
Rap music seems to be about drugs, sex, and money because you aren't paying attention to anything that's not blasting all over the radio. I don't know what rap artists were popular in the 80s or 90s, but you're probably meaning to say that MAINSTREAM radio rap sucks now compared to then.

Also, why is Chris Rock good authority on rap music? Cause he's black?

nieh
12-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Early rap was much more about politics, all I see now is mindless hedonism; cars, money, girls, etc., and little else.

i said a hip hop the hippie the hippie
to the hip hip hop, a you dont stop
the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie
to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

now what you hear is not a test--i'm rappin to the beat
and me, the groove, and my friends are gonna try to move your feet
see i am wonder mike and i like to say hello
to the black, to the white, the red, and the brown, the purple and yellow
but first i gotta bang bang the boogie to the boogie
say up jump the boogie to the bang bang boogie
let's rock, you dont stop
rock the riddle that will make your body rock
well so far youve heard my voice but i brought two friends along
and next on the mike is my man hank
come on, hank, sing that song

check it out, i'm the c-a-s-an-the-o-v-a
and the rest is f-l-y
ya see i go by the code of the doctor of the mix
and these reasons i'll tell ya why
ya see i'm six foot one and i'm tons of fun
and i dress to a t
ya see i got more clothes than muhammad ali and i dress so viciously
i got bodyguards, i got two big cars
that definitely aint the wack
i got a lincoln continental and a sunroof cadillac
so after school, i take a dip in the pool
which really is on the wall
i got a color tv so i can see
the knicks play basketball
hear me talkin bout checkbooks, credit cards
more money than a sucker could ever spend
but i wouldnt give a sucker or a bum from the rucker
not a dime til i made it again
ya go hotel motel whatcha gonna do today (say what)
ya say im gonna get a fly girl gonna get some spankin
drive off in a def oj
everybody go, hotel motel holiday inn
say if your girl starts actin up, then you take her friend
master gee, am I mellow
its on you so what you gonna do

well it's on n on n on on n on
the beat dont stop until the break of dawn
i said m-a-s, t-e-r, a g with a double e
i said i go by the unforgettable name
of the man they call the master gee
well, my name is known all over the world
by all the foxy ladies and the pretty girls
i'm goin down in history
as the baddest rapper there could ever be
now i'm feelin the highs and ya feelin the lows
the beat starts gettin into your toes
ya start poppin ya fingers and stompin your feet
and movin your body while youre sittin in your seat
and the damn ya start doin the freak
i said damn, right outta your seat
then ya throw your hands high in the air
ya rockin to the rhythm, shake your derriere
ya rockin to the beat without a care
with the sureshot m.c.s for the affair
now, im not as tall as the rest of the gang
but i rap to the beat just the same
i dot a little face and a pair of brown eyes
all im here to do ladies is hypnotize
singin on n n on n on n on
singin on n n on n on on n on
like a hot buttered a pop da pop da pop dibbie dibbie
pop da pop pop ya dont dare stop
come alive yall gimme what ya got
i guess by now you can take a hunch
and find that i am the baby of the bunch
'but that's okay i still keep in stride
cause all i'm here to do is just wiggle your behind
singin on n n on n on n on
singin on n n on n on on n on
rock rock yall throw it on the floor
im gonna freak ya here im gonna feak ya there
im gonna move you outta this atmosphere
cause im one of a kind and ill shock your mind
ill put t-t-tickets in your behind
i said 1-2-3-4, come on girls get on the floor
a-come alive, yall a-gimme what ya got
cause im guaranteed to make you rock
i said 1-2-3-4 tell me wonder mike what are you waitin for?
i said a hip hop the hippie to the hippie
the hip hip hop, a you dont stop
the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie
to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat
skiddlee beebop a we rock a scoobie doo
and guess what america we love you
cause ya rock and ya roll with so much soul
you could rock till you're a hundred and one years old
i dont mean to brag i dont mean to boast
but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast
rock it up baby bubbah
baby bubbah to the boogie da bang bang da boogie
to the beat beat, its so unique
come on everybody and dance to the beat

i said a hip hop the hippie the hippie
to the hip hip hop, a you dont stop
rock it out baby bubbah to the boogie da bang bang
the boogie to the boogie da beat

