PDA

View Full Version : What courses are you taking this semester?

jacknife737
09-01-2008, 01:31 PM
So, since a lot of the users here are in University or High school, what courses are you taking this semester?

I’m taking…

Canadian Foreign Policy
American Foreign Policy
The Soviet Experiment
The Rise of the British Empire
The French Revolution

Winter Semester I’m taking…

The French Revolution (a full year course)
Selected Topics in History: The State in Early Modern Europe
The New Imperialism
British Politics
Strategies of Political Research (sounds dull, because it is; but it’s mandatory.

Little_Miss_1565
09-01-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm part time in a Web design program, so right now it's Web Site Development. Basically an intermediate site planning and design class.

Endymion
09-01-2008, 01:46 PM
i'm on a quarter system. and i don't know what i'll be taking because i still need to talk to the guy i want to research with and see what he thinks. as it stands, though, i'll likely be taking:

Neural Networks
Topology
+research credits

Capricorn4
09-01-2008, 01:49 PM
My courses in this semester:

-Mineralogy II lecture
-Mineralogy II practice
-Sedimentary basins of the Earth and their hydrocarbon systems
-Palaeontology lecture
-Palaeontology practice
-Speleology
-Geoinformatic systems
-Biochemistry II lecture
-Analytical Chemistry Laboratory Practice
-Crystal optics practice

IamSam
09-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Montana History
Colonial and Independent Africa
World War II History
Regional Geography
Mapping Systems

WebDudette
09-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Senior in High School:

H College Prep English
Creative Foods
Art IV
Art T.A.

Endymion
09-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Montana History

on my initial scan, i read this as "Montana, Hannah".

wheelchairman
09-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Cultural Encounters (Cultural Studies.)

Started today. I actually had low expectations. And this was offset by the fact that half the professors seemed to be solely interested in gender studies. Which isn't really my interest. Although many of them were young and would likely take a new more modern approach. I suppose my fear of gender studies would be that it would be a throwback to the 80's, 70's or 60's gender studies. That at least was the unfortunate trend in the sociology courses in general.

I'll be focusing on ethnicity, and maybe I'll kick my ass into gear and read Orientalism by Edward Said.

The focus of the course is largely on when two cultures meet, in any context. I'll be taking a side course in Qualitative Methodology as well.

Jakebert
09-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Human Evolution
Principles of Accounting 1.
Microcomputer Applications for Business
Intermediate Algebra

jacknife737
09-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Cultural Encounters (Cultural Studies.)

Started today. I actually had low expectations. And this was offset by the fact that half the professors seemed to be solely interested in gender studies. Which isn't really my interest. Although many of them were young and would likely take a new more modern approach. I suppose my fear of gender studies would be that it would be a throwback to the 80's, 70's or 60's gender studies. That at least was the unfortunate trend in the sociology courses in general.

I'll be focusing on ethnicity, and maybe I'll kick my ass into gear and read Orientalism by Edward Said.

The focus of the course is largely on when two cultures meet, in any context. I'll be taking a side course in Qualitative Methodology as well.

I've been wondering this for a little while, what is your major?

Ryder1234
09-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Woodwork
Spanish

I only got to choose 2 classes, the rest are manditory.

bighead384
09-01-2008, 04:11 PM

Maybe a little off-topic action here, but I've been trying to clear up the confusion on this. Is referring to Asians as "Oriental" politically incorrect or offensive? I've heard different things from different sources. For example, when I typed it in wikipedia, it just redirected me to an article on "Asians". Yet I know I've heard that it's offensive.

Jakebert
09-01-2008, 04:15 PM
I think the proper, political correct term is "Chink".

wheelchairman
09-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Maybe a little off-topic action here, but I've been trying to clear up the confusion on this. Is referring to Asians as "Oriental" politically incorrect or offensive? I've heard different things from different sources. For example, when I typed it in wikipedia, it just redirected me to an article on "Asians". Yet I know I've heard that it's offensive.

Orientalism refers to a study of eastern cultures. Edward Said (Said does not rhyme with Ed, it's an arabic name I think) sort of redefined the study way back when he wrote the book Orientalism. Here's the Wiki link on that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism_(book)

I was introduced to him while writing a paper on critical discourse analysis and media discourse analysis.

If you want to know more about that it's fascinating reading. I'm not sure how good the wiki articles, but the one called Critical Discourse Analysis looks like it has some cool links at the bottom.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discourse_analysis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_discourse_analysis

Rag Doll
09-01-2008, 05:29 PM
intro to latin american studies (yesss, intro class during my final year...but it's a requirement)
political science seminar: politics and the arts
men & masculinity
politics of sexual violence

and in the spring, i'm taking....
6 credit political science internship
independent study with the most amazing professor ever
some environmental science class

Tired_Of_You
09-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Translated from French.

