PDA

View Full Version : The upcoming Canadian Federal Election

jacknife737
09-02-2008, 05:41 PM
So, enough about the USA, lets get to something that really matters, thoughts on the upcoming Canadian election? Could a snap election perhaps lead to turmoil in the region, or even ethnic cleansing?

If I were a betting man, I’d wager that we’re going to end up more of the same, a Conservative dominated minority government. The Globe the other day claimed that Harper was on the brink of a majority, which I’m still having trouble believing, since I really think that Conservative support has peaked at around 35%. This election is all going to come down to Dion, since the general public still seems unsure about him. I think that the Conservative warmachine is underestimating how strong of a campaigner he is, the Cons are still on the wrong side of the environmental debate, and the Liberals have nowhere to go but up. I read an article the other day that suggested that Harper’s plan is simply not just to win the election, but destroy the Liberal party financial, which is still having troubles repaying it’s debts, thanks to reforms introduced by Chretien.

However, after the election is over, it’s pretty much guaranteed that either Harper or Dion will be replaced. Although I’m an Ignatieff supporter, rumor has it, that Dalton Mcguinty may be stepping up to the federal level….

KHWHD
09-02-2008, 07:24 PM
But hey.. listen.. Harper cut our taxes by a whole, what?? 1%. Whippy shit. They're all the same as far as I'm concerned. Full of empty promises.

Hypno Toad
09-10-2008, 09:48 PM
I would vote for the NDP. still a year short of age, unfortunately. I don't want Harper to phase out my healthcare :(

KHWHD
09-10-2008, 09:52 PM
I would vote for the NDP. still a year short of age, unfortunately. I don't want Harper to phase out my healthcare :(

I guess you were too young when Bob Rae got voted in yeeears ago. He royally fucked things up for the NDP, and it's never been the same since for them.

jacknife737
09-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Jack Layton always reminds me of the Cheshire Cat, I think it may be the ‘stache.

NickyNineDoors
09-12-2008, 12:30 PM
do you folks get those fold in three part mail outs from all levels of government
well I do, and since the postage is paid, I always respond, with my own critique
when will stockwell day become prime minister, you ask ?

NickyNineDoors
09-14-2008, 12:55 PM
thinking conservative sweep
we'll know on oct 14th

jacknife737
09-14-2008, 08:41 PM
For the Canadian politics junkies, a really in-depth election predictor. You can mess around with voter percentages, and what not for every single riding, i've spend hours on these things.

http://predictor.hillandknowlton.ca/predictor/

NickyNineDoors
09-17-2008, 08:27 AM
our canadian pm mr harper is in town today speaking, just up the street about the sudden increase of political mail and hand outs
he's claiming this is due to an election vote called for oct 14th
all the biggie news trucks are there
vote harper
vote gainful employment for our troops in afganistan

jack layton was in town yesterday, I biked past his tour bus, doing my part for green thinking, and catching some rays of solar energy
he wants to spend the entire treasury on social programs for the well being of all canadians, which is a very honorable objective

;)

jacknife737
09-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Jack Layton is a filthy commie.

NickyNineDoors
09-18-2008, 09:43 AM
traditionally the ndp are rooted with the influx of european culture, toiling for improved health care and social services
if they, as you claim, p2p with moscow , it's probably just a version of a political application
as the underdog, they have done well for canadians

elizabeth may, of the green party, however wants to legalize marryjane, although if this includes resin or hashish, I do not know

the liberals of course want to return to the glory days of bankrolling strip clubs, and providing e-z-y immigration for latvian/croation/rommanian/polish/belarus/kamstavikstavanikan and other various womens of the sexual services trades

now playing:

robben ford
hard to please

:D

jacknife737
09-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Funny enough, i got to meet Elizabeth May during my university's model parliament. She is a very bitter and unpleasant women, she gave a brief speech in which all she did was attack Harper, it seemed very inappropriate for the setting, not to mention she actually seemed to get upset over some light jabs at the Green Party from other participants.

