PDA

View Full Version : Why did you start playing your instrument

come out swinging
09-09-2008, 07:59 PM
I started playing my guitar because i wanted to play offspring songs and i like how guitars sound. I was really into music and i knew this would be the perfect hobby for me and i would not get bored playing.

randman21
09-10-2008, 01:44 AM
I wanted to play drums, because it seems like endless fun, but I never had the money or space. But I started playing guitar because one of my friends played a bunch of songs I liked and I thought it would be cool to learn. Actually, it was before that, when some girl brought her electric guitar into the school gym when I was practicing basketball, and it rocked my ass hard. I had never heard one up close before, and it sounded beautiful. I wouldn't have started if my dad didn't already have an acoustic, though.

drummerbecca
09-10-2008, 05:38 AM
I started playing drums because we were being taught in school. I fell in love with playing, and a friend of mine played guitar so we decided to start jamming together. Then another girl we met a couple of years later was a double bass player (upright bass), so we formed an all girl punk band (as you do). I was 11 when I started playing, and I haven't looked back. I just properly started playing guitar and bass when I was in college a couple of years ago, and the reason I wanted to play both was so I could record some demos and stuff.

lost_nvrfound
09-10-2008, 07:45 AM
The first thing that made me want to learn to play guitar goes back to when I was six. My dad has played guitar for forever and so I've been in and out of music stores for all of my life. One day, when I was six, we were at a music store and they had this cow print guitar. At that age, it was the coolest thing I has ever seen.

So, naturally, my parents decided to sign my 4-year-old sister up for guitar lessons.

It wasn't until 6th or 7th grade that my best friend at the time got a guitar and lessons to go with it. So, she started teaching me what she was learning in class. Then my dad started letting me play on his guitars.

Then in 9th grade my dad lent me a guitar. And later that year I bought my acoustic.

I grew up with rock 'n' roll, so I've always lived a bit in the rockstar fantasy. And I've always loved being in the spotlight. So that's been one of my main motivators in learning to play. :D

MasterBasser
09-10-2008, 08:23 AM
I started bass because first of all, Punk influnced my life pretty much, so i wanted to start playin it :P
Second of all, me and some mates started a band, and the bass was left, and, i always wanted to play it, it sounds soooo cool

Andy
09-10-2008, 09:33 AM
I've always been interested in the drums for as long as I can remember properly listening to music. My earliest musical memory is being in my dad's car, listening to Queen Greatest Hits II and air-drumming like a little motherfucker to Innuendo.

In 2002 (I think), someone I vaguely knew was talking about how the drummer for his band had walked out that weekend and was looking for a replacement. I told him that I was interested in drumming; he said that if I could play I was in (ah, punk). I got a nasty little 100 Hohner rustbucket that weekend and discovered that I could indeed play.

So yeah, that's why.

Static_Martyr
09-10-2008, 01:43 PM
I started playing guitar because I got into the Ramones, about three or four years ago (right near the end of high school). I became obsessed with their music because I realised I could actually make out the chords and notes they were playing (which I had never been able to do in a song). It inspired me to get up and try to play them, and so my mom bought me an $80 red Yamaha RGX for Christmas that year. I learned every song on the first 6 Ramones albums (yeah, I was determined....and obsessed), before moving on to Green Day and the Offspring, then later Rancid and NOFX and AFI and all these other kickass bands.

Bass is the next natural progression, I think; my grandpa bought me a $500 bass starter kit thing (with an amp and a bass guitar and a how-to book) for a graduation present, and by that time I was playing into American Idiot, so I learned that whole album on bass *and* guitar.

And now, I just got a drum kit. I've been wanting one ever since I heard Dookie (I loved how the drums were simple, like The Ramones, but so energetic and manic and fast), but I just now managed to save up enough money to buy one (I found an electric one on Amazon for $150, WITH shipping and handling included).

Harmonica, I learned because I like harmonica~ Green Day's album Warning really got me started by actually showing me how to incorporate simple harmonica riffs into songs, but also to blame is early Black Sabbath (The Wizard), and some U2.

Trumpet, well, let's just say, NOFX.

EDIT: The trumpet is actually my mom's. She played it in her high school band. I don't actually own a trumpet -_-

Piano? Well, I got started on that because of Star Ocean: The Second Story for PSX. It has some absolutely brilliant songs that are played in an orchestral setting, and there was no way for me to capture that brilliance on any of my known instruments....so I started learning Rena's Theme on piano, and I eventually hope to be able to play it fluently enough to cover the song in its entirety (there's a cover on my band's myspace, but it's a guitar version and the cascading piano line during the chorus is absent).

lost_nvrfound
09-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Been keeping busy much Tim?

