PDA

View Full Version : ahhh crap

JoY
09-05-2008, 07:41 PM
so I just figured out that half of the male friends I have do the upper class spoiled rich kids drug & somehow I want revenge for them being so incredibly lame & letting me think they were even remotely cool. I don't know how many of you ever been in a situation like this? though I know it's pretty typical for Amsterdam, I can't imagine no one knows anyone who does coke on a somewhat regular basis, or just occasionally. it just sucks. I can't believe I even feel bummed out over it.

edit; I can't believe I didn't NOTICE it. it feels like they fucking betrayed me some way or another. geez man, it's so LAME. you're so laaaame.

Sunny
09-05-2008, 08:19 PM
ha. um. yeah. a lot of people i know do it. i guess i've become pretty desensitized to the sight of it. however, i was pretty surprised to find a friend of mine goes on a "coke diet" every few months or so - basically a 2 week long coke binge in order to lose weight. she claims it does wonders for the figure. chriiiiist.

i thought hard drugs were incredibly difficult to come by in Amsterdam.. am i nuts?

KHWHD
09-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Damn, that sucks. I personally haven't been around a lot of people that have done drugs when I was younger. I think I've smoked weed maybe 4-5 times in my life. Even then, I didn't really enjoy it... cept once last Christmas when my sister stayed the night and "babysat" me... haha. Was incredible, but not something I would do again for a very long time. Never touched any of the big time heavy shit, and never would. I don't drink either. I smoke cigarettes is it... for 20 years, damn I'm old.

But I can understand how you feel betrayed. It's understandable. But believe me, you're probably better off not having them as friends. Could be better for you in the long run.. ie. police and stuff. *hugs*

JoY
09-05-2008, 08:40 PM
sunny, if you study here & you're a member of the fraternity/sorority I'm in, it's pretty easy to get your own personal dealer who brings it by your house. it's just ridiculous. edit; a coke diet???? *raises eyebrow* that's insane.

one of the guys' girlfriend is a friend of mine, except well, he's a better friend of mine than the girlfriend is. but of course I'm not supposed to tell her about this, but how am I still going to play field hockey with her, be in the same team, have a drink & not say anything? I mean, I can do it, I could do it, but do I want to do it?? I don't know, man. like I said, he's a better friend of mine than she is & do I want to waste that? do I want to get in the middle of it anyway?

like I just said to Josh; I just hope I can remember not to hug them next time I see them, because I still can't picture the whole thing, & I have to keep in mind to give them an evil stare & a slap in the face. they don't even need to know what it's for. or hey, well, maybe they do. damn. I just hate the drugscene here in Amsterdam. it swallows about everyone...

& somehow it just makes me ubermad that my boyfriend walked in on them snorting lines. he's friends with the lot of them & the poor innocent thing is totally crushed over it.

lost_nvrfound
09-05-2008, 08:45 PM
That sucks big time Joy. I was reading this magazine article and it said "Half of all highschoolers in America will try cocaine by the time they graduate" and I was like "WTF? No way.."

Then I was talking to my aunt (who is a cop now) and she agreed with it. She did it in highschool! And I keep finding people I know who do it. It sucks... I just don't get it...

JoY
09-05-2008, 08:47 PM
damn, is coke *that* easily available, even in America?

:(

Sunny
09-05-2008, 08:56 PM
dunno about America as a whole, but if you go to college in New York? ha. ahaa. it's everywhere. same for the suburbs (ok, upper class white suburbs). it's pretty ridiculous actually.

Smash_Returns
09-05-2008, 09:03 PM
dunno about America as a whole, but if you go to college in New York? ha. ahaa. it's everywhere. same for the suburbs (ok, upper class white suburbs). it's pretty ridiculous actually.

You mean the widely popularized stereotypical-suburbs? Yeah the shits everywhere there. My cousins live in one of 'em with a CFO for a mom and an anesthetist for a dad. They told me that they know a ton of people who openly sell meth/coke/etc..

However, in the 'burbs like those, either you do 'em or don't (thankfully, my cousins don't) but it's such a part of life there, that no one is really surprised by it's presence.

Then you have the slums, where it's also everywhere, but you pretty much need to kill for them, because everyone is so poor.

Hell, even up here in population: 8000 Hickshit, MN you see meth and pot everywhere. And, the town's growing (actually closer to 10,000 now) and the number of druggies, townies, stoners, etc... increases dramatically.

Ryder1234
09-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Why coke? That's lame, they should at least be smokeing weed or something.

JoY
09-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Shank, the policy here towards cocaine use isn't quite as.. punishing as it is over there. couldn't really find a better word. I'm mainly just pissed off, that they would do that.

