PDA

View Full Version : When are The Offspring going to start playing their songs from it's real tunning?

offsrx
09-16-2008, 03:41 AM
hi everyone
i have to say that my greatest band in the world (The Offspring) has dissapointed me. Why?
Because if u are a musician(or if u aren't) you will notice that they had entier carieer (94-present) have been playing songs with guitars 1/2 step turned down. Why?
Probably because Dexter can't sing that ptich as he sings in the studio. Then next question is why are they doing in studio what they can't do live? I don't know...
If u don't beleve me, play these songs live (on winamp or whatever u are using 2 play music) and those same songs in studio, infact play them thogether in same moment and u will see that it does't match. in fact it is a mismatch.
Songs:

Half-Truism
TKAA
WDYGAJ?
Pretty Fly
The NOose
All I want
Gone Away
Gotta get Away
Self Esteem(that one is so obvious)
Come out and play
Dirty magic(acoustic one in studio)
Feelings
Can't repeat(obvious one too)
Have u Ever
Da Hui

The list goes on...

Rutegard
09-16-2008, 04:15 AM
actually it does not bother me...

i just wanna go there and have a decent time, and i think dex can sing live like he does in the studio, but in order to do so, probably he wouldn't be able to sing another entire show let's say...the day after? 'cause that's what they do while touring...so no problem for me at all, i even get it!

Dexter_italy
09-16-2008, 04:19 AM
if you are a musician you will know that most bands out there play half step down....because in studio you have all the time to sing it right and you do 1 track a day. In live you have 22 songs to sing, for 3\4 days a week... Don't be an idiot and get lost in things that really don't have sense....

randman21
09-16-2008, 04:28 AM
I've noticed this for a while. It doesn't bother me, but I have wished that they do it in normal tuning, because it mostly always sounds better. I read in an interview a long time ago where Dexter said he sings it as high as is comfortable, to get all the energy and intensity out into the song.

Rutegard
09-16-2008, 04:36 AM
i think it's completely understandable

FellDrake
09-16-2008, 07:33 AM
There are worlds between "not possible" and "just more convenient".
Although Dexter's voice isn't as good as it was 10 Years ago he surely could sing the standard tunes. But why risk damaging your voice when you just can tune the guitars down a bit? It's perfectly normal. A lot of bands do that. And I always prefer standard tuned guitars on a CD since it makes it easier to play along with the songs and write the notes down. Offspring is one of the few band out there that still use standard-tuning and I'm thankful for it.

Also, every song is written in a certain key. I'm sure the band does that on purpose (so do we when we write songs). It's not like "oh, I can't sing that one in E, let's just play it in ... let's say G!". Every key carries its own feeling and it's important to catch that feeling on CD.

Little_Miss_1565
09-16-2008, 09:00 AM
As it's been pointed out...bands do this all the freaking time. And not because they can't sing as high (that's kind of ridiculous -- if you can hit a high note, chances are it's not that much of a difference to sing another high note half a step up). Singers go flat all the time live. It can be really, really hard to hear yourself onstage, so it can be hard to keep yourself in tune. If the entire band is already flat, then the singer sounds rad. ;)

If you had ever been in a rock band, you would understand.

Oxygene
09-16-2008, 09:41 AM
This thread has to be one of the most fucking ridiculous threads ever.

He does it so he doesn't strain his voice to death.

Idiot.

Kennytar
09-16-2008, 10:16 AM

i have nothing to add!!!

Redjie
09-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Lmao critical, zomg! Seriously. No, seriously.
I think we would all love if he lost his voice ater the first, say, 10 songs.
Well, we could always sing for him, right? :rolleyes:
Seriously.

medi01
09-16-2008, 11:29 AM
...the only song that i've noticed them play down is when they play anything acoustically as they may play either 1 or 2 steps down (eg they played 2 steps down for nothingtown acoustic)

...it makes me think ur kina an idiot if that is why ur dissapointed with a band

jacknife737
09-16-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't care.

Rutegard
09-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Lmao critical, zomg! Seriously. No, seriously.
I think we would all love if he lost his voice ater the first, say, 10 songs.
Well, we could always sing for him, right? :rolleyes:
Seriously.

ahahah that would be cool...

LOLOL

Redjie
09-16-2008, 02:53 PM
ahahah that would be cool...

LOLOL

yeah.
something like.
his voice starts to fail, dexter throws the guitar away, sits down on the floor pouting, "NOW YOU SING IF YOU WANT TO". Then keeps pouting.
okay, right. ignore me

Rutegard
09-16-2008, 02:56 PM
yeah.
something like.
his voice starts to fail, dexter throws the guitar away, sits down on the floor pouting, "NOW YOU SING IF YOU WANT TO". Then keeps pouting.
okay, right. ignore me

HAAHA yeah and then we all sit down next to dex
VERY QUiET
so we can hear him

AAHAHAHAH

AWESOME

ThunderPX
09-16-2008, 04:22 PM
they had entier carieer (94-present)

*stops reading*

mota0000
09-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Yeah, the Offspring tune down live for every song, have done since 1994 I think, but they dont have stupidly complex songs, so you can still tell what they're playing, and it still sounds great. Saves Dexter's voice also
This is the wrong forum for it, but DragonForce tune down live, and it sounds absolutely crap due to the complex nature of the songs.
So i guess some bands can make tuning down live work, and some can't.
There is a Green Day concert from 2001 i think where they actually tune half a step up oddly enough, that sounds pretty weird

Sinister
09-16-2008, 05:18 PM
This is the wrong forum for it, but StudioForce tune down live, and it sounds absolutely crap due to the fact they can't actually play for shit and their CD work is all studio magic.
Fixed .

Ryder1234
09-16-2008, 05:39 PM
It sounds better.