i said i cant wait til the end of the week
when im rappin to the rhythm of a groovy beat
and attempt to raise your body heat
just blow your mind so that you cant speak
and do a thing but a rock and shuffle your feet
and let it change up to a dance called the freak
and when ya finally do come in to your rhythmic beat
rest a little while so ya dont get weak
i know a man named hank
he has more rhymes than a serious bank
so come on hank sing that song
to the rhythm of the boogie da bang bang da bong

well, im imp the dimp the ladies pimp
the women fight for my delight
but im the grandmaster with the three mcs
that shock the house for the young ladies
and when you come inside, into the front
you do the freak, spank, and do the bump
and when the sucker mcs try to prove a point

we're treacherous trio, we're the serious joint
a from sun to sun and from day to day
i sit down and write a brand new rhyme
because they say that miracles never cease
i've created a devastating masterpiece
i'm gonna rock the mike til you cant resist
everybody, i say it goes like this
well i was comin home late one dark afternoon
a reporter stopped me for a interview
she said she's heard stories and she's heard fables
that i'm vicious on the mike and the turntables
this young reporter i did adore
so i rocked a vicious rhyme like i never did before
she said damn fly guy im in love with you
the casanova legend must have been true
i said by the way baby what's your name
said i go by the name of lois lane
and you could be my boyfiend you surely can
just let me quit my boyfriend called superman
i said he's a fairy i do suppoose
flyin through the air in pantyhose
he may be very sexy or even cute
but he looks like a sucker in a blue and red suit
i said you need a man who's got finesse
and his whole name across his chest
he may be able to fly all through the night
but can he rock a party til the early light
he cant satisfy you with his little worm
but i can bust you out with my super sperm
i go do it, i go do it, i go do it, do it , do it
an i'm here an i'm there i'm big bang hank, im everywhere
just throw your hands up in the air
and party hardy like you just dont care
let's do it dont stop yall a tick a tock yall you dont stop
go hotel motel what you gonna do today(say what)
im gonna get a fly girl gonna get some spank drive off in a def oj
everybody go hotel motel holiday inn
you say if your girl starts actin up then you take her friend
i say skip, dive, what can i say
i cant fit em all inside my oj
so i just take half and bust them out
i give the rest to master gee so he could shock the house
it was twelve o'clock one friday night
i was rockin to the beat and feelin all right
everybody was dancin on the floor
doin all the things they never did before
and then this fly fly girl with a sexy lean
she came into the bar, she came into the scene
as she traveled deeper inside the room
all the fellas checked out her white sasoons
she came up to the table, looked into my eyes
then she turned around and shook her behind
so i said to myself, its time for me to release
my vicious rhyme i call my masterpiece
and now people in the house this is just for you
a little rap to make you boogaloo
now the group ya hear is called phase two
and let me tell ya somethin we're a helluva crew
once a week we're on the street
just a-cuttin' the jams and making it free
for you to party ya got to have the movies
so we'll get right down and give you the groove
for you to dance you gotta get hype
so we'll get right down for you tonight
now the system's on and the girls are there
ya definitely have a rockin affair
but let me tell ya somethin there's still one fact
that to have a party ya got to have a rap
so when the party's over you're makin it home
and tryin to sleep before the break of dawn
and while ya sleepin ya start to dream
and thinkin how ya danced on the disco scene
my name appears in your mind
yeah, a name you know that was right on time
it was phase two just a doin a do
rockin ya down cause ya know we could
to the rhythm of the beat that makes ya freak
come alive girls get on your feet
to the rhythm of the beat to the beat the beat
to the double beat beat that it makes ya freak
to the rhythm of the beat that says ya go on
on n on into the break of dawn
now i got a man comin on right now
he's guaranteed to throw down
he goes by the name of wonder mike
come on wonder mike do what ya like

