PDA

View Full Version : Music taste 'linked' to personality

Blitzkrieg Bop
09-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I found this today ... what is your opinion?

A study by a psychology professor has found links between personality and music taste.
The Heriot-Watt university professor Adrian North said: "We have always suspected a link between music taste and personality. This is the first time that we've been able to look at it in real detail. No-one has ever done this on this scale before.
"People do actually define themselves through music and relate to other people through it but we haven't known in detail how music is connected to identity."
According to the study heavy metal fans are gentle, indie music listeners lack self-esteem and lovers of pop music are uncreative.
He found that country and western fans are hard-working, rap fans outgoing and jazz and classical music supporters are innovative and bursting with self-confidence.
Contrary to the stereotype, heavy metal fans are gentle and at ease with themselves but they tend not to be hardworking.
Those who listen to heavy metal and classical music share character traits of being creative, at ease and introverted.
But classical music fans have high self-esteem while heavy rock fans lack self-belief.
More than 36,000 people around the globe took part in the survey, the biggest of its type ever conducted.
They were asked to rate 104 musical styles in the study and were also questioned on aspects of their personality.

Sunny
09-07-2008, 09:55 AM

i listen to punk, industrial, synthpop, indie, garage, classical, rap, reggae AND country. what does that make me?

coke_a_holic
09-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Yeah, seriously, I listen to nearly every genre of music, and two of them in that study completely negate each other (indie rock and jazz).

Psychology is such a bullshit science. It's interesting as hell, but it's complete shit.

Oxygene
09-07-2008, 09:59 AM

i listen to punk, industrial, synthpop, indie, garage, classical, rap, reggae AND country. what does that make me?

a strawberry bitchcake? :)

Rooster
09-07-2008, 10:21 AM
*a major facepalm*

Nothing more to say.

lost_nvrfound
09-07-2008, 10:25 AM
i guess this study was more aimed at those who mostly focus on one genre

medi01
09-07-2008, 10:45 AM
i saw this. i thought it was bollocks.

WebDudette
09-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Obviously there is some form of connection between taste in music and personality. But this is soooo far from being accurate.

Jakebert
09-07-2008, 11:49 AM
I do find that people who say things like "I LISTEN TO EVERYTHING...EXCEPT COUNTRY AND RAP" usually don't have personalities, so maybe there is some truth to this.

bighead384
09-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Obviously there is some form of connection between taste in music and personality. But this is soooo far from being accurate.

I think lyrics have something to do with it. In a lot of genres, there are similar beliefs/values/themes present in the lyrics of many artists in that genre. So people who relate to the lyrics can more easily relate to that genre. I think it makes more sense when you take that into account.

Endymion
09-07-2008, 12:45 PM
I do find that people who say things like "I LISTEN TO EVERYTHING...EXCEPT COUNTRY AND RAP" usually don't have personalities, so maybe there is some truth to this.

i listen to everything except country and rap :(

T-6005
09-07-2008, 12:49 PM
That might just be because the majority of people who say that actually mean that they listen to the well-known rock and pop songs of the last 10 years.

JohnnyNemesis
09-07-2008, 12:51 PM
I think lyrics have something to do with it. In a lot of genres, there are similar beliefs/values/themes present in the lyrics of many artists in that genre. So people who relate to the lyrics can more easily relate to that genre. I think it makes more sense when you take that into account.

I think this is a good point, and I used to feel the same way, but I don't know if it applies to everyone. Personally, I get into music more because I'm interested in cool sounds and where they come from/how they are made (which is why I'm into electronic music, trackers, and circuit bending), so that's always top priority for me. BUT, when I hear lyrics that I feel I can relate to, it's like all bets are off and I care about nothing but that.

Psychology is such a bullshit science.

I only lol'd because this is sorta what Scientologists say about psychiatry.

WebDudette
09-07-2008, 01:01 PM
I listen to a lot of genres and can relate to several of them lyrics wise. Though I can see how, as a generalization, this might be accurate.

dff_punk
09-07-2008, 01:05 PM

Thank you for describing my music taste. Fuck my personality.