Free?
09-16-2008, 06:06 PM
I think that you bash offsrx ways too much. He didn't deserve that! He didn't say anything that stupid or offensive towards you or the band. He just didn't think about answers you gave to him.

Offsrx, don't take it too serious, calm down and re-read the whole thread. People here had some points, some of them were just too over the top. Oki? :)

offsrx
09-16-2008, 06:25 PM
U guys are missing the point. All i'm saying is that why are they doing in studio what they can't do live?
because if u see When you are tunning guitars down, the songs lose it's emotion. 4 example:
-TKAA isn't that sad and touching when is tunned down and I feel like it's some diffrent song than one in studio
-Self esteem sounds like drunken irish-man is singing and not dexter
-TKAA has same chords as Self Esteem when it's tunned down(in the beguinning "LALALALA.." part)
And if so why they don't do some more songs from real tunning sometimes instead? For example: Why not play on 1 concert TKAA in real, on 2nd Self Esteem in real, then tomorrow WDYGAJ in real etc. So that they at least show that Dexter Can sing those songs, but it's kinda hard 4 throat 2 sing every song in real.But no, i haven't seen them play any of those songs in real tunning ever!

offsrx
09-16-2008, 06:37 PM
...the only song that i've noticed them play down is when they play anything acoustically as they may play either 1 or 2 steps down (eg they played 2 steps down for nothingtown acoustic)

...it makes me think ur kina an idiot if that is why ur dissapointed with a band

Play any of songs that I posted that are not in real tunning, and play the studio version. IN SAME MOMENT
And u will see that they don't match.
It makes u an idiot if u can't hear obvious mismtch

offsrx
09-16-2008, 06:43 PM

He does it so he doesn't strain his voice to death.

Idiot.

U're an idiot.
Why then is he straining his voice to death in studio?
Changing the tune u change the song.
Can I say fuck u?

offsrx
09-16-2008, 06:57 PM
I think that you bash offsrx ways too much. He didn't deserve that! He didn't say anything that stupid or offensive towards you or the band. He just didn't think about answers you gave to him.

Offsrx, don't take it too serious, calm down and re-read the whole thread. People here had some points, some of them were just too over the top. Oki? :)

thx Man:)
Why are everybody such a jackasses?
I just want 2 say that it would be cool if they play more of songs in real tunning, because it's the way songs were ment 2 be!
i just wanna say FUCK YOU 4 everyone who laugh out to me and making this tread a whole crap out it.
I am trying to make an Offspring tribute band and it's hard 2 copy them
belive me IT SOUNDS BETTER IN REAL TUNNING!
IF THEY CAN'T DO REAL TUNNING OF ALL I WANT WHY THEY DIDN'T DO THAT IN STUDIO?
oxygene, medi01, Fuck u okay?

offsrx
09-16-2008, 07:15 PM
And why is Dexter singing u're gonna go far kid and hammerhead and CGMHAY in real tuning when those are vocaly one of the hardest songs to sing?
I hated when pepole were telling me that my greatest band in the world sucks live, and i found out that they dont suck live but they tune down...
It would be cool if they try more songs to play in real. As much as Dexter can hold on..
I though that this forum is not created to laughout to someone and insult them
but to disscuss like normal pepole?
of course when oxygen and medi01 are online u can't talk like normal pepole cause they are not...

jacknife737
09-16-2008, 07:18 PM
To be honest, I donít really notice when I watch their live performances, it just doesnít seem like a big deal to me. And like other people have mentioned, itís common practice, especially for punk bands. It's great that you're so passionate, but I suggest don't get too upset over matters like this, that you have no control over.

randman21
09-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Hehe, you need to learn how to multi-quote! And read these again:

if you are a musician you will know that most bands out there play half step down....because in studio you have all the time to sing it right and you do 1 track a day. In live you have 22 songs to sing, for 3\4 days a week... Don't be an idiot and get lost in things that really don't have sense....

As it's been pointed out...bands do this all the freaking time. And not because they can't sing as high (that's kind of ridiculous -- if you can hit a high note, chances are it's not that much of a difference to sing another high note half a step up). Singers go flat all the time live. It can be really, really hard to hear yourself onstage, so it can be hard to keep yourself in tune. If the entire band is already flat, then the singer sounds rad. ;)

If you had ever been in a rock band, you would understand.

These really are the reasons.

offsrx
09-16-2008, 07:28 PM
To be honest, I donít really notice when I watch their live performances, it just doesnít seem like a big deal to me. And like other people have mentioned, itís common practice, especially for punk bands. It's great that you're so passionate, but I suggest don't get too upset over matters like this, that you have no control over.

I know what u are saying...
i'm listening them for eight years, and they are my best band in the whole world, but When I hear the song is not in the studio tune it's not the same song to me
Because I know that what i hear in the studio it's not same live.
u know what im saying?
I looove to hear them live but this tunning for 14 years has kinda bothering me. U know..
Thx for not being a jackass to me :)

offsrx
09-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Hehe, you need to learn how to multi-quote! And read these again:
These really are the reasons.

Yes I understand all of those things. I didn't had any gigs yet in my life but what I don't understand is why are they creating something that even they can't do properly live?
Who will play those songs properly if they are not?
And yes, this matters to me because i'm the one of the fans who knows why he loves this band, and critisize what are the possible mistakes, in order to make them even better band than ever before.
I wasn't bashing them off like a lot of them were me on this thread
I just wanted to point on a possible mistake, and i want to tell Offspring and whole world how much they mean to me, by trying to correct them.
Or is everyone here not thinking that Dexter is a human being? And he sometimes gets wrong? i think that is a human thing to tell somebody when he is wrong.
And I still don't understand those guys who were making fun of me but here is a message for them:
IF U DON'T LIKE THE THREAD DON'T READ IT! OR GO AND FUCK YOURSELF OR FUCK ON SOMEBODY ELSE! NOT ON ME!