nieh
12-04-2008, 09:55 PM
like a can of beer that's sweeter than honey
like a millionaire that has no money
like a rainy day that is not wet
like a gamblin fiend that does not bet
like dracula with out his fangs
like the boogie to the boogie without the boogie bang
like collard greens that dont taste good
like a tree that's not made out of wood
like goin up and not comin down
is just like the beat without the sound no sound
to the beat beat, ya do the freak
everybody just rock and dance to the beat
have you ever went over a friends house to eat
and the food just aint no good
i mean the macaroni's soggy the peas are mushed
and the chicken tastes like wood
so you try to play it off like you think you can
by sayin that youre full
and then your friend says momma he's just being polite
he aint finished uh uh that's bull
so your heart starts pumpin and you think of a lie
and you say that you already ate
and your friend says man there's plenty of food
so you pile some more on your plate
while the stinky foods steamin your mind starts to dreamin
of the moment that it's time to leave
and then you look at your plate and your chickens slowly rottin
into something that looks like cheese
oh so you say that's it i got to leave this place
i dont care what these people think
im just sittin here makin myself nauseous
with this ugly food that stinks
so you bust out the door while its still closed
still sick from the food you ate
and then you run to the store for quick relief
from a bottle of kaopectate
and then you call your friend two weeks later
to see how he has been
and he says i understand about the food
baby bubbah but we're still friends
with a hip hop the hippie to the hippie
the hip hip a hop a you dont stop the rockin
to the bang bang boogie
say up jump the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie the beat
i say hank can ya rock
can ya rock to the rhythm that just dont stop
can ya hip me to the shoobie doo
i said come on
i go to the halls and then ring the bell
because i am the man with the clientele
and if ya ask me why i rock so well
a big bang, i got clientele
and from the time i was only six years old
i never forgot what i was told
it was the best advice that i ever had
it came from my wise dear old dad
he said sit down punk i wanna talk to you
and dont say a word until i'm through
now there's a time to laugh a time to cry
a time to live and a time to die
a time to break and a time to chill
to act civilized or act real ill
but whatever ya do in your lifetime
ya never let a mc steal your rhyme
so from sixty six til this very day
ill always remember what he had to say
so when the sucker mcs try to chump my style
i let them know that i'm versatile
i got style finesse and a little black book
that's filled with rhymes and i know you wanna look
but there's a thing that separates you from me
and that's called originality
because my rhymes are on from what you heard
i didnt even bite and not a god d--m word
and i say a little more later on tonight
so the sucker mc's can bite all night
a tick a tock yall a beat beat yall
a lets rock yall ya dont stop
ya go hotel motel whatcha gonna do today (say what)
ya say im gonna get a fly girl gonna get some spankin
drive off in a def oj
everybody go hotel motel holiday inn
ya say if your girl starts actin up then you take her friends
a like that yall to the beat yall
beat beat yall ya dont stop
a master gee am I mellow?
its on you so whatcha gonna do

well like johnny carson on the late show
a like frankie croker in stereo
well like the barkay's singin holy ghost
the sounds to throw down they're played the most

its like my man captain sky
whose name he earned with his super sperm
we rock and we dont stop
get off yall im here to give you whatcha got
to the beat that it makes you freak
and come alive girl get on your feet
a like a perry mason without a case
like farrah fawcett without her face

like the barkays on the mike
like gettin right down for you tonight
like movin your body so ya dont know how
right to the rhythm and throw down

like comin alive to the master gee
the brother who rocks so viciously
i said the age of one my life begun
at the age of two i was doin the do
at the age of three it was you and me
rockin to the sounds of the master gee
at the age of four i was on the floor
givin all the freaks what they bargained for
at the age of five i didnt take no jive
with the master gee its all the way live
at the age of six i was a pickin up sticks
rappin to the beat my stick was fixed
at the age of seven i was rockin in heaven dontcha know i went off
i got right on down to the beat you see
gettin right on down makin all the girls
just take of their clothes to the beat the beat
to the double beat beat that makes you freak
at the age of eight i was really great
cause every night you see i had a date
at the age of nine i was right on time
cause every night i had a party rhyme
goin on n n on n on on n on
a sayin on n n on n on on n on...
like a hot buttered de pop de pop de pop
a saying on n n on n on on n on
cause i'm a helluva man when i'm on the mike
i am the definate feast delight
cause i'm a helluva man when i'm on the mike
i am the definate feast delight
come to the master gee you see
the brother who rocks so viciously

Holy shit, I never realized how long that song is. 14k characters, you're only allowed 10k in a single reply.

WebDudette
12-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Chris Rock knows his rap because he is black.

Immortal Technique is a pseudo-intellectual and to be honest he is pretty annoying.

NGNM85
12-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Rap music seems to be about drugs, sex, and money because you aren't paying attention to anything that's not blasting all over the radio.

Again, thats' essentially what I said. Not being an aficianado I'm only peripherally aware, only the stuff that I am confronted with in my daily travels. As I said, there could be a lot of performers like Immortal Technique, who's really great if you're not familiar, but none that I've seen.

I don't know what rap artists were popular in the 80s or 90s, but you're probably meaning to say that MAINSTREAM radio rap sucks now compared to then.

Yeah, thats' essentially what I was saying.

Also, why is Chris Rock good authority on rap music? Cause he's black?