Endymion
09-07-2008, 01:28 PM
i was lying before anyway! i listen to everything except rap, country, hiphop, r&b, and blues.

killer_queen
09-07-2008, 02:32 PM
I actually use that "I listen to everything" line when I talk to people I don't know very well. Because there are lots of people who love to say "Oh, Band X isn't progressive death black metal, it's hardcoregrindcoretrash metal, you got it all wrong". Ugh.

Endymion
09-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?
Claire: Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western.

Sunny
09-07-2008, 03:07 PM
I actually use that "I listen to everything" line when I talk to people I don't know very well. Because there are lots of people who love to say "Oh, Band X isn't progressive death black metal, it's hardcoregrindcoretrash metal, you got it all wrong". Ugh.

yep. same here.
i actually don't get how saying "i listen to everything" is so annoying. it's basically a way of saying "i like tons of different genres, don't make me list them all". sure, i don't listen to literally *everything*, and i'm sure there are genres i've never heard of, but come on now. would you rather me list every single genre i listen to? from bad brains to elton john?

Andy
09-07-2008, 03:11 PM

You're an introverted extrovert who is kind of hard-working and occasionally creative.

dff_punk
09-07-2008, 03:12 PM
I hate it when a girl says to me that "she listens to everything" but that is not like she has some sophisticated over-the-top music taste, she just listens to every commercial radio song she is hearing. But when she says that to me, I am all like comfortable and stuff.

Betty
09-07-2008, 03:29 PM
yep. same here.
i actually don't get how saying "i listen to everything" is so annoying. it's basically a way of saying "i like tons of different genres, don't make me list them all". sure, i don't listen to literally *everything*, and i'm sure there are genres i've never heard of, but come on now. would you rather me list every single genre i listen to? from bad brains to elton john?

You must know the answer to this Magdalena. There are two types of people who say they listen to everything. Those who DO actually listen to everything, or almost everything, and who appreciate and enjoy the diversity of music. And those who listen to whatever is on the radio or whatever other people decide to play for them because they really have no preference. It's not so much that they dislike stuff, it's just that they don't really especially like stuff either. Or, their "liking" it is dictated by whether they've heard it enough times for them to have acquired a vague familiarity with it.

I like probably an artist or song across almost every genre, but I tell people that I mostly listen to "rock 'n' roll" with a soft spot for poppy indie rock, country rock, and wussy classic rock (ie. like Fleetwood Mac, and not Led Zeppelin).

Endymion
09-07-2008, 04:27 PM
i prefer to name genres that don't make any sense. "what do you listen to?" "oh, a lot of zolo and new complexity"

Betty
09-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Yeah, and I hate when you do that. Or when you use all these mathy/sciencey/computery or otherwise very specialized terms.

And *I* am actually somewhat knowledgeable about music and science, and I still have no idea what you're talking about.

Don't you know that you're not supposed to rub it in that you know more than people, Ryan?

lost_nvrfound
09-07-2008, 06:21 PM
There seems to be such a stigma with saying you listen to everything. So lately, I've taken to saying I listen to not-rap-country-hiphop-r&b-techno...
for the most part, anything else is cool.

Conspiracyof1000
09-07-2008, 06:24 PM
I can listen to nearly anything. That doesn't mean I will. Country is the one genre I cannot listen to. Oddly enough, I used to hate rap, hip-hop, and the like, but now I can tolerate it.

I don't see how music shapes your personality because I had low self-esteem and I was introverted long before I started listening to music.

coke_a_holic
09-07-2008, 06:24 PM
So you're big on the no-wave scene then?

Saying you like everything but _____ is really never true, ever. There's always something that you never knew you hated waiting to be discovered. Like grindcore! Everyone (but Endymion) hates grindcore. I find it generally okay, but kinda boring for the most part. Lots of noise and fury, not enough of... I don't know what.

EDIT: oh,

Yeah, I know, but I think that everyone's so vastly different from everyone else that there's no way to accurately come up with psychological principles that are always true or even usually true. Some notions in the field make a lot of sense to me and alienate others, some are the other way around. Basically, if it's not 100% true always, it's a bullshit science, and I refuse to believe otherwise :mad: :mad:

Oh, and all hail Xenu.