- Ethnography of Communication
- Introduction to the Anthropological Approach
- Elements of Prehistory*
- Ethnolinguistic Analysis
- Evolution and Human Behavior

It's okayish. They are all mandatory classes besides the first one... I don't know my classes for the other semester, I don't even now if I can chose them right now, but I'm pretty sure I can't.

*don't know how to translate that one...

bighead384
09-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Personally, I'm just glad that none of my classes require me to be out of bed before 9.

Jebus
09-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Principles of Macroeconomics
Business Law
Java Programming
Account 1

Conspiracyof1000
09-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Sophomore in high school, so...

Health
Student Council (not really a class, I know, but the school counts it as an elective.)

Next semester Health will change to Physical Education. The rest of my classes are mandatory (English II, etc...)

ninthlayer
09-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Topics in Digital Media: New Media Poetics
Topics in Mass Communication: Digital Games and Participatory Culture
Multimedia Writing: Radio Essays
Selected American Authors: Raymond Carver and Tobias Wolff
Elementary German II

lolenglishkekmajorlol

adombomb222
09-01-2008, 10:52 PM
By choice:
Marine Biology (Full Year Coarse, also a Bio 2 class)
Weight Lifting

Mandatory:
English 11
American History
Algebra 2

ninthlayer
09-01-2008, 10:57 PM
What texts are you going to be reading in English II? Are you at a collegiate or high school level?

HornyPope
09-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Microeconomy
Macroeconomy
Research methods
Classical social theory
Intl. economic policy and institutions

WebDudette
09-01-2008, 11:25 PM
He is High School.

In H English II we read Brave New World and Anthem. I'm sure we read other dystopia stuff I don't remember. His curriculum might be similar to that.

ninthlayer
09-02-2008, 01:02 AM
I know Ayn Rand gets a lot of flack, but Anthem is one of my favorite novellas. Last time I opened it I finished it in one sitting.

WebDudette
09-02-2008, 01:03 AM
I read it in one sitting, but I didn't particularly like it, to be honest.

Oh yeah, we also read Animal Farm, which I also read in one sitting, I thought it was alright.

ninthlayer
09-02-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm really fucking amped because my reading this term is going to be fucking rad.

I'm a fag for non fiction.

WebDudette
09-02-2008, 01:08 AM
I think I might read Anthem again.

I'm in College Prep, I guess we are going to be doing a lot of European and English historic reading. We started with Beowulf. I can't wait till we get to the contemporary stuff to be honest.

ninthlayer
09-02-2008, 07:41 AM
I read about a third of Beowulf and threw it away from myself. It sat on the floor at the foot of my bed until I moved.

-L-
09-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Microeconomy
Macroeconomy
Research methods
Classical social theory
Intl. economic policy and institutions

Macroeconomy was my favourite course in the last semester:D

Now I have:

Marketing planning
Accountancy
Applied informatics
Marketing
Project management
Commercial logistics
Communication and psychology
Business communication in foreign language
General language
International economy
Non-profit marketing
Business and PR communication
and Sociology

Bipolar Bear
09-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Differential Calculus
Chemistry
Mechanics
Components of Discourse
Littérature D'expression Française
General Chemistry Lab
General Mechanics Lab
Basketball

Thomas
09-02-2008, 01:13 PM
TRAD104- Justice and Virtue (A philosophy class of sorts)
SPAN201- Spanish. dur.
NATS101- Earth Env: INTR PHYS
INDV101- Structure: Mind and Behavior (a psychology class of sorts)
MUS400B- Pride of Arizona Marching Band

basically copied from what it said online. Just all of my gen-ed stuff because I'm an undecided major right now. 15 units. I would take more if Marching Band didn't rehearse 4 times a week. @_@

adombomb222
09-02-2008, 03:35 PM
What texts are you going to be reading in English II? Are you at a collegiate or high school level?

He is High School.

In H English II we read Brave New World and Anthem. I'm sure we read other dystopia stuff I don't remember. His curriculum might be similar to that.

Its eleven... In my area English coarses are required for all 12 years of schooling, therefore, we coun it what what year of school we're in.

WebDudette
09-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Oh I see, so your a Junior in high school? So it is still a high school English class.

We read a lot of American Literature in Junior English. Fahrenheit 451, Crucible, Scarlet Letter.