I know a couple of them do it time to time here & there. I guess because I never wanted anything to do with it, I never got involved & they kept me out of it. somehow, every time I hear about it, I forget about it afterwards & just hang out with them again like nothing happened. hey, I'm not there, I don't see it, I don't see them do it, I'm forgetful.... this time, especially seeing the situation, I just want to make sure somehow they'll be punished in whatever way. my boyfriend's totally disappointed & angry to the max, which makes me a sad bunny. they're on a weekend with their fraternity section with will be new members.

yes, for the record, the wannabe members you toy around with for a few weeks to make sure they really really really want to be in. I know some of the guys can get pretty aggressive after snorting cocaine & I just don't want them there, in that game of toying around with those 18 year olds. it's just irresponsible. they're responsible for those guys & they're SNORTING COCAINE.

KHWHD
09-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Shank, the policy here towards cocaine use isn't quite as.. punishing as it is over there. couldn't really find a better word. I'm mainly just pissed off, that they would do that.

I know a couple of them do it time to time here & there. I guess because I never wanted anything to do with it, I never got involved & they kept me out of it. somehow, every time I hear about it, I forget about it afterwards & just hang out with them again like nothing happened. hey, I'm not there, I don't see it, I don't see them do it, I'm forgetful.... this time, especially seeing the situation, I just want to make sure somehow they'll be punished in whatever way. my boyfriend's totally disappointed & angry to the max, which makes me a sad bunny. they're on a weekend with their fraternity section with will be new members.

yes, for the record, the wannabe members you toy around with for a few weeks to make sure they really really really want to be in. I know some of the guys can get pretty aggressive after snorting cocaine & I just don't want them there, in that game of toying around with those 18 year olds. enough people lose themselves in that game & it wouldn't be the first time someone gets hurt, or even fucking dies. yes, fraternity members losing themself in the game of bashing new members has cost some kids their lives. & whatever, that won't happen (I sure hope not), but it's just irresponsible. they're responsible for those guys & they're SNORTING COCAINE.

Damn, that is scary. I know I've heard quite a bit about hazing in around North America in Fraternities. But it's more of a humiliating thing than heavy heavy drugs like that. But a bunch of people have died because of it. I really do hope that things work out with your friends, and hope that one day they'll realize what they're doing to themselves and to their friends. Good luck. :)

JoY
09-05-2008, 09:22 PM
You mean the widely popularized stereotypical-suburbs? Yeah the shits everywhere there. My cousins live in one of 'em with a CFO for a mom and an anesthetist for a dad. They told me that they know a ton of people who openly sell meth/coke/etc..

However, in the 'burbs like those, either you do 'em or don't (thankfully, my cousins don't) but it's such a part of life there, that no one is really surprised by it's presence.

Then you have the slums, where it's also everywhere, but you pretty much need to kill for them, because everyone is so poor.

Hell, even up here in population: 8000 Hickshit, MN you see meth and pot everywhere. And, the town's growing (actually closer to 10,000 now) and the number of druggies, townies, stoners, etc... increases dramatically.

hey, it's not so much that I'm surprised. my two best friends have done it, one friend has even dealed it, there's plenty of it everywhere. it just stings every time you find out another person in your group of friends does it too. I can't entirely explain why, either. maybe because I thought they were cool, while coke is incredibly uncool. maybe because they sneaked behind my back with the stuff, but actually I don't mind that so much. maybe because it's such a conscious decision, that's just wrong. you just have certain expectations of friends & it's disappointing.

Why coke? That's lame, they should at least be smokeing weed or something.

boy, what are you saying. you're saying that like weed is the hardcore stuff, that will blow you off your feet, that cocaine can't ever compare to. first of all, weed is lame in a hippy way, but for some very enjoyable & pretty harmless in comparison to other drugs. if you know how to balance & control, fine. coke.. I'm not so okay with, as you might notice. it's highly addictive upper class spoiled rich kids shit, that's expensive & gives you feelings of extreme power, while you're a pathetic little shrimp in reality.

lost_nvrfound
09-05-2008, 09:26 PM
damn, is coke *that* easily available, even in America?

:(

yep... Its the worst at private schools

The main private school in my hometown has like 90% of its students using coke. same goes for the others, though i hear less about them. I lived in a very nice neighborhood and one night the place gets shot up because it turns out that my nextdoor neighbor had started a popular meth lab and angered a lot of people. I hate drugs!

Its amazing the number of kids who were supposed to be in my graduating year who ended up in rehab rather than highschool.

Smash_Returns
09-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Yeah, in my town, the police recieved several "tips" about meth labs, and did raids on every abandoned lot in town, and in 85% of them found either an active meth lab or evidence of an old one.

