PDA

View Full Version : I think I wanna buy an el-guitar...

Stylie
08-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Hey guys and girls!

I just come over this thought about buying an el-guitar. It sure gonna cost me, but it would be damn fun. I have this acoustic guitar, but I really can't play: I can't any chords or something, I've just seen some clips on youtube and watched and learn by that. So I can some melodies, but I actually can't play reall guitar. :-/

But as said, it would be cool to have an el-guitar and learned playing. So if anyone just wanna help me, like saying something about good or bad guitars, learning-metodes or what ever, I would be thankfull. I haven't looked at any guitars or something yet, don't have a clue about price or something.

randman21
08-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Hey, man. It's time to take that step! I was playing acoustic for about three years before I bought my first electric. How long have you been playing?

Okay, I would suggest spending as much as you can (this is in general, as there are some guitars that are much better than others twice its price). If you plan on not having to buy another one soon, I'd also suggest saving up to get a better one. How much do you have to spend?

Ryder1234
08-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Best quality to price ratio = Ibanez. Seriously, if you do buy one, try to find a lower priced Ibanez, it'll still be a really good guitar. Unless you don't like thin necks, although I find them easier to learn on. If you've got an expandable budget, you might even be able to buy a RG. Mine was $435.

Also, Squier = Bad. I can't say much about Epiphone, except for the acoustic I have from them is good. And I haven't really tried other brands, but there is other good ones.

Stylie
08-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Hey, man. It's time to take that step! I was playing acoustic for about three years before I bought my first electric. How long have you been playing?

Okay, I would suggest spending as much as you can (this is in general, as there are some guitars that are much better than others twice its price). If you plan on not having to buy another one soon, I'd also suggest saving up to get a better one. How much do you have to spend?

Wow, three years. Well, I have just played half a year maybe, and can't really play. I'm just watching and learning by youtube-videos. :P

But how is it about learning on acoustic and el-guitar? Is it big differences, or is the learning, chords and stuff the same? Should I like learn to play for real on my acoustic before I buy and el-guitar? YES, I'M A NOOB AT THIS! ;)

Well, I really don't know how much it would cost. How much is it for those guitars? Cheapest to the most expencive? And yeah, I'm gonna check out a little on the internett about this, but would be great if some would give some advice.

randman21
08-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Another thing, and LISTEN, because I didn't listen when someone (from the BBS, no less) told me: Do not buy a Behringer guitar. They are moving up in their amp department, and I hear the mixers are ace for the price, but bypass their axes.

EDIT: To your last questions...to me, electric was much easier for chords and, well, pretty much everything because the strings are thinner, and the...body?...is not as wide on an electric. The cheapest I've seen was about 80 bucks (a Behringer, once again, don't go there) and the most expensive I've seen was around $5,000, but I'm sure they go higher. This is the one I have now (http://www.zzounds.com/item--SVTRK21PAK), and the one I'm saving for next (http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAJTK4).

Stylie
08-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Best quality to price ratio = Ibanez. Seriously, if you do buy one, try to find a lower priced Ibanez, it'll still be a really good guitar. Unless you don't like thin necks, although I find them easier to learn on. If you've got an expandable budget, you might even be able to buy a RG. Mine was $435.

Also, Squier = Bad. I can't say much about Epiphone, except for the acoustic I have from them is good. And I haven't really tried other brands, but there is other good ones.

Aha. Thanks. The only mark I've heard about is Ibanez, and I have just heard good things about it. $435? That would be around 2.000 norwegian "kroner". Hmm. That's expencive, isn't it? :/

And what about amp's? I must have that right? Yeah, thought so.

Another thing, and LISTEN, because I didn't listen when someone (from the BBS, no less) told me: Do not buy a Behringer guitar. They are moving up in their amp department, and I hear the mixers are ace for the price, but bypass their axes.

I'll remember that one, thanks.

randman21
08-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Just in case you missed the edit above, check it out.

Hehe, yep. You need an amp. I think the general guideline is to keep it under 50 watts, since you wouldn't be playing on stage anyway. I can't recommend any of these except the Fender Frontman 35R (or something like that), which was my first amp. Even that was too much power for me, as I never turned it up past 3. But I loved it. I wish I'd seen this (http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHGM108) when I first started. But basically, just shop around and see what you can find.

T-6005
08-30-2008, 06:24 PM
For a beginner guitar, you're going to be looking for a good quality-price ratio, I guess.

I've never personally liked Ibanez guitars because I can't seem to get any sort of tonal range out of them - they pretty much just always sound the same. Plus in price-quality there are much better beginner guitars out there.

Someone else can tell you about the cheaper Squier and/or Epiphone stuff - I never found one I liked, even as a beginner.

My first two guitars were actually Yamahas - first came the PAC112, which is a great beginner guitar. You won't spend too much if you don't end up playing a ton, but it still has the versatility and sound you need to be able to experiment a little, and the quality to not sound terrible no matter what you play (some beginner guitars just sound shit no matter what). I eventually moved up to a PAC412V, which is the same, only much better in every way imaginable.

The necks are fairly thin if you're not comfortable with rounder, thicker ones, but not so thin that you feel like you're about to snap it in half.

Once I got comfortable with guitar playing and knew I'd stick with it, I invested more funds and got myself a PRS SE Custom, which is my current guitar (I sold my previous ones), but I never regretted my choice of starting with a Yamaha. It is absolutely the first brand that comes to mind for me when recommending electric guitars to beginners.

http://www.yamaha.ca/content/guitar/products/electricguitars/PAC112J/specifications.jsp

That's a rundown of one of the PAC112 models.

Stylie
08-30-2008, 06:24 PM
EDIT: To your last questions...to me, electric was much easier for chords and, well, pretty much everything because the strings are thinner, and the...body?...is not as wide on an electric. The cheapest I've seen was about 80 bucks (a Behringer, once again, don't go there) and the most expensive I've seen was around $5,000, but I'm sure they go higher. This is the one I have now (http://www.zzounds.com/item--SVTRK21PAK), and the one I'm saving for next (http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAJTK4).

I understand. And hey, I'm a noob, but for example a "C Major" chord is the same on el- and acoustic-guitar, right? It's all the same, it's just a bit easier to learn it on el because it's thinner as you say?

Hahah, $5,000. Yeah...
Your guitar looked nice. And just $200? Is that a good price for a good guitar?

Amp. As higher watt it is, louder sound it gets, right? And how much is a normal price for that, and which is good ones? As you said, I'm not gonna play on a stage (not for now xD), but in my room which isn't that kinda big. But it's not very small, just a normall room.

I understand if you guys don't wanna answer me, 'caus I'm asking quite many noob-questions. ;)

T-6005
08-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Also, please do me a personal favor and refer to it as an electric guitar.

El-guitar sounds like some messed up Superman guitar.

http://www.rsjonline.com/band/Sudhir%20David%20Tikaram/Images/superman-guitar2.jpg

randman21
08-30-2008, 06:41 PM
^Wowie.

I understand. And hey, I'm a noob, but for example a "C Major" chord is the same on el- and acoustic-guitar, right? It's all the same, it's just a bit easier to learn it on el because it's thinner as you say?

Hahah, $5,000. Yeah...
Your guitar looked nice. And just $200? Is that a good price for a good guitar?

Amp. As higher watt it is, louder sound it gets, right? And how much is a normal price for that, and which is good ones? As you said, I'm not gonna play on a stage (not for now xD), but in my room which isn't that kinda big. But it's not very small, just a normall room.

