PDA

View Full Version : Oh Hey I Get to Vote!

wheelchairman
09-03-2008, 11:06 AM
As some of you may know I am a member of the privileged ranks of the American citizenry. This in itself has many benefits, I have an American passport, when I get my driver's license, it will cost less than 1% of the total price of a driver's license in Denmark, and finally I get to practice the time honored tradition of voting.

The democratic process of voting was invented by Leonardo Da Vinci during the renaissance. Those were exciting times, political turmoil was rife, Italy was breaking up into citystates and some of those city states probably talked about democracy or something. It was there that Leonardo Da Vince in cooperation with Raphaello Voteo (hence the word 'vote') came up with the concept of citizen participation in government through putting little slips of paper into large holes.

Anyways enough of me showing off my knowledge on political history. I've been able to vote since I was 18, and funnily enough I turned 18 just before John Kerry suffered a crushing defeat to W. and co. Me being the intelligent young communist that I was, voted for the green party for some reason that I no longer really remember. (I guess I didn't find John Kerry that inspiring either).

Anyways the time that elapsed between that and this election was enough to have my vote audited. Yes votes can be audited. And my county (Lane County) decided that me being able to vote while not having registered physically in the state of Oregon (and not having a domicile, also not being 18 years of age while living there) meant that I really shouldn't be allowed to vote. So that right was stricken from me. Naturally I went and tried to find out as much as I could about how to get my right to vote back. I asked my mom. Who then asked people who she knows in the American embassy (including some expert on voting or something) and the situation generally looked grim. After mailing my lane county office explaining my situation (and proving that I had lived 14 years in Lane County, just not while I was 18), I was hoping to get this all cleared up.

They were quick to respond and six months later (after I mailed them twice) I got a reply saying that I was not allowed to vote.

Total bummer.

Fortunately I got an email today saying that due to clearer guidelines from the State Elections Office, I am actually permitted to vote and should resend them my FPCA form.

Sweet I can't wait to vote for Obama.

I think a lesson about freedom was learned here today. You don't know how much something is worth to you, until you've lost it. That they may take my right to vote, but they'll never take my freedom. That sometimes true love is just around the corner.

*Noodles*
09-03-2008, 02:37 PM
That's great news,..

At least you can now cast your political vote and hope that enough people will agree for your chosen party... Seems stupid that they argued over the fact you could, but I know little of the American voting system.

Little_Miss_1565
09-03-2008, 02:56 PM
I think a lesson about freedom was learned here today. You don't know how much something is worth to you, until you've lost it. That they may take my right to vote, but they'll never take my freedom. That sometimes true love is just around the corner.

Inspiring! I'm glad the ranks of good will have one more vote.

HornyPope
09-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Congratulations, but I don't understand why did you even bother. Hussein is going to win this anyways.

Jebus
09-03-2008, 05:31 PM
I thought the ancient Greece did it first.

Llamas
09-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Congratulations, but I don't understand why did you even bother. Hussein is going to win this anyways.

A girl I work with said yesterday, "If Obama doesn't win the election, it's rigged. I don't know anyone who's not voting for him." She must be right- he's getting votes from across the ocean!

But seriously, that's an interesting story, Per. I'm glad it worked out in your favor, but mostly cause you're voting for the good guy ;)

IamSam
09-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Happily living in a foreign land yet you still want to vote?

T-6005
09-03-2008, 08:44 PM
I skipped my last national election. Between Segolene Royal and Sarkozy I'm pretty glad I did.

wheelchairman
09-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Happily living in a foreign land yet you still want to vote?
Well yeah. I almost never vote in the local elections, but in the federal ones, yes.

I skipped my last national election. Between Segolene Royal and Sarkozy I'm pretty glad I did.
But French politics is just generally weird. Sarkozy is hilarious though.

*Noodles*
09-04-2008, 02:46 AM
The French did accidently vote the nazi's back in a few years ago,..

Pretty weird indeed!