It's scary stuff, and you barely notice it if you aren't directly connected. It's amazing what they can get away with. I don't think it's right.

JoY
09-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Damn, that is scary. I know I've heard quite a bit about hazing in around North America in Fraternities. But it's more of a humiliating thing than heavy heavy drugs like that. But a bunch of people have died because of it. I really do hope that things work out with your friends, and hope that one day they'll realize what they're doing to themselves and to their friends. Good luck. :)

the drugs are not for the wannabe members, though there are wannabe members with their own dealer, but they usually never join my boyfriend's fraternity section. his fraternity section used to be pretty drugfree, until well, some time ago. the point is that the members are taking the drugs, while they are on a weekend where they intend to, as you said, humiliate those teens. things have gone wrong in the past with the humiliating of wannabe members, or fetuses, as they're called. I don't want to get into details, but you just carry a certain responsibility. they do a whole lot to be a member, they take a whole lot to be a member & when they're trying to become a member, they're under your care & responsibility. you can't lose yourself in that game, you have to remember what you're doing & what it is for. you have to guard the rules, everyone's limits, so you don't cross the line. you just can not snort cocaine while dealing with that.

I can not believe how crappy I just made my own fraternity/sorority sound in one single topic.

lost_nvrfound
09-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Yeah, in my town, the police recieved several "tips" about meth labs, and did raids on every abandoned lot in town, and in 85% of them found either an active meth lab or evidence of an old one.

It's scary stuff, and you barely notice it if you aren't directly connected. It's amazing what they can get away with. I don't think it's right.

we could smell my neighbors... those things are rank

Smash_Returns
09-05-2008, 09:38 PM
And, these wannabe's sometime revere the frat boys as, like, gods, and you know they'll do the drugs, just to fit in.

randman21
09-05-2008, 09:39 PM
It reminds me of how I felt when I was about 13-14 and my best friend started smoking those "cigars," called Black and Mild, then pot, cigarettes (respectively worse, in my opinion, not that I'm judging), after we'd always planned to stay clean. He sells cocaine (le crack) now, but probably not using, although I haven't spoken with him in 4 years. It's like you're co-role models and seeing your friend do that lets you down big time.

But, yeah, I'd go out on a limb and say that it's everywhere in the US. There's so much money to be made in selling it that it doesn't take much to get it in a town near you.

lost_nvrfound
09-05-2008, 09:39 PM
I'd like to reiterate...

I HATE drugs! With a passion! They fuck up lives. I'd rather die

lost_nvrfound
09-05-2008, 09:41 PM
It reminds me of how I felt when I was about 13-14 and my best friend started smoking those "cigars," called Black and Mild, then pot, cigarettes (respectively worse, in my opinion, not that I'm judging), after we'd always planned to stay clean. He sells cocaine now, but probably not using, although I haven't spoken with him in 4 years. It's like you're co-role models and seeing your friend do that lets you down big time.

But, yeah, I'd go out on a limb and say that it's everywhere in the US. There's so much money to be made in selling it that it doesn't take much to get it in a town near you.

Same thing happened with a friend of mine. Occasionally I'll talk to her, but not very often because she's so damn screwed up.

Smash_Returns
09-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Well, really, what the hell do you say to them?

Do you just walk up to them and say, "Hey, How's the drugs?"

You just can't talk to them anymore.

I think everyone here's heard "What Happened To You?"

JoY
09-05-2008, 09:44 PM
I had a roommate who grew weed, but actually that was pretty hilarious. until the stench spread through the house. he also tried to make opium from papaver & grow shrooms, but that didn't turn out to be very successful. my best friend had this "summerjob" in high school that miraculously payed more than a basic income. turned out that was in a lab.

I know strange people, I swear. both of them don't even use drugs.

but once again, just to make sure; these boys will not allow the "fetuses", or wannabe's to take drugs. not only would that be insane & irresponsible to the max (& come on, they're not THAT bad, they don't convince people into doing it, seriously), it'd be too damn expensive. duh.

Smash_Returns
09-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Ehh... the fetuses would probably be willing to even pay for the shit. I've seen some desperate people trying to get into fraternities.

KHWHD
09-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Ehh... the fetuses would probably be willing to even pay for the shit. I've seen some desperate people trying to get into fraternities.

Yep, I've seen it too here in Canada... sadly.

Smash_Returns
09-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Yep, I've seen it too here in Canada... sadly.

It's everywhere, world-wide. No culture is without it. It's sad how demeaning people can be, there just always has to be that "red-headed step-child" mentality when dealing with people who can't be themselves, and feel so much need to fit in.

