PDA

View Full Version : Richard Wright is DEAD.

Jakebert
09-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Pink Floyd keyboard player Richard Wright has passed away.

wheelchairman
09-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Jakebert I no longer believe these people die unmysteriously. I think they die so that you can make a thread about them. I think you kiiiiiill them.

Ryder1234
09-15-2008, 05:37 PM
I know some people who died, died...

Cock Joke
09-15-2008, 05:39 PM
"Oh, how I wish you were here..."

Had to.

Jakebert
09-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Jakebert I no longer believe these people die unmysteriously. I think they die so that you can make a thread about them. I think you kiiiiiill them.

You're next.

JohnnyNemesis
09-15-2008, 07:30 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/Bill_goldberg.jpg

HornyPope
09-16-2008, 12:10 AM
I have no idea how people feel sad for Bernie Mac or whoever died this year because I don't understand how people connect with actors and comedians. They're not artists, they are professionals. They have a number of qualities (personality, sense of humour) required to be good in such trade and they perfect it further to be even better.

Now, Richard Wright was an artist. He created wonderful music. I felt connected to his music and it really touched me on levels beyond feeling simply entertained and amuse. I feel saddened by his death.

Farewell, Richard and shine on you.

Oxygene
09-16-2008, 02:54 AM
I have no idea how people feel sad for Bernie Mac or whoever died this year because I don't understand how people connect with actors and comedians. They're not artists, they are professionals. They have a number of qualities (personality, sense of humour) required to be good in such trade and they perfect it further to be even better.

Now, Richard Wright was an artist. He created wonderful music. I felt connected to his music and it really touched me on levels beyond feeling simply entertained and amuse. I feel saddened by his death.

Farewell, Richard and shine on you.

Um, I don't wanna sound insulting (I will, but I sincerely don't want to), but ... and this is only limited to George Carlin, he's my only other obsession as strong as Offspring ... if you know his material (try reading it, so the funny doesn't distract you as much) properly, and you don't feel a kinship or eurkea, then you might not have the intellectual ability to understand it / appreciate it, because a lot of that material is funny on the surface, but there are very serious and smart messages involved. Kind of like the courtjester back in the medival days.

If that's the case, the fault lies within you, and that's why you are clueless as to why others can connect and you can't.

George Carlin was pure greatness, and great minds think alike:
If you still don't understand / believe me, then search for a modern man on youtube, or find his bit advertising lullabye, and then listen to the break down in stuff is messed up. Just a little background info: Dexter said he didn't get the inspiration from GC, that it was his own idea.

That's one of the many reasons I can connect.

WebDudette
09-16-2008, 03:14 AM
Yeah, you did come across as insulting. The argument 'you don't like it/feel connected to it because your aren't intelligent enough/open enough' is silly.

Oh yeah, I definitely dislike Tool because of their intense, intellectual lyrics and complex time signatures.

I liked George Carlin, I understood George Carlin, he wasn't a genius though. As far as the Offspring go, most of what they are saying is very basic and simple. It doesn't take a whole lot of intelligence to comprehend what Dexter is talking about in most cases.

Oxygene
09-16-2008, 03:25 AM
Yeah, you did come across as insulting. The argument 'you don't like it/feel connected to it because your aren't intelligent enough/open enough' is silly.

Yeah, I'm sure all the right wing rednecks who haven't got a clue all dislike George because he's not smart enough for them too. Very silly.

Oh yeah, I definitely dislike Tool because of their intense, intellectual lyrics and complex time signatures.

I liked George Carlin, I understood George Carlin, he wasn't a genius though. As far as the Offspring go, most of what they are saying is very basic and simple. It doesn't take a whole lot of intelligence to comprehend what Dexter is talking about in most cases.

You say you understand Carlin.. but you don't understand that

A) I said he might not connect because he MIGHT just not be smart enough to understand, and I pondered had he truly given it a chance
B) You didn't seem to be able to decipher, that Offspring artistic "why" isn't up for debate
C) or that the paralelle I drew between GC and Offspring had nothing to do with intelligence, but with artisitic affinity

I'm sure you understood every word of Carlin mate ;)

Endymion
09-16-2008, 03:29 AM

protip: george carlin wasn't the messiah.

Oxygene
09-16-2008, 05:54 AM
protip: george carlin wasn't the messiah.

Actually he was, read the bible, you'll see...

shanna_guarana
09-16-2008, 07:29 AM
this is a big lost.

T-6005
09-16-2008, 07:43 AM
I've seen a few of Carlin's things, and I was never overly impressed.

I can also assure you that it's not because what he said went above my head - this isn't Proust we're debating, it's pretty straightforward. Some of it was funny, some of it wasn't - there were a few good points of interest, but where complexity is concerned it wasn't really overwhelming.

