PDA

View Full Version : Just For the Fans?

rise_and_fall
09-06-2008, 09:56 AM
I've just been thinking about this delay of the release of a 2nd single from RAFRAG, and I've been thinking maybe Dexter and the guys aren't really after commericial success. We know they made this album for the fans which is obvious cause they didn't include any catchy pop songs. Maybe we're not going to see an official release of another 2 or 3 singles? I think this album's just for the fans.

mrs_hollandova
09-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Yes, its sad... :mad: But better than nothing :) I hope this album is not the last one :eek:

KHWHD
09-06-2008, 10:22 AM
It's still pretty early yet to say that I think. It's only been less than 3 months since the release of RAFRAG. Give it time my friend. :)

Steal
09-06-2008, 10:23 AM
They included catchy pop songs...Half-Truism, A Lot Like Me, Kristy...All pop. Good songs, too. But I doubt the singles aren't coming out because they don't want commercial success. Probably just because it's not ready yet.

r0Lo
09-06-2008, 10:24 AM
It Makes sense.. but i don't think so..

I think they just made it, probably when they had to pick the songs for the album they had a "hit that" or a "Why don't you.. " but the songs they picked were better.

You'll never know..

jacknife737
09-06-2008, 01:07 PM
RAFRAG has actually been getting a fair amount of promotion, ie Hammerhead was used in Madden 09, You're Gonna Go Far, Kid was just used in an episode of 90210. The delay of the announcement for the second single most likely has to do with tour date announcements.

Rutegard
09-06-2008, 02:37 PM
everything they do is for us :D

aaawww

ThunderPX
09-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Dexter said in an interview he doesn't care about money because he has plenty of it, but he does want a lot of fans.

Keep 'em Seperated
09-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Hope they don't release Kristy as a single tbh. They don't need MTV, aim for the rock charts. Hammerhead for example is doing better than YGGFK and has been in the top 3 here in NZ for half a zillion weeks now. Its ahead of Metallica and the Foo Fighters too. YGGFK is down in 11th. Release Trust In You or Alot Like Me imo, both would skyrocket straight to the top. Kristy would just give my friends (only the ones that listen to Disturbed etc and think its real metal) more ammunition to tell me that Offspring are are crappy pop band. Haven't gotten round to shoving The Noose in their ears yet.

Every album is for the fans, but I think they'll release more singles off this one. Every band would want to have lots of singles so everyone can hear their sound, its only natural. Don't think this will be the last either. I think they're contracted for one more and besides, any sort of final album would be noticed immediately because they'd probably have a big long beast of a record with all sorts of stuff from all over their career, the new one just doesn't sound like a finish up album to me, bar the title. RAFRAG is the second coming of The Offspring as they're back into making music after five years.

Alex101
09-06-2008, 06:46 PM
RAFRAG has been well-recieved, despite lack of touring through support. But I'm sure maybe in the next few weeks, months or something, there will be a real 2nd single, and it will likely be YGGFK. But who knows?

KHWHD
09-06-2008, 06:51 PM
I think what a lot of people don't realize is the meaning of and the words behind Kristy. If they understood more what abuse is about or having gone through it (I haven't been through it, but my Mom did) then they'd truly appreciate the song like I and others do. Just my opinion. It's a very heartfelt song.

bighead384
09-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Hope they don't release Kristy as a single tbh. They don't need MTV, aim for the rock charts. Hammerhead for example is doing better than YGGFK and has been in the top 3 here in NZ for half a zillion weeks now. Its ahead of Metallica and the Foo Fighters too. YGGFK is down in 11th.

You're information isn't quite right. It's a number 9 and still rising very fast on the Billboard Charts. It might hit a wall around number 5 since there's no video and high competition, but we'll see.

rlplaymaker
09-06-2008, 08:36 PM
i think its pretty safe to assume that YGGFK is the second single. however, a song that i think would do well on the charts is Takes Me Nowhere....its got energy and its catchy. oh well. we'll see. But YGGFK is doing fairly well here in Chicago.

lost_nvrfound
09-06-2008, 09:12 PM
I really do think that this album has done pretty well for itself. To be honest, I think A Lot Like Me would be a terrible song for radio. It just doesn't have that Offspring kick that their singles in the past have had. Hammerhead was a very well received song. My friend Katie even liked it and she does not like the Offspring whatsoever.

This album doesn't quite have the explosive power that Smash and Amercana. But in this day and age, its hard.

With as much play as Hammerhead and YGGFK have gotten elsewhere than the radio, I think this album will just continue to gain speed.

EDIT: I hate how articles in magazines and whatnot keep saying that they are bulking up their plans for touring and crap like that to make up for the fact that they aren't making as much in royalties because of downloading and bs like that. They've been trying to give their albums away for 8 years. I mean, seriously....

