PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Superior and Why it is Awesome.

T-6005
09-18-2008, 09:31 AM
So my brother hasn't applied to any schools or universities - he's basically kicking back at home being useless and refusing to get a job in a foreign country.

You know what? That's fine - if I could do that I probably would. Just hanging around all day mooching off my parents while doing nothing with myself? It sounds like my dream job, assuming I've got friends within a few thousand miles.

More importantly to my tale, though, my brother decided that he wanted beer after he and his friend ran out, and felt the need to drive to get it. So without talking to anyone (because he's like that) he went into the kitchen and took the keys and left - and wrecked my parents' car.

This truly a golden moment in the "I'm a better son" unstated siblings' rivalry. So I've been unable to get into all of my courses, meaning that my undergrad is pushed back an extra year? I can (and do) blame the university for being a bunch of jackasses. But he wrecked their car.

It's funny.

HornyPope
09-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Savour that moment mmm... yess... but remember: he may come around to pwn your ass one day, so be always on your guard. As long as he is alive, your supremacy is not guaranteed. As long as he is alive...

Free?
09-18-2008, 10:42 AM
What a lovely family you have :).

coke_a_holic
09-18-2008, 11:18 AM
There's no bitterness here at all.

Older or younger brother? Sounds like you win, regardless, but if it's older, then you superwin.

Cock Joke
09-18-2008, 11:19 AM
LOL! That's comedy.

ad8
09-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Um... I expected this thread to be different... but hey, the story was entertaining. So what's going to happen next?:D But seriously, what did your brother say? Did he at least excuse his behaviour?

Sunny
09-18-2008, 11:28 AM
What a lovely family you have :).

it's not like competitive feelings between siblings are at all uncommon.

it's an experience i've been spared (only child, hi) although there always was quite a bit of unstated competition between my cousins and myself. same in my mens' family. it's normal. *shrug*

T-6005
09-18-2008, 11:34 AM
It just feels lovely to be purposely petty once in a while.

Coke, it's my younger brother. I honestly do want him to succeed and do well at something, but, well - my pettiness is such that I wouldn't mind if he was a little worse at it than I was. Perhaps it's being older. More likely I'm shallow.

What can you do?

As for the car, I doubt he's apologized for it. He's been put to work by my parents and now basically cleans all the unsavory bits of the house. But he's just not the kind to apologize - very stubborn child.

Vlad - Don't I know it. But I'm not worried right now. I'm safe for at least a few months as long as I don't do something really stupid.

Free? - What are you saying? That my family isn't lovely?

Llamas
09-18-2008, 12:01 PM
That's awesome, haha. You should start wearing a tshirt that says 'the good son' on it.

Nothing that extreme has happened with me, but I'm the only child of four that will have gone to university. My older brother is a service writer at a car dealership, my little sister doesn't want to/doesn't have the GPA go ever go to any college and will end up working as a hair stylist or something, and my little brother doesn't have the GPA to go to college. Sometimes that makes me feel kinda superior, especially because I can rub in my step dad's face that the kid that he had the least influence over was the only college student. :P

Free?
09-18-2008, 12:16 PM

it's an experience i've been spared (only child, hi) although there always was quite a bit of unstated competition between my cousins and myself. same in my mens' family. it's normal. *shrug*

Free? - What are you saying? That my family isn't lovely?

Yeah, I know all of that (I have a younger brother as well), I just find it pretty funny and even charming (I imagined the picture as a comedy episode), I didn't mean to say anything bad. So I, guess, I was saying that your family is lovely because such things happen!

lost_nvrfound
09-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Yay for feeling good about yourself!

Yeah, I have this thing of beating out my older brother when it comes to jobs.

Granted, I still have the "he barely graduated and didn't go to college" thing whereas i graduated with honors and got into the most selective major at my school with a full scholarship... yeah... thats nice

But my favorite thing is to beat him out in the working world.

First, I got my first job at 16 and held it for 8 months before i was laid off along with several others. HE didn't get a job until he was nearly 19 and only held it for a week before he was fired.

I also got all 3 of the jobs i've had at my first interview. He goes to lots and lots for the same type of job.

He kept going off about how hard finding a job was and how no one was hiring (everytime he gets fired from a job), but I can always find one within a couple weeks of looking.

