PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Moments In Music

bighead384
09-12-2008, 10:31 PM
It could be an incredible intro! Or an outstanding outro! Or the build up that leads into a face melting guitar solo in an epic song! That exact moment where you get the chills. Just list what you think are some of the coolest, most emotional parts of any song. And please don't say "(insert song here)-The whole song". Cause that's lame.

Some of my favorites:

Tool- Lateralus- The Outro

Converge- The Saddest Day- "Every time you justify, Another good in you dies!"

A Wilhelm Scream- Get Mad You Son Of A Bitch- If I'm blasting it, the outro gives me chills

Sarah Mclachlan-Adia- That nice little piano solo in the middle of the song

Smash_Returns
09-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Iron Maiden - Self-Titled Album - Phantom Of The Opera - Intro, it's just so damned creppy, really sets the mood of the song.

Nazareth - Hair Of The Dog - "Now You're Messin' with a Son of a Bitch"

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III - Immigrant Song - The Viking Scream

Wolfmother - White Unicorn - The Intro. What can I say, I really like good intros.

Living in Chaos
09-13-2008, 03:14 AM
Dream Theater - In The Presence Of Enemies (Part 1) - From the beginning to where the singing starts.

Forza
09-13-2008, 03:46 AM
Rather than the solo, the little bridge before the solo in Stairway to Heaven chills me.

In Mess With Time by Built to Spill at around 3 and a half minutes there is a part where you hear the bass guitar. It's one of those rare moments where the bass makes the song.

Don't Hate Me by Porcupine Tree has a mindblowing saxophone solo. Makes me want to listen more rocksongs with a saxophone.

Free?
09-13-2008, 03:56 AM
Whole NIN's The Great Below.
EDIT: Haha, just saw your line about putting whole song would be lame, but, really, TGB has awesome intro, awesome verses, awesome progressing, awesome culmination and awesome ending. I could name those moments separately, but exactly the way the song is composed from all those awesome moments is the awesomest part about it :D. I think none would disagree with that.

Andy
09-13-2008, 09:02 AM
So, so many!

Led Zeppelin / Stairway To Heaven - Everything from 5:55 to 7:28. Page's solo, Bonham's perfect drumming and Plant's wailing vocals always get the hairs on the back of my neck going.

Reuben / Deadly Lethal Ninja Assassn - The whole song. I just love it.

The Living End / White Noise - The entire album. I got it a couple of weeks ago and have become quite addicted to it, listening to it around sixteen times already. The choruses are perfect, the drums are nice and lively without being over-complicated (just how I like them), Cheney's voice is sounding the best it it's ever been... I just fucking love it.

Manic St Preachers / Everything Must Go - The pre-chorus and chorus (especially 2:13 to 2:48). Manic St Preachers choruses are amongst the catchiest I've ever heard, but Everything Must Go is probably my favourite of the lot, probably thanks in no small part to the strings.

Travis / Turn - The whole song (but especially the chorus). The Man Who was the first album I ever bought and Turn was my favourite song on it. I dread to think how many times I've listened to it, but it has never ever got old. When the chorus starts, it always gets me going.

The Ataris / Blue Skies, Broken Hearts... Next 12 Exits - The first 3 songs (Losing Streak/1-15-96/San Dimas). As far as I'm aware, one of the best starts to any album I've ever heard. For some reason, it becomes even better when listened to whilst walking on a crisp winter's morning. Try it.

Jerry & The Pacemakers / You'll Never Walk Alone (when sung by Glasgow Celtic fans at Celtic Park). There is no greater feeling in world football than seeing 40,000 drunk Glaswegians sing this song in unison. Liverpool fans may argue that they started it first, but Celtic do it best. Having Celtic blood in my family, I can never watch this without welling up with strange pride.
You'll Never Walk Alone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6udSrQRhNOQ&feature=related)

Scotland The Brave. When done properly by a good band, or even by just one piper, it always gets me blubbing like a shameless little prick. Scotland The Brave (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZuq_mMDg20&feature=related)

bighead384
09-13-2008, 12:59 PM
The outro to Million Miles Away is pretty incredible, right when Ron comes in with the crash cymbal.