I understand if you guys don't wanna answer me, 'caus I'm asking quite many noob-questions. ;)

Haha, it's okay. The n00b-level questions are the only ones I can answer with any confidence. :o

My guitar is actually pretty awesome for its price. And as you can see, it comes with an amp and all that. BUT I'm not 100% sure I'd recommend it because I've heard many stories about them not being made right (ie the pickups being in a 75-degree angle). If you want to test your luck, go for it. If not, I'd listen to T-6005. He knows more about guitars than I do.

You're right about wattages, for the most part: The higher the W, the louder the amp. But, for example, a 20-watter is not twice as loud as a 10-watter (100 watts = about twice as loud as 10 watts). There's more to it than that, but that's the gist of it. If I'm not wrong, I think even a 1 watt amp could fill up a mid-sized room. I wouldn't recommend that, though.;)

Ryder1234
08-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Aha. Thanks. The only mark I've heard about is Ibanez, and I have just heard good things about it. $435? That would be around 2.000 norwegian "kroner". Hmm. That's expencive, isn't it? :/

Well, it's a bit of money, but for another guitar of that quality it'll be 500+
Mine: http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG350EX

I also have an upgrade pickup in the bridge though. DiMarzio Super Distortion.

Rooster
08-31-2008, 02:22 AM
Don't worry, i played an acoustic guitar (if that could be called playing - i'm left handed, but i didn't change string positions, so i played in reversed string position, plus one string was broken :D. I had to learn everythinh all over again when i bought an electric guitar) for about 4 months before i bought my first electric guitar. My first one was a left handed squier strat that i bought from my schoolmate, but now i have a Jackson for about a year (you know this allready :p). I'm sure that Jackson also has good quality-price ratio (that's why i bought one), although i'm not sure for basic models - mine is pro version, but was cheap for it's quality. I wouldn't know about Ibanez, but i hear only good things about them also. Just think a bit of which guitar you want to buy - beginner guitars are cheap, but it's much easier to play (and easier to learn on) a guitar that costs 400 or 500 or more, because it's more quality made. The difference between a 150 Squier and 600 Jackson is like you would compare a monocycle with a bentley.

Just buy an electric guitar, you won't regret :)

randman21
08-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Alright! I've done a bit of research, and I've stumbled across Xaviere (http://store.guitarfetish.com/xaviereguitars.html) guitars. I don't want to endorse something I haven't tried, but I've been searching all day, and I have not seen a single bad review. Even pro-level guitarists are raving. Look it up on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=xaviere+guitar&search_type=&aq=0&oq=xaviere). The reasons I thought it would be of interest to you are the price, quality, and the fact that they ship worldwide. They all hover around $200 (most are less). I've already dealt with this company when buying guitar parts, so I know they don't play when it comes to quality and customer service. I definitely will bypass that Jet King and get one of these.

Static_Martyr
08-31-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm not *too* familiar with guitar makes and models (I've been playing the same Yamaha RGX-110 electric guitar since I got it for Christmas three years ago, used for $80), but as far as learning goes, I'd agree with whoever said a thinner neck is good for learning. I started with electric and moved to acoustic, and since my acoustic has a bigger neck, I find it harder to transition back and forth (I'm used to playing on a small neck). Although, it really doesn't matter which one you start with, as long as (a) you pick one that fits the size of your hand, not too small or too big, and (b) you don't do a lot of jumping back and forth. But again, some can play both easily. So it really just comes down to personal preference/style.

And yes, the chords are the same on either guitar, as long as they're tuned the same. They're played basically the same, although I find it harder to bend acoustic strings than electric ones, even at the lighter gauges. As such, I tend to go electric, because bends are an inextricable part of my playing :)

As far as amps go, I have a 40-watt Marshall practice amp that I use for recording, and it works just fine. I'd recommend getting a newer one (or a used one that you know works well), because the one I bought was used (for $15), and it has a wiggy jack on it that makes the signal cut in and out if the amp gets moved around. But yeah, 10-40 watts should be plenty if you're just practicing. You don't usually get up in the hundreds unless you're playing on a stage in a noisy club, as I believe somebody else said.

medi01
09-01-2008, 03:21 AM
If you wanna just have one electric i suggest u save up for a while, learn more and buy an ace guitar.

If you really want an electric now i'd suggest gettin something cheaper, coz then u can see how it goes and see what you like and then maybe buy another one.

Also before buying i recommend checking out this site: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/
It has reviews buy many people who will have used the guitar and many others, and so will no exactly what its like compared to others (eg the sound quality, the finish, the cost etc) and how it lasts in the long term, which you wont get from other places

also ultimate-guitar.com has something like this, as well as being an awesome tab website:p, but its probably not quite as good

Stylie
09-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Hey guys, I'm just a little busy at the time, that's why I'm not replying. But I still really want an electric guitar, so I'm gonna reply in this thread later. Thanks for all posts!

Stylie
09-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Okey, I just found out that it's too much to quote everything, but I have read everyones reply. :D

Amps! A 30 watt should be perfect, then? As said before, I'm gonna have it on my room so I don't need a 100 watt amp. The guy in the music store here told me that the Vox amp he got there was really good. I think it was a 30 watt. Anyone have any opinion about that, or maybe what's good and bad amps? ^^

Now about elctric guitars. As T-6005 said, good quality-price ratio sounded nice. I want a good guitar, but don't wanna spend like $800. But on the other side, I would rather pay about $500 for a good guitar and play on that in a long time, than maybe buy two cheaper guitars which is pretty bad.

The music store here recommended Morgan guitars, anyone heard of that? But he said he could order any guitars too, like Ibanez. I haven't searched too much on the internett, but I just got this feeling that Ibanez is very good guitars and have a good price? Though, it's many other guitars, so I'm not sure on which guitars I would like to buy.

Every guitar has it own unique sound, right? So I'm just wondering... I'm gonna play a lot of The Offspring, but also some other cool stuff. Generally rock. So is it guitars made for generally blues, country, rock and stuff?

Aaand, I could shop from the internett (that would probably be cheaper, 'caus it's cheaper in the US than here in Norway) but it would be a bit safer to buy from this music store where I live, right? I haven't got a clue about electric guitars, and they would absolutely help me. And medi01, thanks, gonna check out the site!

FellDrake
09-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Just my 2 cents:

For the beginning I'd highly recommend getting a Roland Micro Cube amp. It's one of the best amps you can get in that price-segment. It sounds good for its size and is fully portable, but don't expect too much from it. It may be one of the best practice-amps, but it still is only a practice amp.

Maybe you want to consider getting no amp at all, but using a PC-based solution like the Toneport GX from Line6. Doesn't hold up to an amp sound-wise, but is easy to use, tons of sounds and effects and can be played at any volume without sounding bad.

Guitar: I'd also recommend Ibanez-Instruments. There's nothing better out there regarding price-performance ratio.
But you really should get to the next bigger music store and try every guitar in your price-range. You know a bit how to play it, so you should notice when a guitar does or doesn't feel right.
Take the one that fits you best, don't waste too much thought on things like pick-ups etc. - you won't notice the differences until you played for some months/years.
When you buy one don't forget to tell the salesman to set it up for you (string-height, intonation etc.) he should do that without further cost for a new customer.

Stylie
09-06-2008, 10:18 AM
For the beginning I'd highly recommend getting a Roland Micro Cube amp. It's one of the best amps you can get in that price-segment. It sounds good for its size and is fully portable, but don't expect too much from it. It may be one of the best practice-amps, but it still is only a practice amp.

Maybe you want to consider getting no amp at all, but using a PC-based solution like the Toneport GX from Line6. Doesn't hold up to an amp sound-wise, but is easy to use, tons of sounds and effects and can be played at any volume without sounding bad.