Ryder1234
09-16-2008, 08:55 PM
what I don't understand is why are they creating something that even they can't do properly live?

Because in the studio, they have as long as they need to get something right. Live, you only get one take, so it's better to play it safe and not risk fucking it up.

Also, as I have said IMO it sounds better.

offsrx
09-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Because in the studio, they have as long as they need to get something right. Live, you only get one take, so it's better to play it safe and not risk fucking it up.

Also, as I have said IMO it sounds better.

what's IMO?
yes you are right. but have u ever heard THE Police tune guitars 1/2 step down?
As much as I am informed, NO
And I watch them live and it was great
But If u hear Sting is singing pretty high and he is not tunning guitars down. And Dexter is. Sting is singing even higher than Dexter. When Offspring where covering "Next to you" Dexter wuz asking himself:"Can I go that High?" . Next question is why not to tune 1/2 step down in studio? If U can't do that live then do it in studio according to your possabilities. Am I right?

Ryder1234
09-16-2008, 09:25 PM
IMO = In my opinion

Well, Sting must just have a higher pitched voice. And most likely, more control over it, hence them not needing to tune the guitars down. Dexter probably doesn't have as much control over his voice when he's singing high stuff, and doesn't want to risk fucking up as I said.

And again, as I said, in the studio, they have as much time as they need. So Dexter could be sitting there for hours trying to get something right. And of course, an entire vocal track wouldn't be recorded all in one take, the track would be recorded in sections, then mixed in with the rest of the instruments in their respective places. I've never done any professional recording in a studio, but I'm willing to bet that's standard procedure. Only with the vocals though, I know guitar tracks are completely done in one take (though, it may take more than one take to get it right), unless there is a break in th guitar part.

offsrx
09-16-2008, 09:45 PM
IMO = In my opinion

Well, Sting must just have a higher pitched voice. And most likely, more control over it, hence them not needing to tune the guitars down. Dexter probably doesn't have as much control over his voice when he's singing high stuff, and doesn't want to risk fucking up as I said.

And again, as I said, in the studio, they have as much time as they need. So Dexter could be sitting there for hours trying to get something right. And of course, an entire vocal track wouldn't be recorded all in one take, the track would be recorded in sections, then mixed in with the rest of the instruments in their respective places. I've never done any professional recording in a studio, but I'm willing to bet that's standard procedure. Only with the vocals though, I know guitar tracks are completely done in one take (though, it may take more than one take to get it right), unless there is a break in th guitar part.

Youre right and I totaly understand.
But once again Why to do things in studio when U can't do same thing live?
I understand that dexter can't control his voice.. but why isn't he thinking about that while they are recording songs?

Little_Miss_1565
09-16-2008, 09:47 PM
Does it need to be pointed out that Dexter isn't Sting?

offsrx
09-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Does it need to be pointed out that Dexter isn't Sting?

Ofcourse not. That's obvious.
I'm just saying that Dexter should sing in studio what he can sing live(like sting does),
and not to sing in studio what he can't do live.

Ryder1234
09-16-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm just saying that Dexter should sing in studio what he can sing live(like sting does),
and not to sing in studio what he can't do live.

It's somewhat obvious. Dexter can sing it live... after multiple tries. So why would you even try if you know you're gonna mess up?

And as Sarah has pointed out, Dexter's not Sting.

lost_nvrfound
09-16-2008, 09:58 PM
I just wanna say, You're Gonna Go Far Kid is not by any means their most difficult song vocally, by any stretch of the imagination. Take my word for it. I've been singing in many areas, since I was a toddler.

Second, have you seen them live? Or are you just going by what you see in a video?

Redjie
09-17-2008, 02:23 AM
I just wanna say, You're Gonna Go Far Kid is not by any means their most difficult song vocally,

I'm with her, trust in you is worst. :D
Seriously, go to sleep, take a nice rest and comeback tomorrow.
I don't mean to sound rude but that's what it is. And it's not only TheOffspring doing that. Tons of bands do that because it's safer when you have 129857105 shows to give and you can't risk to fail and end up with no voice at all.

Dexter_italy
09-17-2008, 02:31 AM
Ok I write this then I think I won't answer again in this thread....maybe

"Why they do in studio what they can't do live?"

Sorry but it's a dumb question and I explain why: When they write a song they don't look in what kee the song is they just write it, if they wrote tkka already half-step down they would play another half-step down now, because it's a tecnique to play. The songs they usually play in standard tuning are the new ones, they played want you bad, original prankster, cgmhay, and now hammerhead and yggfk. It's just he feels he can do it. it's not something like "well I wrote this song, now just turn it half step down". Someone told something about green day before, if you look at theyr album unitl American idiot (i don't know warning) they played in studio already half-step down, and in live sometimes they tuned (not tunned) theyr instruments another half-step down.
If you watch some Offpsring show you'll notice that dexter has already some problems reaching some notes in this way, what would happen if he played in the same tune?

offsrx
09-17-2008, 03:06 AM
It's somewhat obvious. Dexter can sing it live... after multiple tries. So why would you even try if you know you're gonna mess up?

And as Sarah has pointed out, Dexter's not Sting.

I know Dexter's not Sting
But why is he trying to be Sting in studio and not live?
i understand everything you guys sad but once again
I don't understand why is he screaming in studio if he knows that he can't do that live?
when I'm listening to "She's Got Issues" my freiend was like: "Can he do that live"?
What kind of musician are u if u can't preform to pepole live what u have created?

offsrx
09-17-2008, 03:10 AM
I just wanna say, You're Gonna Go Far Kid is not by any means their most difficult song vocally, by any stretch of the imagination. Take my word for it. I've been singing in many areas, since I was a toddler.

Second, have you seen them live? Or are you just going by what you see in a video?

