PDA

View Full Version : Jay from Bad Religion interview mentioning The Offspring

Alex101
09-01-2008, 05:25 PM
I just read the new interview (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=103841) from Bad Religion bassist Jay Bentley.

In the interview, he mentioned The Offspring saying,

That's part of it. Part of it was, when we moved to Warner Brothers, Epitaph was small, Offspring hadn't hit yet, and Brett and I were spending ninety-nine percent of our day shipping Bad Religion records. We considered that it might be hurting the band and hurting the label and stressing under our own weight. Strangely, when we left, The Offspring took off and sold seventeen million records.

I posted this was because I thought it would be interesting for Offspring fans who are also Bad Religion fans (like me). Also in the interview, I hear Bad Religion's coming back with a new album in 2009.

RonWelty
09-01-2008, 05:32 PM
News Maps From Hell is a good album, but as RAFRAG, the band did not promoted it properly...

cool 2 hate 681
09-01-2008, 05:33 PM
i thought about making a thread about this

Ground Control: Now, this might sound like a totally contrived question, but is that why BAD RELIGION returned to Epitaph?

Bentley: That's part of it. Part of it was, when we moved to Warner Brothers, Epitaph was small, OFFSPRING hadn't hit yet, and Brett and I were spending ninety-nine percent of our day shipping BAD RELIGION records. We considered that it might be hurting the band and hurting the label and stressing under our own weight. Strangely, when we left, THE OFFSPRING took off and sold seventeen million records. [laughing]

Ground Control: Just in time for you to leave!

Bentley: [laughing] That seemed to work out really well,

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=103841

Alex101
09-01-2008, 05:34 PM
i thought about making a thread about this

Ground Control: Now, this might sound like a totally contrived question, but is that why BAD RELIGION returned to Epitaph?

Bentley: That's part of it. Part of it was, when we moved to Warner Brothers, Epitaph was small, OFFSPRING hadn't hit yet, and Brett and I were spending ninety-nine percent of our day shipping BAD RELIGION records. We considered that it might be hurting the band and hurting the label and stressing under our own weight. Strangely, when we left, THE OFFSPRING took off and sold seventeen million records. [laughing]

Ground Control: Just in time for you to leave!

Bentley: [laughing] That seemed to work out really well,

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=103841
Really? You did?

cool 2 hate 681
09-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Really? You did?

no i was about to but then i saw yours:)

also i bet this pic was taken during 1998

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j218/ecw4ever3/normal_768u76ykj.jpg

Alex101
09-01-2008, 06:11 PM

Possibly. I also just remembered that The Offspring and Bad Religion were supposed to perform together in Argentina in 1999, but the concert didn't happen.

Rutegard
09-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Possibly. I also just remembered that The Offspring and Bad Religion were supposed to perform together in Argentina in 1999, but the concert didn't happen.

are they cool now?

cool 2 hate 681
09-02-2008, 09:03 AM
im not sure but they played at the kroq weenie roast together on 5/17/08

Alex101
09-02-2008, 09:05 AM
im not sure but they played at the kroq weenie roast together on 5/17/08

Yeah, I remember that. The Offspring and Bad Religion also played together at the KROQ Inland Invasion in 2002, but I didn't see that concert.

cool 2 hate 681
09-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I remember that. The Offspring and Bad Religion also played together at the KROQ Inland Invasion in 2002, but I didn't see that concert.

i think that is because kroq did not start having webcast until 2003 also it looks like no la invasion this year :confused:

MaF
09-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Oh, that was a goddamn great... when...when even one of the bands will come to my city?!

Blackball_
09-02-2008, 01:21 PM
i find it a bit annoying when reading the whole bad religion leaving epitaph then the offspring selling millions almost instantly, as if bad religion stayed on epitaph then they would have been the ones to sell millions. brett insinuates this a lot. the fact was the offspring wrote a catchy as fuck hit or two. bad religion thought 21st century digital boy could be their hit and thats why they remade it. its a fuckin great song, but its hardly the epic singalong thats needed to sell millions.