I didn't particularly like any of it.

ps. We also take 12 years of English, we just change it to English I, II, II, and depending on what you take IV, H College Prep, or AP Comp and Lit.

adombomb222
09-02-2008, 04:11 PM
We do have honors and AP (advance Placement) classes, which I think are the equivalent of college prep classes... but those are not worth the trouble in Language Art classes. Next semester or next year I’ll take philosophy. Last year I took creative writing, horrible choice – not a very well taught class, and the teacher was boring.

However, well worth it for Social Study classes. I would take an AP or Honors class, but I rather take classes like sociology of physiology.

We're only required three years of math in High School, but most people take four. I'd personally never take one of those AP or Honors classes... that’s way too much of a workload.

For science, I was in Honors last year for Bio 1. My Marine Bio class is considered a Bio 2, college level class. I’ll take honors chemistry next year and probably a normal level physics class.

Apathy
09-02-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm a senior in high school. We have Block Scheduling, so four classes per semester.

Advanced Placement U.S. History
Advanced Placement European History
Honors Chemistry

I had to switch out of my last class because I have a stress fracture from running and it was a gym class. They moved me into a study hall, which I normally don't take but I might just keep it because I'm already good on all my credits and everything.

lost_nvrfound
09-02-2008, 04:29 PM
He is High School.

wow... we read brave new world my senior year (by we i mean my class, i however did not touch the damn thing)

i'm taking:

General Biology
Intro to Chemistry
Calculus A
Aerobics and Body Conditioning
Socialogy

and two other classes that don't really count for anything and just serve as two free credit hours, I have 17 hours total this semester. 18 planned for next semester

Endymion
09-02-2008, 04:45 PM
I'd personally never take one of those AP or Honors classes... that’s way too much of a workload.

do recall though that each AP class you take is one fewer class you need to take in college. i entered with at least a full semester already completed.

lost_nvrfound
09-02-2008, 04:48 PM
yeah, I have something like 9 hours that i don't have to deal with, and i took the minimalist approach to ap classes.

Thomas
09-02-2008, 04:50 PM
It only works if you get a passing score on the AP exams, and even sometimes that doesn't even count. For instance, The University of Arizona only accepts AP test scores of 4s and 5s, even though according to collegeboard, the organization that is in charge of AP tests and scores, says that a score of 3 is passing. I got a 3 on my AP U.S. History class, but did not recieve credit in college because it wasn't a 4.

lost_nvrfound
09-02-2008, 04:53 PM
It only works if you get a passing score on the AP exams, and even sometimes that doesn't even count. For instance, The University of Arizona only accepts AP test scores of 4s and 5s, even though according to collegeboard, the organization that is in charge of AP tests and scores, says that a score of 3 is passing. I got a 3 on my AP U.S. History class, but did not recieve credit in college because it wasn't a 4.

it all depends on the school. I got a 3 on the AP Art exam so I needed the design school here to approve my portfolio in order to get credit.

Tired_Of_You
09-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Translated from French.

- Ethnography of Communication
- Introduction to the Anthropological Approach
- Elements of Prehistory*
- Ethnolinguistic Analysis
- Evolution and Human Behavior

It's okayish. They are all mandatory classes besides the first one... I don't know my classes for the other semester, I don't even now if I can chose them right now, but I'm pretty sure I can't.

*don't know how to translate that one...

I think I'm blind. So, for the winter :

- Primatology
- Biodiversity 2
- Human Osteology
- Evolution and Human Behavior 2
- Psychology and behavior

It might change.

Thomas
09-02-2008, 04:56 PM
it all depends on the school. I got a 3 on the AP Art exam so I needed the design school here to approve my portfolio in order to get credit.

Yeah, that sounds about right. What school are you going to right now?

WebDudette
09-02-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm taking College Prep, as long as I pass the class I will receive 6 College English credits.

Betty
09-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Boo. No classes for me.

I'm teaching a 3rd year inorganic chemistry lab.

Things I'm going to try to learn about over the next few months
-magnetism
-italian
-economics
-nutrition
-inorganic chemistry (I need to be able to better pretend to know what I'm talking about to my students)
-everything else in the world

I also have to write a PhD candidacy paper and then go through an oral examination on a particular topic. Haven't decided what yet. My supervisor suggested magnetooptics, but this might be too physics-ey. Whatever the topic is, I'll probably spend about 4 weeks studying it full time.

I also want to write a mini Python program to process my data files.

lost_nvrfound
09-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Yeah, that sounds about right. What school are you going to right now?