And finally, I always make more money. The only job he's had so far where he's made more money than I do, the only reason he made more money is because they had no one else to work 3rd shift at cookout...

Only problem is, now my sister is trying to outdo what I did in highschool. She's trying to do lots of AP stuff to make her seem superior. I only took a few because I didn't want that much extra work for classes that I would want to retake in college anyways, so I just took the three I wanted to take. We'll see if she can keep up with the work though. She's already got issues with passing classes as it is.

WebDudette
09-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Haha, I'm also the good son but in my family it isn't hard. I have three half siblings.

One of them is 34ish is a drug addict and has had 4 (one of them is with an unknown father) kids and doesn't live with any of them. One of her kids is with my 38ish half brother who has anger management issues and used tons of drugs at one point. The other 3 are with their dead beat dad in California.

My last sister is actually pretty responsible. She went to school as a nurse/massage therapist. She owned a massage place at one point, but decided to sell it. I haven't talked to her in a while but I'm sure she is doing just fine and her boyfriend is a partial owner of some club. Then again she has 4 counts of D.U.I.'s.

I'd like to point out that I have a 1.9GPA and plan on going to a University. GPA isn't everything, especially if you don't mind spending a year at a Community College.

HornyPope
09-18-2008, 01:31 PM

Me and my sister get along very well. She's a really great kid. She's 18, she studies full time (and has amazing grades) and works 20hr a week on top of taking care of our little brother and helping around the house. We're not really competetive though in a sense that we don't compete against each other, but she is trying to catch up to the expecations laid on her when I set the bar. Sometimes I feel bad because it's unfair that she should live under such pressure (and so much work!), but then I realize she'll make it through and I'm really happy for her.

KHWHD
09-18-2008, 01:31 PM
It's always nice to be the "good" or "responsible" brother or sister. Or even have your parents favour one of you over the other.

I'm the oldest. My sister is 16 months younger than I am. I know for a fact I'm "Daddy's little girl." Always have been, always will be. He tells me everything, and gives me money all the time and doesn't do that with my sister. Him and I have always been closer than my sis was with him. Dad and I used to go to a shit load of Lacrosse games when I was in my early 20's. I used to play recreational lacrosse for fun. My sis was never into sports or video games or anything of the sort, whereas I was and still am. I'm the "tomboy" and she's the "high maintenance" sister. She was always the mouth piece getting into a lot of shit, and I was always the quiet, funny one. None of which hasn't changed for her or I.

Good times.. haha.

Sunny
09-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Me and my sister get along very well. She's a really great kid. She's 18, she studies full time (and has amazing grades) and works 20hr a week on top of taking care of our little brother and helping around the house. We're not really competetive though in a sense that we don't compete against each other, but she is trying to catch up to the expecations laid on her when I set the bar. Sometimes I feel bad because it's unfair that she should live under such pressure (and so much work!), but then I realize she'll make it through and I'm really happy for her.

i think that's great. i never got to experience the dynamic of being the older sibling or cousin. you're the big kid in this situation and i'm sure you're protective of your sister to some degree. i think if you're the youngest kid, though, you feel like you have standards to live up to (or surpass).

Llamas
09-18-2008, 02:09 PM
I'd like to point out that I have a 1.9GPA and plan on going to a University. GPA isn't everything, especially if you don't mind spending a year at a Community College.

Maybe I mean a good University... and with my sister, she's failed enough classes that she probably can't get into any University, and my little brother isn't smart/motivated enough to do well in University. If you have a really bad GPA, I just can't see how it's going to improve in college... and a 1.9 in college will get you kicked out...

Endymion
09-18-2008, 02:33 PM
just in support of pilz, i had ~2.1 gpa in high school (that's including AP creds, where A's were 5). i ended up going to community college for three semesters, then an ok state school, and now i'm at one of the top 25 physics grad schools (and one of the top few in my particular field).

HornyPope
09-18-2008, 03:08 PM
just in support of pilz, i had ~2.1 gpa in high school (that's including AP creds, where A's were 5). i ended up going to community college for three semesters, then an ok state school, and now i'm at one of the top 25 physics grad schools (and one of the top few in my particular field).

