PDA

View Full Version : Study Abroad

lost_nvrfound
09-17-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm thinking about doing study abroad next year. I want to go to Australia, but I don't really know anything about Australia colleges. These are my choices for schools:

Deakin University, Macquarie University, RMIT University, University of Canberra, University of Southern Queensland, Monash University, University of Western Australia, University of Wollongong, University of the Sunshine Coast

If there are any Aussies on here that could give me a little insight on which schools are best, I would really love the help. I'm a bio major.

JohnnyNemesis
09-17-2008, 03:52 PM
University of Wollongong has the best name, so it's the clear choice.

T-6005
09-17-2008, 04:49 PM
I hear Canberra's really boring.

wheelchairman
09-17-2008, 05:25 PM
I think I have at least one friend who went to RMIT and maybe several more and approved greatly.

But I don't know, if I was gonna study abroad I would chose some place that wasn't Australia... (well I am studying abroad but I'm also an ex-pat), sure it's very different from the US but it's going to be very similar as well....

Thomas
09-17-2008, 07:33 PM

I concur .

Lizardus
09-17-2008, 09:16 PM

With a name like that, it has to be good.

Llamas
09-17-2008, 09:57 PM
But I don't know, if I was gonna study abroad I would chose some place that wasn't Australia... (well I am studying abroad but I'm also an ex-pat), sure it's very different from the US but it's going to be very similar as well....

I strongly agree. Everyone in North America studies abroad in Australia... I think it's because of the fear of going somewhere truly different. Oh my gosh, you might learn a new language! That's scary! But seriously... to me, it doesn't seem worth all that money to go somewhere that's not that much different in the grand scheme. And contrary to popular belief, you don't necessarily need to learn a new language to go somewhere else...

lost_nvrfound
09-17-2008, 10:20 PM
I was also thinking about Italy. But part of the draw with Australia is that there are so many programs for study abroad. I'm just in the "looking into it" stage. I don't have my heart set on anything. I just like the range of choices.

Ryder1234
09-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Lol and you could surf there.
I don't have any suggestions. But I want to go to Australia.

Lizardus
09-18-2008, 12:07 AM
i accidentally a wollongong, is that bad?

rise_and_fall
09-24-2008, 04:05 AM
I'm planning on going to Wollongong uni after i finish high school. I know some people that went there and they say its good. Its not far from Sydney and its right next to the beach.

Rag Doll
09-24-2008, 09:02 AM
I did my study abroad in England (Cambridge University). I have friends from school that went to Prague (2), Italy, and Russia. They all really enjoyed their experience.

Even if you go somewhere similar to the US, like I did, there are still differences and I'm sure you'll still have a good time =). Just pick a program you like.

Vera
09-25-2008, 03:51 AM
You folks are pussies. I'm considering India, South-Korea and Poland for my eventual third year international studies (I'm on my 1st year now but 2nd year is when you have to apply so it's good to look at options now).

Oxygene
09-25-2008, 04:55 AM
We have shitloads of american kids sutdying at my U every year and they have the times of their lives.. the majority of them come back to visit within a few years.

The Search Button
09-25-2008, 05:35 AM
Study and Abroad are two words, that just dont go too well together.

jacknife737
09-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Obligatory futurama reference,

I've studied a broad, or two!

My university owns a Castle in England, where we can apply to study, i thought about applying, but i really like where i am right now. However, should i move on to graduate studies, i'm strongly considering studying outside the country.

lost_nvrfound
09-25-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm totally loving the tags on here!

I think if I went to a nonenglish speaking country, I'd want to go to one that speaks one of the romance languages. I can pick up on spanish and italian alright as it is, so I'd probably do Spain or Italy, but the choices are kind of limited on programs for those countries.

Nina
09-26-2008, 10:33 AM
You folks are pussies. I'm considering India, South-Korea and Poland for my eventual third year international studies (I'm on my 1st year now but 2nd year is when you have to apply so it's good to look at options now).

Your choices are great. I dont know about Poland (I've never been there) but I imagine South Korea would be really really great. Would it be Seoul? And which Indian cities are in question?

Llamas
09-26-2008, 10:40 AM
We're Americans- we're afraid of dark people :( :( Although Poland isn't really too badass. hehe

We have shitloads of american kids sutdying at my U every year and they have the times of their lives.. the majority of them come back to visit within a few years.
That's cause Budapest is an absolutely beautiful city. It's high on my list of cities I'd like to live in.

Obligatory futurama reference,

I've studied a broad, or two!
Futurama? Isn't that just a common joke that people make when people mention studying abroad?

Gustavo
09-26-2008, 10:50 AM
I'd love to go study abroad, but I unfortunately I can't afford it :(
But, if I could afford to go study abroad, a probably would choose Canada. A french speaking part, more exactly.
Because I'd love to learn French!
I actually would like to go to an English Speaking country, but I already do know some of it... I think I'd better learn one more language to my further résumés.
And in Canada, maybe I'd be able to learn French and speak and improve my English a little bit.