Basically I just don't like your attitude in assuming that because no one else seems to worship Carlin like you do it means that they lack the mental acuity to understand him.

Jakebert
09-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Oxygene, I want to agree with you, but frankly you sound like an opinionated 15 year old Nirvana fan telling everyone how untouchable Kurt Cobain is.

But I disagree that comedians aren't artists. I think true, talented comedians are, because there is an art to the craft of writing a good joke. Obviously comedians like Carlos Mencia that steal jokes, or ones like Dane Cook or Robin Williams that don't tell jokes and just make random noises aren't artists, but I would say that a good comedian is in fact an artist.

Autonomist
09-16-2008, 08:07 AM

On a very basic level I think you're able to connect with celebrities in such positions through being exposed to their personalities. If you can put a face to the name of the deceased then it's all the more sad then if you can't, and obviously if you actually know something what they were like and how they lived their life then even more so. Right now I really don't have the patience to articulate what I mean just how I'd like to, I've re-read what I've written tens of times and I know it doesn't sound right. But I'm sure you can understand what I'm trying to say.

mrconeman
09-16-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm horrendously busy having the best week ever but I heard about this and thought I'd come on to say how bad it sucks.

JohnnyNemesis
09-16-2008, 09:48 AM
I think comedians are closer to artistry than most other positions in entertainment, and I mean that wholeheartedly.

Oxygene
09-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Basically I just don't like your attitude in assuming that because no one else seems to worship Carlin like you do it means that they lack the mental acuity to understand him.

Shit I said he might just not get it because he's not smart enough and or might not know the material, or know it well enough, and all of a sudden it's:

anyone who doesn't worship Carlin is mentally retarded according to me.

And Daddy doesn't like my attitude... nice.

Oh and by the way, everyone is smart enough to understand everything in here.. tt's good to know where to turn.

Oxygene, I want to agree with you, but frankly you sound like an opinionated 15 year old Nirvana fan telling everyone how untouchable Kurt Cobain is.

Yeah, and I sound the same way when I talk about the Offspring. So what? Do you need tea and crumpets and a british accent to have an oppinion or what? I'm passionate about the things I'm passionate about. It's silly to draw a comparison with 12 year old n sync fans, just because they like something too. That makes about as much sense as banning bread because 99% of the serial killers consume it. There is a connection and a paralelle and it's true but the question is, is it relavant? No it isn't.

But I disagree that comedians aren't artists. I think true, talented comedians are, because there is an art to the craft of writing a good joke. Obviously comedians like Carlos Mencia that steal jokes, or ones like Dane Cook or Robin Williams that don't tell jokes and just make random noises aren't artists, but I would say that a good comedian is in fact an artist.

A good comedian is a writer, and writers are artists.

End of story.

Thomas
09-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Shit I said he might just not get it because he's not smart enough and or might not know the material, or know it well enough, and all of a sudden it's:

anyone who doesn't worship Carlin is mentally retarded according to me.

http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/facepalm.gif

Oxygene
09-16-2008, 10:03 AM
http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/facepalm.gif

I see a whole lot of thought went into that post. Don't wear yourself out :D

HornyPope
09-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Um, I don't wanna sound insulting (I will, but I sincerely don't want to), but ... and this is only limited to George Carlin, he's my only other obsession as strong as Offspring ... if you know his material (try reading it, so the funny doesn't distract you as much) properly, and you don't feel a kinship or eurkea, then you might not have the intellectual ability to understand it / appreciate it, because a lot of that material is funny on the surface, but there are very serious and smart messages involved. Kind of like the courtjester back in the medival days.

If that's the case, the fault lies within you, and that's why you are clueless as to why others can connect and you can't.

If you still don't understand / believe me, then search for a modern man on youtube, or find his bit advertising lullabye, and then listen to the break down in stuff is messed up. Just a little background info: Dexter said he didn't get the inspiration from GC, that it was his own idea.

I heard couple of his stand ups at a friend's house but I can't say I'm really familiar with him or I had the time to go through the text for the intelligent meaning behind it.

My point though wasn't so much about the genius of the performer but rather the artistic worth of his material. To me, artists create their material and bare their souls in the process. Comedians, on other hand, are more of a "delivery vehicule" that adopt a shtick or a role of a funnyman to ease their job. They don't as much create as they interpret what's around them, on top of tweaking their material to more readily reach the masses.

On a very basic level I think you're able to connect with celebrities in such positions through being exposed to their personalities. If you can put a face to the name of the deceased then it's all the more sad then if you can't, and obviously if you actually know something what they were like and how they lived their life then even more so. Right now I really don't have the patience to articulate what I mean just how I'd like to, I've re-read what I've written tens of times and I know it doesn't sound right. But I'm sure you can understand what I'm trying to say.

Personality is just a context that helps you understand the performer (whether an artist or a comedian), it is never an art in itself unless you have invented it like Charlie Chaplin.
And how much of their personality do you really know anyways?