Static_Martyr
09-06-2008, 09:26 PM
^That's one of the things I actually respect the Offspring for a lot: Not jumping on the "downloading music is bad, mmkay?" bandwagon. They know they can still make bookoos of money without worrying about every little person who pays for an album; they know that somebody has to buy it somewhere, or else it wouldn't get out. And ultimately, most importantly, they know that it's not about how many albums they sell, it's about how many people hear them.

Keep 'em Seperated
09-06-2008, 09:31 PM
You're information isn't quite right. It's a number 9 and still rising very fast on the Billboard Charts. It might hit a wall around number 5 since there's no video and high competition, but we'll see.

You misread me. I was talking about the NZ rock charts, where YGGFK is 11-12 (unsure on exact possie) and Hammerhead at number 2 behind the Living Ends song White Noise.

Keep 'em Seperated
09-06-2008, 09:36 PM
I think what a lot of people don't realize is the meaning of and the words behind Kristy. If they understood more what abuse is about or having gone through it (I haven't been through it, but my Mom did) then they'd truly appreciate the song like I and others do. Just my opinion. It's a very heartfelt song.

I love the lyrics but instrumentally it doesn't float my boat. Would have liked it more if it had been completely acoustic imo, would've made it awesome.

lost_nvrfound
09-06-2008, 09:53 PM

This song speaks really strongly to me, because of some things that happened in highschool. But I also see why thats the exact reason people wouldn't like it.

The song is about how the signs are all there, and people see what's happening, but nobody does a goddamn thing about it. Kind of like the Kitty Genovese(sp?) case. If you're not familiar, wiki should have a lot of info.

That is so fucking true about the real world and I've made a vow to myself that I will never let anything like that slip by. Nobody deserves to be looked over like that. Its amazing how hard people work to ignore the signs. Even close friends..........

Thats why this song speaks to me so strongly. It points out this issue.

Budzy
09-07-2008, 02:28 AM
This won't be their last album, it just can't. They're gonna do one more, its gonna be fuckin fast and it'll be epic, there'll be no poppy songs to sell the album, just fast songs with attitude and heaps of swearing in the chorus's. Then they can happily retire and I can happily quench my thirst for more offspring. :D

As for kristy, I know this song probably strikes some people harder than what it does for me, but i really hope it doesn't become a single, it's so dull and boring.

drummerbecca
09-07-2008, 02:55 AM
The song is about how the signs are all there, and people see what's happening, but nobody does a goddamn thing about it.

I think with the song "Kristy...", it was more a case of not knowing what to do about it, rather than choosing not to do anything about it. Or maybe even it was a realisation later in life of what was going on back then. All the signs were there but as was said in the song, he was just a kid so didn't know. I'm not having a go or anything, just sharing my take on it.

rise_and_fall
09-07-2008, 03:57 AM
The label Columbia makes their money in album sales, the band makes the majority of its money from touring and shows. I just researched and found out that the Foo Fighters after releasing their 1st single, the pretender, took 12 weeks to release the next single.

Rutegard
09-07-2008, 04:03 AM
WOW

i didn't know that...interesting...

Stylie
09-07-2008, 05:52 AM
I've just been thinking about this delay of the release of a 2nd single from RAFRAG, and I've been thinking maybe Dexter and the guys aren't really after commericial success. We know they made this album for the fans which is obvious cause they didn't include any catchy pop songs. Maybe we're not going to see an official release of another 2 or 3 singles? I think this album's just for the fans.

Pft, bullshit. Yeah, maybe they made it for the fans, but I don't think that they have nothing against getting more (fans). They do this 'caus it's fun, and of course they think it's fun to have new fans too.

And yeah, it is actually some radio-friendly and cool poppy/catchy-songs on this album, and I love it. I hope they're gonna realese at least three singles, yeaaah. :D

lost_nvrfound
09-07-2008, 09:00 AM
I think with the song "Kristy...", it was more a case of not knowing what to do about it, rather than choosing not to do anything about it. Or maybe even it was a realisation later in life of what was going on back then. All the signs were there but as was said in the song, he was just a kid so didn't know. I'm not having a go or anything, just sharing my take on it.

i think its kind of an "intentionally being unaware" thing. People would rather not think about that type of thing, so they don't see it when its right in front of them.

Either way, I don't think it'd be a good song for the radio either.

BigFish
09-07-2008, 09:49 PM
They included catchy pop songs...Half-Truism, A Lot Like Me, Kristy...All pop. Good songs, too. But I doubt the singles aren't coming out because they don't want commercial success. Probably just because it's not ready yet.

Okay...please tell me this is a joke. Half-Truism and A Lot Like Me are nowhere near pop...You honestly have no idea about music so please don't make ignorant comments like this. Kristy, Are You Doing Okay? isn't really poppy either. Just because it's softer and using acoustics does not make it a pop song.