KHWHD
09-26-2008, 10:53 AM
I'd love to go study abroad, but I unfortunately I can't afford it :(
But, if I could afford to go study abroad, a probably would choose Canada. A french speaking part, more exactly.
Because I'd love to learn French!
I actually would like to go to an English Speaking country, but I already do know some of it... I think I'd better learn one more language to my further résumés.
And in Canada, maybe I'd be able to learn French and speak and improve my English a little bit.

Here, here! Yeah, Quebec would be your best bet. Here in Ontario there isn't a lot of french speaking people. Quebec is right next to us, I've been there once over 15 years ago. God damn, I'm old. :p

Gustavo
09-26-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm totally loving the tags on here!

I think if I went to a nonenglish speaking country, I'd want to go to one that speaks one of the romance languages. I can pick up on spanish and italian alright as it is, so I'd probably do Spain or Italy, but the choices are kind of limited on programs for those countries.

As far as I know, Portuguese is pretty well known as a romantic language. It's hard though.
Maybe you could come to Brazil or go to Portugal.
But I sure can tell that people here are very welcoming, and I think that there is almost no xenophobia over here :)

Gustavo
09-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Here, here! Yeah, Quebec would be your best bet. Here in Ontario there isn't a lot of french speaking people. Quebec is right next to us, I've been there once over 15 years ago. God damn, I'm old. :p

As I said before, I don't I'd be able to, I don't think I can afford it =\
Is there much difference between the Quebec's English to the United States one? Is there much difference between Quebec's French to the France one?
And just for me to know... Are there good schools over there?

OBS: I don't think you are old, being old is not about how many years you've lived, it's about how you lived them, how you live now and how you'll live the other ones (Ok, I think i'd better not use my shitty philosophy here)

lost_nvrfound
09-26-2008, 11:15 AM
As far as I know, Portuguese is pretty well known as a romantic language. It's hard though.
Maybe you could come to Brazil or go to Portugal.
But I sure can tell that people here are very welcoming, and I think that there is almost no xenophobia over here :)

I've considered it to be honest, but I already read some in spanish and I can understand some italian.

Canada and the U.S. have very similar dialects as far as english goes. There is a slight different accent but there are several accents in the US as well. People in the Dakotas have a very different accent from us southerners.

Are you currently in college? I know that at my school, the exchange program is set up by the school to not cost much more than a regular year at school

A friend of mine that I know from highschool grew up near Quebec. She speaks french and english.

KHWHD
09-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Is there much difference between the Quebec's English to the United States one? Is there much difference between Quebec's French to the France one?

OBS: I don't think you are old, being old is not about how many years you've lived, it's about how you lived them, how you live now and how you'll live the other ones (Ok, I think i'd better not use my shitty philosophy here)

I don't know too many born Americans that speak french. I'm sure a ton of Canadians that speak french have moved to the states. Canada is a bilingual country. We HAVE to learn french from about grade 5 to highschool. No if's and or buts. We also had to learn the Canadian national anthem in french too. I personally don't have a problem with it because I'm half french, plus I enjoy the language. I wasn't born in Quebec, but my family background is french.

jacknife737
09-26-2008, 11:25 AM

No difference between the English in Canada to the English in the US, save for a few different words/phrases. As for Quebec French vs French "French", i'm not fluent, but i have heard there are some differences, but nothing that would throw you off too much. And i can assure you that there are excellent schools in both Quebec and Ontario, on par with anywhere in the world, ie (Queen's University, McGill University , University of Toronto, University of Western Ontario, Université Laval, ect, ect)

lost_nvrfound
09-26-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't know too many born Americans that speak french. I'm sure a ton of Canadians that speak french have moved to the states. Canada is a bilingual country. We HAVE to learn french from about grade 5 to highschool. No if's and or buts. We also had to learn the Canadian national anthem in french too. I personally don't have a problem with it because I'm half french, plus I enjoy the language. I wasn't born in Quebec, but my family background is french.

My canadian friend doesn't know the anthem at all... she said it bored her, so she stopped listening cause its sooo long...

oooooooooooohhhh Caaaaanadaaaaaa, our home and native land.....

KHWHD
09-26-2008, 11:38 AM
My canadian friend doesn't know the anthem at all... she said it bored her, so she stopped listening cause its sooo long...

We didn't have a choice. We HAD to sing it or be sent to the office.

Gustavo
09-26-2008, 11:43 AM
I've considered it to be honest, but I already read some in spanish and I can understand some italian.

Canada and the U.S. have very similar dialects as far as english goes. There is a slight different accent but there are several accents in the US as well. People in the Dakotas have a very different accent from us southerners.

Are you currently in college? I know that at my school, the exchange program is set up by the school to not cost much more than a regular year at school

A friend of mine that I know from highschool grew up near Quebec. She speaks french and english.

I'm currently in high school. I'm in the second year of three years of high school.

Are you in high school too?

Oh, cool. Are you fluent in French?
I didn't mean born Americans that speak French, I meant born Americans that speak english...