No, because he's a lifelong aficianado of rap and hip-hop. I'm guessing he's about 40+ y/o now, that would mean he would have been exposed to the very early beginnings of rap/hip-hop, to modern rap, he's been a fan from the beginning, and observed the transitions/evolution of the genre, which affords him a certain perspective. He claims to have been a fan of rap music since he was a kid, I just accept this at face value. Regardless, he still knows more about it than I do, and, in this case, we share the same asessment, fundamentally, at least. I just remembered the quote because I like his stand-up.

NGNM85
12-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Chris Rock knows his rap because he is black.

Thats' sort of racist.

Immortal Technique is a pseudo-intellectual and to be honest he is pretty annoying.

If you don't like him, thats' fine, but he's hardly a psuedo-intellectual. If you listen to "Revolutionary Vol. 2" the man references international politics, foreign policy, economics, historical and theological events/figures, etc.; these references are not clumsy, he clearly knows what he's talking about. I don't think he'll be teaching at Cornell anytime soon, but he's a well-educated guy, from the lyrics and from interviews he's given. Like this one, for example: http://www.latinrapper.com/featurednews18.html

bighead384
12-04-2008, 11:38 PM
I don't know if I agree with everything you've said, but you're an interesting new addition to the bbs, NGNM85.

Autonomist
12-04-2008, 11:57 PM
In 24 hours from now I will be lining up to see Nas + Kanye West!

Jaytard
12-05-2008, 12:39 AM
SHITTT Dont get me started man im in love with rap

Eminem
50 cent
The Game
Dr Dre
Insane Clown Posse
Twiztid
Tony Yayo
Lloyd Banks
Anybody Killa
Blaze Ya Dead Homie
Axe Murder Boyz
Jay Z
Mike Shinoda
Boondox

fuckin TONS more xD love rap

NGNM85
12-05-2008, 12:45 AM
I don't know if I agree with everything you've said, but you're an interesting new addition to the bbs, NGNM85.

I'll take that as a compliment. Well, I'd rather be dead than boring, frankly. I have no shortage of opinions on no shortage of issues, if I stick around I'll do my best to keep things interesting.

Desperado
12-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Why does a song have to have intelligent subject matter to be good? It actually seems to be the other way around. No offense, but most rappers you describe that are like that (Immortal Technique, Papoose, Canibus, Lupe Fiasco, Nas, The GZA from Wu-Tang) are extremely pretentious and arrogant. Not to mention corny. Nothing wrong with that, but you shouldn't be surprised why people don't like it, the rappers give off bad vibes that most people can see right through.

Llamas
12-05-2008, 06:37 PM
SHITTT Dont get me started man im in love with rap

Eminem
50 cent
The Game
Dr Dre
Insane Clown Posse
Twiztid
Tony Yayo
Lloyd Banks
Anybody Killa
Blaze Ya Dead Homie
Axe Murder Boyz
Jay Z
Mike Shinoda
Boondox

fuckin TONS more xD love rap

I really wish Jay Z wasn't on that list, because I wanna laugh soooooo hard.

WebDudette
12-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Blaze ya dead homie

woop woop!

Autonomist
12-06-2008, 06:52 AM
In 24 hours from now I will be lining up to see Nas + Kanye West!

Just got back from this.

Nas was fantastic, he seemed genuinely excited to be there and managed to fit in pretty much every track I wanted to hear (apart from Ether of course) by putting them all together as medleys. He made a big thing about how it was his first time in Sydney, and got enough of a crowd response that I'm sure (or at least I hope) it won't be his last. I always knew he was going to be a whole lot better than Kanye West, but not by such an amazing margin.

Kanye was horrible, absolutely fucking horrible. Instead of playing Good Morning he opened with Welcome to Heartbreak/Paranoid, two of the more tolerable songs off that shitty new album he just put out, but both of them bombed really badly and got the show off to a slow start. Following on from them he did Through the Wire and I Wonder among some other songs I like but I just couldn't get into them, I think the bad start killed it for me. He continued into Put On (ugh), and after what seemed like a 10+ minute freestyle about fashion, the media and how anyone who doesn't appreciate his recent bout of "singing" is ignorant (I couldn't see a single person around me who didn't hate this just as much as I did, which is pretty shocking on Kanye's part considering I was on the gold floor of biggest and most expensive venue in Sydney) things seemed to pick up a bit - Flashing Lights and Homecoming were both stellar, and I thought I was finally starting to get into things a bit. Diamonds of Sierra Leone was solid, though seemed to be lacking something, but at least he was getting things right again.