Oxygene
09-16-2008, 10:39 AM
I heard couple of his stand ups at a friend's house but I can't say I'm really familiar with him or I had the time to go through the text for the intelligent meaning behind it.

My point though wasn't so much about the genius of the performer but rather the artistic worth of his material. To me, artists create their material and bare their souls in the process. Comedians, on other hand, are more of a "delivery vehicule" that adopt a shtick or a role of a funnyman to ease their job. They don't as much create as they interpret what's around them, on top of tweaking their material to more readily reach the masses.

Thank you. Not only have you answered, but you've also proved that you aren't too stupid to understand.

I think you are right, but only to an extent where comediens don't perform original material. I have to agree with whoever said he finds real comedians as some of the most artistic of todays entertainers.

Jakebert
09-16-2008, 10:59 AM

I disagree with that. A good comedian does bare their souls in front of their audience. Listen to someone like Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor, Lenny Bruce, or any of the great comedians of all time and try to tell me that they aren't bearing their souls up on stage.

JohnnyNemesis
09-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Richard Pryor might be my favorite entertainer of all time. I wrote a paper on how crucial some of his work is, and hopefully when I get home I can take some ideas from it so that I can explain myself a bit more.

coke_a_holic
09-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Oxygene, you're ridiculously pretentious, and obviously not very bright, so it's very difficult for you to back up your own bravado.

So can it.

Oxygene
09-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Oxygene, you're ridiculously pretentious, and obviously not very bright, so it's very difficult for you to back up your own bravado.

So can it.

Score!!!!

You're telling the "your too dumb to understand dude" he's too dumb to understand.

I bow before your superior intellect, and creativity :D

bighead384
09-16-2008, 12:22 PM

So can it.

Quit being a faggot.

Saying he sounds like a 15 year Nirvana fan isn't the nicest thing to say, but that's something that can be taken as a lighthearted joke. If he was to get upset about that, the "stop crying" is applicable. Seriously guys, I understand that. But you're just being a condescending dickhead, coke_a_holic. One or more of you "bitter intellectual" cocksuckers acts like this in almost every thread, and then you either try to justify it or say people are too sensitive.

JohnnyNemesis
09-16-2008, 12:50 PM
"bitter intellectual"

Stop your goddamned crying alfuckingready.

you either try to justify it or say people are too sensitive.

Or justify it by pointing out that people are, in fact, too sensitive. Which is true.

bighead384
09-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Stop your goddamned crying alfuckingready.

"bitter intellectual"

I call it like I see it.

Or justify it by pointing out that people are, in fact, too sensitive. Which is true.

Sometimes yes, a lot of the time, no.

JohnnyNemesis
09-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Are you really trying to suggest that my nonsense profanity is an example of me being "intellectual"? You can't be serious. Or maybe I'm stupidly misreading, which would only prove you wrong even more?

bighead384
09-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Are you really trying to suggest that my nonsense profanity is an example of me being "intellectual"? You can't be serious. Or maybe I'm stupidly misreading, which would only prove you wrong even more?

No. It's an example of you being bitter. Although I must say you haven't really been like that as much lately, unless it's just a coincidence.

Superdope
09-16-2008, 01:06 PM
It's sad when a thread about the death of Richard motherfucking Wright gets derailed to the same old discussion.

JohnnyNemesis
09-16-2008, 01:07 PM
No. It's an example of you being bitter. Although I must say you haven't really been like that as much lately, unless it's just a coincidence.

I didn't notice. If anything it's because I respect how well you've handled certain things and how cool you've been about lots of other things lately. Not everything, of course, but yeah. I'm still callin' it like I see it m'self.

Off topic: did you guys hear that the keyboard dude from Pink Floyd died?

coke_a_holic
09-16-2008, 01:17 PM
But you're just being a condescending dickhead, coke_a_holic.

So wait, you read Oxygene's posts, and I'm the one being condescending? You need to reevaluate your standards.

Also, I never claimed I wasn't bitter or a cocksucker, so that really isn't doing much for your argument.

On-topic: Pink Floyd was a pretty sweet band and I'm fairly bummed that Wright is dead. It was pretty unexpected and generally just too bad.

bighead384
09-16-2008, 01:29 PM
So wait, you read Oxygene's posts, and I'm the one being condescending? You need to reevaluate your standards.

Also, I never claimed I wasn't bitter or a cocksucker, so that really isn't doing much for your argument.

If you some of you people weren't so good at lying to yourselves so you can see things the way you want, maybe things would be different.

Dude. You claimed that he was an unintelligent person. That's about as condescending is it gets. Your going to sit there and compare THAT to what Oxygene said? It's not even close. Hell, I personally think you all just misunderstood him.