Ofcorse to you it;s not hard to sing You're Gonna Go Far Kid because you are a women, and woman have more pticher voice than men for whole octave! belive me I am singing that song, and it ripps me, totaly. But I can sing TKAA in real tunning, even if it is higher, but YGGFK is hard because u don't have a time to rest you're throat.
No I didn't seen them live and I sam shure that they kick ass,
But i'm shure It will bother me kinda always until I hear them play TKAA in real tuning

offsrx
09-17-2008, 03:28 AM
I'm with her, trust in you is worst. :D
Seriously, go to sleep, take a nice rest and comeback tomorrow.
I don't mean to sound rude but that's what it is. And it's not only TheOffspring doing that. Tons of bands do that because it's safer when you have 129857105 shows to give and you can't risk to fail and end up with no voice at all.

now i want u to tell me excactlly what band is doing that?
huh?
I know only about Dragon Force, and maybie S.O.A.D.(but i'm not shure, correct me if I'm wrong)
have U ever seen one of these bands tune down:
-Metallica
-RHCP
-Rolling Stones
-Deep Purple
-Ramones
-Bad Religion
-Iron Maiden
-G.Day(only as u guys sad once)
-Billy idol
-HIM
-The Police
-Limp Bizkit
-Audioslave
-RATM
-Papa roach
-Weird Al Yankovic(He is preforming "pretty fly" parody in real tunning)
Those all are mainstream bands that a lot pepole knows on the planet, and I have never seen or heard they tune down. Especally for Iron Maiden because bruce is singing pretty high.

Dexter_italy
09-17-2008, 03:48 AM
now i want u to tell me excactlly what band is doing that?
huh?
I know only about Dragon Force, and maybie S.O.A.D.(but i'm not shure, correct me if I'm wrong)
have U ever seen one of these bands tune down:
-Metallica
-RHCP
-Rolling Stones
-Deep Purple
-Ramones
-Bad Religion
-Iron Maiden
-G.Day(only as u guys sad once)
-Billy idol
-HIM
-The Police
-Limp Bizkit
-Audioslave
-RATM
-Papa roach
-Weird Al Yankovic(He is preforming "pretty fly" parody in real tunning)
Those all are mainstream bands that a lot pepole knows on the planet, and I have never seen or heard they tune down. Especally for Iron Maiden because bruce is singing pretty high.

For god sake!!! only Iron maiden sing that high on that list, and it's a totally differente kind of music. in taht list there isn't a singer with similarities to dexter's voice!! dexter can sing every fucking song in realt tune!! the only problem is that he's human, a fucking human and he can't do it 4 days a week during a tour, that's how some fucking bands work!! we gave you tons of reasons and you still ask the same fucking question!!!
try one thing, take a fucking plane and go to they're house to ask your fucking question!

offsrx
09-17-2008, 03:55 AM
Ok I write this then I think I won't answer again in this thread....maybe

"Why they do in studio what they can't do live?"

Sorry but it's a dumb question and I explain why: When they write a song they don't look in what kee the song is they just write it, if they wrote tkka already half-step down they would play another half-step down now, because it's a tecnique to play. The songs they usually play in standard tuning are the new ones, they played want you bad, original prankster, cgmhay, and now hammerhead and yggfk. It's just he feels he can do it. it's not something like "well I wrote this song, now just turn it half step down". Someone told something about green day before, if you look at theyr album unitl American idiot (i don't know warning) they played in studio already half-step down, and in live sometimes they tuned (not tunned) theyr instruments another half-step down.
If you watch some Offpsring show you'll notice that dexter has already some problems reaching some notes in this way, what would happen if he played in the same tune?

There is no such thing as dumb question, only dumb answer.
How do U know that they would play tkaa tuned down twice?
have you seen them change guitars?
yes it is a tehniqe
I don't think that American idiot is tuned down, i was playing some songs from it.
Why would Billie Joe tune guitars down, when he is not screaming in studio like Dexter is?
I love when he does that, but why he don't do it live the same?
Cant u guys see what im trying to say?
Ryder 1234 sad"It's somewhat obvious. Dexter can sing it live... after multiple tries".
Well U know what?
I can do it after few tries.
Dragonforce can do it in studio.
Everybody can do everything in studio.
But can everybody do the same live?
Apperently the answer is No.
But i found myself dissapointed because Offspring are reminding me on those bands.
"If you watch some Offpsring show you'll notice that dexter has already some problems reaching some notes in this way, what would happen if he played in the same tune?"
Yes and I have seen that. If there wern't Noodles to save the song(with back vocals), it would be pretty embarasing to see dexter kill his throat in the middle of the song. he would probably die:D just kidding.
But All I want to say is:
Be yourself,
be what U are
Sing what U can sing
Don't sing what u can't!
and if u can't do live what u do in studio, thats kinda lame to me, just like I sad everybody can do everything in studio, but not live! And plus it's their creation, and i think that they have a duty to preform them live as they amazed us when we heard those songs on radio.
And I would really love to see The offspring Preform more songs in real tuning,
Caus I think that dexter can sing at least 4-5 songs in real per concert.:D

offsrx
09-17-2008, 04:05 AM
For god sake!!! only Iron maiden sing that high on that list, and it's a totally differente kind of music. in taht list there isn't a singer with similarities to dexter's voice!! dexter can sing every fucking song in realt tune!! the only problem is that he's human, a fucking human and he can't do it 4 days a week during a tour, that's how some fucking bands work!! we gave you tons of reasons and you still ask the same fucking question!!!
try one thing, take a fucking plane and go to they're house to ask your fucking question!