JoY
09-05-2008, 09:53 PM
no, you don't get it. these boys are alright, meaning they're not like totally rotten or screwed up, they just happen to use fucking cocaine. sure, I hate it, but they're not going to convince others it's cool to do it & then make those wannabe's/whatevers snort some too. they're not entirely immoral. whatever, I don't care what those wannabe's would do for it, it's just that the guys won't allow it. & for what it's worth, there are still guys like my boyfriend aswell in that fraternity section, meaning there are plenty of guys there right now who think it's extremely uncool to do cocaine. if they'd catch a wannabe snort a line, he'd be kicked out within seconds.

edit; my god, these are still friends of my boyfriend & me we're discussing. don't make the story worse than it already is. you guys try to turn it into one insane gigantic drugfest. it is how it is. my boyfriend caught them doing it, basically right now is a REALLY bad time to do that shit, he's disappointed & angry, I'm disappointed & angry, the end. you guys & your creepy fantasies, you creep me out.

Smash_Returns
09-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Well, at least they aren't dragging the wannabes into the shit with them. Shows they aren't completely stupid AND irrisponsible. Just really fucking stupid. (No offense meant)

KHWHD
09-05-2008, 10:00 PM
no, you don't get it. these boys are alright, meaning they're not like totally rotten or screwed up, they just happen to use fucking cocaine. sure, I hate it, but they're not going to convince others it's cool to do it & then make those wannabe's/whatevers snort some too. whatever, I don't care what those wannabe's would do for it, it's just that the guys won't allow it. & for what it's worth, there are still guys like my boyfriend aswell in that fraternity section, meaning there are plenty of guys there right now who think it's extremely uncool to do cocaine. if they'd catch a wannabe snort a line, he'd be kicked out within seconds.

Wow, that's nuts! I can't say I've ever seen anyone in my entire life snort a line or shoot themselves up with H. I'd be scared shitless I think. :eek:

JoY
09-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Wow, that's nuts! I can't say I've ever seen anyone in my entire life snort a line or shoot themselves up with H. I'd be scared shitless I think. :eek:

I once saw a hobo use his syringe as a spoon to eat a danone. you know, those little fruityoghurts.

Smash_Returns
09-05-2008, 10:09 PM
I once saw a hobo use his syringe as a spoon to eat a danone. you know, those little fruityoghurts.

Now THAT is hardcore.

KHWHD
09-05-2008, 10:11 PM

DAMN! That's just.... wow. :eek: :confused:

Smash_Returns
09-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Wait, don't those yogurts come in like, a little envelope, or tube, or whatever. I thought you just sqeezed it out and ate it.

randman21
09-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Wait, don't those yogurts come in like, a little envelope, or tube, or whatever. I thought you just sqeezed it out and ate it.
That's Go-Gurt. Regular Danone (or Danon, as we call it) yogurts are like any other.

Smash_Returns
09-05-2008, 10:27 PM
That's Go-Gurt. Regular Danone (or Danon, as we call it) yogurts are like any other.

Ahh.. I see, I didn't recognize the strange spelling.

Little_Miss_1565
09-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Buh. Sucks, Joy. Like Sunny said, it's everyfuckingwhere in New York. A ton of people in my old band were addicts and it sucked, because coke might make you feel like you're on top of the world and can do no wrong and are generally awesome, but to everyone else you're just acting like a complete fucking toolbag. So that is why I do not understand coke.

bighead384
09-05-2008, 10:44 PM
I think about 90 percent of people that get addicted to drugs just want attention and sympathy. You ever see those shirts that say "rehab is the new black"? That's pretty much how I feel about it. Regardless of the exact situation, there is always that point where you can go "Ok...I've now done (insert drug here) 5 times this week. It's pretty safe to say that I'm at risk of becoming addicted and shouldn't do (insert drug here) next week."

Fucking duh.

People fucking piss me off so much sometimes.

Little_Miss_1565
09-05-2008, 10:55 PM
The addicts I've known felt absolutely no shame about their addiction. They quit because they finally realized that they had been at it for so hard and so long that it would likely kill them. So, yeah.

Oxygene
09-06-2008, 12:35 AM
That sucks Joy I'm sorry...

What I don't get is why anyone would wanna do coke in a place where weed hash and shrooms are legal.

That should be enough, esp on a regular basis.

I don't get people who do a lot of drugs and esp not a lot of heavy shit like coke.

Oxygene
09-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Buh. Sucks, Joy. Like Sunny said, it's everyfuckingwhere in New York. A ton of people in my old band were addicts and it sucked, because coke might make you feel like you're on top of the world and can do no wrong and are generally awesome, but to everyone else you're just acting like a complete fucking toolbag. So that is why I do not understand coke.