Meg
09-13-2008, 01:07 PM
The intro to "I'm gonna crawl" by Led Zeppelin is awesome. And actually, even though it'll annoy you, the song in full is just about as good as it gets.

Blackball_
09-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Jerry & The Pacemakers / You'll Never Walk Alone (when sung by Glasgow Celtic fans at Celtic Park). There is no greater feeling in world football than seeing 40,000 drunk Glaswegians sing this song in unison. Liverpool fans may argue that they started it first, but Celtic do it best. Having Celtic blood in my family, I can never watch this without welling up with strange pride.
You'll Never Walk Alone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6udSrQRhNOQ&feature=related)a complete dirge. :p

IamSam
09-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Going on a different spectrum:

When The Rolling Stones hired the Hells Angels to provide security at one of their concerts.

Ninty Man
09-13-2008, 11:23 PM
MMM... The 12fuck U intro of Deedee Ramone in almost every Ramones concert

The Painkiller drum intro of Judas Priest

The double bass drum intro of Hot for teacher by Van Halen

Back In Black main riff... from AC/DC

MMM... Oh yeah... come out and play weird intro XD (what?, I'm a drummer)

coke_a_holic
09-14-2008, 12:09 AM
The Weakerthans - Prescience of Dawn - "But four words fumble for the microphone... he should have known."

Bomb the Music Industry! - Sorry, Brooklyn, Dancing Won't Solve Anything - 3:12-3:19 if you know the song, you know what part I mean. None of you know the song. Sorry.

Against Me! - Even At Our Worst, We're Still Better Than Most - YOU KNOW THEY'RE WAAAAIIIITTEEEENNN

etc. more bands you've never listened to playing more songs you wouldn't like.

adombomb222
09-14-2008, 12:38 AM
System Of A Down - Free LA concert riot

Jakebert
09-14-2008, 09:51 AM
The last repetition of the chorus in "Going to Georgia" by the Mountain Goats when John starts screaming the lyrics with just an insane amount of emotion.

Dylan goes electric. He ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no mo'.

The part in "Cross the Breeze" by Sonic Youth where the song quickly turns from serene and quiet to hectic. Classic Sonic Youth.

The opening drumbeat of "Radio Free Europe". Iconic moment in music history.

Cock Joke
09-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Creed splitting up.

Rooster
09-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Creed splitting up.

Wait, i know even better...

REBELDE SPLITTING UP :p

Awesome moments for me:

-the intro to Iron Maiden's Ghost Of The Navigator
-the second solo in Nomad by Iron Maiden
-QOTSA's A Song For The Deaf (song) - bass intro, and when guitars come in - awesome :D
-Half-Truism - Can't really describe, the whole song gives me chills...
-Nirvana: Sappy (pretty much the whole song), D-7 (when the guitars come in - the second part of the song is so intense), You Know You're Right (from start to finnish, impossible to pick one part of the song, the best is the chorus though), Smells Like Teen Spirit (chorus, main guitar riff), Come As You Are (the way guitars and bass song)
-Dinosaur Jr. - Pick Me Up - amazingly beautiful solo (to me at least)
-Metallica - The Day That Never Comes, Nothing Else Matters - can't really explain either, these two songs are just amazing...
-Iggy Pop - Little Know It All - the chorus, main guitar riff.
-Ramones - Blietzkrieg Bop - catchy lyrics and guitars
-QOTSA - A Long Slow Goodbye - the chorus, guitars during the chorus
-Social Distortion - Don't Drag Me Down - main riff, chorus

Betty
09-14-2008, 04:44 PM
The Weakerthans - Prescience of Dawn - "But four words fumble for the microphone... he should have known."

... SO many good Weakerthans lyrics.