Guitar: I'd also recommend Ibanez-Instruments. There's nothing better out there regarding price-performance ratio.
But you really should get to the next bigger music store and try every guitar in your price-range. You know a bit how to play it, so you should notice when a guitar does or doesn't feel right.
Take the one that fits you best, don't waste too much thought on things like pick-ups etc. - you won't notice the differences until you played for some months/years.
When you buy one don't forget to tell the salesman to set it up for you (string-height, intonation etc.) he should do that without further cost for a new customer.

Okey, thanks. Yeah, I guess they also had Roland amps in the store. I'll keep that in mind.
Well, I've never heard of that PC-thing, so I think I'll stick to the original amp. Or?

It's just one little music store here where I live, and I actually don't think they have Ibanez there. But they can order it, and the guy I talked to also thought Ibanez was good guitars. They're also gonna make some guitar-packages soon, so I think I'll wait 'till then and see.

And can you just explain setting-up-the-guitar a bit more? :o

FellDrake
09-06-2008, 11:22 AM
And can you just explain setting-up-the-guitar a bit more? :o
Well guitars are not always perfectly set up when they leave the factory. It's necessary to adjust intonation so that every fret sounds the way it's supposed to and string-height to be able to play comfortably (depends on your preferation).
Also, if you buy a guitar with tremolo-system, you should ensure that it's correctly adjusted since that will be kind of difficult for someone without experience.

T-6005
09-06-2008, 11:38 AM
I agree with FellDrake, it's much better to get your guitar at the store. There is absolutely no substitute for getting the feel of your first guitar before you buy it. Buying online is not a good idea at all.

zsk
09-07-2008, 04:34 AM
Hey guys and girls!

I just come over this thought about buying an el-guitar. It sure gonna cost me, but it would be damn fun. I have this acoustic guitar, but I really can't play: I can't any chords or something, I've just seen some clips on youtube and watched and learn by that. So I can some melodies, but I actually can't play reall guitar. :-/

But as said, it would be cool to have an el-guitar and learned playing. So if anyone just wanna help me, like saying something about good or bad guitars, learning-metodes or what ever, I would be thankfull. I haven't looked at any guitars or something yet, don't have a clue about price or something.

take first some acoustic lessons,then you should buy a good equipment
i would like to approve you to buy an ibanez grg 170dx guitar and a marshall mg30dfx

don't make the mistake to buy some cheezy guitars,i did this mistake
the guitar costs 220euro and the amp 250euro,but this is a real good combination
IBANEZ grg170 DX
http://www.alalimsatalim.com/fotos/1_159466ibanez-grg170dx.jpg

Marshall mg30DFX
http://www.audio-electric-shop.de/shop/catalog/images/Marshall-MG30DFX.jpg

FellDrake
09-07-2008, 04:55 AM
Marshall mg30DFX
I can't support that. The MG30 is not a good amp at all. It's just Marshall's try on getting a hold in the lower-price segment.
You pay way too much just for the Marshall-Logo on it and the sound isn't really good. Also 30W is clearly overpowered just for home-use and not enough to play in a band.
I know dozens of guitarists who went like "oh it's a Marshall, that must be a good amp!" and every single one of them regretted buying it after some time.

Rooster
09-07-2008, 05:33 AM
Yeah, i agree that it's better to buy a guitar in a store than ordering it from the internet. I still don't regret ordering my Jackson that way, it's the best buy i've ever made. I didn't have much trouble setting it up, it only needed some slight neck adjusting. I didn't have much problem with tremolo either, i just had to tune guitar (i have it tuned in standard tuning), and when i did the tremolo just positioned itself perfectly. Jackson rocks.

Stylie
09-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Well guitars are not always perfectly set up when they leave the factory. It's necessary to adjust intonation so that every fret sounds the way it's supposed to and string-height to be able to play comfortably (depends on your preferation).
Also, if you buy a guitar with tremolo-system, you should ensure that it's correctly adjusted since that will be kind of difficult for someone without experience.

I understand. Thanks again!
...oh, well, I don't know what tremolo-system is.

Yup, I think it's better to buy from the music store here too. It's better in all ways (though it's a bit more expencive first, but if something goes wrong I can get help there).

zsk: Yep, and you know that I think that guitar looks good too, hehe.
Well, 220 euro is a good price, isn't it? It's a bit more expencive if I'm gonna buy it in Norway, but that's the same with all guitars, so.

Ibanez, Fender, Epiphone and Gibson is the most well-known guitars, am I right? Hmmm.
I just wanna repeat this questions: "Every guitar has it own unique sound, right? So I'm just wondering... I'm gonna play a lot of The Offspring, but also some other cool stuff. Generally rock. So is it guitars made for generally blues, country, rock and stuff?"

Now about that amp. Well, I keep that in mind too. I also wanna repeat this question: "The guy in the music store here told me that the Vox amp he got there was really good. I think it was a 30 watt. Anyone have any opinion about that, or maybe what's good and bad amps?"

Stylie
09-09-2008, 02:01 PM
So, I checked out the music store again, and guess what. They had actually ordered some Ibanez guitars that I've looked on on the internett. :D

I've been thinking a bit, and those Ibanezes from $400 'till about $700 (RG, RGR and stuff) looks really nice, just heard good about it. As I said, I don't want to pay about $700 for a guitar, but it looks like I must do that if I'm gonna buy an Ibanez from the music store here. They have ordered some Ibanez RG guitars, RGR, one SA-model and a few more. The cheapest costs 3.500 norwegian kroner, which is about $700. But remember, it's a bit more expencive to buy here in Norway than in the US unfortunately. An example: the cheap Ibanez GRG 170DX cost generally here in Norway 2500 norwegian kroner (=$440), and in the US you can get it for about $250. So it's big differences, but it is safer and better to buy from this music store too, so I guess it's worth the money. :)

I mean they had ordered 6 different Ibanezes, which was some RG-models, an RGR-model, an SA-model and some others. So I'm just wondering if anyone here knows much about those Ibanez guitars - what's the differences?

I don't remember the exact models... but what's the differences between RG-models, RGR, GRG and those? Is GRG the "little brother" (and cheaper) to the RG-model for example? Please, if anyone know something about this, please tell me. Thanks!

And FellDrake. They got an Roland Cube 30watts (http://www.myhrbraaten.no/product_info.php?cPath=11_105&products_id=979) in the store now, which the guy showed me. Costs 2300 norwegian kroner ($400, probably cheaper again in the US). That was a really good amp, but they also got this VOX amp. It got a little bit cleaner sound or something, and was a little bit more expencive. But I think I'm gonna go for the Roland Cube. But you recommended the Roland MICRO Cube, right (http://www.myhrbraaten.no/product_info.php?cPath=11_105&products_id=223)? I figured out that those two were two different amps, the micro cube is a little bit cheaper, am I right? But I guess the a bit more expencive Roland Cube is a bit better then? Sorry for many questions, I'm just wondering. :o

randman21
09-09-2008, 02:46 PM
About Ibanez, I've never played one, but I know that both Dexter and Noodles use them, if you're looking for that Offspring sound. Noodles has his signature model, and I have no idea what Dexter plays. I'm sure you can find the differences between the RG, GRG, and SA by googling them.

As far as I know, Vox is a good company for amps. But, basically, as medi01 says, I'd check that site with the user reviews. I've been using it for a while now, and I never make a purchase without it (although the choice is really up to you, so don't take the reviews TOO seriously).

I'm not sure about the pros and cons of buying online vs in a store, but what I do is find something I like on the internet, go to a music store to see if I can try it out, then go back and order it online, as it's usually cheaper. But for you, the shipping of the online order might be the same as if you bought it in your town.

