PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice please

KHWHD
09-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Hopefully someone can help me with this. Some of you know I lost my job in June and I have been searching every day since then to find a new one. I've probably put out over 200 resumes, and finally I have an interview. But my problem is this...

My last job I was fired from because I was on sick/stress leave (some of you know that) for too long. The interview I have tomorrow would be great because it's right along the lines of what I've done for the last 2 1/2 years. Plus it starts at $15.05 which isn't too shabby to start. I know that they're going to ask me why I left my last job.

I figure if I tell them the truth about why I left, (meaning fired) they'll think... "Why should we hire her if she was on stress leave for 4 weeks... who's to say she won't have other "issues" and need time off?" Then I think well if I lie, they'll just call the company and find out the truth and not want to hire me.

I want to tell the truth (lying is not who I am) but I'm stumped. Know what I mean? I NEED this job because I'm so tired of spending 5-6 hours a day looking for a job and my EI will run out in 2 weeks.

Hopefully I can get some advice cause I'm at a loss. Thanks.

Rag Doll
09-11-2008, 06:04 PM
I don't know what kind of advice you need. You already answered your own question. You need to tell them the truth and just explain *why* you were off for so long.

lost_nvrfound
09-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Tell them the truth Terri. Just tell them that both your parents had heartattacks and that you had a ministroke all in the same week. If they don't understand, then they are heartless fucks! Shit, if they don't hire you because of that, then there is something seriously wrong with the world.

KHWHD
09-11-2008, 07:05 PM
http://www.densocorp-na-dmcn.com/index.html

This is where the interview is for. Car plant. My Dad works at one in Elora, 5 min. away from where I was born. Not the same company though. There's potential to make good coin working in places like that.

Free?
09-12-2008, 05:34 AM
I agree with Rag Doll and lost, tell the truth. Lying would be just a childish way to solve the problem, once you've lied it will pursue you for a long time and if the truth will open someday it might have some serious consequences. I'm not such interviewer, but I don't see how your excuse might be unacceptable. I think you'll be accepted (use your charming skills ;)). Good luck with that, really (and, more importantly, I wish your work will not be an annoying one)!

KHWHD
09-12-2008, 07:27 AM
I agree with Rag Doll and lost, tell the truth. Lying would be just a childish way to solve the problem, once you've lied it will pursue you for a long time and if the truth will open someday it might have some serious consequences. I'm not such interviewer, but I don't see how your excuse might be unacceptable. I think you'll be accepted (use your charming skills ;)). Good luck with that, really (and, more importantly, I wish your work will not be an annoying one)!

Thank you, you're very kind. A few more hours... and I pray to God that it all works out cause believe me... I need this job.

Keyser
09-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Tell the truth. I've worked on a personnel department for a while and really alot people have similar problems with stress. If you deal on the wrong way (by for example lying) with it, you could end up with bigger problems. It's better to point out everything clear so you can make a ''new start''. I'm sure that new company has a company doctor or something like that that can help you with your problems if you want or need it. People have problems in their lifes and its better to openly talk about it then to hide it.

KHWHD
09-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Well, I think the interview went well. It's really tough to say though. Apparently there's a series of interviews. She said she'd be contacting me soon.

The HR woman and one of the team leaders on the floor did the interviewing. They did ask about my previous employer, which I knew they would. Thankfully they didn't go too much into detail questioning me about it. I told them the truth straight up. So hopefully I'll get a call-back for a second interview next week.