Thomas
09-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Dude. You claimed that he was an unintelligent person. That's about as condescending is it gets. Your going to sit there and compare THAT to what Oxygene said? It's not even close. Hell, I personally think you all just misunderstood him.

you might not have the intellectual ability to understand it / appreciate it

Goooooooo team!

bighead384
09-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Taking things out of context RULES!

HornyPope
09-16-2008, 03:31 PM
I disagree with that. A good comedian does bare their souls in front of their audience. Listen to someone like Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor, Lenny Bruce, or any of the great comedians of all time and try to tell me that they aren't bearing their souls up on stage.

Hmm... examples?
I went through two youtube skits, "prison" and "on the N word" by Richard Pryor and I don't see any soul bearing. I se populist anecdotes in a commical way to approach and relate the audience to the performer.

JohnnyNemesis
09-16-2008, 03:52 PM
If you some of you people weren't so good at lying to yourselves so you can see things the way you want

Let's be real now, this is pure fucking GOLD coming from you.

randman21
09-16-2008, 04:03 PM
if you know his material (try reading it, so the funny doesn't distract you as much) properly, and you don't feel a kinship or eurkea, then you might not have the intellectual ability to understand it / appreciate it, because a lot of that material is funny on the surface, but there are very serious and smart messages involved. Kind of like the courtjester back in the medival days.

Bighead, how about that for context? I think you're starting to take post count into consideration when you pick sides. If somebody had said "you don't like the Amish because you're not smart enough to appreciate how not wasteful they are," you'd feel pretty indignant, no?

Oxygene, the problem is that Carlin's stuff isn't that smart. I'm a fan, but I've never mistaken his material for being high-brow. Even in the '70s, he was doing some toilet humor, a lot of political, and a little smart. You at least have to have a dictionary to follow Dennis Miller.

P.S. So lemme get this straight. Jakebert, you don't like Nirvana? And PilZ-E, you stopped liking Offspring?

Thomas
09-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Taking things out of context RULES!

fine.

Tell me how that was in ANY WAY out of context.

bighead384
09-16-2008, 05:21 PM
He said he didn't mean to be insulting, and that he thinks that some people might not have the intellectual ability to appreciate it. Then a few pages later, even while he was trying to explain that he didn't mean to come across like that, you have people absolutely dedicated to making him feel like an ass, and you have people calling him an unintelligent person.

I guess I shouldn't have really stressed the "taking it out of context" part, as the bigger issue was that you guys were making a HUGE deal out of the slightest undertone of arrogance, which I believe was misunderstood to begin with.

WebDudette
09-16-2008, 05:31 PM
This derailment is partially my fault, I apologize. I know Oxygene didn't mean to come across as angry or attacking, neither did I.

But I have to mention that one of my other pet peeves is the 'my point is infallible because I said MIGHT' argument.

P.S. So lemme get this straight. Jakebert, you don't like Nirvana? And PilZ-E, you stopped liking Offspring?

I don't like either band, but I fail to see the relevancy?

bighead384
09-16-2008, 05:33 PM
But I have to mention that one of my other pet peeves is the 'my point is infallible because I said MIGHT' argument.

It depends on the situation. Saying "Some people might not understand this movie because it's complicated" is one thing. Saying "I thought pigs might be able to fly" is a different story.

randman21
09-16-2008, 05:39 PM
I don't like either band, but I fail to see the relevancy?
No real relevance, just that it seems you mention it every ten minutes.

It depends on the situation. Saying "Some people might not understand this movie because it's complicated" is one thing. Saying "I thought pigs might be able to fly" is a different story.
There's still a difference. What he's saying is more like "You don't like this movie because you might not be smart enough to understand it." You have a point about it not being a big deal, though I felt it was necessary for PilZ to point out what he did.

WebDudette
09-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Never mind, I shouldn't have said anything. You might not be smart enough to fully comprehend my posts and therefore cannot properly appreciate my genius.

bighead384
09-16-2008, 05:52 PM
But you're talking about me specifically. That's not what Oxygene was doing.

randman21
09-16-2008, 05:55 PM
I believe that was @ me. And he's right.

Also, R.I.P. Richard Wright.

WebDudette
09-16-2008, 05:57 PM
No, it wasn't directed towards anyone, just an example. Though Oxy was referring to Hornypope.

bighead384
09-16-2008, 06:11 PM
No, it wasn't directed towards anyone, just an example. Though Oxy was referring to Hornypope.

Alright, I looked at it again, and I think he said the wrong things in his first post. I'll admit it. But by the end of the very first page, things should have been cleared up. It just bothers me that people were so dedicated to making a war out of it and being unnecessarily disrespectful.

Thomas
09-16-2008, 06:15 PM
It just bothers me that people were so dedicated to making a war out of it and being unnecessarily disrespectful.