And if I were to choose between the Cube and Micro Cube, I'd go with Micro, just because it serves its purpose for cheaper than the Cube.

come out swinging
09-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Buy an Ibanez guitar. RG serious is good also GRG, GXR. Ibanez necks are thin which helps a lot when playing. the different pick ups and the bridge will be a cost factor. Try to find a used guitar store. There is one store around where i live that sells a lot of name brands and the prices are descent. But to bad they dont have one where you live.

Heres a link to my guitar store that has prices and a lot of good shit.

http://www.daddys.com/used/?department=5

lost_nvrfound
09-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Ibanez is too popular on these boards.

I can't stand Fender in general. They are too twangy and don't play how I would want them

I'm a big advocator for Godin. They are waay too underrated for their guitars. The best guitars I've ever played were Godin. My electric is a Godin Radiator. They're also cheaper than a lot of guitars, even Ibanez, mostly because they don't have as established a reputation as the likes of Fender, Ibanez, and Gibson.

Epiphone also has some pretty decent axes. My dad has an SG copy Epiphone. I now have the pickups from it because he upgraded to Demarzio. But the stock pickups are pretty good as well.

You can get a practice amp for cheap too. It doesn't need to be much of anything for just learning on.

Also, playing an acoustic is tougher than playing an electric. But, the benefit of that is that when you learn to play a song well on an acoustic guitar, you can really beast it out on an electric because its easier to play.

Ryder1234
09-09-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm a big advocator for Godin. They are waay too underrated for their guitars. The best guitars I've ever played were Godin. My electric is a Godin Radiator. They're also cheaper than a lot of guitars, even Ibanez, mostly because they don't have as established a reputation as the likes of Fender, Ibanez, and Gibson.

Godin's are nice but they cost like 800+ here. WTF?

lost_nvrfound
09-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Godin's are nice but they cost like 800+ here. WTF?

Really? Mine was $400 and it was a discontinued model.

EDIT: Yeah, the Radiators are $400. I like mine better than the one they have on Musiciansfriend.com. Mine is prettier.

Ryder1234
09-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Weird. My RG was $435.

lost_nvrfound
09-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Truly. I love my guitar.

Ryder1234
09-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah, me too.

come out swinging
09-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Ibanez is too popular on these boards.

Also, playing an acoustic is tougher than playing an electric. But, the benefit of that is that when you learn to play a song well on an acoustic guitar, you can really beast it out on an electric because its easier to play.

Ibanez guitar rocks. They produce a lot sound that people like. Ya playing acoustic is harder than electric.Mostly because of the thick necks and acoustic strings. I did not want to learn acoustic at all when i first starting playing way back then. But now i enjoy i playing it even tho i just got my acoustic 1 month ago. I still prefer to bang out a song on electric. I put it this way if its an acoustic song, then i play it on acoustic and vice versa for electric.

lost_nvrfound
09-09-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm a big fan of acoustic. Funnily enough, my acoustic is an Ibanez. I got for $100. It was the cheapest acoustic they carried in my area. Its nice for such a cheap guitar though. Its got great resonance.

Ryder1234
09-09-2008, 09:07 PM
My Acoustic is an Epiphone.

come out swinging
09-09-2008, 09:08 PM
I can even pronounce my acoustic. It is old and from Italy and it original had nylon strings on it. I took them off cuz i did not like them. That reminds me i post a pic of it on the instrument pic thread.

lost_nvrfound
09-09-2008, 09:40 PM
I can even pronounce my acoustic. It is old and from Italy and it original had nylon strings on it. I took them off cuz i did not like them. That reminds me i post a pic of it on the instrument pic thread.

If it started with nylon strings, its probably not best to put metal strings on it... you could snap the neck if you aren't careful

Ryder1234
09-09-2008, 09:45 PM
If it started with nylon strings, its probably not best to put metal strings on it... you could snap the neck if you aren't careful

Yeah I was just about to say that... Acoustics are specially made for a string type, so using a different type could fuck it up.

Well, once I used an acoustic string on an electric. :o

come out swinging
09-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Only the High E, B,G had nylon strings on it. Oh well.

Ryder1234
09-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Only the High E, B,G had nylon strings on it. Oh well.

The copper on the strings is wound around a nylon string, so really they're all nylon.

lost_nvrfound
09-09-2008, 11:17 PM
The copper on the strings is wound around a nylon string, so really they're all nylon.

Yeah, what he said.

Acoustics by nature are incredibly delicate as far as guitars are concerned. You need to be careful. The added stress from the metal strings could collapse the neck.

randman21
09-10-2008, 02:49 AM
One problem I had when I first started electric (after playing acoustic for three years) was pressing the strings too hard, making everything super out of tune. The tuning was already terrible on it. It only took a few days to correct, though.

Stylie
09-10-2008, 11:30 AM
As far as I know, Vox is a good company for amps. But, basically, as medi01 says, I'd check that site with the user reviews....

I'm not sure about the pros and cons of buying online vs in a store, but what I do is find something I like on the internet, go to a music store to see if I can try it out, then go back and order it online, as it's usually cheaper. But for you, the shipping of the online order might be the same as if you bought it in your town.

And if I were to choose between the Cube and Micro Cube, I'd go with Micro, just because it serves its purpose for cheaper than the Cube.

Yeah, that Vox 30watt is probably very good. But that is the Roland Cube too, and it's a little bit cheaper, so I think I'm gonna go for that. I can ask about the Micro cube, but they probably don't have that, so. :)

Yeah, but I'm gonna buy from the store here anyway. It's gonna be more expencive (in the beginning), but hey, if I get any problems I just get them to fix it. It's for example more difficult to send something back to the USA if something goes wrong, heheh.

Buy an Ibanez guitar. RG serious is good also GRG, GXR. Ibanez necks are thin which helps a lot when playing. the different pick ups and the bridge will be a cost factor. Try to find a used guitar store. There is one store around where i live that sells a lot of name brands and the prices are descent. But to bad they dont have one where you live.

Yeah, I live in a small place, and we have just this little music store here. So I'm 99% sure I'm gonna buy a new one, and that's the best too, especially this first time.

lost_nvrfound: Huh, never heard of that Godin before. Probably a good guitar, but I'm gonna go for the Ibanez. Because I like the look, the store here just ordered some, and I have just heard good about it. And yeah, sure I can get cheaper amps than the Roland Cube again, but I'm pretty sure it's worth the price, don't you think? :)

Well, once I used an acoustic string on an electric. :o

HAHAH! How did it go/sound?

randman21
09-10-2008, 06:51 PM
^Haha, yeah. I meant to ask that, too. I'd thought about doing it, but I hate changing strings to much to experiment with it.

come out swinging
09-10-2008, 09:01 PM
D'Addario makes good acoustic and electric strings. When i buy a single string, the wrapper says that it can be used for both electric and acoustic and that is by D'Addario. The main difference is that pressure on you fret hand on the string.

lost_nvrfound
09-10-2008, 09:11 PM
D'Addario makes good acoustic and electric strings. When i buy a single string, the wrapper says that it can be used for both electric and acoustic and that is by D'Addario. The main difference is that pressure on you fret hand on the string.

hmm... thats odd. I use D'Addario strings. Aren't the electric ones nickel or nikel plated, and the acoustic strings are bronze or steel?

i'm not a fan of steel strings.

come out swinging
09-10-2008, 09:30 PM
When i do buy a single string its a .10 for a high e. I have Ernie Ball on my electric and i like it.

lost_nvrfound
09-10-2008, 10:03 PM
When i do buy a single string its a .10 for a high e. I have Ernie Ball on my electric and i like it.