HAHAHAHAHAHA:D
U made laugh, LOl!
It doesn't matter what kind of music is, still it's singing.
You are right about tour and stuff, but I think at least Dexter can sing it in real when they are doing tv shows(with 1-7 songs).
"try one thing, take a fucking plane and go to they're house to ask your fucking question!"
Well you know what?
u are right. One day if it happends or some shit like that, If I ever meet and greet The Offspring, I will ask them and then i will tell u guys on this forum what Dex told me:D
And another thing:
U gave me reasons, but nobody gave answer 2 my fucking qestion!
Why everybody can't admit that even they mistake sometimes?
It's not a crime when u are trying to point out something that u find as a flod.

offsrx
09-17-2008, 04:06 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHA:D
U made me laugh, LOl!
It doesn't matter what kind of music is, still it's singing.
You are right about tour and stuff, but I think at least Dexter can sing it in real when they are doing tv shows(with 1-7 songs).
"try one thing, take a fucking plane and go to they're house to ask your fucking question!"
Well you know what?
u are right. One day if it happends or some shit like that, If I ever meet and greet The Offspring, I will ask them and then i will tell u guys on this forum what Dex told me:D
And another thing:
U gave me reasons, but nobody gave answer 2 my fucking qestion!
Why everybody can't admit that even they mistake sometimes?
It's not a crime when u are trying to point out something that u find as a flod.

mota0000
09-17-2008, 04:13 AM
Metallica do tune down I'm pretty sure, they did for Seek And Destroy amoungst others. James doesnt sing anywhere near as high as Dexter, so I wonder why they tune down?
But it really doesnt matter, you still know what song it is and it still sounds awesome.
Green Day tuned down 1/2 a step in all studio recordings up until Nimrod, then they went to standard tuning
Green Day also play the exact same tuning as their CD, with the exception of that concert i was saying where they tuned up.

Dexter_italy
09-17-2008, 04:21 AM
I told you unitl amercan idiot, I meant american idiot not included because it's in standard tuning (maybe I explained myself not so well).
I understood what you're trying to say with the be "Urself". but once again, and I'll try to clarify how it works"; they write a song in a key, automatically they turn it down in a live show, no metter how low it is on the beginning. Nobody is saying that they don't do mistakes, they do and a lot, but when you do a show you want to be good, and you want to be good in the next 10 too, so they do that kind of thing wich usually don't take nothing to the song. the only one wich I really dislike tuned this way is can't repeat, the bass intro sounds so bad... They answered to that question once (and I think more) and his answer is the one we're giving to you, "because you want to be good" (as dexter would say). I didn't understand well the part where you say if I saw them changing guitar. But i say this, if they wrote all the songs half-step down they would turn another half-step down and I'm sure of this because that's the way they work, and it's not because he cant' do it live. So you could use these argumest to ask to the bands wich fullfill theyr songs with tons of effects wich in live they can't reproduce and ask them why they do that. because when you are in studio you wanna try things, you wanna make the songs sound good. you could also ask to dexter why he sings the backing vocals if during a live show he doesn't.... or why call jim lindberg when in live he can't sing with them....it's just a choice....

offsrx
09-17-2008, 04:30 AM
Metallica do tune down I'm pretty sure, they did for Seek And Destroy amoungst others. James doesnt sing anywhere near as high as Dexter, so I wonder why they tune down?
But it really doesnt matter, you still know what song it is and it still sounds awesome.
Green Day tuned down 1/2 a step in all studio recordings up until Nimrod, then they went to standard tuning
Green Day also play the exact same tuning as their CD, with the exception of that concert i was saying where they tuned up.

Yes. But metallica also tune down in studio 4 example Sad But True, and they do the same live, so it's ok.Cause as I sad some songs are diffrent when tuned down(self esteem, Half-truism, TKAA, Gotta get away rtc.) And some are not(Staring at the sun, come out and play), and I think that for some songs they are better when are tuned(All i want is too high in studio).
Yes songs are cool, but I was just thinking of that it would beeven cooler that they do a little more often real tune, at least for the fans. But apperently I am the only one fan here who admires to that so... Fuck it...:(
Anyways thx to every one who democraticaly discusted with me about my little issue,
And here's a nice FUCK YOU for everyone who laugh out to me, and were fucking me up. i will ask Dexter one day about that, I promiss:D

Rutegard
09-17-2008, 05:00 AM
this is stupid...

i'm out!

Little_Miss_1565
09-17-2008, 05:08 AM
And here's a nice FUCK YOU for everyone who laugh out to me, and were fucking me up. i will ask Dexter one day about that, I promiss:D

Dude, chill out. Seriously. No one was really overly rude to you. Please re-read my response for why Metallica would tune down. Singers go flat live, a lot. That is why most of them tune down.

offsrx
09-17-2008, 06:37 AM
Dude, chill out. Seriously. No one was really overly rude to you. Please re-read my response for why Metallica would tune down. Singers go flat live, a lot. That is why most of them tune down.

yes they were. Read the first 2 pages.
I'm sorry but that line wasn't meant to you. You were ok to me. It wuz ment to oxygen, medi01.. etc...

Little_Miss_1565
09-17-2008, 06:56 AM
yes they were. Read the first 2 pages.
I'm sorry but that line wasn't meant to you. You were ok to me. It wuz ment to oxygen, medi01.. etc...

Well, don't take this the wrong way, but much of your responses have not made a lot of sense and people are quick to defend the band around here. I think people just think it's silly to get so upset about a band tuning down half a step (which is nothing, really) live, when just about every band ever does it, or has done it, or could do it, and it wouldn't matter.

offsrx
09-17-2008, 07:37 AM
I told you unitl amercan idiot, I meant american idiot not included because it's in standard tuning (maybe I explained myself not so well).
I understood what you're trying to say with the be "Urself". but once again, and I'll try to clarify how it works"; they write a song in a key, automatically they turn it down in a live show, no metter how low it is on the beginning. Nobody is saying that they don't do mistakes, they do and a lot, but when you do a show you want to be good, and you want to be good in the next 10 too, so they do that kind of thing wich usually don't take nothing to the song. the only one wich I really dislike tuned this way is can't repeat, the bass intro sounds so bad... They answered to that question once (and I think more) and his answer is the one we're giving to you, "because you want to be good" (as dexter would say). I didn't understand well the part where you say if I saw them changing guitar. But i say this, if they wrote all the songs half-step down they would turn another half-step down and I'm sure of this because that's the way they work, and it's not because he cant' do it live. So you could use these argumest to ask to the bands wich fullfill theyr songs with tons of effects wich in live they can't reproduce and ask them why they do that. because when you are in studio you wanna try things, you wanna make the songs sound good. you could also ask to dexter why he sings the backing vocals if during a live show he doesn't.... or why call jim lindberg when in live he can't sing with them....it's just a choice....