*cough* *cough*

bighead384
09-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I know what you're doing Thomas. Next time I call someone out on being a dickhead, I'll be sure not to say harsh insults (even though I wouldn't be doing in the first place if some people weren't so damn lame). Obviously people like to shift the focus onto that and I'm just giving people ammo. Lesson learned.

Llamas
09-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Seriously, bighead, stop it already. Every thread that is like 12 pages I swear to god is full of YOU ARGUING WITH PEOPLE. It always comes back to YOU.

HornyPope
09-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Seriously, bighead, stop it already. Every thread that is like 12 pages I swear to god is full of YOU ARGUING WITH PEOPLE. It always comes back to YOU.

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all!!!

Ryder1234
09-16-2008, 11:48 PM
If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all!!!

Except to Bighead. That's a good thing.

bighead384
09-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Except to Bighead. That's a good thing.

See, this is the kind of shit I can write off as just general bullshitting. Doesn't bother me at all. It's really isn't that I take things too seriously, it's just that there really is some lame shit that some people constantly pull.

Ryder1234
09-17-2008, 12:09 AM
If it doesn't bother you, why post anything about it?

bighead384
09-17-2008, 12:11 AM
If it doesn't bother you, why post anything about it?

Again, this happens to me. I had a feeling someone would say that. I don't think it necessarily means it bothered me because I posted. I was making another point.

Ninty Man
09-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Fuck, when I knew about this I smiled... I really hate everything that represents Pink Floyd- and forgive me- I am expecting the day when Waters and Gilmour will pass away so I could have a nice day- besides other nice days I have-. Sorry, you should ignore this post, I respect Pink Floyd and everyone who likes them, BUT HOW MUCH I HATE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON. XD Yes, I'm an ignorant about Floyd- I didn't realize they had keyboards, or piano, or whatever that is- but I can't stand them

IamSam
09-17-2008, 12:52 AM
See, this is the kind of shit I can write off as just general bullshitting. Doesn't bother me at all. It's really isn't that I take things too seriously, it's just that there really is some lame shit that some people constantly pull.

Guaranteed that if I had said it or JN had said it you would be all over it screaming 'intellectual' or whatever the hell your battle cry is now.

0r4ng3
09-17-2008, 01:02 AM
Dude, Ninty Man, that's messed up. I can see how you don't like Pink Floyd, but wishing for their deaths (and finding gratification in them) I find a bit excessive.

JohnnyNemesis
09-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Guaranteed that if I had said it or JN had said it you would be all over it screaming 'intellectual' or whatever the hell your battle cry is now.

I was just thinking that, actually, but I decided to let it slide.

Btw, what the fuck. Ninty Man? That's too much.

Little_Miss_1565
09-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Fuck, when I knew about this I smiled... I really hate everything that represents Pink Floyd- and forgive me- I am expecting the day when Waters and Gilmour will pass away so I could have a nice day- besides other nice days I have-. Sorry, you should ignore this post, I respect Pink Floyd and everyone who likes them, BUT HOW MUCH I HATE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON. XD Yes, I'm an ignorant about Floyd- I didn't realize they had keyboards, or piano, or whatever that is- but I can't stand them

Dude, WTF. I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan either but you can't deny how fucking amazing Dark Side of the Moon is. And clearly you've never actually heard it and just have some kind of bizarre hatred of it, because if you had heard it you would know clear as day that they had loads of keyboards.

So yeah. Not much of a Floyd fan at all but it's kind of fucked up to be celebrating that someone died. I saw Waters at Coachella this year and it was pretty awesome despite the not being all that into Floyd thing.

Jakebert
09-17-2008, 09:28 AM
He hates Pink Floyd because that's what punks in the 70's did to look cool and nonmainstream.

Get with the times dude and hate Coldplay like all of the modern punk.

Oxygene
09-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Goooooooo team!

Thomas, what you quoted had a point and was a part of reasoning.. It doesn't however change the fact, that people who aren't smart enough to understand and appreciate shit with meanings where you have to think, aren't gonna connect and become fans and bummed out when a comedian dies.

I put that out there as a possibility of many, I pointed out I don't want to sound insulting...

Saying I'm like a 15 year old nirvana fan is completley irrelevant.. hell he should've just called me a Hungarian.

Not only that I said that whoever the fuck I was talking to might not be smart enough.. I didn't state that he was retarded because he didn't like Carlin, where as shit said to me wasn't said in such a way.

Just because there is a consensus on something doesn't make it so...

Little_Miss_1565
09-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Thomas, what you quoted had a point and was a part of reasoning.. It doesn't however change the fact, that people who aren't smart enough to understand and appreciate shit with meanings where you have to think, aren't gonna connect and become fans and bummed out when a comedian dies.

Oxy, you know how I feel about George Carlin.