My new favorite word! =)

mrconeman
09-06-2008, 04:14 AM
I know plenty of people taking plenty of drugs, and the only one I object to is Coke. For various reasons, but mostly because it's a fucking useless waste of *lots* of money. I hate people actually on it, I can't be around them, so fucking jittery and the constant sniffing to clear their nose, oh and thinking their some fucking big shot because they afforded it. Assholes.

Of course I've never been around Heroin junkies, pretty sure I'd object to that too.

JoY
09-06-2008, 04:30 AM

oh my god. I suddenly feel so, so very old.

1565; yeah, definitely sucks & I totally agree. like I said somewhere; it's highly addictive upper class spoiled rich kids shit, that's expensive & gives you feelings of extreme power, while you're a pathetic little shrimp in reality. so got you, sista.

one time a guy I know threatened to get into a huge fistfight with this other guy he was apparently very angry at, while on coke. come ON, seriously, the boy is as tall as *just* to reach my shoulder. it's pathetic. we had to press him against the wall with his back & in the mean time his arms & legs were flying everywhere; "wanna get that motherfucker, let me go, gonna get that motherfucker, grr".

lol@mr. cone. you've got a nice way of putting it. coke makes people such assholes.

I'm still kind of worried about those wannabe's. until my boyfriend let's me know all 7 of them are fine, I just don't trust the situation.

Sunny
09-06-2008, 06:35 AM
ugh. this whole thread just reminds me how much i hate coked up people. nothing worse than a 30 year old loser thinking he's the hottest smartest most eloquent thing on earth. with a coke booger hanging out of his nose.

that being said, i hate being around people on any kind of drug aside from weed and a reasonable amount of alcohol. people on X are fucking annoying, people on shrooms are fucking annoying... you get the drift.

bella, i hope everyone turns out fine. it's a crappy situation nonetheless. i'm freaked out by coke like you wouldn't believe for a number of reasons, so, um. yeah.

I had a roommate who grew weed, but actually that was pretty hilarious. until the stench spread through the house.

why in god's name would you grow weed in amsterdam? unless you're like... really into gardening? in which case... you could grow something less smelly?

wheelchairman
09-06-2008, 08:15 AM
I don't think there is an actual problem in this thread Bella. I think you're making an issue out of nothing. If your boyfriend doesn't like them doing coke he has several options.

1. Don't hang around them when they are doing coke.
2. Don't hang around them at all.
3. Hang around and preach.

What's with all the drama? A little drunk?

JoY
09-06-2008, 08:53 AM
ugh. this whole thread just reminds me how much i hate coked up people. nothing worse than a 30 year old loser thinking he's the hottest smartest most eloquent thing on earth. with a coke booger hanging out of his nose.

that being said, i hate being around people on any kind of drug aside from weed and a reasonable amount of alcohol. people on X are fucking annoying, people on shrooms are fucking annoying... you get the drift.

bella, i hope everyone turns out fine. it's a crappy situation nonetheless. i'm freaked out by coke like you wouldn't believe for a number of reasons, so, um. yeah.

why in god's name would you grow weed in amsterdam? unless you're like... really into gardening? in which case... you could grow something less smelly?
it gives me the creeps too. ugh. I can't believe it's even so easily available over there. & that so many people use that stuff! in my understanding the policies are so strict, you'd say you don't want to risk your ass for something that is as annoying for your surrounding as cocaine.

he was planning on selling the stuff, which would have been successful if his mom hadn't found out & pulled all of his plants out of their pots.

great that you'd be so rational about it if it were your friends, Per. :] I have my reasons for kind of freaking out like I did. & after hearing something like this, I wanted to know just how common it is. after all, I think it's pretty shocking. plus, the context of the whole thing is pretty much why I think it's even more retarded than normally. not to say, way more retarded.
edit; but blah, I kinda do get your point. yesterday it was late at night, I came home from a great dinner & that's when I heard. it kept me thinking & thinking, I couldn't sleep & the more I said about it, the worse it got in my head. still, I think it sucks majorly. I really don't get why you're acting like I don't have the right to be like; "ahhh crap" when friends I've known for about 4 to 5 years pull stuff like this. I used words like "irresponsible", "disappointing" & "lame". frankly I don't see which word isn't applicable here.

T-6005
09-06-2008, 10:08 AM
It does suck, but my reaction to this sort of thing tends to be a disinterested, c'est la vie shrug. My dad was doing a ton of coke when I went back home this summer and it got him into all sorts of shit because of which he is now jobless, but he made it clear years ago that he can't be reasoned with, so meh.

It's the same deal with one of my friends - he's a cool guy but I can't be around him when he's high on something, and I know he won't listen, so I just don't bother.

wheelchairman
09-06-2008, 10:17 AM
But if you've known them for 4 or 5 years, and only just found out that they do coke, then what's different really? It wouldn't bother me if it was my friends so I wouldn't use that option unless they're use got in the way of everything else.