Can't repeat, self esteem, and more...
The part where I sad they change guitars, that means that
Each one of them has 2 guitars in 2 diffrent tuning: One in E
The other one in D sharp d#

So if u seee, they play TKAA then use the one with d#, and with next song CGMHAY they use the one in E tuning.
I Understand everything that u sad to me. But why they don't play the old songs now little in e tuning for a whine? Not all of them but for example:
Tkaa today, Gottaget away tomorrow, Self esteem the other day etc.
i understand that a lot of bands are doung that but Offspring is doing that WHOLE CARIEER! i just think it would be good if they play 4 songs in real instead just 2.. That would not damage dexter's voice because he is a pro. Right?
And u know that today there are a lot of posers, and i don't want from offspring to remind me on them...

offsrx
09-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Well, don't take this the wrong way, but much of your responses have not made a lot of sense and people are quick to defend the band around here. I think people just think it's silly to get so upset about a band tuning down half a step (which is nothing, really) live, when just about every band ever does it, or has done it, or could do it, and it wouldn't matter.

I just got upset 4 that because i think it's a little not honest from them to play whole career tuned down. Cause i like to see a good rock concert, and since the first time i saw TKAA live in the beguining i thought they were plaing "Feelings" because when u tune down the beguining of tkaa has similar notes like in feelings..
And those 2 songs made me to become Rocker... So they mean to me a lot...
and I wuz never attacking the band...

Dexter_italy
09-17-2008, 07:57 AM
so you're asking why they don't play at least some old songs in the standard tuning...well I'm not saying this to be a dorl but I think it's because they don't care what you (or we) think...

Little_Miss_1565
09-17-2008, 08:24 AM
That would not damage dexter's voice because he is a pro. Right?
And u know that today there are a lot of posers, and i don't want from offspring to remind me on them...

Dexter is indeed a total pro, but he's not the greatest singer the world has ever seen. As for your comment on "posers," that's you reading your own prejudices into the situation and has nothing to do with the band at all.

I just got upset 4 that because i think it's a little not honest from them to play whole career tuned down.

How is it dishonest to do something that rock bands have been doing since the beginning?

lost_nvrfound
09-17-2008, 08:57 AM
I think some of the examples you used as bands that don't tune down are funny.

Why would it be dishonest to do something tuned down?

Thats what I don't understand.

Also, just a sidenote. They both have several guitars. Each one is tuned and decked out with various odds and ends for particular songs. Usually though, you only see the Noodles with the NDM and NDM2 and Dexter with the black diamond plate and the one balck one with the designs on it. Though they use others for some songs. Like Dexter's stainless steel diamond plate guitar, which he used in the past for Can't Get My Head Around You.

Finally, YOU may have difficulty with You're Gonna Go Far Kid, but I wasn't talking about my ability or your ability to sing it. I was talking in general, that song is a much easier range and less difficult than some of their other songs. And they DO play it a half step down. Compare the cd to the Yahoo show.

Oxygene
09-17-2008, 09:46 AM
U're an idiot.
Why then is he straining his voice to death in studio?
Changing the tune u change the song.
Can I say fuck u?

He isn't straining his voice to death in the studio because there he obviously warms up and shit properly, plus he doesn't sing in the studio every night for months on end either.
He can prepare properly for the highnotes. When I was in the studio I pourposley put all the difficult vocals and harmonies last, so that dicking around with the hard stuff won't affect the recording of the main things.
You can mix and match and do whatever the fuck you want.

Live and ON TOUR, it's a different story.

Yeah you can say fuck u.. I know I'd wanna say it too, if I was wrong like you are right now.

offsrx
09-17-2008, 09:59 AM
yes i find it dishonest because what I her on the record i hear it low on live for 15 years...
On weenie roast they play YGGFK in real tune.
I just wanted 2 say that it would be nice 2 play more in real tunes, depending on how much can dexter hold on, and i'm shure that dex can sing more than 2 songs per concert.
i dont understand how u don't understand me. i compare them with other bands and belive me i haven't heard anyone but Offspring to play tuned down. Whole concert. really.

lost_nvrfound
09-17-2008, 10:05 AM
i haven't heard anyone but Offspring to play tuned down.

But as has been said like 40 million times is that about 90% of bands tune down. I think even Van Halen does it. Cripes! Go see them live. Then tell me it stills bothers you. You should never judge a live performance by its video. They just can't compare.

Oxygene
09-17-2008, 10:53 AM
But as has been said like 40 million times is that about 90% of bands tune down. I think even Van Halen does it. Cripes! Go see them live. Then tell me it stills bothers you. You should never judge a live performance by its video. They just can't compare.

The dude obviously hasn't got a clue about rock n roll...

medi01
09-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Play any of songs that I posted that are not in real tunning, and play the studio version. IN SAME MOMENT
And u will see that they don't match.
It makes u an idiot if u can't hear obvious mismtch

no shit sherlock...i think you mean play the live and studio versions at the same time. in which case i cba, but i know that live songs off the new album seem to be very very similar to normal

perhaps you just tone deaf. idiot.