I think it is entirely possible that people who don't like his work do indeed possess the ability to understand him fully. Sometimes, because tastes are personal, they may still not like him. Saying that anyone who disagrees is imbecillic is not a mature way to go about it, and I think that's what Thomas was trying to get at.

No reason to get personal about it.

Oxygene
09-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Oxy, you know how I feel about George Carlin.

I think it is entirely possible that people who don't like his work do indeed possess the ability to understand him fully. Sometimes, because tastes are personal, they may still not like him. Saying that anyone who disagrees is imbecillic is not a mature way to go about it, and I think that's what Thomas was trying to get at.

No reason to get personal about it.

It is however very very very unlikley if not impossible, to truly adora and admire him, without fully understanding his messages.

Oxygene
09-17-2008, 10:51 AM
This is FUCKING RIDICULOUS.

I told I think HornyPope that he might not like stand up comedians (or George Carlin to be more specific) because you need a bunch of intelligence to truly appreciate his art.

You don't need to be smart to like good music
You don't need to be smart to apprecaite a fine painting
You DO need to be smart to appreciate a good comedian.

That's all I fucking pointed out. I also btw mentioned that there could be other reasons.

Whoever said that using the word "might" is shitty:
Well I'm not certain, I don't know HornyPope well enough, I don't know how well he knows his material, there are a number of reasons he isn't able to connect... fuck for all I know he's missing the "comedy central" part of his brain. I ventured on the more likley reasons.
He might also just not like Carlin, because HP is a born again christian, the fuck if I know.. hence the word might.

People what I'm saying is real fucking simple, please...

Little_Miss_1565
09-17-2008, 11:46 AM
It is however very very very unlikley if not impossible, to truly adora and admire him, without fully understanding his messages.

Well, yes. If someone likes him I would take it to mean that they understand his views. But if people don't't like him, there's the chance that it's not because they don't get it.

Thomas
09-17-2008, 12:25 PM
I may not be the smartest guy around, but i ain't no dummy. I did make into and attend a college prep high school that was ranked 13th in the nation among high schools, just as an example of me not being retarded. I'm far from being a strong Christian/Catholic as well, but I'm not necessarily an atheist either.

That being said, I don't think George Carlin is as great as you say he is. Is it because I'm dumb, or even the possibility that I'm not smart enough to comprehend his work? no. It just means that he doesn't appeal to me and I don't find him THAT funny. We could use the same argument that you MIGHT be stupid BECAUSE you think George Carlin is a genius, and you couldn't refute that either.

Do you see where we are coming from?

drex878
09-17-2008, 12:51 PM
I may not be the smartest guy around, but i ain't no dummy. I did make into and attend a college prep high school that was ranked 13th in the nation among high schools, just as an example of me not being retarded. I'm far from being a strong Christian/Catholic as well, but I'm not necessarily an atheist either.

That being said, I don't think George Carlin is as great as you say he is. Is it because I'm dumb, or even the possibility that I'm not smart enough to comprehend his work? no. It just means that he doesn't appeal to me and I don't find him THAT funny. We could use the same argument that you MIGHT be stupid BECAUSE you think George Carlin is a genius, and you couldn't refute that either.

I believe you've posted in the wrong "_____" is DEAD. thread. Either that or this has gotten way off topic.

Thomas
09-17-2008, 12:58 PM
I believe you've posted in the wrong "_____" is DEAD. thread. Either that or this has gotten way off topic.

Read the thread. It's WAAAAAAAAAAAY off topic.

Speaking of which, this is actually really sad. he made Pink Floyd what it is (was) much more than Roger Waters or David Gilmour. I've never been a HUGE fan of Pink Floyd, but I believe most people don't appreciate what Richard Wright did for music for years to follow him.

WebDudette
09-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Claiming someone does not like an artist, comedian, actor, or musician because they are not intelligent enough to comprehend it is a fucking pathetic argument. That is all there is too it.

It isn't the fact that you originally used MIGHT at all, it is the fact that for some reason your point becomes irrefutable because you used the word MIGHT.

ugh, this is pointless. again, I apologize.

I guess it kind of sucks that he died but I can't really feel compassion for anything that doesn't directly effect me.

Ninty Man
09-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Dude, WTF. I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan either but you can't deny how fucking amazing Dark Side of the Moon is. And clearly you've never actually heard it and just have some kind of bizarre hatred of it, because if you had heard it you would know clear as day that they had loads of keyboards.

So yeah. Not much of a Floyd fan at all but it's kind of fucked up to be celebrating that someone died. I saw Waters at Coachella this year and it was pretty awesome despite the not being all that into Floyd thing.

MMM... Ok, last time I will post here, since I don't wanna begin some troubles here:

Yes, I listened dark side of the moon, several times... plenty in fact. I just... can't take that level of shit and pretend I like it. I really think is way too pretentious. I will EVER listen to it again, I sold it to my friend for ten bucks, and he was so excited.