No difference between the English in Canada to the English in the US, save for a few different words/phrases. As for Quebec French vs French "French", i'm not fluent, but i have heard there are some differences, but nothing that would throw you off too much. And i can assure you that there are excellent schools in both Quebec and Ontario, on par with anywhere in the world, ie (Queen's University, McGill University , University of Toronto, University of Western Ontario, Université Laval, ect, ect)

Thanks for the informations. It would be just awesome to study in Canada, but it's too expensive, isn't it?
I'm thinking about studying journalism or system analysis.

Tired_Of_You
09-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Quebec French is different. I'd say it's more different than the difference between US English and England's. Furthermore, people from France sometimes have difficulty to understand us, but really, you'll get used to it and people can change their accent to a more "international" French to make themselves understood. Also, it always depends on where you are and who you're talking to in Quebec, as there are different accents in the province as well as differences between people (education, age of of the person, etc).

As someone else said, there are good universities here. Off the top of my head :
- French Universities in Quebec : Université de Montréal, Université du Québec à Montréal, Université de Sherbrooke, Université Laval...
- English Universities : McGill, Concordia (I think it's more bilingual than McGill... but I'm not really sure, someone correct me if you know!), Bishop's University...

I currently go to Université de Montréal, and it's considered a good university. Some would say that Université du Québec à Montréal doesn't have a good reputation, but it always depends on whant you want to study. I don't know enough about the other French Universities.

Off topic : Wtf about the anthem. We don't even have to learn it here and I don't even know half of it in either French or English.

KHWHD
09-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Off topic : Wtf about the anthem. We don't even have to learn it here and I don't even know half of it in either French or English.

LOL! I don't know. I was born and raised in Ontario and the town where my sis and I grew up we were pretty much "forced" to learn it.

Gustavo
09-26-2008, 11:47 AM

hahaha. It reminds me of something, people here don't know the anthem AT ALL!
I have a lot of fun watching some TV programs that people are stopped by some interviewers and they ask them "Could you sing our anthem please?" and they sing the first two phrases correclty, then they start making mistakes and then they go all like "tanan nan nan naaan taan taan taaan tan naaananaaan".
It's really good to see the look on their faces.

KHWHD
09-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Oh, cool. Are you fluent in French?
I didn't mean born Americans that speak French, I meant born Americans that speak english...

Not fluent no. But I can speak some and understand most of it. And as far as I know, the majority of Americans only speak english... unless they're from Mexico or another country and migrated to the states.

I can't really speak for the Americans. I'm just saying what I do know as I know a shit load of Americans.

Gustavo
09-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Not fluent no. But I can speak some and understand most of it. And as far as I know, the majority of Americans only speak english... unless they're from Mexico or another country and migrated to the states.

I can't really speak for the Americans. I'm just saying what I do know as I know a shit load of Americans.

Oh, ok. I guess you misread what I said or my english messed up again. Sorry.
I meant, are the Canadians that speak French as a first language's english different than the American one?

KHWHD
09-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Oh, ok. I guess you misread what I said or my english messed up again. Sorry.
I meant, are the Canadians that speak French as a first language's english different than the American one?

I'd have to say, probably not a lot different. Most of the french people that speak french as a first language speak really good english with a big accent of course. My friends hubby is from Quebec and has a strong french accent. The accent is the big thing I think.

Gustavo
09-26-2008, 12:17 PM
I'd have to say, probably not a lot different. Most of the french people that speak french as a first language speak really good english with a big accent of course. My friends hubby is from Quebec and has a strong french accent. The accent is the big thing I think.

Thanks for explaining that to me. That's what I thought...
Changing the subject a little bit.... Is there much xenophobia over there?

jacknife737
09-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the informations. It would be just awesome to study in Canada, but it's too expensive, isn't it?
I'm thinking about studying journalism or system analysis.

No problem. I wouldn't say it's cheap, it is less expensive to study in Canada then say the United States, much cheaper.

Changing the subject a little bit.... Is there much xenophobia over there?

Quebec has been getting a bit of a bad rap for that lately, but it mostly seems to be directed at visible minorities, particularly Muslims. As to how valid that claim is, i'm not sure, i don't live in Quebec. But if you stick to the urban centers, ie Montreal, i'm sure you wouldn't encounter as much crap as you would in the rural areas.

Gustavo
09-26-2008, 12:30 PM
No problem. I wouldn't say it's cheap, it is less expensive to study in Canada then say the United States, much cheaper.

Quebec has been getting a bit of a bad rap for that lately, but it mostly seems to be directed at visible minorities, particularly Muslims. As to how valid that claim is, i'm not sure, i don't live in Quebec. But if you stick to the urban centers, ie Montreal, i'm sure you wouldn't encounter as much crap as you would in the rural areas.

Oh, I see. Well, I think that xenophobia sux :(
Do you think if I get to go to Quebec some day I'd be treated different due my foreign accent or because of my nationality?

jacknife737
09-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Oh, I see. Well, I think that xenophobia sux :(
Do you think if I get to go to Quebec some day I'd be treated different due my foreign accent or because of my nationality?

Anywhere you go, you'll find that there are assholes. If you got to Quebec, i'm sure you'll be fine, every time i've visited i've had a great experience.