I failed almost every class in college (your equivalent of grade 12 and 13) until I was kicked out... my gpa was under 1. Five years later I applied to an average university in an average program and was accepted as a "mature student" (i had to complete an additional 18 credits). Now I have a GPA to get into almost any graduate school in almost every program outside of Law (where I don't want to go anyways).

Once I was afraid, I was petrified...

lost_nvrfound
09-18-2008, 04:31 PM
It's always nice to be the "good" or "responsible" brother or sister. Or even have your parents favour one of you over the other.

I'm the oldest. My sister is 16 months younger than I am. I know for a fact I'm "Daddy's little girl." Always have been, always will be. He tells me everything, and gives me money all the time and doesn't do that with my sister. Him and I have always been closer than my sis was with him. Dad and I used to go to a shit load of Lacrosse games when I was in my early 20's. I used to play recreational lacrosse for fun. My sis was never into sports or video games or anything of the sort, whereas I was and still am. I'm the "tomboy" and she's the "high maintenance" sister. She was always the mouth piece getting into a lot of shit, and I was always the quiet, funny one. None of which hasn't changed for her or I.

Good times.. haha.

Thats kind of how it is with me and my dad. I think he relates more with me than my other siblings in a lot of ways. Sometimes he makes jokes because I tend to do all of the things that the son is supposed to do, like helping out in the yard, helping build things, blowing things up, learning to shoot, actually being interested in things like how a car or an amp works. all that kind of stuff. I also don't complain nearly as much as my sister. I've kind of got this "this is how it is, but its up to me to make it better" outlook on life. My sister however, feels that the whole world (ESPECIALLY me) is out to get her and trying to make her look bad at every turn. same with my brother, but he's a little more into the whole "the world owes me" bullshit. Like, he wants to write comic books for a living but refuses to go to school for it or get any training on how to make a finished product. who would've thought that to reep the benefits of hard work, one must actually put the hard work into it?

I <3 my daddy.

Free?
09-19-2008, 05:00 AM
Here's what I've been thinking. If you try to be honest about competitive feelings of you, aren't they more like "ha, you've failed at something, where I didn't, I'm better than you, hope you'll fail again!" than "ha, I was better this time but I should help you to overcome myself next time", more like it doesn't really make you work harder to gain better results, but you're just happy about your sibling failed at being better than you?

It's an individual thing how each of us can control his thoughts and feelings (they are different things), you might understand that your bro/sis's success isn't a bad thing, but you'll be glad to see him/her doing something worse than you. Feelings sometimes are pretty uncontrollable, we are all humans. except Rutegard =))))))))

T-6005
09-19-2008, 10:25 AM
I think you're looking too far into this.

I don't want to put down my brother or have his face ground into the dirt to make myself feel better. I wish him success and a good life.

That doesn't mean I don't enjoy not fucking up as badly as he does.

Llamas
09-19-2008, 10:05 PM
To the people who responded to my thing about grades- I guess that's a new perspective I hadn't seen before. I was basing it on a previous job I had in admissions at the University of Minnesota... if someone had below like a 2.8 in high school, we pretty much wouldn't consider them and took them off our list. The standards were a bit lower for transfers (getting a high GPA in college is obviously harder than in highschool), but not by that much. So I guess I don't know anything about what you guys did- though Vlad doesn't count cause he's a Canadian. ;)

Vera
09-20-2008, 02:01 AM

Same here. I'm close friends with some of my cousins who're my age and occasionally my dad compares me to them. It's pretty annoying tbh. My half-bro is thankfully so different and so much younger I doubt I'll ever be compared to him or vice versa. Maybe later in life.

I like feeling superior to strangers, feeling superior to family members feels wrong somehow for whatever reason. For example I'm one of the few in my family who got into uni but I feel bad because for example my dad is really interested in higher studies but chose another, more career-orientated hands-on path in his youth because of laziness. And now he's nearly 50 and would like to study History.. :/

WebDudette
09-20-2008, 12:27 PM
I kind of wish I had an actual sibling. All of mine are half-siblings and there is like a 20 year age gap.

Andy
09-20-2008, 05:55 PM
I don't wish that at all. I'm an only-child and damn happy with that. Imagine if my brother was more successful than me? Fuck, that would be a killer.