Haha! Its funny that The Ramones were too energetic to interest you on the drums... Playing the Ramones was how I first learned to play the drums. And their songs are all that I can really play well. If I could incorporate the absent minded-ness of Keith Moon's playing, then it'd be a natural move to start learning the Who. But thats another story. I can't play more complex things like recent Offspring. Though I can do a lot of their older stuff alright.

mrconeman
09-10-2008, 02:06 PM
I'd always been way into guitar oriented music from as far back as I recall, which I have my parents to thank for, so I just naturally had a liking for guitars. I remember, very clearly, sitting watching tv, I was no more than 6 or 7, when the video for Guns n Roses Sweet Child... came on. I honestly remember just watching how fucking cool I thought Slash/His guitar/that song was, and literally from then on started begging for a guitar. (funny how things come full circle, I'm covering that song at a gig this Saturday)

I finally got one at age 15, taught myself to play and never looked back.
Playing guitar is the one thing I really just feel at home with, I actually know I found my vocation right there.

My second favourite instrument is piano, and I was tinkering with my brothers keyboard before he moved out, definitely gunna take that up sometime.

JoY
09-10-2008, 02:11 PM
I basically wanted to make music. my brother played the violin, which looked difficult, but gracious.. & I'm not sure that I gave the instrument itself that much thought. I mean, I was two when I first voiced the wish to play the violin, so I think it was just because I wanted to make music.

though I could've chosen the piano, which my mother played fairly well... seeing my brother's violin playing wasn't that much of a pleasure to listen to, I don't really know why I never chose the piano.

good question. I don't know what it was about the violin, but there has to have been something about it.

edit; as for the piano; when I grew older, I did want to learn how to play the piano, but by that stage I didn't want to give up playing the violin. what got me into it was wanting to write my own songs, I think, but I had to know what I was doing on the darn instrument, so I tried to play some songs from Krezip to get me started. it was exactly the kind of music I liked at that point, so it was basically the kind of music I wanted to make. besides that, a couple of their songs still manage to move me, which is a good reason for wanting to be able to play them yourself. seeing I had no violin teacher anymore anyway & filled in technical blanks by teaching myself, I gave it a try on the piano. I'm not very good, but people mistake me for someone who's had pianolessons, so I reckon it's not that bad.

Static_Martyr
09-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Been keeping busy much Tim?

Oh, always! I probably record a song every two days....plus I work, and I write, and of course I read....damn, it's like I never have a sitting moment. I guess that's good though; I'm too busy doing the stuff that I would be doing if I had sitting time, heh :)

Haha! Its funny that The Ramones were too energetic to interest you on the drums...

It's not that they were "too energetic;" it's just that percussion never really stood out to me until I heard Green Day play. And now that I have a drum kit, I find that Ramones is all I can play 0_0 I've been playing S/T over and over again, trying to nail the "fills" during 53rd and 3rd and Loudmouth. It's pretty easy, but like Marky says in End of the Century: Story of the Ramones, "It takes stamina."

lost_nvrfound
09-10-2008, 06:42 PM
"It takes stamina."

yeah. Thats the one thing I have over my sister on the drums. I run and climb lots of stairs and what not, so I have very strong legs and I can keep going for a good long while. Otherwise, I wouldn't have a chance. The Ramones had such relentlessly steady rhythms, the rest of my family has a hard time keeping the right foot going long enough to make it through a song.

As far as The Offspring goes, I've had the most luck with Smash. The only really difficult part on that album for me is the intro to COAP. I can't keep my hand and foot cordinated well enough for it. I'm getting close though.

Man, all this talk of drums makes me miss my kit (well, my sister and i share it, but same difference). I can't wait to get an apartment. Can we say, "Hello electric kit?"... well, maybe... depends on whether I can get into study abroad. Thats gonna cost.

Ryder1234
09-10-2008, 07:04 PM
I started playing guitar because in late '05, my friend asked me if he wanted to be in his and his friend's band. I was originally on bass and vocals, but I found out what a bass was and thought you could only finger pick. I didn't want to play it anymore. Then I realized I couldn't sing for shit. I got a shitty guitar for Christmas that year. My first year of playing, I couldn't play any chords. I just barred every string, but I thought it sounded good. Turns out it wasn't when I found a recording from around then about a moth ago. I got an Ibanez Gio for the next Christmas, and all of the sudden I could play power chords. Literally two hours after I got it, I played Gone Away in it's entirety. I figured out then that the reason I couldn't play before was that my first guitar was a Strat copy, and it still holds true to this day that I can't play properly on Fender necks. Only guitars though. Basses don't affect me. In June of '07, I bought a Squier Telecaster. It is fucked up now and I barely play it. Christmas that year, I got my Ibanez RG, and then May '08 I got my first acoustic, an Epiphone.

randman21
09-10-2008, 07:37 PM
The only really difficult part on that album for me is the intro to COAP.
:eek: You're kidding! I've only played drums, like, once but that was the only thing I was able to play. And pretty flawlessly, I might add. Just that intro part, though.