I tried ernie ball. I didn't really like the sizing configuration. I used to be really bad about breaking the G string (hehe). Is it possible that your bridge is out of alignment? That was the problem with mine, and is not uncommon at all.

Ryder1234
09-10-2008, 11:14 PM
HAHAH! How did it go/sound?

Well actually, I couldn't detect a problem with the sound. The problem was I needed a high E, and I didn't even use the corresponding acoustic string. It broke after 5 minutes. :p

I use D'Addario's, and I get Super Low gauge Nikel round wound's. I think it's like Low E - 0.49 to high E - 0.09

Is it possible that your bridge is out of alignment? That was the problem with mine, and is not uncommon at all.

That's most likely what it is. My RG looked good, but when I got my DiMarzio installed I told them to adjust everything. It came back with the bridge way down on one side. They hadn't fucked up, that's actually how it's supposed to be.

come out swinging
09-11-2008, 05:45 PM
I use D'Addario's, and I get Super Low gauge Nikel round wound's. I think it's like Low E - 0.49 to high E - 0.09 .

It goes like this for my Ernie Ball regular slinky. Custom gauge Nickel wound strings. BTW the words are an easier way to remember the strings.
Every .10
banana .13
gets .17
dinner .26
at .36
eight .46

Nemanja
09-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Hello! I have made a little presentation for helping young people to choose the guitar....so...:)

http://rapidshare.com/files/144542840/Presentation1.pps.html

:):):)

randman21
09-11-2008, 08:50 PM
You came with the goods! Nice first post :D

FellDrake
09-12-2008, 03:12 AM
And FellDrake. They got an Roland Cube 30watts (http://www.myhrbraaten.no/product_info.php?cPath=11_105&products_id=979) in the store now, which the guy showed me. Costs 2300 norwegian kroner ($400, probably cheaper again in the US). That was a really good amp, but they also got this VOX amp. It got a little bit cleaner sound or something, and was a little bit more expencive. But I think I'm gonna go for the Roland Cube. But you recommended the Roland MICRO Cube, right (http://www.myhrbraaten.no/product_info.php?cPath=11_105&products_id=223)? I figured out that those two were two different amps, the micro cube is a little bit cheaper, am I right? But I guess the a bit more expencive Roland Cube is a bit better then? Sorry for many questions, I'm just wondering. :o
Sorry for the late response, but I've been AFK some days.
Well in general the amps differ in how many watts they have. Cube 15=15 Watts, Cube 30=30 Watts and so on.
I don't think they differ in many other aspects.
But the prices are very over the edge... A cube 30 is about 220 here in Germany.
The point is: You should get a relatively small amp for the beginning, which is perfectly fine at no more than 5 Watts. That would be the Microcube for about 100.
400$ is a lot more budget than I thought of, so if you are willing to spend that much, I'd have to look if I could recommend other amps in that price-range...

Stylie
09-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Sorry for the late response, but I've been AFK some days.
Well in general the amps differ in how many watts they have. Cube 15=15 Watts, Cube 30=30 Watts and so on.
I don't think they differ in many other aspects.
But the prices are very over the edge... A cube 30 is about 220€ here in Germany.
The point is: You should get a relatively small amp for the beginning, which is perfectly fine at no more than 5 Watts. That would be the Microcube for about 100€.
400$ is a lot more budget than I thought of, so if you are willing to spend that much, I'd have to look if I could recommend other amps in that price-range...

Oh yeah, I saw now that the Cube 30 costs twice as much as the Micro Cube. But yeah, Norway is excpencive. That is actually the price for that amp here. I didn't think that I was going to buy a guitar for about $600 neither, but that was the cheapest Ibanez they had ordered in. Norway is a lot more expencive then the USA and stuff, but in generall it is better to buy from here. If I get problems, they can fix it, 'caus it would be more expencive to send it back to the USA if I got any problems. I'm bnot dumb, it's just very expencive her. Sad... :/

So the Micro Cube is only 5 watts? But I'm thinking, isn't it best to buy a great guitar and a great amp and have that in many years? It doesn't get destroyed or something, it's gonna hold for many, many years, right?
I'm just thinking that if I'm gonna buy this Micro Cube now, I have to buy a better one in about a year because then I can play really well. Isn't it better to just buy a good one? It is gonna hold in MANY years? Hope you understand, thanks!

FellDrake
09-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Thats the point... if you only wanted to spend around 100 bucks, the Microcube would be the best way to go. But if you want to buy something that'll sustain you for some years, you probably should buy a better amp.
The question always is "Will you keep on playing?" If you buy equipment for 1000 bucks and quit playing after half a year, that'd be a terrible waste.
If you're certain you'll stick to it, let us know what your budget ist for that amp and we can suggest some models :)

T-6005
09-12-2008, 10:45 AM
If it helps, I play a shitty little 8-watt amp.

Not all of the sound is in the amp. I'd rather trust a nice guitar, decent pedal and a shitty amp, than any other combination of the above.

Stylie
09-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Thats the point... if you only wanted to spend around 100 bucks, the Microcube would be the best way to go. But if you want to buy something that'll sustain you for some years, you probably should buy a better amp.
The question always is "Will you keep on playing?" If you buy equipment for 1000 bucks and quit playing after half a year, that'd be a terrible waste.
If you're certain you'll stick to it, let us know what your budget ist for that amp and we can suggest some models :)

Mhm, I understand. But I'm 97% sure that I'm gonna keep on playing. It's fun to play on my acoustic, and it will be even better with electric. Music is great, and The Offspring have strengthen my music interest.

So it would be better to just spend a bit more money and buy a good guitar and amp. And yup, I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna stick to it. :)

Thanks, you're too kind, hehe.

I'm gonna go to the store again monday, and probably try those Ibanezes (omg!). I'm probably gonna buy the cheapest one, and I would get a nice package-price by buying all of it together. Still, it sure gonna be expencive. :-/
I'm not sure if I'm gonna buy it right then, I don't think so. But yeah, I'm gonna keep you guys updated. Thanks for the help, and If anyone others will come up with some info or recommends: thanks.

If it helps, I play a shitty little 8-watt amp.

Not all of the sound is in the amp. I'd rather trust a nice guitar, decent pedal and a shitty amp, than any other combination of the above.

Hehe! Well, yeah, the Ibanez guitars that they have ordered in there is probably very good. But I still don't want a shitty amp, if you see.

Rooster
09-13-2008, 01:41 PM
I think it's better to buy a good guitar if you really have the wish and desire to play. That's what i did, and i haven't regret buying my jackson, not even for a second.

Stylie
09-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Hah. I just compared the price in Norway and USA for the guitar Ibanez RG350DX, and it's almost twice as much for it in Norway. So, there you see, Norway is much more expencive that way.

Well, anyway! TOMORROW I'm gonna go to the store again. I'm probably gonna try those Ibanezes that they had ordered, and maybe I'm gonna buy too. So, as I said before; they had ordered some Ibanez guitars - RG-models, RGR, SA and a few more. The cheapest one costs 3500 kr ($600). I'm most likely gonna buy the cheapest one, or one of the others. So does anyone want so say something more, about those models for example? No?

And amp. As said before, they got this Roland 30watts amp there. And FellDrake, I'm sure that I'm gonna play a lot, so I don't think I need the cube then (if I'm unsure). That was a really good amp, but they also got this Vox 30watts. That was a little bit more expencive. They also got Vox 15watts. which was a little bit cheaper than the Roland again. Don't exactly sure which one of them I'm gonna take, but we'll see. For example; is it big difference between a 15- and 30watts amp (if I'm gonna take the Vox15 instead of the Roland/Vox 30)?