F@ BANKZ
09-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Digital Boy really sounded predictable next to Fuck Armageddon, White Trash and Voice Of God. Maybe they wanted to aim for the mainstream but I don't know. Come Out and Play and Self Esteem (I'm sorry to say it) are far more punk.

Amiralanal
09-02-2008, 02:04 PM

They probably opened for bad religion tens of times before they got bigger than BR themselves,

Ninty Man
09-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Digital Boy really sounded predictable next to Fuck Armageddon, White Trash and Voice Of God. Maybe they wanted to aim for the mainstream but I don't know. Come Out and Play and Self Esteem (I'm sorry to say it) are far more punk.

... Self esteem is kinda grunge kinda love twisted song... Well, playing with time is not a good thing

jacknife737
09-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Haha, I haven't seen that Graffin/Dexter/Joe picture before. That's pretty rad.

Was there ever any hard feelings between the Offspring guys and the rest of Bad Religion, or was that pretty much limited to Cokewitz? I can't remember Offspring and BR playing any shows together in the old days, although I suppose they all knew each other through Brett.

I see what you did there.

ThunderPX
09-03-2008, 08:25 AM
I heard most of BR didn't really like the Offspring, but it seems Greg and Jay like them, at least. Well, and Brett since he signed them.

Alex101
09-03-2008, 08:25 AM
i think that is because kroq did not start having webcast until 2003 also it looks like no la invasion this year :confused:

Yeah. I remember watching the Bad Religion concert at 2004's Weenie Roast online.

F@ BANKZ
09-03-2008, 08:27 AM
no i was about to but then i saw yours:)

Graffin is taller than Dexter?

I'm never going to be a punk star :(

DefaultNinja
09-03-2008, 11:33 AM
I really hope that Bad Religion and Offspring might one day do a song together, I know it's unlikely but it'd blow my mind.

Blackball_
09-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Graffin is taller than Dexter?

I'm never going to be a punk star :(

you still have a shot! avril lavigne is like 5'1 :D

Ninty Man
09-03-2008, 01:45 PM

tru punx...

Well, look at greg Hetson, he's a little men, but he is more respected that Gurewitz XD.

Or...MMM...let me think...

Rutegard
09-04-2008, 04:36 AM

AHAHAHAH

i didn't know she was so small...

Alex101
09-04-2008, 03:45 PM
I really hope that Bad Religion and Offspring might one day do a song together, I know it's unlikely but it'd blow my mind.
I would agree on that. Or maybe they should do a split album just like Rancid and NOFX did back in 2002.

Rutegard
09-05-2008, 03:55 AM
I would agree on that. Or maybe they should do a split album just like Rancid and NOFX did back in 2002.

well, i think that will just ruin the offspring....

Ninty Man
09-05-2008, 02:51 PM
well, i think that will just ruin the offspring....

Nah, because Offspring and bad religion are good bands :D

Rutegard
09-05-2008, 03:03 PM

i don't like them that much.... :p

Ninty Man
09-05-2008, 03:13 PM
i don't like them that much.... :p

Offspring??? Bad religion?

Stylie
09-05-2008, 03:20 PM

Of course The Offspring.

Rutegard
09-05-2008, 03:32 PM

Of course The Offspring.

of course bad religion LOOOOL

the offspring? you kidding? i'd give my life for them!

Alex101
09-05-2008, 03:43 PM
The Offspring and Bad Religion are legends and two of the most bands you can't despise.

Rutegard
09-05-2008, 03:50 PM
The Offspring and Bad Religion are legends and two of the most bands you can't despise.

bad religion for me...are at the sea level...and the offspring...in the top of everest...get the picture? LOL

Stylie
09-05-2008, 04:31 PM
of course bad religion LOOOOL

the offspring? you kidding? i'd give my life for them!