One More Time/One More Dub: One of my favourite moments in music ever is when I was listening to Sandinista! (by The Clash) for the first time (which was actually much too recently and I should have definitely listened to it sooner... I guess the fact that I didn't love Combat Rock all that much back in the day discouraged me from expecting to love anything other than London Calling). ANYWAY, I totally fell in love with the song "One More Time." I don't know if everybody would think it's an amazing song, but I do for whatever reason. So as I'm thinking to myself "Wow, this song is so good, too bad it's almost over," the next song kicks in which is called "One More Dub" and it's another take on the same song! Incredible. Just when you thought you couldn't get enough, you get the greatest song on the album twice in a row! I thought that was just fantastic, and as I sometimes do, I sought out the Amazon reviews to see if others agreed. And it actually didn't seem like they did and that I'm probably crazy. BUT, I know that The Clash clearly think it's awesome cause they put both songs on their album.

Prison Bound: By Social Distortion. The piano intro when they play it live.

Oh, when amazing bands cover amazing songs at their shows out of nowhere. Like when The Weakerthans covered The Replacements. Or when The Sadies covered "Shake Some Action" by The Flamin' Groovies, which is one of my favourite songs ever.

(Oh, I didn't really read your description for what the thread was supposed to be about and I just went with my take on the "Awesome Moments in Music" theme.)

Tijs
09-14-2008, 05:07 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6udSrQRhNOQ&feature=related)After the Champions League game against Manchester United in 2006 the crowd sang so loud. The TV captured that moment so very well and it's become one of the moments in football that has been graved in my memory. Luckily I recorded that moment so I can watch it back every now and then.

Here's that moment, bad quality but still very intense.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmh3qLr2wl8&feature=related

XYlophonetreeZ
09-14-2008, 05:34 PM
R.E.M.- The bridge of World Leader Pretend when the piano comes in, the simple yet perfect guitar solo in Flowers of Guatemala, the ending of Suspicion, and too many other things to list.

Yeasayer- The part at about 2:30 in Sunrise when the piano and handclaps begin. Music doesn't get better than that moment.

Minus the Bear- The outro of Pachuca Sunrise. Beautiful.

Blood Brothers- The part in "You're the Dream Unicorn!" when he first sings "Veeeeegas.... you're my dream uuuuuunicorn"

There are probably some that are way better than these but I only have so much time on my hands. I'd spend forever in this thread if I let myself.

Andy
09-14-2008, 05:39 PM
After the Champions League game against Manchester United in 2006 the crowd sang so loud. The TV captured that moment so very well and it's become one of the moments in football that has been graved in my memory. Luckily I recorded that moment so I can watch it back every now and then.

Here's that moment, bad quality but still very intense.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmh3qLr2wl8&feature=related

Great game that was. Beautiful Nakamura free kick and if I remember rightly, a Boruc penalty save. I was working at a pub when that game was on and covered my manager in beer whilst I was jumping around like a twat celebrating.

bighead384
09-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Was just listening to some AFI and I remembered one...

In 6 to 8, I think it's fucking sweet how the drums cut out at the end of the last chorus and then it goes right into a really emotional sounding guitar solo. Love that.

Jakebert
09-15-2008, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=XYlophonetreeZ;1185377]R.E.M.- The bridge of World Leader Pretend when the piano comes in, the simple yet perfect guitar solo in Flowers of Guatemala, the ending of Suspicion, and too many other things to list.QUOTE]

Adding to these, more R.E.M. ones:

Mike Mills' backing vocals in "Pilgramage"
The oboe solo in "Nightswimming".
The live version of "Walk Unafraid" where Stipe does an acapella version of the chorus.

More non-R.E.M. ones:

The section of "Heroin" by the Velvet Underground where the song goes from pretty to aggressive.
The phrase "you are the son of a motherfucker" in "Nimrod's Son" by the Pixies.
When "Two Headed Boy Part 2" by Neutral Milk Hotel uses the chorus of "Two Headed Boy Part 1". So powerful and emotional.

Navez
09-15-2008, 10:32 AM
the intro to little fighter by white lion....before the singing comes in....
makes me nut everytime