WebDudette
09-07-2008, 06:43 PM
One genre that I've found that I honestly dislike is metal and a lot of genres close to metal.

I can't think of one metal band that I actually like.

edit: a lot of country too, but there are some exceptions.

KHWHD
09-07-2008, 07:22 PM
I hate C&W and Gospel music. :eek:

randman21
09-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I like a lot of genres, but lately, since I've been driving trucks at night, I've acquired a taste for country, folk, and especially '80s rock ' roll and pop. EDIT: I'm all about Jesus n stuff, as Shank said, but one genre I can barely listen to is gospel.

I think the kind of music I listen to has had an effect on the things I do, but not necessarily my personality. I won't go into detail, but that's how I see it.

Endymion
09-07-2008, 07:28 PM
i don't really listen to grindcore anymore. and when i did, i mostly only listened to stuff with a lot of synthesizers in it. and i preferred it on the punk side rather than the metal side. like the locust or an albatross or the post office gals!

and michelle, i intentionally chose genres that didn't betray what they sound like. zolo is basically funk/new-wave with some punk and no-wave influence. new complexity is a contemporary school of classical music which is difficult to define, but generally involves music written so that the performer has a great deal of difficulty performing.

Sunny
09-07-2008, 07:29 PM
You must know the answer to this Magdalena. There are two types of people who say they listen to everything. Those who DO actually listen to everything, or almost everything, and who appreciate and enjoy the diversity of music. And those who listen to whatever is on the radio or whatever other people decide to play for them because they really have no preference.

yeah... i just find it strange that the "person who listens to everything" seems to be so universally reviled. ;D

Shank reminded me, i love gospel.

nieh
09-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Yeah, and I hate when you do that. Or when you use all these mathy/sciencey/computery or otherwise very specialized terms.

And *I* am actually somewhat knowledgeable about music and science, and I still have no idea what you're talking about.

Don't you know that you're not supposed to rub it in that you know more than people, Ryan?

*I* know what zolo music is, you're just uncool.

KHWHD
09-07-2008, 07:31 PM
yeah... i just find it strange that the "person who listens to everything" seems to be so universally reviled. ;D

Shank reminded me, i love gospel.

Better than Country music... lol.

Sunny
09-07-2008, 07:36 PM
i wouldn't say that. then again, i think country music is pretty awesome, from johnny cash to hellbilly stuff like hank williams III.

KHWHD
09-07-2008, 07:38 PM
i wouldn't say that. then again, i think country music is pretty awesome, from johnny cash to hellbilly stuff like hank williams III.

To each their own I guess. I used to listen to country way back when, when I used to party every weekend (when I was like 19-20) all the time. It's ALL I listened to. But now I cringe everytime I hear it.

Ninty Man
09-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Well, I listen punk, hard rock, metal, symphonic metal, trash metal, rock, glam metal, soundtracks and classic music, reggae, Gorillaz- yes, they have their own genre- rock in spanish, ... WHAT DOES THAT MEANS?

WebDudette
09-07-2008, 08:55 PM
That means your taste isn't as varied as you think.

Jakebert
09-07-2008, 09:12 PM

Well yeah, I think most people do that, even music snobs like myself. Describing music taste to someone you don't know very well can be a massive pain in the ass, and since I know I have a tendancy to be pretentious when it comes to music taste, I like to avoid that discussion with people that don't realize that I'm honestly not a douchebag.

I hate it when a girl says to me that "she listens to everything" but that is not like she has some sophisticated over-the-top music taste, she just listens to every commercial radio song she is hearing. But when she says that to me, I am all like comfortable and stuff.

Yeah, that's how I see it. I think music snobs who are extremely picky actually have more varied taste in music than people that say that they like everything, because I think someone who is more of a music snob would be more open to stuff that sounds different than what they usually listen to.

So you're big on the no-wave scene then?

Saying you like everything but _____ is really never true, ever. There's always something that you never knew you hated waiting to be discovered. Like grindcore! Everyone (but Endymion) hates grindcore. I find it generally okay, but kinda boring for the most part. Lots of noise and fury, not enough of... I don't know what.

I <3 no wave. Just throwing that out there.