Unfortunately the night didn't get any better from thereon, and Kanye even managed to do injustice to some of his classics through extending them where it wasn't needed - Touch the Sky got a reprise that was just long and unnecessary, and he made the audience sing the chorus of Good Life what seemed like an additional 20 times. All Falls Down, one of my personal favourites, suffered because of this by being cut down before he got to the killer third verse that makes me love that song so much. Admittedly none of this sounds "absolutely fucking horrible" but then came the encore - four new songs off his album back to back, including another really bad "freestyle" (can you call it that if he's not rapping?) and an extended version of Love Lockdown that was so goddamn awful it gave me a headache which I still have a couple of hours later. I had to walk out on him, and I really don't know how he could've got it all so wrong. Just a year ago I was singing Kanye's praises like his shit don't stick, now I don't think I'll ever be able to listen to even his good stuff ever again.

EDIT: I'd also like to take back anything in my previous post that implied 808's & Heartbreak is less than "fucking shit", and that person who claimed it's the 3rd best pop album ever deserves to fucking die.

coke_a_holic
12-06-2008, 11:38 AM
I just saw Lupe Fiasco at my school. He headlined over this Run-DMC sounding group called Skillz and this kind of indie-rocktronica-80s-vomit band called Hey Champ, who I couldn't really get into.

However, Lupe fucking kicked.

And pushed.

And coasted.

He played a lot of stuff off Food and Liquor and every song was, like, 50 bpm faster and a lot louder. He was just pumped to be there. The only problem was that he ended up talking a lot in between songs sometimes. Like, just talking about himself, his grammy nominations, and as long introductions to the next song. He played.. um, Kick Push, Hip Hop Saved My Life, I Gotcha, Dumb It Down, Go-Go Gadget Flow, Paris/Tokyo, Hi-Definition, Superstar, and closed with Daydreamin'.

There were dueling synthesizer solos, guitar solos played via teeth, and at the end, Lupe's shoes and shirt were tossed into the crowd.

Maybe I'll never go to another rock show again.

Llamas
12-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Paris/Tokyo

I hate that song. It might be partially because he rhymes "Brazil" and "for real"... especially since "for real" is such a stupid thing to say there. Ugh. Hate. I think the entire song just sounds so faggy to me, too. Man. My hatred is deep.

But Go Gadget Flow is awesome. So is Hip Hop Saved My Life.

coke_a_holic
12-07-2008, 12:22 AM
I like how you complain about the rhyme of Brazil with For Real, which works.

Whereas, he rhymes "fly as Ivan Jasper with "picture in my passpert," in the same song.

=|

Llamas
12-07-2008, 01:07 AM
I like how you complain about the rhyme of Brazil with For Real, which works.

Whereas, he rhymes "fly as Ivan Jasper with "picture in my passpert," in the same song.

=|

haha, I think it's a combination of the fact that he says the "for real" thing many, many times, and the fact that I really dislike the entire chorus. So my reaction that particular rhyme is heightened.

bighead384
12-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Any expectations about the upcoming movie "Notorious"?

nieh
12-27-2008, 11:41 PM
It will be exactly the same as every other biopic ever.

bighead384
12-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I'm not expecting to much either. It looks like it might be really corny. I could be wrong though.

WerGee
12-30-2008, 04:05 AM
Bloodhound Gang - Use Your Fingers

Szandi
01-02-2009, 02:07 PM
I like it: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U1ULxKM75rY&feature=channel_page

:D:D:rolleyes:

Autonomist
01-08-2009, 03:20 AM
Crack a Bottle - new leaked Eminem track ft. Dre and 50. (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTBBCasvj8)

I'm suddenly not as hopeful for Relapse as I thought I was. This one may not be horrible but it's the same uninspired shit he's been coming out with since Encore.

adombomb222
01-09-2009, 10:25 PM
"Cash rulez everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. - Get the money
Dollar dollar bill ya'll!"

RageAndLov
01-11-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm a big fan of Eminem actually
I also like older rap, like Dr. Dre, NWA, Snoop Dogg, Tupac, Jay-z.
The new mainstream rap sucks ass though.

endlesst0m
01-11-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm a big fan of Eminem actually
I also like older rap, like Dr. Dre, NWA, Snoop Dogg, Tupac, Jay-z.
The new mainstream rap sucks ass though.

Oh my god.

I can't believe how many times I've heard this opinion.