Maaan (womeeen doesn't fit), see the joke. :p

Daxter Fan
09-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Bad religion and the offspring are legends, Jay just rant. I don't think BR and offspring have hard feelings.

Alex101
09-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Bad religion and the offspring are legends, Jay just rant. I don't think BR and offspring have hard feelings.
No, they actually don't have hard feelings. Bad Religion and The Offspring are just legends, so are the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Rancid, Face to Face, any band that was around during the 1994-era.

Short_Attention_Span
09-05-2008, 05:25 PM
I don't know.

I was under the impression that Greg or Jay don't particularly care for them. I remember one Loveline episode where Greg and Adam (that shows you how long ago it was) were talking about Dexter and only doing "one show a year" or something like that. It didn't sound all that favorable. Not to mention that the BR dudes seem to have blamed the Offspring for not getting to play in Argentina back in '99. Brett seems to have reconciled, though. I don't know, maybe they've all gotten over it by now.

But, to be honest, any grousing Bad Religion does seems pretty par for the course when it comes to a younger, more popular, band. Jay's bitched about how Green Day never takes them on tour, when BR let them open when they were just starting out.

But, whatever.
________
Blonde Sex (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/12/blonde/videos/1)

Rutegard
09-06-2008, 04:57 AM
Maaan (womeeen doesn't fit), see the joke. :p

i did ahahah

i know you weren't for real ahah

Ninty Man
09-06-2008, 05:42 PM
I don't know.

I was under the impression that Greg or Jay don't particularly care for them. I remember one Loveline episode where Greg and Adam (that shows you how long ago it was) were talking about Dexter and only doing "one show a year" or something like that. It didn't sound all that favorable. Not to mention that the BR dudes seem to have blamed the Offspring for not getting to play in Argentina back in '99. Brett seems to have reconciled, though. I don't know, maybe they've all gotten over it by now.

But, to be honest, any grousing Bad Religion does seems pretty par for the course when it comes to a younger, more popular, band. Jay's bitched about how Green Day never takes them on tour, when BR let them open when they were just starting out.

But, whatever.

Well... that's reasonable cause Green Day acts like a bitch. But just remember when Bad religion opened for lametards of Blink

Alex101
09-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Of course they are! And that's what I said before, Offspring and BR are two of the most bands you can't despise.

Rutegard
09-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Of course they are! And that's what I said before, Offspring and BR are two of the most bands you can't despise.

shame on me then.... :p

Ninty Man
09-07-2008, 11:43 AM

Yes, that's reasonable. What about a double CD between offspring and bad religion, like papa and son?

Alex101
09-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Yes, that's reasonable. What about a double CD between offspring and bad religion, like papa and son?

So let me guess, if The Offspring and BR were going to do a double CD together, The Offspring will be disc 1 and Bad Religion will be disc 2.

Ninty Man
09-07-2008, 06:58 PM
So let me guess, if The Offspring and BR were going to do a double CD together, The Offspring will be disc 1 and Bad Religion will be disc 2.

Eh... Nop... or... It could be disc one with Offspring songs being singed (is that correct... singed?) by Bad Religion, and a last song a collaboration between two bands - I think protocol kinda song here, and disc 2 bad religion songs covered by offspring... and a last song with both bands

Alex101
09-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Eh... Nop... or... It could be disc one with Offspring songs being singed (is that correct... singed?) by Bad Religion, and a last song a collaboration between two bands - I think protocol kinda song here, and disc 2 bad religion songs covered by offspring... and a last song with both bands

Oh, you mean like G3, a project with guitarists (like Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, others) jamming with Joe Satriani, doing songs together and stuff.

Ninty Man
09-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Oh, you mean like G3, a project with guitarists (like Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, others) jamming with Joe Satriani, doing songs together and stuff.

Yes, but not lame XD (sorry, I can't stand Satriani)