Anyway, yeah the first point is true. I hate to admit it, but I used to be anti-country, but now I listen to tons of country like Doc Watson or William Elliott Whitmore, for example. Don't get me wrong, I still hate hate hate mainstream country, but I no longer write off the whole genre.

Also, on a somewhat related note, am I the only one that gets annoyed when people list their favorite bands as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the Beatles, Johnny Cash, and Nirvana? I like all of those artists and stuff, but for some reason that bothers me because it's just so easy to say you like those bands. I dunno if I'm wording that in a way that actually explains it, but there you go.

Desperado
09-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Also, on a somewhat related note, am I the only one that gets annoyed when people list their favorite bands as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the Beatles, Johnny Cash, and Nirvana? I like all of those artists and stuff, but for some reason that bothers me because it's just so easy to say you like those bands. I dunno if I'm wording that in a way that actually explains it, but there you go.

It only annoys me when it's a young kid or a teenager. For the love of god, those bands are forty years old! You're a teenager, start listening to your own shit! Except Nirvana though. I'm a teenager myself, and while I know that the Beatles and Zeppelin were great musicians it creeps me out whenever I listen to them because my dad likes them. :\

Jakebert
09-07-2008, 09:18 PM
It only annoys me when it's a young kid or a teenager. For the love of god, those bands are forty years old! You're a teenager, start listening to your own shit! Except Nirvana though. I'm a teenager myself, and while I know that the Beatles and Zeppelin were great musicians it creeps me out whenever I listen to them because my dad likes them. :\

What? That makes no sense at all.

WebDudette
09-07-2008, 09:24 PM
You are almost as bad as those kids. Great music is great music. One of my favorite bands is Queen. One of my other favorites? Depeche Mode. That David Bowie guy? Yeah he is great. Nick Drake? I <3<3<3<3 him. Tom Waits? Most talented singer songwriter ever.

It just that most kids who do say stuff like that aren't actually that infatuated, and then to add to that they wear the t-shirts like a badge of honor. However, I know a kid who knows all of Zeppelins and can play several of them on the guitar, thats different.

What makes Nirvana different?

The Division Bell (1994) - Pink Floyd
In Utero (1993) - Nirvana

Jakebert
09-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Does Nick Drake actually fit into that grouping of cliched bands, though? He's more of a hipster/indie nerd thing. Hence why I love him.

Bipolar Bear
09-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Many different types of people can listen to Heavy Metal, or any type of music for that matter. If there is a correlation between personality and music preference, it must be rather low and insignificant. Nothing worthy of making a study for, that's for sure.

If anything, the lyrics is the part that is more likely to attract people of a specific mindset.

jacknife737
09-07-2008, 09:29 PM

Not really. I get more annoyed when i hear people say "why can't they make music like they did in the 19??".

Vera
09-07-2008, 09:31 PM
"I listen to everything" is annoying to me because it doesn't give you much to build a conversation on. "Oh you like everything, do you like RHCP? Bad Religion? Xtina?" You know? It becomes a guessing game if somebody just claims they like everything or NEARLY everything.

I'd rather people with diverse vast tastes in music tell me "I like a lot of stuff, currently I'm mostly into ___ and ____" because then you can follow it up with "oh, I've heard of ___, loved their new album" or "what's happening with ___? they've been out of the limelight lately!" or something. Usually when you ask for a stranger's music taste, you're desperately trying to make for conversation and "I like everything", no matter how friggin' honest, doesn't give you much to go on.

Also, I've self-labelled nearly everything Endy likes as "weird" and I'm sticking by this categorization. Join me and be blessed in ignorance, Betty.

WebDudette
09-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Does Nick Drake actually fit into that grouping of cliched bands, though? He's more of a hipster/indie nerd thing. Hence why I love him.

No, it was just the fact that he isn't from my time period. I was pointing out that that time period in which music is made is not significant to whether or not one should listen to them.

Vera, I typically reply with 'I listen to various stuff, recently I've been listening to a lot of (insert semi-popular ) a lot.' If they don't know that band I continue until I find one they do.

Bipolar Bear
09-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Not really. I get more annoyed when i hear people say "why can't they make music like they did in the 19??".