Ryder1234
09-17-2008, 09:04 PM
I know Dexter's not Sting
But why is he trying to be Sting in studio and not live?
i understand everything you guys sad but once again
I don't understand why is he screaming in studio if he knows that he can't do that live?
when I'm listening to "She's Got Issues" my freiend was like: "Can he do that live"?
What kind of musician are u if u can't preform to pepole live what u have created?

First of all, how the fuck is he trying to be Sting? He's singing in his own style.

Second of all, he CAN do it live, how many times must it be said? In the studio, he has all the time he needs, and warms up his voice and stuff. But even in the studio, he'll fuck up, and tries over and over until he gets it right. He's singing at the high end of his vocal range in the studio (more often than not), and since live, you only get one shot, why would you try? It wouldn't be fun to fuck up in front of their fans, so he's obviously just playing it safe.

RobinoZombie
09-18-2008, 02:14 AM
Kinda easy to Correct and edit vocals in the studio, kinda hard live,
And i would NEVER wanna se an offspring show with all the songs tuned in Standard Tuning. that would REALLY suck

The Search Button
09-18-2008, 03:30 AM
Offsrping live shows suck.

Thats why nobody comes up for their live shows anymore.

On the other hand, I'm happy because this issue has never been discussed in these boards, ever.

offsrx
09-18-2008, 05:18 AM

On the other hand, I'm happy because this issue has never been discussed in these boards, ever.

The Search Button U are the man!
Everybody who has been attacking me that I'm a pice of bullshit can screw up their geeky stupid asses. i heard a lot of times that pepole say: Offspring sucks live", and i tried to understand that and tried to realise why is somebody saying that. but where's smoke, there is fire. if my thread offends you then u, then i don't know what 2 say 2 u.now i'm pissed and now i'm gonna attack the band.
u guys make me sick. And now because u are so geeky and defending band and attacking me, I can't listen to the Offspring, because majority of their fans are bunch of geeks saying: "No, Offspr. are cool, they tune down, because a lot of bands do that, even thou we just quote 3 bands that tune down live, but they are cool, and everyone who is saying something opposit is a complete dumbass". Stupd geeky fans.

offsrx
09-18-2008, 05:21 AM
no shit sherlock...i think you mean play the live and studio versions at the same time. in which case i cba, but i know that live songs off the new album seem to be very very similar to normal

perhaps you just tone deaf. idiot.

I'm too smart to argue with geek like u.
Why do you find this thread offending?

offsrx
09-18-2008, 05:24 AM
First of all, how the fuck is he trying to be Sting? He's singing in his own style.

Second of all, he CAN do it live, how many times must it be said? In the studio, he has all the time he needs, and warms up his voice and stuff. But even in the studio, he'll fuck up, and tries over and over until he gets it right. He's singing at the high end of his vocal range in the studio (more often than not), and since live, you only get one shot, why would you try? It wouldn't be fun to fuck up in front of their fans, so he's obviously just playing it safe.

nobody has answerd me on this question:
What kind of musician are u if u can't preform to pepole live the SAME WAY IN SAME STUDIO KEY what u have created?
forget it... this is going nowhere...
If U find this thread offending
leave it

The Search Button
09-18-2008, 05:42 AM
The Search Button U are the man!
Everybody who has been attacking me that I'm a pice of bullshit can screw up their geeky stupid asses. i heard a lot of times that pepole say: Offspring sucks live", and i tried to understand that and tried to realise why is somebody saying that. but where's smoke, there is fire. if my thread offends you then u, then i don't know what 2 say 2 u.now i'm pissed and now i'm gonna attack the band.
u guys make me sick. And now because u are so geeky and defending band and attacking me, I can't listen to the Offspring, because majority of their fans are bunch of geeks saying: "No, Offspr. are cool, they tune down, because a lot of bands do that, even thou we just quote 3 bands that tune down live, but they are cool, and everyone who is saying something opposit is a complete dumbass". Stupd geeky fans.

Yes, you're right.

You are very handsome too. I'm gay.

Wanna be my boyfriend?

ThunderPX
09-18-2008, 07:49 AM
I like how a fan of the Offspring tries to use the word "geek" as an insult.

Oxygene
09-18-2008, 08:16 AM
I like how a fan of the Offspring tries to use the word "geek" as an insult.

The guy is a complete know-it-all fucktard, don't mind him.

Redjie
09-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Swoosh! Relax! Well, we all know Offspring are a bunch of retards cos they don't sing like they do on studio and so are all other bands that do that. So let's all be retards and make a party :D

Little_Miss_1565
09-18-2008, 08:44 AM
nobody has answerd me on this question:
What kind of musician are u if u can't preform to pepole live the SAME WAY IN SAME STUDIO KEY what u have created?
forget it... this is going nowhere...
If U find this thread offending
leave it

You are feeling frustrated because you have your own idea of what the band should be, and this is completely unrelated to who the band is in reality.

Some bands like doing things with the control of the studio that you can't always pull off live. It's fun to do this sometimes. My band did loads of it -- we have tons of horns all over a few songs on the record that we never, ever, ever played live. Does this make us sellouts? No. It makes us people that don't want to tour with a horn section.

Basically, the Offspring are allowed to do whatever they want, just like any rock band going right now. Be thankful they don't play with shittons of backing tracks. Dexter's vocal delivery, imperfect as it may be, is awesome because it's genuinely him, and isn't that why we like the band in the first place?

findout5
09-18-2008, 01:37 PM
hi everyone
i have to say that my greatest band in the world (The Offspring) has dissapointed me. Why?
Because if u are a musician(or if u aren't) you will notice that they had entier carieer (94-present) have been playing songs with guitars 1/2 step turned down. Why?
Probably because Dexter can't sing that ptich as he sings in the studio. Then next question is why are they doing in studio what they can't do live? I don't know...
If u don't beleve me, play these songs live (on winamp or whatever u are using 2 play music) and those same songs in studio, infact play them thogether in same moment and u will see that it does't match. in fact it is a mismatch.
Songs:

Half-Truism
TKAA
WDYGAJ?
Pretty Fly
The NOose
All I want
Gone Away
Gotta get Away
Self Esteem(that one is so obvious)
Come out and play
Dirty magic(acoustic one in studio)
Feelings
Can't repeat(obvious one too)
Have u Ever
Da Hui

The list goes on...