Static_Martyr
09-11-2008, 02:16 AM
Well, I'm still having a teensy bit of trouble on the faster stuff, but I can manage YGGFK, Takes Me Nowhere, and Kristy off the new album. As for Smash, any of the less manic stuff I can do. It's just those fast rhythms that throw me off; I'm not as coordinated as I'd like to be. But I practice a lot, so hopefully that will improve :) When I first got my guitar, I practiced around 7 hours a day for the first couple weeks I had it (I literally ate, slept, and then played guitar). I don't have quite as much time to invest in the drums, but they are fun, and I play 'em whenever I get the chance. I try to learn whole albums at a time whenever possible, to keep me on my toes.

drummerbecca
09-11-2008, 04:13 AM
:eek: You're kidding! I've only played drums, like, once but that was the only thing I was able to play. And pretty flawlessly, I might add. Just that intro part, though.

I think its pretty normal for some people to find seemingly simple things difficult. A guy I was in college with was a great lead guitarist and could play insane riffs and stuff, but he couldn't play basic rhythm guitar for shit.
The intro to COAP is a bit strange to play, as you're hitting up towards the hi-hat instead of down, so it does feel unnatural to do it that way. Lost_nvrfound, can you read drum tab? I find it's easier sometimes if you break the beats down visually and just play them really slowly until you get comfortable. Personal preference I guess.
I forgot to add why I started playing piano. Not a very exciting story, but I started playing because of a Northern Irish artist called Duke Special who plays this vaudeville-esque kinda music. I love his style of playing and how he's so different, so I wanted to try and add some piano stuff to my music. I have pretty eclectic tastes so I'm inspired musically by loads of different people.

Thomas
09-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Basically in 5th grade I saw someone play a snare drum for about 15 seconds and I was in complete awe. I still remember that moment extremely vividly. I joined band that year and played in numerous concert ensembles ever since then. In 8th grade, I got my first drum kit, a cheapy p.o.s. Pacific EZ kit. I joined my first rock band sophomore year. Also, I've been really into the marching percussion thing. I marched all 4 years in high school and now I'm marching snare with the University of Arizona. With any luck, I'll be playing with the Academy Drum and Bugle corps this coming summer, so if I make it, be sure to watch for me on the road!

lost_nvrfound
09-11-2008, 12:00 PM

I can do it slowly. I just have difficulty keeping the bass drum going while trying to focus on the HH.

I can read drum tabs to an extent becca. I really want an electric kit so that people don't have to hear me practicing. I'm really self concious when trying to learn new bits on any instrument. I think thats the main reason i haven't played them much. At least, with a guitar I can break up the endless noodling with an occasional song(with drums I really just like to crash and bash all over the place until i figure something out, and then i move on to figure a new rhythm out). That way I don't feel like people are gonna go bonkers on me and throw my guitar out the window.

coke_a_holic
09-11-2008, 12:23 PM
I wanted to get laid/meet hot chicks.

Then I started learning how to play music that would repel them, instead.

Nice work, Mike.

drummerbecca
09-11-2008, 01:15 PM
I can do it slowly. I just have difficulty keeping the bass drum going while trying to focus on the HH.

I can read drum tabs to an extent becca. I really want an electric kit so that people don't have to hear me practicing. I'm really self concious when trying to learn new bits on any instrument. I think thats the main reason i haven't played them much. At least, with a guitar I can break up the endless noodling with an occasional song(with drums I really just like to crash and bash all over the place until i figure something out, and then i move on to figure a new rhythm out). That way I don't feel like people are gonna go bonkers on me and throw my guitar out the window.

I've been playing for nearly 14 years and I've only just started learning to read drum tab. I basically just learned by ear, and that works for some people I guess. I have to say though, even after so many years of doing it my own way, the tab is really helpful to me now when it comes to learning complicated beats, or ones that are really fast and fills are hard to make out or whatever. I really like this video because it's got Pete playing the beat really slowly as a demonstration, but it also gives you the tab along the top which is cool. Something worth trying as it's great fun to play :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU8c5SN33Kw
The beat I'm referring to starts at 1:20 by the way :)

[[Meli.x]]
09-11-2008, 02:34 PM
i got bored one day and i dug out an old acoustic...
i then got pissed off cause i couldnt figure tabs out and gave up.
then i found bass tabs and thus the bassist was born...
then i got bored of playing bass because i was finding it too easy...
and i dug my acoustic back out and thus the guitarist was born.

3 years down the line and i play both regularly... infact, my acoustic is right next to me and my electric is upstairs with my bass :)
It really was pure boredom that drove me to it..
XD

lost_nvrfound
09-11-2008, 03:07 PM
I've been playing for nearly 14 years and I've only just started learning to read drum tab. I basically just learned by ear, and that works for some people I guess. I have to say though, even after so many years of doing it my own way, the tab is really helpful to me now when it comes to learning complicated beats, or ones that are really fast and fills are hard to make out or whatever. I really like this video because it's got Pete playing the beat really slowly as a demonstration, but it also gives you the tab along the top which is cool. Something worth trying as it's great fun to play :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU8c5SN33Kw
The beat I'm referring to starts at 1:20 by the way :)

All this talk of drums really does make we want to learn to play them. I will look into some electric kits... even though they are totally out of my means right now... Hmm... It doesn't help that I am currently living on campus, sharing a room with another person... maybe when i get an apartment.