North Carolina State

Ninty Man
09-02-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm in Unversity

Independence War- Mexico
Hispanic-American Independence Revolutions
Asian civilizations-Introduction
Porfirism- The historical period of Mexico when Porfirio Díaz ruled the country
Protestant Reformation And Counter Reformation
Seminary of Modern Mexico
History and social sciences

And... co-teacher of the seminary about History and Literature. I'm not a co-teacher with pay, or a sustitute. I'm just doing my social service.

Endymion
09-02-2008, 10:00 PM
but this might be too physics-ey.
that's funny, i'm getting looks because my interests aren't physics-ey enough.

I also want to write a mini Python program to process my data files.
i love you for choosing python.

coke_a_holic
09-02-2008, 10:20 PM
OMGOMGOMG FROOOSHHHH

Intro to Engineering
Future of Engineering
Calculus
Chemistry
Chemistry Lab
English

Fuck engineering, I did not want this. Next semester better be less soul-crushing or we're gonna have some problems.

sKratch
09-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Topology

I finally took something before you did! Topology fucking kicked my ass though.

I'm taking:
Graduate Quantum Mechanics I
Coherent Optics
Introduction to Fluid Dynamics

Teaching an introductory discussion section and grading undergraduate quantum homework :[

sKratch
09-02-2008, 10:24 PM
OMGOMGOMG FROOOSHHHH

Intro to Engineering
Future of Engineering
Calculus
Chemistry
Chemistry Lab
English

Fuck engineering, I did not want this. Next semester better be less soul-crushing or we're gonna have some problems.
Oh so all engineers cry and whine, not just the ones at my school. Bunch of sissies.

Betty
09-02-2008, 10:30 PM
i love you for choosing python.

I can't really take credit. I sat in on a "programming for chemists" type course and the prof was a huge fan of it, and I have yet to try writing an actual program to use with my research.

Jebus
09-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Engineering sounds kind of fun for a high school class.

adombomb222
09-02-2008, 11:56 PM
do recall though that each AP class you take is one fewer class you need to take in college. i entered with at least a full semester already completed.

Thats very true, but do you think out of state colleges will count it?

Thomas
09-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Thats very true, but do you think out of state colleges will count it?

Most do, actually. I'm not sure about Ivy-league schools, but the college board organization is a national thing.

adombomb222
09-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Sweet, i'll have to look it up then.

Endymion
09-03-2008, 02:34 AM
nearly every school will accept AP credit, but they may require a 5 on the exam.

moral of the story: get a five.

michelle: if you need any help, totally email/im me. i love writing python.

Vera
09-03-2008, 07:08 AM
First courses on my major Ethnology, some mandatory communication course, probably some further Ethnology stuff and 101 of Gender Studies.

I might take more as the year goes along; we can sign up pretty much at any given point before the course begins.

Little_Miss_1565
09-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Yay Vera's at uni! :D

T-6005
09-03-2008, 09:27 AM
I'm having massive problems getting into courses due to my university's complete inability to process simple requests. As it is, I have 3 classes lined up, totalling 15 credits out of the 36 I need this year.

Izie
09-03-2008, 09:47 AM
My schedule for the fall is sweet, I only have classes Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. And these are:

Managerial Accounting
Finance Theory I (investments)
Finance Theory II (corprate finance)
Business Law and Ethics

So far I've only had 1 and 3 and loved both. Most likely because it's all about the pretty numbers that need to balance out and make sense. I'm sure 2 will be the same.

4 scares me because they apparently hardly ever give out good grades and I'm an obsessive GPA-chaser, but the prof I've got has been known to do it provided we do all the work required... Which involves reading like 45720845 cases, but that's ok. The topics he covers sound like fun.

I'll probably be working in the winter, then taking some classes in the summer. And god how upset I am at the fact that my university is making me take an English class simply because I'm in a 120-credit program. Ughhhghghhhhghgh.

Betty
09-03-2008, 10:36 AM
michelle: if you need any help, totally email/im me. i love writing python.

Sweet. I will definitely take you up on that. (Unless of course I'm a super genius and can figure it all out by myself).

Sofinch
09-03-2008, 10:37 AM
now literally translated to English :Office
it's administration, accounting,...

IamSam
09-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Went to my Historical Methodology class and had my proposal for my 25 page paper shot down. I was going to write on how Hitler could have won the war and the class is more on social and economic issues that affected the nearby regions during WWII. Soooo....I'm writing on how rural western states transitioned from depression to war time.

jacknife737
09-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Went to my Historical Methodology class and had my proposal for my 25 page paper shot down. I was going to write on how Hitler could have won the war and the class is more on social and economic issues that affected the nearby regions during WWII. Soooo....I'm writing on how rural western states transitioned from depression to war time.