In a couple of years, people are going to be complaining about "why they aren't making music like the the 200x's". Enjoy the moment, nostalgia is for old people.
:cool:

jacknife737
09-07-2008, 09:40 PM
In a couple of years, people are going to be complaining about "why they aren't making music like the the 200x's". Enjoy the moment, nostalgia is for old people.
:cool:

What's worse is when some 13 year old is trying to tell me music was soo much better in teh 70s... a good two decades before they were even born.

Jakebert
09-07-2008, 09:40 PM

Gaaah, that one bugs the fuck out of me. There is always, always good music being currently made, regardless of time period.

jacknife737
09-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Gaaah, that one bugs the fuck out of me. There is always, always good music being currently made, regardless of time period.

Tell me about it... but with regards to your other point, when someone claims their favorite band is say the Stones, or whatever, it does come across as a "safe" pick, but still doesn't bother me as much as other things.

Jakebert
09-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Well for me it depends on specific bands. Led Zeppelin is probably the biggest for me.

I actually dislike the Rolling Stones in general, so when people ay that the Stones are their favorite band, I tend to think lesser of them.

WebDudette
09-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Ugh, yeah. I don't really get all the love with Rolling Stones.

Betty
09-07-2008, 10:35 PM
I kinda agree Jakebert. Those types are very similar to the "I like everything" type, just with SOME actual opinion, so they're a step up. The thing that I suspect is that they haven't listened to very much different music, and they liked those bands enough, and so they stuck with 'em and that's probably the majority of what they listen to.

The thing with me is that I actually don't really like a lot of bands people list as favourites. It might just be me though. I don't know... I try to like them. Zeppelin? Nah. My ex even bought me an album and I listened to it like 5 times, and it was completely a no go. But I'm just not into the heavy rock with like, the high-pitched yelley vocals. Every once in a while I hear a Zeppelin accoustic-type song that I think is great, but mostly I associate them with the other stuff. But then if I tell people I don't really like Zeppelin, they act like *I* don't have any taste in music. Whereas I most likely like a lot more bands, and have listened to a lot more different stuff. Dylan? He's growing on me, but I still don't love him. Very good in small doses. Pink Floyd? Again, not bad. Good maybe if I'm in the mood. A few incredible songs. But overall, I can't completely love them. They might be the best of those I'm listing though, and I can see why people like them. Cash? Cool style, some really good songs, but I couldn't imagine listening to album after album repeatedly, cause it gets kinda monotonous. Kinda like Dylan.

WebDudette
09-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Haha, the 'you don't like Zeppelin? for shame!' pretentious types are worse then the 'you don't know who 'Beach the Whale' are but I do, so I'm better then you' pretentious types.

ninthlayer
09-07-2008, 11:18 PM
"I listen to everything" is annoying to me because it doesn't give you much to build a conversation on. "Oh you like everything, do you like RHCP? Bad Religion? Xtina?" You know? It becomes a guessing game if somebody just claims they like everything or NEARLY everything.

I'd rather people with diverse vast tastes in music tell me "I like a lot of stuff, currently I'm mostly into ___ and ____" because then you can follow it up with "oh, I've heard of ___, loved their new album" or "what's happening with ___? they've been out of the limelight lately!" or something. Usually when you ask for a stranger's music taste, you're desperately trying to make for conversation and "I like everything", no matter how friggin' honest, doesn't give you much to go on.

Vera, I love you for posting what I couldn't articulate earlier. When I'm asked what I like in music I'll generally do what you just outlined: "Oh, well lately I've been listening to a lot of ______, ________, and ________, but I'm into a pretty wide variety of things." Generally I end up naming a diverse array of genres in whatever I list because I seem to really be into at least one band from a given genre at a time. Lately it's been Mickey Avalon, mc chris, Interpol, the Arcade Fire, and Muse in pretty much equal numbers, so how could I convey that specifically other than listing?

I feel like that was extensively drawn out.

Endymion
09-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Also, I've self-labelled nearly everything Endy likes as "weird" and I'm sticking by this categorization. Join me and be blessed in ignorance, Betty.

i thought it was labelled "cum-filled chinese hooker amputee"

i also greatly dislike the random popular rock bands from decades past that were mentioned in this thread. not as if that's a surprise to anyone though.