I know people who do coke, but none of them regularly. Only on the weekends or whatever. And even then not that often. But then again maybe there are people who do it a lot and I simply don't know about it.

JoY
09-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Thi -damn, sorry about your dad. with your experience I can kinda see why your reaction to these things would be relatively indifferent now, but I'll just say you're a damn strong guy for it.

so with your friend, you kind of block it out?

the stupid thing is, I suppose that's what I do normally, which is why I just don't get why I'm affected by it at all. on some level I knew of one or two of the guys, that they've done coke in the past. & then I hear about it on a night like last night, with the setting just being entirely wrong - I don't know. like they couldn't have chosen a better moment, or like they couldn't help themselves.

Sunny
09-06-2008, 10:22 AM
it gives me the creeps too. ugh. I can't believe it's even so easily available over there. & that so many people use that stuff! in my understanding the policies are so strict, you'd say you don't want to risk your ass for something that is as annoying for your surrounding as cocaine.

he was planning on selling the stuff, which would have been successful if his mom hadn't found out & pulled all of his plants out of their pots.

great that you'd be so rational about it if it were your friends, Per. :] I have my reasons for kind of freaking out like I did. & after hearing something like this, I wanted to know just how common it is. after all, I think it's pretty shocking. plus, the context of the whole thing is pretty much why I think it's even more retarded than normally. not to say, way more retarded.
edit; but blah, I kinda do get your point. yesterday it was late at night, I came home from a great dinner & that's when I heard. it kept me thinking & thinking, I couldn't sleep & the more I said about it, the worse it got in my head. still, I think it sucks majorly. I really don't get why you're acting like I don't have the right to be like; "ahhh crap" when friends I've known for about 4 to 5 years pull stuff like this. I used words like "irresponsible", "disappointing" & "lame". frankly I don't see which word isn't applicable here.

i generally agree with you. when i find out someone i know starts doing coke or X, or popping pills or making a habit of hallucinogen trips, i get a little weirded out. i think my attitude towards stuff like pot use is actually more liberal than that of many people on this board, but when it comes to hard drugs or prescription shit.. *shudder* it's scary. i don't care if my close friends smoke or drink as long as it's done responsibly, but i would be concerned if they started doing other stuff, since it can go downhill quickly.

it's not a matter of "not be around them when they're doing it", Per - honestly, that's a pretty dumb suggestion. it's a legitimate reason for concern. have you been around people who do it a lot? do you know what it looks like when people overdo it and go totally coke psycho?
as far as i'm concerned, any situation where there's blow - regardless of whether i'm there to witness it or not - is a potentially dangerous situation.

Steal
09-06-2008, 10:24 AM
I am extremely uncomfortable around people who do drugs. Does that make me weird, or a wuss? I've never even thought about doing it and it would bother me if my friends were...

Little_Miss_1565
09-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Sunny, I think Joy is right to be freaked out about her friends blowing rails, but I agree with Per too. I hated being around my bandmates when they were high and I just avoided it.

Yes, everyone should be concerned that someone is being so reckless not only with themselves but with everyone around them should they get a bad batch cut with something nasty, or go totally coke psycho. But the thing about drugs and addicts and especially drugs that make you feel so inflated like coke does, nothing you do or say is going to make them change their mind. They have to hit bottom on their own and come to that decision themselves. On occasion, if it came up, I did tell my friend with the worst problem that I was worried for him and that I would refuse to bury them. But you can't keep harping on it, or all you're going to do is drive that friend away.

Sunny
09-06-2008, 10:44 AM
oh definitely. i don't think saying anything would necessarily help, since, as you mentioned, people on coke are so euphoric and convinced of their own indestructibility that nothing you could say would get through. this especially goes for people who performed well while high... they're like "but it helps me! look what i can do! *sniff*". so yeah, nagging or harping on it isn't going to do anything.

my point is that saying "well you could just choose not to be around it" is a pretty... limited way of looking at the issue.

Little_Miss_1565
09-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Yes, it is limited. But when you have no control over the actions of your friend, the only thing you can do is take care of your own situation. If you feel uncomfortable or threatened, you gotta bail.

JoY
09-06-2008, 11:10 AM
sunny, my attitude towards pot is completely different too. sure, you shouldn't do it too much & it sure ain't healthy, but friends of mine who smoke pot do it for different reasons, do it responsibly & aren't so much at risk of getting addicted to the habbit. they do it to relax every now & then. none of them has ever gone overboard with it. for instance, a good friend of mine can't drink a glass of wine without getting drunk & feeling sick, so when everyone has a glass of alcohol, she just smokes a bit of pot to have that effect of relaxation. hey, if it works for her like a fine glass of wine, alrighty then, do your thing. coke.. is obviously not for relaxation & there's a reasonable risk of getting addicted.. yeah, it definitely scares me. as you said, things can go downhill pretty quickly.