Jakebert: I don't share any real "punk" feeling about the 70's- in fact, I don't recognize Sex Pistols as punk- and I love Led Zepellin, Van Galen and other mainstream bands. I... used to like Coldplay, but now is just... boring to me. I prefer AC/DC XD.

PS: I know is sick being glad by their deaths, but... hey! I'm a misantrope

JohnnyNemesis
09-17-2008, 10:13 PM
I think the word you're looking for is "dumbass", not "misanthrope".

ninthlayer
09-17-2008, 11:50 PM
I guess it kind of sucks that he died but I can't really feel compassion for anything that doesn't directly effect me.
Can I start referring to you as my understudy?

ps: Conversation I had a work yesterday:
"Did you hear that Richard Wright died?"
"He was still alive?"

Oxygene
09-18-2008, 04:28 AM
Well, yes. If someone likes him I would take it to mean that they understand his views. But if people don't't like him, there's the chance that it's not because they don't get it.

He didn't understand how people can connect to comedians as artist. My response is, those who aren't smart enough can't appreciate it. That's all I stated.. your answer to that is "Well Yes" I never said people smart enough to understand carlin have to like him.

You definatley aren't the smartest guy around, and I won't address the dummy part to stay civil. I said PEOPLE WHO AREN'T SMART ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND HIM CAN'T APPRECIATE HIM THUS CAN'T CONNECT.

I also didn't say "ANYONE WHO DOESN'T LIKE HIM HAS TO DEFACTO BE UNINTELLIGENT OR STUPID"

You, with your elite alma mater came up with that all on your own, and you don't seem to get the fact that I never said that.

Again, in case you missed it again:
You need to be smart to appreciate it.
You don't have to appreciate it to be smart.

Do you still firmly believe "We could use the same argument that you MIGHT be stupid BECAUSE you think George Carlin is a genius, and you couldn't refute that either."?

Claiming someone does not like an artist, comedian, actor, or musician because they are not intelligent enough to comprehend it is a fucking pathetic argument. That is all there is too it.

Is it as pathetic, as not understanding THAT or is it more pathetic?

It isn't the fact that you originally used MIGHT at all, it is the fact that for some reason your point becomes irrefutable because you used the word MIGHT.

My point isn't irrefutable, the fact is that people put words in my mouth, that I didn't say. They took out the "might" and said I stated that (amongst other things) as a fact, then I come around saying "hey wait a second, you took out a word" and all of a sudden somehow, I'm pathetic, because someone takes out something from I said.

Very constructive

The Search Button
09-18-2008, 05:56 AM
OMG! What's happening with people?

They keep on dying every day.

Rutegard
09-18-2008, 05:58 AM
OMG! What's happening with people?

They keep on dying every day.

have no idea!

i intend to live forever...and ya know how it goes right?

so far...

so good!

HornyPope
09-18-2008, 08:49 AM
This is FUCKING RIDICULOUS.

I told I think HornyPope that he might not like stand up comedians (or George Carlin to be more specific) because you need a bunch of intelligence to truly appreciate his art.

That's all I fucking pointed out. I also btw mentioned that there could be other reasons.

Whoever said that using the word "might" is shitty:
Well I'm not certain, I don't know HornyPope well enough, I don't know how well he knows his material, there are a number of reasons he isn't able to connect... fuck for all I know he's missing the "comedy central" part of his brain. I ventured on the more likley reasons.
He might also just not like Carlin, because HP is a born again christian, the fuck if I know.. hence the word might.

People what I'm saying is real fucking simple, please...

Hey now are you insinuating that born-again Christians are bad people? Srsly now, what kind of a fucking asshole are you? :mad::mad::mad:

Oxygene
09-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Hey now are you insinuating that born-again Christians are bad people? Srsly now, what kind of a fucking asshole are you? :mad::mad::mad:

I hope that was a joke

For the record: born again christians don't like carlin 'cause carlin bashes christianity not because born again christians are too stupid, although they might be too stupid, if they are too stupid, but if they aren't too stupid then they aren't too stupid, but they sure as hell can appreciate paintings and sculptres

Llamas
09-18-2008, 02:18 PM

Wow, I've stayed out of this argument because of how ridiculous it is... but this right here... this is gold. Music, paintings, and comedy ALL have a lot in common. That includes the fact that they can be viewed on a simplistic level AND on a complex level. I could guarantee you that I have a more intelligent appreciation for music than you do, and being musically educated and intelligent regarding music DOES open your mind up to music that the average person wouldn't appreciate. However, the SAME goes for comedy. I don't know much about stand up comedy, and don't really wish to. It's not my thing. But I can appreciate certain comedians on a surface level. If I wanted to, I could learn more and end up loving more comedians on deeper levels, just like you could learn more about music. Not liking Carlin does not equal being stupid, and you don't have to be particularly smart to think he's funny. I know a lot of dumbasses who love him.