Betty
09-07-2008, 11:42 PM
The thing is, I can't take you seriously Ryan, cause you don't like ANYTHING that is remotely known in any way. Not that that's necessarily a problem, I just can't relate at all, to anything, ever. I think the most mainstream band that we both liked was Q And Not U. I don't even know if you ever even really liked them. Although I have enjoyed a Ryan song here and there.

Ho Tonk?

http://www.myspace.com/ballgagnchaingang

(I feel like this is almost maybe kinda weird enough for you. But maybe a little too rockabilly... which is why I love it).

Endymion
09-08-2008, 12:37 AM
come now, i listen to a lot of stuff that's semi- to well-known! just glancing over my laptop's music library (a mighty small subset of my total music library) we find some bands as Battles, Boredoms, Brian Eno & David Byrne, Captain Beefheart, Devo, Man Man, Mr. Bungle, Oingo Boingo, Talking Heads, The Blood Brothers, The Magnetic Fields, The Unicorns, Tom Waits; and composers such as Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Tchaikovsky, Reich!

B-Rad
09-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Wow, this completely and exactly describes a lot of people I know.

But that just might be by chance. What does it say about people who listen to the offspring? The most awesome people on earth?

mrconeman
09-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Normally when asked I'll use the everything line but quickly explain by saying something like "And by that I mean I don't limit myself to any one/two/ten genre's, I'll give any genre a chance within reason". Then give examples of whoever I'm digging at the time. I find at least some common ground with everyone I have this talk with.

On the whole Led Zeppelin/Floyd/Nirvana issue, it's the musical elitists complaining about the wannabe types who are the *really* fucking annoying ones. So fuck if some dumbass kid knows nothing beyond a few of the most popular bands of all time and buys a few shirts? Where's the fucking issue? It doesn't downgrade the fact that those bands made great music, or your position as a legitimate fan, which other legitimate fans are going to spot off the bat, there's no need to be such a moaning fucking vag about it.

bighead384
09-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Almost everyone I know has annoying opinions about music. Everyone is out to prove something. No one just listens to music anymore.

Betty
09-08-2008, 07:28 PM
On the whole Led Zeppelin/Floyd/Nirvana issue, it's the musical elitists complaining about the wannabe types who are the *really* fucking annoying ones. So fuck if some dumbass kid knows nothing beyond a few of the most popular bands of all time and buys a few shirts? Where's the fucking issue? It doesn't downgrade the fact that those bands made great music, or your position as a legitimate fan, which other legitimate fans are going to spot off the bat, there's no need to be such a moaning fucking vag about it.

The only times I really have a problem with it are:
-If somebody criticizes ME for not loving their favourite band/artist (e.g. Dylan, Cash, Radiohead, etc. as mentioned) and acts like there is a problem with my taste/exposure
-When somebody complains about the music I'm playing (which, if other people around, I try to make pretty pleasant) because they don't know it or it's "weird." It's frustrating to have to limit the number of albums I can play for guests to like 5% of my collection (Weezer CD again? Maybe Tom Petty? That mix CD I made with popular rock songs?) when I'm always happy to listen to music at somebody's place. Yeah, I guess it's just frustrating when people are completely unwilling to listen to something they haven't heard before.
-When I'm somewhere, and there is just REALLY BAD music playing (usually this is at a dance club or party or something - I usually don't mind listening to albums people have by popular rock bands that I deem less than stellar cause maybe they'll grow on me - although I did get pretty annoyed when my friends kept playing Foo Fighters before and after their show)

iPunk247
09-08-2008, 08:44 PM
as long as it doesn't fucking bored me to my own death nor sucks or blows my ear drums er something i don't know like whatevers i guess. shit. ^__^

Offspring-Junkie
09-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Basically, I don't really like Nirvana. It sounds too depressive to me. I just like the song "you know you're right". I don't mind Nirvana, I just don't really like them. What I like?
The Offspring, the Offspring, the Offspring and then....
Rage against the machine, Dropkick murphys, AC/DC, Green Day, Millencolin, Social Distortion, Die Toten Hosen, Die Ärzte, Queens of the Stone Age...yeah, stuff like that.