So that's it. And yeah, I'm gonna buy from this store here, though it's a bit more expencive. It's much more safer. :) So if anyone wants to come up with something, they must do it NOW. Thanks for helping!

Stylie
09-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Then it's done! I bought a black Ibanez RG 321MH (http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page2008.php?data_id=1253&color=CL02&area_id=3&year=2008&cat_id=1&series_id=53) (that was also his favourite guitar of those Ibanezes that they had got in there, recommended it), and a Vox 15watts amp. The choice was between a Roland Cube 30, Vox 30 and Vox 15. The Roland 30 was a bit cheaper than the Vox 30, both good, and the Vox 15 was a little bit cheaper than the Roland. He recommended the Vox' because of it sound and blabla, though the Roland also was good. So since the Vox had a great sound, many futures, and was a little bit cheaper than the Roland, it bought that one. And it's not that big difference from a 15watt and 30watt. I tried it now, and YEAH, it sounds GOOD! I just have it on 1/4 of the volume now, hah. Great, really great!

The price was actually pretty good, 'caus he cut of much. I got a guitar bag, guitar strop, guitar stand, tuner and some other stuff included in the price. So I'm very happy. Really good guitar and amp. :D

Rooster
09-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Then it's done! I bought a black Ibanez RG 321MH (http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page2008.php?data_id=1253&color=CL02&area_id=3&year=2008&cat_id=1&series_id=53) (that was also his favourite guitar of those Ibanezes that they had got in there, recommended it), and a Vox 15watts amp. The choice was between a Roland Cube 30, Vox 30 and Vox 15. The Roland 30 was a bit cheaper than the Vox 30, both good, and the Vox 15 was a little bit cheaper than the Roland. He recommended the Vox' because of it sound and blabla, though the Roland also was good. So since the Vox had a great sound, many futures, and was a little bit cheaper than the Roland, it bought that one. And it's not that big difference from a 15watt and 30watt. I tried it now, and YEAH, it sounds GOOD! I just have it on 1/4 of the volume now, hah. Great, really great!

The price was actually pretty good, 'caus he cut of much. I got a guitar bag, guitar strop, guitar stand, tuner and some other stuff included in the price. So I'm very happy. Really good guitar and amp. :D

Congratulations! Now start rocking out :D!!!

Stylie
09-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Congratulations! Now start rocking out :D!!!

Thanks! Oh yes, be sure! :D

randman21
09-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Congratulations, dude! Looks like you made a damn good choice. Better than my first guitar (and in fact the one I have now:D), though my first amp was a little monster. The pickups look nice and powerful, similar to (if not the same as) the ones Noodles signature guitar. Soooo how much did it all cost?

Ryder1234
09-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Nice! I was actually gonna get a RG321 when I was looking last year, it was Green Nickel (color was discontinued, I think), but when I came back it was gone so I got the RG350EX (This (http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page2008.php?area_id=3&data_id=1241&color=CL01&year=2008&cat_id=1&series_id=51) is mine). Same pickups as mine, too!. Except I swapped out the bridge for a DiMarzio Super Distortion. I don't think you'll regret it.

Stylie
09-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Congratulations, dude! Looks like you made a damn good choice. Better than my first guitar (and in fact the one I have now:D), though my first amp was a little monster. The pickups look nice and powerful, similar to (if not the same as) the ones Noodles signature guitar. Soooo how much did it all cost?

Thank you! Yep, I don't think I'm gonna regret. Well, I don't know to much about pickups and stuff, but it's a really nice guitar. :)

As you know, it's much more expencive here in Norway than in the US (as I've said before), so you can't compare it like that. But the price was nice. The guitar cost 3495kr ($599,67), the amp 2195kr ($376.62), and the totall of the guitar stand, rockbag, cabel, tuner, strap 1375kr ($235.92) = 7065kr ($1212.21), but he cut of 1665kr ($285.68) so the finall price was 5400kr ($926.53). :D

It may sound heavy to you guys, but it's a pretty good price here in Norway. The guitar and amp is a little bit cheaper on some norwegian webshops, but it got cheaper to buy from this store here because he cut off that much from the price. Very happy, and the guitar and amp sounds great! :D

Nice! I was actually gonna get a RG321 when I was looking last year, it was Green Nickel (color was discontinued, I think), but when I came back it was gone so I got the RG350EX (This (http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page2008.php?area_id=3&data_id=1241&color=CL01&year=2008&cat_id=1&series_id=51) is mine). Same pickups as mine, too!. Except I swapped out the bridge for a DiMarzio Super Distortion. I don't think you'll regret it.

Cool, hehe! Your guitar is a little bit more expencive, maybe?

Rooster
09-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Thank you! Yep, I don't think I'm gonna regret. Well, I don't know to much about pickups and stuff, but it's a really nice guitar. :)

As you know, it's much more expencive here in Norway than in the US (as I've said before), so you can't compare it like that. But the price was nice. The guitar cost 3495kr ($599,67), the amp 2195kr ($376.62), and the totall of the guitar stand, rockbag, cabel, tuner, strap 1375kr ($235.92) = 7065kr ($1212.21), but he cut of 1665kr ($285.68) so the finall price was 5400kr ($926.53). :D

It may sound heavy to you guys, but it's a pretty good price here in Norway. The guitar and amp is a little bit cheaper on some norwegian webshops, but it got cheaper to buy from this store here because he cut off that much from the price. Very happy, and the guitar and amp sounds great! :D

I think you made a good buy. I read a review about your guitar model, and it was very positive, sounds like your guitar has good sound and equipment for the price. I hope you'll enjoy playing (i know you will :D).

Ryder1234
09-17-2008, 04:57 PM

Yeah, I think yours is like $325 here, and mine was $435. It's basically the same guitar, except mine has the Edge III trem, and various other little tweaks that boosted the price. And also there's the extra $85 for the pickup I bought, and installation costs.

randman21
09-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Whoa, the price does seem out of this world, but I guess I understand.:D

Ryder1234
09-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Lol, that is an amazing price for the quality. To get anything as good from Fender/Gibson or any other American company, you be paying around 600 or more.

Stylie
09-18-2008, 01:35 PM
I think you made a good buy. I read a review about your guitar model, and it was very positive, sounds like your guitar has good sound and equipment for the price. I hope you'll enjoy playing (i know you will :D).

Nice to hear. Yep, was just checking very fast through reviews of Ibanez RG-models and those amp's that he had, and it all seemed very positive. And thank you, this is gonna be great! ^^

Whoa, the price does seem out of this world, but I guess I understand.:D

Yeah, I understand it for you guys, but if you lived here you would absolutely understand. Though, good you understand. ^^

It's very expencive here in Norway. You know, I ordered RAFRAG, remastered Smash and Ignition, and Greatest Hits from amazon in the US, because it was MUCH cheaper there. RAFRAG on amazon now costs $11.99, and here in Norway it costs around $25.57. If I was going to buty all those CDs here in Norway, it would get twice as much if not more. I calculated it then, but I don't remember it now.

But it's not clever to buy a guitar from the net from USA, especially when it's my first and I don't have to much knowledge about it. But to buy some CD's from the US is absolutely alright. See? ;)

Lol, that is an amazing price for the quality. To get anything as good from Fender/Gibson or any other American company, you be paying around 600 or more.

Huh? I guess I just didn't understand that sentece. Explaine? :)

Ryder1234
09-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Huh? I guess I just didn't understand that sentece. Explaine? :)

Well, you know what price:quality ratio means, right? It means, the price you pay for how good it is. I can say that on average, Ibanez RGs, Fender Strats and Teles, and Gibson Les Pauls and SGs are about the same quality. But for an Ibanez, you only pay about $400, compared to the Fenders and the Gibsons, which would be around $650 or more.