Hi! I'm also a musician. Can I just state the obvious and say...WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT IT???

lost_nvrfound
09-18-2008, 04:55 PM

Since when is it an issue? They've been doing it for 20 years and yet... OMG THEY HAVE A FAN BASE!

Who would've thunk it, what with them playing all out of key and what not!!

Seriously, wtf?

Do note the thousands upon thousands of people that swarm the area when the offspring is performing live. Or do you only count people who agree with you as your "nobody going to the shows"

EDIT: I personally wouldn't want to go to a show where they perfectly reproduce the music from an album. The whole things gotta have a different dynamic than the cd. Otherwise, going is utterly pointless...

The Search Button
09-19-2008, 03:34 AM
Since when is it an issue? They've been doing it for 20 years and yet... OMG THEY HAVE A FAN BASE!

Who would've thunk it, what with them playing all out of key and what not!!

Seriously, wtf?

Do note the thousands upon thousands of people that swarm the area when the offspring is performing live. Or do you only count people who agree with you as your "nobody going to the shows"

EDIT: I personally wouldn't want to go to a show where they perfectly reproduce the music from an album. The whole things gotta have a different dynamic than the cd. Otherwise, going is utterly pointless...

I have a single word for you:

S-A-R-C-A-S-M

And with this, I completely destroy the purpose of my previous post.

offsrx
09-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Hi! I'm also a musician. Can I just state the obvious and say...WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT IT???

I GIVE A FUCK ABOUT IT!

Ryder1234
09-19-2008, 07:23 PM
O rly? .

offsrx
09-19-2008, 07:44 PM
O rly? .

LIKE NEVER FUCKING REALYER BEFORE!

offsrx
09-19-2008, 07:50 PM
The dude obviously hasn't got a clue about rock n roll...

Yes and u think U do?
How the fuck are u gonna prove to me that u have and i don't have a clue about r'n'r?
Tard.

offsrx
09-19-2008, 07:56 PM
no shit sherlock...i think you mean play the live and studio versions at the same time. in which case i cba, but i know that I'm an Idiot that is trying to tell u some shit that u allredy know but, what the hell, I'm an idiot, what can i say?:D

Yup, U really are an idiot

IamSam
09-19-2008, 09:00 PM
You make me giggle.

Cock Joke
09-19-2008, 09:15 PM
LIKE NEVER FUCKING REALYER BEFORE!

Aahahahahahahahaaaaaaaahahahahahahahhhhaaahahahaaa !111111111!!!!!1!1!

First person to put this in their sig wins a million dollars!

Ryder1234
09-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Aahahahahahahahaaaaaaaahahahahahahahhhhaaahahahaaa !111111111!!!!!1!1!

First person to put this in their sig wins a million dollars!

I dod coz I made him say it!1!!1

Cock Joke
09-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Hahahaha "dod."

Ryder1234
09-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Fucking Pyro Offspring...

Ninty Man
09-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Yes and u think U do?
How the fuck are u gonna prove to me that u have and i don't have a clue about r'n'r?
Tard.

I have read all the post:

1-. You're a douchebag- thanx offspring forum, I learnt a new way to insult in English-
2-. EVERY BAND tunes down, even Judas Priest, where is the Metal God Robert Halford, and HE CAN'T SING A SHIT NOW on the song Painkiller. You know why??? Because he sang all his career high notes that fucked up him.
3-. The Offspring tunes down because they know what is good for them to sound. You DON'T. With the band I used to play we tuned down The Kids aren't alright and it sounds AWESOME,since the vocalist could reach the notes, and was pretty smooth to play in that way. Well, I am the drummer and fuck, it was easy to hear the motherfucker.
4-. What do you expect making this thread? That Dexter, Noodles, Greg and Ron come here and make an apologie? Pfff, Noodles certainly will take out your colon and make you eat it.
5-. They don't give a fuck what you think, they play what they want, and they are cooler than you.
6-. I know more about rock cause:
- I play an instrument
-I play with a band
- I know what is to suffer singing in the original note. Try to sing Last Caress just like the album. I will pay a ZILLION dollars if you can sing 5 NIGHTS IN A ROW the same tune without fucking it up or hurting your throat

KHWHD
09-19-2008, 11:36 PM
I have read all the post:

1-. You're a douchebag- thanx offspring forum, I learnt a new way to insult in English-
2-. EVERY BAND tunes down, even Judas Priest, where is the Metal God Robert Halford, and HE CAN'T SING A SHIT NOW on the song Painkiller. You know why??? Because he sang all his career high notes that fucked up him.
3-. The Offspring tunes down because they know what is good for them to sound. You DON'T. With the band I used to play we tuned down The Kids aren't alright and it sounds AWESOME,since the vocalist could reach the notes, and was pretty smooth to play in that way. Well, I am the drummer and fuck, it was easy to hear the motherfucker.
4-. What do you expect making this thread? That Dexter, Noodles, Greg and Ron come here and make an apologie? Pfff, Noodles certainly will take out your colon and make you eat it.
5-. They don't give a fuck what you think, they play what they want, and they are cooler than you.
6-. I know more about rock cause:
- I play an instrument
-I play with a band
- I know what is to suffer singing in the original note. Try to sing Last Caress just like the album. I will pay a ZILLION dollars if you can sing 5 NIGHTS IN A ROW the same tune without fucking it up or hurting your throat

You do realize that Ron isn't in the band anymore right? lol