PDA

View Full Version : McCain takes the lead

lost_nvrfound
09-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Just saw on the news he is now leading the race with 58% of americans supporting him, while Obama has only 38%.

Short_Attention_Span
09-09-2008, 10:38 PM
I heard he was in the lead earlier...

How is that fucking possible?
________
Medical marijuana card (http://mmjp.org)

jacknife737
09-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Just saw on the news he is now leading the race with 58% of americans supporting him, while Obama has only 38%.

I think you've got your numbers wrong. A few days ago he had nearly a ten point lead amongst undecided voters, not the entire electorate. And poll numbers will vary amongst the different organizations that run them. McCain is enjoying a bounce in the polls due to the convention and the Palin nomination. This won't last forever. The election is going to be close, but it's not over yet.

Llamas
09-09-2008, 10:44 PM
It's common for a National Convention to boost a candidate's ratings. Had the NRC not happened immediately after the NDC, we probably would've seen just as high of a boost for Obama. I think things will even out in a bit after the excitement from the NRC/VP pick dies down.

jacknife737
09-09-2008, 10:54 PM
I think you've got your numbers wrong. A few days ago he had nearly a ten point lead amongst undecided voters, not the entire electorate. And poll numbers will vary amongst the different organizations that run them. McCain is enjoying a bounce in the polls due to the convention and the Palin nomination. This won't last forever. The election is going to be close, but it's not over yet.

Recent NBC/WSJ poll puts Obama 46, McCain 45.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/9/9/1747/45664/373/592540

Hypno Toad
09-09-2008, 11:08 PM
I was under the impression that Bush thoroughly fucked up the republican reputation. Maybe the lesson has to be taught 3 TIMES.

Static_Martyr
09-10-2008, 04:19 AM
^Oh sweet Jesus I hope not....

SaiKYoU
09-10-2008, 07:46 AM
so the FOx is manipulating numbers again eh??!

Al Gore must be forious at this moment...

Moose
09-10-2008, 10:35 AM
so the FOx is manipulating numbers again eh??!

Al Gore must be forious at this moment...

only at the fact that a recent poll showed only 12 percent of all americans believe in "man-bear-pig"...

...but it was a fox news poll...

wheelchairman
09-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Why do you take Fox News at it's word? You are a university student right? I mean I know it must be hard to find a news outlet that fits your (assumeably) right wing viewpoint (what lol)?

No but seriously, why? To believe the news of a blatantly biased media organisation makes no goddamn sense. With unbiased media you *always* have to take it with a grain of salt (and if you really care about your facts you'll double check it from other independent sources). But to watch Fox News for factual content makes no goddamn sense. I mean if it was an interview with somebody you found interesting (or perhaps the interviewer was interesting) I'd understand. But this is a poll :/

Now to me it would be no surprise if McCain is leading. I would suspect that even if he wasn't it would be because a significant number of people lied about their opinions for one reason or another. (You wouldn't want to publicly admit you were a racist so you might lie, for example.) That kind of tendency we've seen in Europe.

Polls during election time on the actual election are really quite useless. So much can happen from now to then.

Jakebert
09-10-2008, 11:23 AM
It's common for a National Convention to boost a candidate's ratings. Had the NRC not happened immediately after the NDC, we probably would've seen just as high of a boost for Obama. I think things will even out in a bit after the excitement from the NRC/VP pick dies down.

But this bump seems like more than just the usual convention bump. It seems to me that, even on college campuses where he used to be a God, that the obsession with Obama is wearing off and that people are getting tired of him.

Jojan
09-10-2008, 01:22 PM
McCain is old! xD

JohnnyNemesis
09-10-2008, 02:28 PM
people are getting tired of him.

Ahh, gotta love our generation: it's not that we don't have the resources or desire, it's just that we're too goddamn lazy to get the fuck up and make something change for the better in our country. Siiiiiigh.

(Not that this kind of shit is new. Just disheartening is all.)

Sunny
09-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Ahh, gotta love our generation: it's not that we don't have the resources or desire, it's just that we're too goddamn lazy to get the fuck up and make something change for the better in our country. Siiiiiigh.

(Not that this kind of shit is new. Just disheartening is all.)

well said. this is depressing as hell.

bighead384
09-10-2008, 04:10 PM
They should've waited till right after the RNC to dig up all the dirt on Palin.

JohnnyNemesis
09-10-2008, 04:32 PM
^I agree wholeheartedly, bigehead.

well said. this is depressing as hell.

Thanks. And word. I think what bugs me is that this isn't just any kind of laziness. This aint the traditional laziness that makes people stay at home on Election Day or fail to follow up on the news. This is like...mental laziness, to the point where people lack the mental discipline to just not be FICKLE. ABOUT EVERY GODDAMNED THING POSSIBLE.

Weak analogy but I can't resist making it: it reminds me of people who say or think "I just plain don't like [insert something here]" after they consume too much of it too fast, instead of saying/thinking "Hm, I think I wore this out. Maybe I'll see if I'm into it again later". Y'feel me?

Anyway, yeah, overexposure knows no bounds and it risks turning presidential hopefuls into celebrties (but is he ready...to LEAD? lolz). I'm waiting to see if Obama makes it on some sort of "Was Hot Now Not" list in a trashy gossip style magazine. I'm only half-kidding.

Sunny
09-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks. And word. I think what bugs me is that this isn't just any kind of laziness. This aint the traditional laziness that makes people stay at home on Election Day or fail to follow up on the news. This is like...mental laziness, to the point where people lack the mental discipline to just not be FICKLE. ABOUT EVERY GODDAMNED THING POSSIBLE.

yep, and that's the scary part. it's thought laziness; allowing the media to spoon-feed you opinions and talking points without once stopping to think about what you're being told. what scares me is how many people repeat pundits' one-liners instead of actually debating and thinking critically. political stances have been reduced to bumper sticker phrases and easily digestible soundbites.

it's almost like people sit in front of the TV and just indiscriminately absorb everything thrown at them. the media is all like "yay Obama", the viewer goes "o yay Obama"; the media says "Obama is overexposed", the viewer is like "o i'm tired of Obama now, yawn". shouldn't there be a bit more to that?

Static_Martyr
09-10-2008, 06:00 PM
^that sounds a lot like this book I read once...I think it was called 1984...

Hypno Toad
09-10-2008, 06:53 PM
political stances have been reduced to bumper sticker phrases and easily digestible soundbites.

I once saw a bumper sticker that said, "Why is our oil in their sands?" All i could say was holy crap.

XYlophonetreeZ
09-10-2008, 08:46 PM
They should've waited till right after the RNC to dig up all the dirt on Palin.
I would agree with this, but "they" hardly dug up any dirt at all. It was mostly the media and bloggers, not the Obama campaign. At least that's been my impression.

Hypno Toad
09-10-2008, 08:52 PM
I find that Brian griffins quote suits these elections very well:

"undecided voters are the biggest idiots on the planet"

Honestly, there shouldn't have to a bad-talking hate speel by both sides. It's a sad thought that people can be told who to vote for.