Damn, that sucks regarding your proposal. Although, your second topic does sound interesting. Check out work by Niall Ferguson, specifically his book War of the World, it's been a little while since i've read it, but i think it may have some useful info, if you agree with his pov.

Edit:, actually by "rural western states" you mean US states,then i'm not sure, but he's huge into economic history, and still may have some helpful stuff.

Vera
09-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Business Law and Ethics

Lol business has ethics? ;p

Izie
09-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Go figure. I think they just have to have a class with that name in the program so they could say we're not completely heartless and profit based, which we're honestly not.

We're based on maximizing shareholder value under any terms :)

HornyPope
09-04-2008, 10:20 AM

Well it's obvious it was going to be shut down. Your entire proposal would have rested on assumptions that will never be verified and your benifit of a hidnisght. Did you actually submit the proposal or did you have a short chat with your professor and he told you "nuh huh, bad idea"?

Maybe you can compare and contrast how different nations have transformed from consumer-oriented to war economy?

I'm in Unversity

Independence War- Mexico
Hispanic-American Independence Revolutions
Asian civilizations-Introduction
Porfirism- The historical period of Mexico when Porfirio Díaz ruled the country
Protestant Reformation And Counter Reformation
Seminary of Modern Mexico
History and social sciences

And... co-teacher of the seminary about History and Literature. I'm not a co-teacher with pay, or a sustitute. I'm just doing my social service.

Social service... like community service? Instead of going to jail?

How come all your classes pertain to history? I understand you're a history major or whatever equivalent name you carry in your country, but don't you have to take subjects from other discplines as wel?

Also I'm not at all familiar with the Mexican system so help me understand please: how long is every class? How many weeks and how many hrs per week of lecture plus assignments/homeworks? And what's the maximum amount of classes you can take per semester?

I also notice a lot of people have very detailed subjects.

StayInTheHouseCarl
09-04-2008, 10:50 AM
This is my first semester of my senior year of college ,so thankfully it is a lot less crowded schedule-wise:

-Digital Media in the Arts
-Natural Disasters (upper division GE)
-Digital Media Production (over the summer, the TV majors film a 10-15 minute drama, and this semester I'm composing the music to one of them)
-Music Internship (helping record campus concerts, making sure the recording studio keeps working)
-Concert Music (I go to 7 concerts, this semester, write a one page report, and im done. so far, going to : NIN, Rancid, Flogging Molly, Bouncing Souls, the Damned)
- DMA Independent Study- don't know what this is yet. probably write like a 10 page paper or something.

Vera
09-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Go figure. I think they just have to have a class with that name in the program so they could say we're not completely heartless and profit based, which we're honestly not.

We're based on maximizing shareholder value under any terms :)
:(

I will teach you Ethics, Iza. Life is not all moneyz.

Oromis
09-05-2008, 01:20 AM
I know Ayn Rand gets a lot of flack, but Anthem is one of my favorite novellas. Last time I opened it I finished it in one sitting.

I absolutely love Anthem.

I am a sophomore in highschool and my classes are:

Business Management during the first half of the year, Business Law during the second half)
German 2 H
Spanish 3 H
Drivers Ed (becomes gym class halfway through the year)
American History AP
English 2 H
Algebra 2
Biology H

Gym, Drivers Ed, American History, Algebra and English are mandatory

HornyPope
09-05-2008, 02:06 AM
Macroeconomy was my favourite course in the last semester:D

Now I have:

Marketing planning
Accountancy
Applied informatics
Marketing
Project management
Commercial logistics
Communication and psychology
Business communication in foreign language
General language
International economy
Non-profit marketing
Business and PR communication
and Sociology

How come you have so many classes? Where do you study?

Differential Calculus
Chemistry
Mechanics
Components of Discourse
Littérature D'expression Française
General Chemistry Lab
General Mechanics Lab
Basketball

Dawson?

Let me tell you man, CEGEP is the biggest waste of fucking time. Drop that shit and go travel the world or something; find out what you like, overcome what you don't, and discover yourself.

You will be able to enter university as a mature student at 21-22, at which point you will catch up on the material you "missed" in CEGEP in a matter of one semester. Instead of following a 90 credit program, you will follow a 108 credits program. That's like 6 extra classes - no big deal. Instead of doing a useless and redundant college program of two years.