But if you've known them for 4 or 5 years, and only just found out that they do coke, then what's different really? It wouldn't bother me if it was my friends so I wouldn't use that option unless they're use got in the way of everything else.

I know people who do coke, but none of them regularly. Only on the weekends or whatever. And even then not that often. But then again maybe there are people who do it a lot and I simply don't know about it.

I hope you realise what age-group we're talking about. they haven't been doing coke all those years that we've known each other. besides that, it's not like I know my friends so badly, I wouldn't know if they'd been doing coke for over 3 years.

I just found out about the persons I knew to have tried it, that they do it more regularly now than they did before. that more & more friends of the guys, who originally used coke on occasion, are getting involved in this. some being 18 years old, which you probably don't find disturbing, but I do. that because their little special group is growing so fast, they start using it more often together, with each other.

yes, it's reason for concern for me. (was looking for that word, thanks a bunch, sunny)

these are perfectly great, friendly, sweet guys - at least the guys among them I hang out with - but I've seen at least one of them on coke, who just gets so violent, it gets hard to recognise him. in a situation where it's basically the purpose to give new members a hard time, I think it's reason for concern.

JoY
09-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Yes, everyone should be concerned that someone is being so reckless not only with themselves but with everyone around them should they get a bad batch cut with something nasty, or go totally coke psycho. But the thing about drugs and addicts and especially drugs that make you feel so inflated like coke does, nothing you do or say is going to make them change their mind. They have to hit bottom on their own and come to that decision themselves. On occasion, if it came up, I did tell my friend with the worst problem that I was worried for him and that I would refuse to bury them. But you can't keep harping on it, or all you're going to do is drive that friend away.

totally agreed. it's not like I'm going to step in & say; "hey, you better not do that, drugs are baddd" & all that stuff. it just creeps me out that so many people do it & that even more people start doing it. that my friends do it. of course that's what creeps me out the most. & yeah, I care. not in a way that I feel like the whole world is collapsing, but it bothers me. of course I avoid it, or I would've known better, or they would've let me know, or whatever. they know I'd avoid it, so they don't bother me with it. at the same time I find that scary too, because the only people they really tell about this & share this with, are people who do it too.

WebDudette
09-06-2008, 11:22 AM
A couple of my friends have tried it once or twice and decided they didn't like it, another girl I know did it for a while then recently quit. I say 'wow, I can't believe so and so did coke.' and that is about all.

Then again, I know lots of kids who do lots of drugs, not friends with a lot of them though.

lost_nvrfound
09-06-2008, 09:04 PM
totally agreed. it's not like I'm going to step in & say; "hey, you better not do that, drugs are baddd" & all that stuff. it just creeps me out that so many people do it & that even more people start doing it. that my friends do it. of course that's what creeps me out the most. & yeah, I care. not in a way that I feel like the whole world is collapsing, but it bothers me. of course I avoid it, or I would've known better, or they would've let me know, or whatever. they know I'd avoid it, so they don't bother me with it. at the same time I find that scary too, because the only people they really tell about this & share this with, are people who do it too.

I totally understand how you feel. Pot doesn't bother me so long as they don't let it get out of hand. But its like, you think you've got this happy little world, where people do right and everyone is reasonably straight-edge, and then all of a sudden you learn otherwise. And its like, it starts to get to you and you wonder if maybe there are other people you know that do it. I know people who use a variety of drugs, its not like we're going to hang out a lot and be best friends or anything like that, but its a known quantity so it doesn't get to me too badly. You expect it and you deal. But you think you've got clean friends, and then it turns out they're not, and it causes discomfort.

Does that make sense at all?

JoY
09-07-2008, 04:56 AM
yeah, it does. :] thanks for your translation. ;p

that's by the way also exactly the reason I don't stress over the fact I know my two best friends have used it. one pretty much told me, the other.. for some reason I just KNOW. but it's fine, because they're cool & smart & I know they won't get too crazy with it & have grown up in the mean time.

just when my boyfriend called & said it was a room full of people doing it, I was like; what people?! & he mentioned like quite a bunch of my friends & I thought; wow, wtf, he does that? him too? & him? an effect that kept going on for a while, because FAR more people than I realised do it. scaaary shizzle.

Duskygrin
09-07-2008, 08:07 AM
My ex "forgot" to tell me he snorted coke behind my back.