NickyNineDoors
09-19-2008, 01:04 PM
elizabeth may is a maverick with her own party, which may give her the experience she needs to be a liberal candidate

the only thing for sure:

if you don't exercise your right to vote
you can't exercise your right to bitch

now playing:

aerosmith ft. run dmc
walk this way

Italia311
09-19-2008, 01:24 PM
I just got back to Canada and it seems to me...Dion is gettin raped in the media and poles. I like his green shift but I feel like has dug himself into a hole. Most Canadians are worried about the economy (rightfully so, everything seems to be the shits these days..Italy is no better) and Harper is harping on Dion raising taxes...scaring people. I don't buy it. He is too worried about Alberta and cares more about being in power then he does about Canadians.

Elizabeth May is American no? I think she was born there. I like the green party to an extent, we need some sort of pressure and voice within federal politics to promote environmental sustainability. I can't stand Jack Layton, all he does is bitch about the other parties and I guess it's easy for him to do so considering his party will never amount to anything on the federal level so ya...

I wanna know...what these people are going to do for Ontario. Personally, I don't care for the rest of Canada. We need an Ontario party like the Bloc Quebecois. If I was a Quebecor, I would vote Bloc. I'm not a separatist by any means, but at least they "try" and look out for the best interest of their province and people. Harper constantly ignores the needs of Ontarians and dislikes Toronto (the biggest city in Canada). Fuck...if it wasn't for Ontario...where would this country be right now?

I don't know who i'll vote for...traditionally I've voted Liberal...but I am undecided at this point.

NickyNineDoors
09-22-2008, 07:02 PM
harper calls an election because the ndp, bloc, liberals could throw their lot together to bring him down
if harper does not get a majority, the ndp, bloc, liberals, oh ya..green party could throw their lot together to bring him down
if myron floren or walter ostenak ran for the accordian party of the niagara region, they'd probably get votes

now playing:

she's too phat for me polka

:eek:

Italia311
09-25-2008, 11:20 PM
you...are...worst.

Llamas
09-26-2008, 10:34 AM
My friend just moved to Canada at the beginning of the month, and was really confused by the whole decision to suddenly have an election. What is the election for? PM? Why would they just do it out of nowhere? Is nobody's position secure, that you can just get someone else voted in whenever?

jacknife737
09-26-2008, 11:14 AM
My friend just moved to Canada at the beginning of the month, and was really confused by the whole decision to suddenly have an election. What is the election for? PM? Why would they just do it out of nowhere? Is nobody's position secure, that you can just get someone else voted in whenever?

Ok, essentially, Harper is trying to destroy the Liberal Party financially. The Liberals have dominated the Canadian electorate for the past 100 years or so, however for the first time in years the Conservatives have the advantage. A few Prime Ministers ago, Jean Chretien instituted finance reforms to election Canada (ie limiting the amount that one can donate to a party), thus screwing over the Liberals, who had relied on a small number of wealthy donors to finance their campaigns. The Conservatives have a larger "base" to draw money from, so they were not as affected by the reforms. As well, the Liberal Party has recently held a rather expensive leadership campaign, and is still having problems paying off the debts.

Harper and the conservatives are in a great financial position, the Liberals currently have an unpopular leader with Dion (which is the result of a total media fabrication), Harper is also relatively popular, and with a minority government, an election was bound to happen sooner or later.

Italia311
09-26-2008, 11:15 AM
The Prime Minister can call an election whenever he wants I think. Also, he never had the majority of seats within the House of Commons (think thats what its called) so at any time the other 3 parties occupying seats can force him into calling an election by voting against a major "bill".