It really makes me angry when people classify songs like that when they don't deserve to be so please don't do it again.

jacknife737
09-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Okay...please tell me this is a joke. Half-Truism and A Lot Like Me are nowhere near pop...You honestly have no idea about music so please don't make ignorant comments like this. Kristy, Are You Doing Okay? isn't really poppy either. Just because it's softer and using acoustics does not make it a pop song.

It really makes me angry when people classify songs like that when they don't deserve to be so please don't do it again.

"Pop" shouldn't be considered a derogatory term. As well, Im afraid that i disagree with you; as i feel as if most of RAFRAG, like a lot of the band's work has a strong pop influence.

Desperado
09-07-2008, 10:40 PM

Hate to break it to you, but "pop" refers to a certain type of music, not just radio BS. Half-Truism is as pop as it gets. And there's nothing wrong with that.

bighead384
09-07-2008, 10:44 PM
The label Columbia makes their money in album sales, the band makes the majority of its money from touring and shows. I just researched and found out that the Foo Fighters after releasing their 1st single, the pretender, took 12 weeks to release the next single.

It's a little different when the single is an enormous hit (even on pop radio stations) that stays at number one for like 8 weeks...

Buller
09-08-2008, 01:12 AM
Hate to break it to you, but "pop" refers to a certain type of music, not just radio BS. Half-Truism is as pop as it gets. And there's nothing wrong with that.

If half-truism is as pop as it gets, then what about Britney spears, kylie minogue, Justin timberlake, backstreet boys ect ect?

Just because its catchy and melodic doesnt make it pop..

Rutegard
09-08-2008, 01:21 AM
If half-truism is as pop as it gets, then what about Britney spears, kylie minogue, Justin timberlake, backstreet boys ect ect?

Just because its catchy and melodic doesnt make it pop..

exactly! and lot of ppl don't get it right...i mean...that's what happens with the offspring...their sons are melodic and catchy but i don't really think they are pop!!at all!!

Oxygene
09-08-2008, 01:32 AM
I wasn't gonna join in on this, because it's a pointless argument, but who ever thinks half-truism is pop in any sort of way, should go get his head examined!

On me, I'm paying...

Desperado
09-08-2008, 12:34 PM
I wasn't gonna join in on this, because it's a pointless argument, but who ever thinks half-truism is pop in any sort of way, should go get his head examined!

On me, I'm paying...

Half-Truism is pop. Self Esteem is pop. A Lot Like Me is pop. Doesn't mean they are bad.

Rutegard
09-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Half-Truism is pop. Self Esteem is pop. A Lot Like Me is pop. Doesn't mean they are bad.

couldn't disagree more...but hey....opinions are all that matter, right?

Stylie
09-08-2008, 01:16 PM

It depends on what you mean with pop. The genre 'pop', then no, absolutely not. Pop as popular, then yes.
The Offspring is generally in the 'punk rock' and 'alternative rock' genres.

lost_nvrfound
09-08-2008, 01:56 PM
The Offspring always have some very radio friendly songs on their albums. Those catchy pop-punk ones that everyone can't help but like. Pop as in popular music. A lot of their songs are more in tune with what the general public would like, so I'd count them as pop in some ways. Not pop like Simple Plan or Good Charlotte, but pop in their own way.

bighead384
09-08-2008, 03:06 PM

I don't know for sure what your all about here, but I know that people on these boards just say things like this in spite of punk.

True, there are elements of pop in these songs. But I think it's pretty safe to say that Rock and Punk are better descriptions of Half-Truism.

dff_punk
09-08-2008, 03:28 PM
You are all wrong. Half-Truism is post-nintendo acid jazzcore;)

jacknife737
09-08-2008, 06:59 PM
True, there are elements of pop in these songs. But I think it's pretty safe to say that Rock and Punk are better descriptions of Half-Truism.

I agree with this, but like you said there are elements of pop within it, and it should not be considered a derogatory term.

iPunk247
09-08-2008, 08:22 PM
everything they do is for us :D

aaawww

aren..t we all super duper special and all like spoiled bratz and awesomely rad and like aaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwww !!!! xDDDD

Americana98
09-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Nobody's saying that these songs are "pop music," like Britney, etc...there's a difference between "pop rock" and "pop music."

The Offspring have always dabbled (since the release of Ignition) in an accessible pop sound, but they have never become a "pop rock band" along the lines of Good Charlotte.

That said, they do have many radio-friendly songs on their CD's and have had them since Smash.

Buller
09-09-2008, 12:14 AM
exactly! and lot of ppl don't get it right...i mean...that's what happens with the offspring...their sons are melodic and catchy but i don't really think they are pop!!at all!!

I'm pretty sure Dexter only has a daughter.. hehe

Rutegard
09-09-2008, 02:57 AM
aren..t we all super duper special and all like spoiled bratz and awesomely rad and like aaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwww !!!! xDDDD

and teddy bears too :D :D

Rutegard
09-09-2008, 02:59 AM
I'm pretty sure Dexter only has a daughter.. hehe

he used to have a son too but now i adopted him :D
wanna talk to hm? :p