PDA

View Full Version : Just out of curiousity...

bighead384
09-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Why do American bands always release their albums with extra songs in other countries? For example, O.C. Life and Huck It aren't on the American versions of their respective Offspring albums. Why not let the people who paid for your music hear as much of it as possible?

jacknife737
09-10-2008, 04:04 PM
It’s because in countries such as Japan, the North American “import” sells for far less then that countries “regular” version; thus they include b-sides, or bonus DVDs to entice the general public to purchase the "regular" version.

And to be honest, i think a lot of times the bonus stuff throws off the "flow" of the album, for example i think that OC Life would be a terrible song to end the album on. I find a lot of the bonus stuff eventually will get released in North America, either via Eps or Rarities albums.

bighead384
09-10-2008, 04:59 PM
It’s because in countries such as Japan, the North American “import” sells for far less then that countries “regular” version; thus they include b-sides, or bonus DVDs to entice the general public to purchase the "regular" version.

Seems plausible at least, but I personally can't imagine it making much of difference.

And to be honest, i think a lot of times the bonus stuff throws off the "flow" of the album, for example i think that OC Life would be a terrible song to end the album on. I find a lot of the bonus stuff eventually will get released in North America, either via Eps or Rarities albums.

But it doesn't necessarily have to be at the end of the album. And a song like Huck It for example, would fit perfectly into Conspiracy of One. It's perfectly similar musically to many songs on that album. The only reason it might be hard to imagine it in there is if you're so used to it not being there.

Eh, I dunno. Seems like at the end of the day, it just means less music for us.

Rooster
09-10-2008, 05:14 PM
But it doesn't necessarily have to be at the end of the album. And a song like Huck It for example, would fit perfectly into Conspiracy of One. It's perfectly similar musically to many songs on that album. The only reason it might be hard to imagine it in there is if you're so used to it not being there.

Well, i agree with you, Huck It perfectly fits in CO1 (my version has it :D). However i'm not so sure if OC Life would fit as a regular track on RAFRAG. But still it's a bitch, they could include it as a bonus track on all the albums, because japanese fans got something more than others anyway - a bonus DVD.

Free?
09-11-2008, 03:41 PM
O.C. Life doesn't fit RAFRAG at all, it destroys the concept and it's a bad choice of a song to be last on album. Huck It was a great ender.
But I don't think that it's a really big tragedy when only Japanese get a bonus track. If you are a collector, getting all the extra DVDs and bonus tracks wouldn't be a big problem, if you are simply a fan, band is totally fine with you downloading their stuff.

bighead384
09-11-2008, 06:02 PM
O.C. Life doesn't fit RAFRAG at all, it destroys the concept and it's a bad choice of a song to be last on album. Huck It was a great ender.
But I don't think that it's a really big tragedy when only Japanese get a bonus track. If you are a collector, getting all the extra DVDs and bonus tracks wouldn't be a big problem, if you are simply a fan, band is totally fine with you downloading their stuff.

I'm not only talking about those specific tracks, and I never said it was a tragedy.

Free?
09-12-2008, 03:03 AM
I'm not only talking about those specific tracks, and I never said it was a tragedy.

And I never said that you did :p. First part of my post were my 2 cents in your Huck It - O.C. Life discussion, in the second part was back to topic.

JohnnyNemesis
09-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Sometimes I think it's cause the bands aren't as popular in other countries as they are here, so they need added incentive to buy the album.

Andy
09-12-2008, 12:16 PM
As usual, I've been too lazy to read the majority of other replies, but I say it's because if there are different versions out there, then you can guarantee that some people will buy the album twice - their home country version, and an import.

It has nothing to do with bands wanting to keep things fresh and nice fodifferent countries - it's all about making maximum profit for minimal effort. It is a business, after all.

P.S. Rick has a point too.

SK8rocka
09-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Seems plausible at least, but I personally can't imagine it making much of difference.

Eh, I dunno. Seems like at the end of the day, it just means less music for us.

Huck its on my conspiracy of one. AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!