Someone correct me if I am wrong. Anyone from England want to confirm this...its the exact same system. Canadian politics is quite boring. Our current PM is a...hrmz....idiot.

jacknife737
09-26-2008, 11:29 AM
The Prime Minister can call an election whenever he wants I think. Also, he never had the majority of seats within the House of Commons (think thats what its called) so at any time the other 3 parties occupying seats can force him into calling an election by voting against a major "bill".

Someone correct me if I am wrong. Anyone from England want to confirm this...its the exact same system. Canadian politics is quite boring. Our current PM is a...hrmz....idiot.

Yeah, that is the "technical" reason for why the election is being held, as he said, the PM can call an election whenever he wants. Also, i'm quite sure England has the same system, since ours is more or less directly based off theirs.

Italia311
10-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Fuck...French debate tonight...Can people in Ontario vote for Duceppe? haahha

jacknife737
10-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Elizabeth May is coming off as really unpleasant(which isn't a surprise), the part were she was supposed to "compliment" Harper was just cringe worthy. Harper and Dion seem to be holding their own, but i doubt there is going to be a major voter shift due to this debate.

Edit: hmm, i'd have to give this one to Harper; Dion (although he performed quite well) and Layton failed to really to dislodge Harper. I hope Dion attacks more during the English debate.

Edit 2: Duceppe also came off quite well, i'm hoping he's going to bleed Conservative support in Quebec.

jacknife737
10-02-2008, 12:08 PM
I've never been happier that a bunch of les Quebecois disagree with me.

TORONTO — Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion clearly prevailed in the French-language leaders' debate, according to viewers surveyed by Ipsos Reid immediately after Wednesday's telecast.

The online poll found 40 per cent of voters said Mr. Dion won the debate, compared with 24 per cent who gave the contest to Bloc Québécois Leader Gilles Duceppe. Conservative Leader Stephen Harper came in at 16 per cent, NDP Leader Jack Layton at 11 per cent, and Green Party Leader Elizabeth May at just 1 per cent.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081002.welxndionlead1002/BNStory/politics/home

NickyNineDoors
10-02-2008, 03:50 PM
hmm
I see what you had to say about elizabeth may
she delights in attacking harper

vote
october 14th

ps:
change the world
a vote for harper
is another bullet for the taliban

jacknife737
10-03-2008, 01:29 AM
I thought Layton had some great one-liners tonight.

I really think Dion managed to win the English debate. Unfortunately i doubt enough Canadians (well, at least Ontario voters) will return to the libs, at least not for this election, but i'm confident that Harper lost any chance of a majority tonight. I hope i don't have to eat those words.

ZeQuebecois
10-04-2008, 09:47 AM
I've watched a good part of the french debate, but almost completely missed the english one. I'm not old enough to vote, so my political knowledge isn't pretty develloped, but here's how I perceived the debate.
I actually agree with the fact that Duceppe and Dion won that french part. What I liked about Dion told more of the projects the libs wanted to realize. I found that the Greens and the NPD didn't give us what are they gonna do, but what has been done. Duceppe was the most aggressive of all, personnally I would've picked him as winner. Harper hadn't the chance to talk about his platform, the others didn't give him time to answer.

Anyway here in Quebec, Harper won't be majoritary I think.

P.S.: There was a pretty funny question asked to them in the Leadership part: Tell us something nice about the person sat at your left.

It seemed to be hard for some of them to answer:rolleyes:

10 days left. Any chances of turnover?

NickyNineDoors
10-10-2008, 03:56 PM
if I was presented with an envelope containing $50,000cdn or the opportunity for a chance at becomming the mayor of Toronto I think I'd.......

what do you think ?

:eek:

jacknife737
10-11-2008, 01:17 PM
So i think at this point, Harper really fucked up by calling the race now. The crisis in the US is killing him at the polls. Libs have pulled within 4% (31-35 % in favor of the cons), i'd also love to see Jack Layton's smug little face after all that blabbering about the NDP becoming the next official opposition. Although it is still unlikely, Dion still has a chance of pulling this off....

NickyNineDoors
10-12-2008, 07:40 AM
hmmm.....