Thomas
09-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Wow, I've stayed out of this argument because of how ridiculous it is... but this right here... this is gold. Music, paintings, and comedy ALL have a lot in common. That includes the fact that they can be viewed on a simplistic level AND on a complex level. I could guarantee you that I have a more intelligent appreciation for music than you do, and being musically educated and intelligent regarding music DOES open your mind up to music that the average person wouldn't appreciate. However, the SAME goes for comedy. I don't know much about stand up comedy, and don't really wish to. It's not my thing. But I can appreciate certain comedians on a surface level. If I wanted to, I could learn more and end up loving more comedians on deeper levels, just like you could learn more about music. Not liking Carlin does not equal being stupid, and you don't have to be particularly smart to think he's funny. I know a lot of dumbasses who love him.

I can haz yur babiez?

Llamas
09-18-2008, 02:26 PM
I can haz yur babiez?

mah babiez iz hott commodity but u kan triyyyy

Thomas
09-18-2008, 02:42 PM
I can haz teh sects!!!11!!1!

JohnnyNemesis
09-18-2008, 09:15 PM
hay guise who havin sects?

Thomas
09-18-2008, 09:19 PM
3sum? plz?

Llamas
09-18-2008, 10:36 PM
hay guise who havin sects?

definitely not u!!! LOLZErs!!

Ryder1234
09-18-2008, 10:47 PM
o hai wahts goin on here!?

Oxygene
09-19-2008, 04:17 AM

You don't have to appreciate it to be smart.

You could've just selected the shit I said all over this thread and quote it, you would've saved yourself a whole lot of typing.

I'm having troubles in other arguments on this board, would you mind coming in and repeating what I basically said in those places too? I could use the support.

FYI:

apprecate <> thinks it's funny

Also you might just be SOOO smart and above everyone else, that maybe people who you consider dumbasses, are actually brilliant minds, but since the contrast is SOOO great since you are so intelligent ESPECIALLY in music, and way more than almost everyone else, but me for sure, that it's hard for you to ball park others. You know.. from so high up.

You see... I could guarantee you that even with my lack of musical education, I wrote better music than you ever will before I turned 20. But be that as it may, guarantees like that only a kid in kindergarden would use. Maybe a musically very intelligent kid in kindergarden... like baby Mozart perhaps?

You see.. my god has a bigger dick than your god.

Thomas
09-19-2008, 10:27 AM
No sects 4 u! :mad::mad::mad:

dum-a$$

Oxygene
09-19-2008, 10:44 AM
No sects 4 u! :mad::mad::mad:

dum-a$$

ok that was at least a little bit funny.

Thomas
09-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Yeah, I definitely can't live up to the humor your posts have been bringing. Funnier than George Carlin, I might add...

Oxygene
09-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I definitely can't live up to the humor your posts have been bringing. Funnier than George Carlin, I might add...

Yeah well we all have our limits.. I'll never have the superior ubermensch intellect you all have, so I guess it evens out in the long run...

T-6005
09-19-2008, 10:50 AM
You could've just selected the shit I said all over this thread and quote it, you would've saved yourself a whole lot of typing.

I'm having troubles in other arguments on this board, would you mind coming in and repeating what I basically said in those places too? I could use the support.

FYI:

apprecate <> thinks it's funny

Also you might just be SOOO smart and above everyone else, that maybe people who you consider dumbasses, are actually brilliant minds, but since the contrast is SOOO great since you are so intelligent ESPECIALLY in music, and way more than almost everyone else, but me for sure, that it's hard for you to ball park others. You know.. from so high up.

You see... I could guarantee you that even with my lack of musical education, I wrote better music than you ever will before I turned 20. But be that as it may, guarantees like that only a kid in kindergarden would use. Maybe a musically very intelligent kid in kindergarden... like baby Mozart perhaps?

You see.. my god has a bigger dick than your god.

Hahaha, what?

Speak English.

Cock Joke
09-19-2008, 03:18 PM
I WAN SECTS 2 caps

Llamas
09-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Hahaha, what?

Speak English.

Thank you for posting my thoughts.

HornyPope
09-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Hahaha, what?

Speak English.

I thought his English was okay. He's just really frustrated he has to reply to Llama. Read his post again and see how he bares his soul as he struggles with immense stupiditidy.

I watched "Burn after Reading" last week. Funny movie. The theme is about how hard it is to deal with people and that after a while you just stop fucking caring. Or worse, you can explode. So to relate this to Oxy's post, his course of action and his choice of words may not be the optimal choice, nor they are most elegant, they are understandable in the grand context. If you understand the context and understand his pain, you will understand what he says. After all, you don't have to be really smart to appreciate what other people say or the meanings or the sincerity behind their words. You just can't be fucking stupid, cause stupid people don't understand shit.