Basically, you get the quality of a really good guitar for a low price :)

Stylie
09-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Well, you know what price:quality ratio means, right? It means, the price you pay for how good it is. I can say that on average, Ibanez RGs, Fender Strats and Teles, and Gibson Les Pauls and SGs are about the same quality. But for an Ibanez, you only pay about $400, compared to the Fenders and the Gibsons, which would be around $650 or more.

Yeah, understand. :)
It was some Fender's and stuff there too, but they were more expencive again.

Ryder1234
09-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I don't like Fenders. The necks seem like logs after you play an Ibanez.

Stylie
09-19-2008, 05:43 PM

Ah, thanks, that's nice to hear. Heheh!
They had some other guitars there too. Actually pretty many to be such a small store.

I've played a bit more on the guitar now, and it is really great. Both guitar and amp. :)

T-6005
09-19-2008, 08:10 PM

Ibanez really isn't that great quality, to be honest. Their beginner guitars are alright, but you have to really ramp it up to get a nicer guitar.

This is also in part because Ibanez necks are so thin. I play a PRS now and the neck is just lovely.

Stylie
09-20-2008, 06:10 AM
Ibanez really isn't that great quality, to be honest. Their beginner guitars are alright, but you have to really ramp it up to get a nicer guitar.

Oh yeah, I think they're that great. Not that I know to much, but I've just heard positive about it, and even the store-guy said that some professional artist buy guitars like that, and that cheap, and just change the pick-ups.

And yep, I like the Ibanez' neck very good too. :)

Superdope
09-20-2008, 07:57 AM
If I were you, I would really consider getting a Pocket Pod by Line 6. It's dirt cheap and it'll give you some effects to play around with :)

Stylie
09-20-2008, 09:38 AM
If I were you, I would really consider getting a Pocket Pod by Line 6. It's dirt cheap and it'll give you some effects to play around with :)

Pocket Pod? Huh. Okey. :)
Well, sure it would give me some more effects and stuff, but I love the effects on the Vox too. It got 11 different effects, really cool ones.

Stylie
09-20-2008, 03:10 PM
http://i38.tinypic.com/1565xe8.jpg

Isn't it lovely? :D
And oh yeah. Just so you guys aren't gonna think that I'm a "spoilt, little boy" - I've paid it myself. Worked, and earned a bit money.

Ryder1234
09-20-2008, 05:36 PM
That's what I liked more about the RG321; the binding on the headstock. Don't remember if it was actually binding or paint, but it looks good.

I will take a real picture of mine soon.

KHWHD
09-20-2008, 06:46 PM

And oh yeah. Just so you guys aren't gonna think that I'm a "spoilt, little boy" - I've paid it myself. Worked, and earned a bit money.

I don't know fuck all about guitars (cept what my Dad tells me cause he plays) but that's a really nice one. Congrats!

Stylie
09-21-2008, 07:43 AM
That's what I liked more about the RG321; the binding on the headstock. Don't remember if it was actually binding or paint, but it looks good.

I will take a real picture of mine soon.

Cool, feel free to post it here.

I don't know fuck all about guitars (cept what my Dad tells me cause he plays) but that's a really nice one. Congrats!

Thank you, Shank!
Yeah, I think the design is really nice too, that's one of the reasons I buyed it. Not this ordinary guitar look and shape. Love it.

Rooster
09-21-2008, 08:26 AM

YEAH!!!

The shape is similar to my guitar, and i like it. Now just wait, earn a bit more money, and then upgrade it with some DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan pickups, and it will be a fucking beast! Seriously, you won't need to buy a better guitar, if you need anything better just upgrade it. But it's a good guitar already, nice buy :)

Stylie
09-24-2008, 08:48 AM
YEAH!!!

The shape is similar to my guitar, and i like it. Now just wait, earn a bit more money, and then upgrade it with some DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan pickups, and it will be a fucking beast! Seriously, you won't need to buy a better guitar, if you need anything better just upgrade it. But it's a good guitar already, nice buy :)

Yeah, I like the shape too. And thanks! :)
Well, I don't think I'm gonna upgrade pickups now, but maybe later. Is it much difference?

randman21
09-24-2008, 11:07 AM
I've heard that pickups are one of the most important factors in determining how a guitar sounds, aside from amps, of course. I don't know how true it is, but I just switched my stock pickups for some upper-mid level ones, and they made a damn big difference. Especially in the "lack of squeal at high volumes" department. But, yeah, having the guitar you have now, you won't need to upgrade p/us for a good long time.

Stylie
09-24-2008, 12:56 PM
I've heard that pickups are one of the most important factors in determining how a guitar sounds, aside from amps, of course. I don't know how true it is, but I just switched my stock pickups for some upper-mid level ones, and they made a damn big difference. Especially in the "lack of squeal at high volumes" department. But, yeah, having the guitar you have now, you won't need to upgrade p/us for a good long time.

Aha, I understand. Well, thanks. :)

Stylie
10-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Just a little update if anyone's interested. :)

Well, I noticed a little "raspy"-sound in my Vox AD15VT amp. I thought it was something wrong, 'caus it absolutely didn't sound right and you could only hear it on the clean/acoustic sound on the amp. All the other sounds were right.

So I went to the music store here and explained it. We had both the guitar and amp in the car, so he checked it out. He played a while and the weird sound was still there, so he wanted to change the reed (I think that's the right word) and see if that was the reason. Today (the next day), we went back to the store, and he said that the company wanted the check out the amp themselves. Therefore, I'll get a new one.

But instead of getting a new 15watts, I asked if I could pay a little bit more (not much actually, that's the good thing) and get the 30watt, which was totally ok. The 15 watt was really good too, but the 30 watt got a bigger and better sound, and it's really not much more expencive. And those Vox amp's are awesome. I think it's great myself, and the guy we talked to said that they had sold maaany of those now in a row. He would also pick the Vox AD30VT instead of the Roland Cube 30 or other amps he had there, 'caus it's such a great amp.

So that's it. And as I said, we got both the guitar and amp in the car, so he tested out the guitar as well. Everything on it was perfect. :D

randman21
10-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Ahh, I see. I'm interested in what the weird sound was, although I know you can't demonstrate. I'm glad they were so helpful. I recently found that buying from a physical store is superior to buying online, but I'm always too impatient to find something cool, go home and research it, then come back and buy it. I just want it right then :rolleyes: I've been checking out that amp you have and it seems awesome. I could be mistaken, but I think they used the 30-watter on RAFRAG.

And "reed"? Heh, I don't think this is the right word unless you're talking about a clarinet, but I could be wrong. I don't know much about amps.

Stylie
10-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Ahh, I see. I'm interested in what the weird sound was, although I know you can't demonstrate. I'm glad they were so helpful. I recently found that buying from a physical store is superior to buying online, but I'm always too impatient to find something cool, go home and research it, then come back and buy it. I just want it right then :rolleyes: I've been checking out that amp you have and it seems awesome. I could be mistaken, but I think they used the 30-watter on RAFRAG.

And "reed"? Heh, I don't think this is the right word unless you're talking about a clarinet, but I could be wrong. I don't know much about amps.

Well, it was just a raspy sound (ah, I don't exactly know what the word is in english - http://www.tritrans.net/cgibin/translateno.cgi?spraak=Norsk&Fra=skurre&button=Oversett!), especially when you played on the two last/darkest strings.

And yeah, they're really nice, so that's good. And I don't regret buying from this store than from the internett, it's much better and safer to buy from a real store as you say. I'm always (almost) checking on the internett before buying something too, heheh.