The lameness of it is beyond expression. Seriously, it's bad enough he smokes weed like a dweeb without his resorting to new "kicks", like E and cocaine. I guess I just picked the wrong kind of guy, and it's becoming an (annoying) habit with me apparently. Anyway, it's over, he can shove it with his mediocre bums and hippies he keeps for friends. And next time he calls me up at 1am I'll just hang up with a "go snort coke, darling". Pff. Yeah guess I'm fucked off over his weakness. And he's going on 28 already.

lost_nvrfound
09-07-2008, 09:12 AM
geeze duskygrin, that sucks majorly.

and yeah, joy, I can totally relate.

Duskygrin
09-07-2008, 02:26 PM
No worries, I already recovered.

Shit happens, you learn from your mistakes, etc. And the chrome-plated lining is that I now have more time for 1) piano practice 2) a social life.

Cock Joke
09-07-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm with you, Joy...

Pepsi's the way to go

Bipolar Bear
09-07-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm with you, Joy...

Pepsi's the way to go

I think you're missing the point.

Coca Cola tastes way better.

KHWHD
09-07-2008, 09:38 PM
I think you're missing the point.

Coca Cola tastes way better.

If you like battery acid. :p

Bipolar Bear
09-07-2008, 09:39 PM
If you like battery acid. :p

Woah is there really battery acid in there :eek:

I guess it just adds to the taste :cool:

WebDudette
09-07-2008, 09:42 PM
I drank a single can of Coke today and it gave me a headache for the rest of the day. I guess that what I get for not drinking soda in months.

Ryder1234
09-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Mmm don't like coke much. Or Pepsi.

JoY
09-09-2008, 09:37 AM
My ex "forgot" to tell me he snorted coke behind my back.

The lameness of it is beyond expression. Seriously, it's bad enough he smokes weed like a dweeb without his resorting to new "kicks", like E and cocaine. I guess I just picked the wrong kind of guy, and it's becoming an (annoying) habit with me apparently. Anyway, it's over, he can shove it with his mediocre bums and hippies he keeps for friends. And next time he calls me up at 1am I'll just hang up with a "go snort coke, darling". Pff. Yeah guess I'm fucked off over his weakness. And he's going on 28 already.

dude, that's got to suck. I'm glad you made a decision that was good for you & that you still support.

I'm with you, Joy...

Pepsi's the way to go
not really. in that area, the area of soda's, I'm very much pro coke.

Offspring-Junkie
09-09-2008, 10:43 AM
I barely know someone who was on rehab because of magic mushrooms. His best friend committed suicide while in rehab. Drugs seem very surreal to me. To me drugs just exist in movies. "Traffic" and "Blow" are entertaining movies about drugs.
Well, at last I just want to say something to Joy:
I don't know what smart guys do, but I know what they don't do. Drugs.

JoY
09-09-2008, 03:26 PM
then you haven't witnessed the ability of a smart guy to waste talent.

Sunny
09-09-2008, 03:53 PM
I don't know what smart guys do, but I know what they don't do. Drugs.

now that's a really, really stupid thing to say.

doing drugs might not be a smart thing to do, but plenty of smart people do drugs.

Rag Doll
09-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah, that sucks. A close friend of mine in high school did a lot of drugs. No one knew he did anything more than pot until he od'd on heroin and died at 16. Hard drugs are very prevalent in my town. I live in a very affluent white suburb near NYC and a bunch of low-income urban areas. The drugs are originally purchased there....sometimes in large quantities and then resold in my town. However, it's a huge "dirty little secret" that no one really publicly talks about.

JoY
09-10-2008, 01:55 AM
holy shit, Sam, that's terrible. I'm sorry about that. weird thing to say, I'm sorry, but yeah.

the "dirty little secret"-part scares me. like you described, you don't really know what's going on with who, until something goes terribly wrong.

like a guy I knew from medicine, who's also a member of the fraternity/sorority; he od'd on pills, coke & alcohol over a year ago. it was at a party, a carnaval. his friends were on drugs too, they weren't paying attention to him & didn't find him until a few hours later, when other people had already called an ambulance & he was already dead. they didn't even know it was the last time they saw him, that he was dying somewhere on his own, with a group of strangers around him who didn't know what he'd taken & how serious the situation was.

I know some of my friends do it, but no one talks about it. in most cases, I wouldn't know any of them do coke, if it wasn't for people walking in on them. it's something they do together, privately, among each other. they pretty much form an exclusive little group. exactly like you said, it's their "dirty little secret". it's like a virus that spreads; people who find out get curious, want to give it a try, join the exclusive little group a couple of times & before you know it, they disappear from parties & slip away, to find a private space to do coke together.