Free?
09-09-2008, 06:06 PM
A study by a psychology professor has found links between personality and music taste.
The Heriot-Watt university professor Adrian North said: "We have always suspected a link between music taste and personality. This is the first time that we've been able to look at it in real detail. No-one has ever done this on this scale before.
"People do actually define themselves through music and relate to other people through it but we haven't known in detail how music is connected to identity."
According to the study heavy metal fans are gentle, indie music listeners lack self-esteem and lovers of pop music are uncreative.
He found that country and western fans are hard-working, rap fans outgoing and jazz and classical music supporters are innovative and bursting with self-confidence.
Contrary to the stereotype, heavy metal fans are gentle and at ease with themselves but they tend not to be hardworking.
Those who listen to heavy metal and classical music share character traits of being creative, at ease and introverted.
But classical music fans have high self-esteem while heavy rock fans lack self-belief.
More than 36,000 people around the globe took part in the survey, the biggest of its type ever conducted.
They were asked to rate 104 musical styles in the study and were also questioned on aspects of their personality.

That's just statistics summed up, I think those criteria's may be applied to the majorities, but what we believe is individuality, not what statistics tell us what to be :cool:. And, dedicated fans of a single genre are usually pretty closed minded (it is a very close minded thing to deny everything else you are not used to listen to).

Rutegard
09-10-2008, 03:42 AM
that makes me a person with a very offspring-ish personality...something i suspect for a long time now....

JoY
09-10-2008, 02:36 PM

a typical case of MPD? ;p

edit; I can't believe no one made that joke already.

figures why no one makes a psychiatry joke, eh? ;p I know other medical specialisations say that about psychiatry, generally, but dude, you should see them squirm at the suggestion that psychiatry in the future won't exist anymore. oh noes. schizo's all around & docs would have to TALK with their patients. painful! besides that, psychiatry wouldn't be so vague if neurology would hurry the fuck up & figure out the human brain. if neurology & psychiatry would work together, which they're FINALLY starting to do AGAIN, actual magic could happen.

seriously though, psychology I don't get. well, I get it, everybody needs to blow off some steam every once in a while & find a person he/she can endlessly complain to without it costing a friendship, or something precious as that. let's just say some of us do. but who are you going to tell you hear voices, or feel an undeniable urge to repeatedly slam your head into a wall, or touch the door fifty times before you open it, without the whole world thinking you're insane in the brain & should be put away?

to get back on topic, sunny; I'm into quite a few different genres aswell, depending on the song/artist/voice/lyrics duh, but what probably annoys me the most about some people who claim to like *everything*, is that if something's playing, that's too damn awful & ear-wrecking to listen to, they claim to find it beautiful & use words like "interesting", "unique" & "original". like I'm not listening to the same thing, jeez, when it's too painful to listen to, just admit it & spare yourself a headache.

[[Meli.x]]
09-11-2008, 03:05 PM
i dont get why everyones so against country and western lol..
Garth Brooks is genius...
but i generally can listen to anything.. and off hand, there are no genres of music i dislike, just individual songs and bands..
you may read that as a contradiction, but what i mean is that i have yet to find a genre that i dislike completely...
theres always one song that just blows you away.. whether it for the lyrics, the musical talent or just the rhythem of it...
i dont think anyone can honestly say.. "I hate every single song that is classed in the genre of [insert genre], and i would rather stick pins into my own nails than listen to a second of it"
as for the whole musictaste=personality shit...
I know people who are into metal and shit, and they are the most hardworking people i know..
The same as i know people who listen to pop music, but are the most interesting conversation you can have..
Music is just a preference..
thats like saying people who wear baggy jeans are disorganised and messy people.. but people who wear tight jeans are neat and tidy... it just isnt the case.
its not completely irrelivant, but it doesnt really have much of an impact, its just the label that is given to the style of music which has the influence on the personality of a person who chooses to take the whole stereotype.

Rant over.

Sofinch
09-12-2008, 06:18 AM
Like every music-style
especially punk-rock
it just hangs of my mood