To the bold: Wow, why do you think that? But if so - great! :D

About the "reed". I don't know if that's the right word, it may be another for it, but this is what I came up with. ^^
Well... as I've understood, there's two different amps; those with, uhm, "reeds", and those without (which I don't have too much knowledge about). Amps with reeds have a littlebit clearer and better sound and blabla, and the sound comes about 5 seconds after you have turned it on (rising). Well, I don't know to much about it myself, but the problem could be because of the reeds, but I guess it wasn't that, heh.

randman21
10-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Ohhh, "tubes". I didn't realize it before, but this is the amp that I was actually very close to getting, except I wanted the 100-watt head. You did very well for yourself:D

If you read that recent Noodles interview from ultimate-guitar, he mentioned using a Vox 30-watt amp on one of the songs (I think 'twas "A Lot Like Me"). Too lazy to check it out now...

EDIT: Nah, it was a Vox AC30.

Stylie
10-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Ohhh, "tubes". I didn't realize it before, but this is the amp that I was actually very close to getting, except I wanted the 100-watt head. You did very well for yourself:D

If you read that recent Noodles interview from ultimate-guitar, he mentioned using a Vox 30-watt amp on one of the songs (I think 'twas "A Lot Like Me"). Too lazy to check it out now...

EDIT: Nah, it was a Vox AC30.

Yeah, tubes! ^^
Ah, good. Why didn't you buy it? And wow, 100 watt is much, heh. Gonna be great to get my 30 watts. Right now I have to play without any amp, heh.

Vox AC30, not AD. That's probably a much more expencive amp. But wow, that's cool, huh? We're talking about the same mark here, just another model. Coolie.

Ryder1234
10-07-2008, 05:49 PM
I have a 75 watt, it's a Line 6 Spider II :cool:

The ones with out tubes are called "Solid State" amps (or something very similar). A lot of them have more effects built in than tube amps. Tell me what effects yours has and I'll post mine, and you'll see. But yeah, tubes sound better. And have good overdrive (Ibanez' pedal is called a "Tubescreamer")

Stylie
10-08-2008, 07:29 AM
I have a 75 watt, it's a Line 6 Spider II :cool:

The ones with out tubes are called "Solid State" amps (or something very similar). A lot of them have more effects built in than tube amps. Tell me what effects yours has and I'll post mine, and you'll see. But yeah, tubes sound better. And have good overdrive (Ibanez' pedal is called a "Tubescreamer")

Huh, really? 'Caus the Vox amp got many effects (and amp sounds), and the Roland Cube 30 doesn't have that much, and that's not a tube. And yup, as the shop man said, tubes got a little better sound.

11 different effects, 11 different amp models (sounds), as you can see on this picture. And the amp models/sound that's chosen on it is very good to.

http://www.musikklink.no/img/cache/vox_ad30vt_comboforsterker_127846667_0_Big.jpg

randman21
10-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Yeah, he's right for the most part. For the record, amps in the Vox Valvetronix series have tube preamps and solid state (ss) power amps. Still, even that makes the sound a helluva lot better. But, yeah, I've seen tube amps with a whole lot of effects (usually higher end stuff) and ss's with few or none. Spectrum and such.

Stylie
10-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Yeah, he's right for the most part. For the record, amps in the Vox Valvetronix series have tube preamps and solid state (ss) power amps. Still, even that makes the sound a helluva lot better. But, yeah, I've seen tube amps with a whole lot of effects (usually higher end stuff) and ss's with few or none. Spectrum and such.

Mhm. :)
Well, just another good thing about the Vox, heh. I really like it.

randman21
10-09-2008, 03:24 AM
Yeah, tubes! ^^
Why didn't you buy it?

Whoops, I forgot you asked. I decided I want to start saving up to go back to uni, then use the excess to buy another guitar.

LosingStreak
10-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Also, please do me a personal favor and refer to it as an electric guitar.

El-guitar sounds like some messed up Superman guitar.

http://www.rsjonline.com/band/Sudhir%20David%20Tikaram/Images/superman-guitar2.jpg

Holy shit thats gay....

Stylie
10-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Well, haven't got my new Vox 30 yet, because the place the store order from didn't have it. So it will probably take some few more days. But, I could and have now lend the Roland Cube 30 'till I get my Vox. Good amp, but not as good as the Vox, mjeheh.

The Vox is as said "tubes", so it got a much clearer sound than the Roland. And, the Roland don't have that many effects and stuff that the Vox have. But a good amp!

And wow, the Roland is small! This Cube 30 is even smaller than the Vox AD15VT. And the AD30VT is a bit bigger than the 15 again. ^^

Ryder1234
10-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Huh, really? 'Caus the Vox amp got many effects (and amp sounds), and the Roland Cube 30 doesn't have that much, and that's not a tube. And yup, as the shop man said, tubes got a little better sound.

11 different effects, 11 different amp models (sounds), as you can see on this picture. And the amp models/sound that's chosen on it is very good to.

http://www.musikklink.no/img/cache/vox_ad30vt_comboforsterker_127846667_0_Big.jpg

http://www.offspring.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=104&pictureid=1347
This is mine. I'll break it down knob by knob:

First knob: Amp models. You only see 6 choices, but theres two different settings for each model. 6x2=12

Next 4 knobs: The FX controls. Drive, Bass, Mid, Treble, and channel volume.

The black buttons above those knobs: Channels. basically, I can save 4 different custom settings to the 4 channels. Just have to press one of the buttons and it'll load my sound.

5th knob: effects. Chorus/Flange, Phaser, and Tremolo.

6th knob: delays. normal delay, tape echo, and sweep echo (if you're wondering what that is, it sorta sounds like... bubbles popping or something, hard to explain)

Black button above last knob: that sets they delay time. if held for three seconds, it becomes a built in tuner. if you hold it and turn up the drive knob, it's a built in distortion boost. do the same thing, but turn the channel vol. knob, and it filters out static.

7th knob: reverb

last knob: volume

Oh yeah :cool:

randman21
10-17-2008, 11:31 PM
You recommended this one to me. Mrconeman recommended the Spider III to me last year, and even made a demo video for me, but I still haven't gotten it yet. I need to get my ass in gear :P

Ryder1234
10-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I'd defiantly recommend it. It's great. Very loud at only 4 on the vol. knob too.

It'd be best to get a Spider III because 1) they don't make the Spider II anymore (got mine used), and 2) The Spider II is basically just an updated version. Same as mine, but with like, 100 or something presets created by well known guitarists.

randman21
10-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Cool. I'll probably get the Spider III half stack, or a smaller head with a 2X12 cab (for more portability).

Ryder1234
10-17-2008, 11:46 PM
I want a nice stack myself. But I really only play in my room, so what I have suits that perfectly. If I upgrade to a stack, I'd stick to Line 6 (or I'd get a Spider head and a Behringer cab for the price, I enjoyed the Behringer cab I played once quite extensively)

randman21
10-17-2008, 11:48 PM
(or I'd get a Spider head and a Behringer cab for the price, I enjoyed the Behringer cab I played once quite extensively)
Oooh, this is exactly what I was going to do at one point. Do you remember the exact model Behringer cab you had? I wanted this (http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBG412S) one, but I let someone talk me out of it.

Ryder1234
10-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Well, it wasn't mine. I don't think it was that one (the speakers were all black, not with a white rim), but It was very similar to that.

I don't have the funds at this point though to buy a new amp, let alone a stack. I'm hoping to get a job where my friend works though during christmas season (cause business usually picks up around then so I've been told... which means I'll work more than average and make more MONEYZ)