25billion to bail out canadian banks.....

now playing

pat travers

whipping post

NickyNineDoors
10-15-2008, 08:47 AM
the results are in

nothing changed

hurrry:

this space will sell out !

Bipolar Bear
10-16-2008, 01:32 AM
I'd be seriously stumped if I had to vote for one of the parties this election.
Conservatives - Fuck no
Liberals - Lol...
Bloc Quebecois - No...just...no...

Let's all vote Green Party lmao

jacknife737
10-16-2008, 03:13 AM
Well, obviously not the outcome i had hoped for, quite a waste off several hundred million dollars for virtually the same results. The question of who "won" is tricky.

Now obviously Harper "won" in the traditional sense, but he was clearly aiming for a majority, and many conservative supporters i know are clearly unhappy with the result of Tuesday night.

The NDP have nothing to celebrate about, sure they got a greater percentage of the vote (which had more to do with dissatisfaction with Dion then support for Layton), but failed to get any closer to the position of the Official Opposition in Parliament.

The Liberals are definitely losers, they not only lost well over 20 seats, but also well over 800 000 votes. They now face to potential of another (expensive) leadership campaign, when they are still paying off the debts from the previous one, let alone their debts from the federal election. Although on the bright side, they did regain some support in Quebec, so it seems as if the affects of the scandal are wearing off.

The Bloc have no real reason to complain, they only lost one seat, despite what had appeared to be a real threat from the Cons at the start of the election.

Italia311
10-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Justin Trudeau won in his riding! A Bloc riding too. Fuck...when is that party gonna die?

ZeQuebecois
10-19-2008, 11:21 AM
This was a big waste of time and money that could've went to the one who need it...:mad:

Tired_Of_You
10-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Justin Trudeau won in his riding! A Bloc riding too. Fuck...when is that party gonna die?
Weren't you the one who, during the elections, said that if you were a Quebecer, you'd vote for the Bloc? Unless you're talking about the Liberals? Anyway, it was a Bloc riding, but for only about 1-2 years. Before that, it was always the PLC there.

Besides, I agree with all of you. Big waste of money. Hundreds of millions for the same result... how ridiculus.

HornyPope
10-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Weren't you the one who, during the elections, said that if you were a Quebecer, you'd vote for the Bloc? Unless you're talking about the Liberals? Anyway, it was a Bloc riding, but for only about 1-2 years. Before that, it was always the PLC there.

Besides, I agree with all of you. Big waste of money. Hundreds of millions for the same result... how ridiculus.

That's why I don't vote. I saved somebody the trouble to count my insignifcant ballot.

jacknife737
12-01-2008, 04:24 PM
So with less then two months in power, Harper, acting like an aggorgant little dink, is on the verge of losing power. I knew as soon as he introduced that measure about doing away with subsidies for political parties, he'd cooked his goose. Although, i must say, i was getting used to the Harper government, as long as he governed like a centrist; but he continued to act like he had a majority in the House. I doubt this new coalition will last the full two years, but it's just cool that i'm living through a historical milestone in Canadian political history. So bring on the European-esq coalition government; i for one welcome our new Liberal and NDP overlords.

OTTAWA — The leaders of the three opposition parties presented their plan to topple Prime Minister Stephen Harper's minority government at a press conference in Ottawa late Monday afternoon.
The leaders of the Liberal Party, the New Democratic Party and the Bloc Québécois publicly signed a coaltion accord and sent a letter to Governor-General Michaëlle Jean saying the opposition has lost confidence in the Conservatives.
The proposed coalition government between the Liberals and the New Democratic Party would last until June of 2011, but the Bloc is only pledging support for 18 months.
Under the plan, Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion would become prime minister until May, when his successor would take over.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081201.wPOLcoalition1201/BNStory/politics/home

LosingStreak
12-01-2008, 05:16 PM
ooohhh! facinating!