PDA

View Full Version : Albums or Songs?

WebDudette
09-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Do you listen to individual songs or full albums most often?

I almost always listen to albums. Thats why my top 10 songs on last.fm are all from the same album. I've listened to the album a good 80 times and can probably sing it all the way through, I probably couldn't name every song though.

Of course I do have some favorite songs that I play repeatedly. Thats why my number one song is around 10-15 plays higher then the rest of the songs from that album.

I'd also like to ask what your show etiquette is. Do you get irritated by people moshing/jumping/dancing/etc. Are you one of the people who do this? Do you sing along?

I can't stand still at a show, if there is a circle pit or something I'm going to be in it and I'm going to be singing as loud as possible.

Jakebert
09-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Albums.

The flow of a well crafted album is way better than any iPod on shuffle.

jacknife737
09-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Albums.

The flow of a well crafted album is way better than any iPod on shuffle.

Of course I do have some favorite songs that I play repeatedly. Thats why my number one song is around 10-15 plays higher then the rest of the songs from that album.

This essentially sums up my feelings. I usually listen to albums, but sometimes i hit the repeat button on certain songs more then others. I can't stand listening to music on "shuffle" or whatever. For example, take Against Me!'s album Searching for a Former Clarity, if i didn't listen to the tracks in order, it would just seem... too odd.

I'd also like to ask what your show etiquette is. Do you get irritated by people moshing/jumping/dancing/etc. Are you one of the people who do this? Do you sing along?

90% of the shows i go to are punk shows, thus i spend most of my time dancing/moshing/ and singing along, in fact it seems strange not to. Non-punk shows i tend to chill back at the bar, but they just don't have the same energy, or fun factor for that matter. I find as i get older, I spend more time at the bar, at any show i go to, especially if i'm not keen on the opening act.

Oh, and circle pits > mosh pits; by far

Cock Joke
09-18-2008, 06:04 PM
I go both ways. (No, not like that.)

0r4ng3
09-18-2008, 06:09 PM
I mostly listen to songs, and occasionally an album. But the album will most likely be on shuffle. Very rarely do I listen to a full album start to finish. It's usually when I've just added it to my iTunes that I do that.

Edit: I only listen to shuffle most of the time because it's too much of a hassle to switch the settings on my iPod every time I want to listen to an album. Or else I'd do it more often.

dff_punk
09-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Albums for 99% of the time.

And mosh-pits, dancing, singing, etc., of course. Too bad not many people in my country know circle pits :(

adombomb222
09-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Albums all the way.

Yea the last few concerts I've gone for more the pits rather the music. But its weird not knowing songs and pitting, its so much better when you're singing along and pitting at the same time.

Like Serj Tankian, I knew every song and sung along during clam times in the pit, but that was at the Ogden and the pit is so small and compact that its moving all the time.

Then a local concert I went to recently I didn't know the band well or the songs you were playing... the pit wasn't as fun to me.

I also think it depends on the venue, so venues don't have a very good pit floor. But places like The Fillmore have a great floor for pits, which is why I can't wait for the Rise Against concert. But places like the Ogden have a fucked up three different floors divided by steps and rails, the bottom floor is for pits but it so small and hard to pit in. Which why I'm disappointed that Scars On Broadway is playing there.

adombomb222
09-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Oh, and circle pits > mosh pits; by far

True that.

WebDudette
09-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Hahaha, I don't want to hear 'small and hard to pit in'.

The places that I have had the most fun at have a floor no bigger then my bedroom. Where there is basically no boundary between the crowd and the band (like 2 foot high stages max) and there are people piling on the lead singer to shout the chorus.

The Fillmore looks kind of like The Marquee (if you only count the floor, Marquee doesn't have any seating area like that). You can fit around 30 of the venues I go to in the Marquee's floor. Then there are like actual stadiums which just kinda suck for the most part.

adombomb222
09-18-2008, 08:40 PM
I love the Marquis.

Wait where do you live?

JohnnyNemesis
09-18-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm betting the honest answer for most people is both, but yeah, definitely Albums more for me. I usually go crazy if I'm listening to a song without knowing it in the context of an album. "Club-bangers" are of course exempt, those I can enjoy separately.

nieh
09-18-2008, 09:08 PM
I almost always listen to full albums, so much so that I probably couldn't tell you the song titles to a good half of the stuff I listen to.

Jebus
09-18-2008, 09:17 PM
so much so that I probably couldn't tell you the song titles to a good half of the stuff I listen to.
Me too! I feel horrible that sometimes I can't even remember specific song names from Dream Theater. Funny thing is that I usually remember the track number though, but not the name.

WebDudette
09-18-2008, 09:23 PM
I love the Marquis.

Wait where do you live?

Arizona, Marquee != Marquis.

Free?
09-19-2008, 05:27 AM
Once I have a new album, of course I will listen it as it is, maybe several times, or many times if I really like it, but most common option for me is shuffle. I can put an album queue in player whenever I want. But I really almost always listen whole albums in my player when I go somewhere.

holland25
09-19-2008, 05:33 AM
I don't remember myself listening to one particular song. I always choose album where the song I want to listen to is and then play it as a whole. It's pretty visible on my last.fm profile.

Smash punker
09-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Albums for 99% of the time.

And mosh-pits, dancing, singing, etc., of course. Too bad not many people in my country know circle pits :(

Circle pits aint the thing Id like. Because of POGO! :D

Blitzkrieg Bop
09-19-2008, 08:36 AM
Voted Albums :)

I usually listen to albums, but sometimes i hit the repeat button on certain songs more then others.

I do the exact same thing ;)

dff_punk
09-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Circle pits aint the thing Id like. Because of POGO! :D

You know, POGO does not mean in all countries as what it means in ours. Check out english wikipedia's page for pogo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogo_(dance)

And check out a slovak wikipedia page for pogo:

http://sk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogo

So there is a slight difference, in most foreign countries what we refer to as "pogo" is called "mosh pit" :)

Sinister
09-19-2008, 11:11 AM
I usually listen to albums all the way through the first feww weeks after buying, then they join my shuffle pile. And I'm too tiny to be in the pits as much as I'd want to.

adombomb222
09-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Arizona, Marquee != Marquis.

Are we talking about different venues?

WebDudette
09-20-2008, 01:58 AM
Yes, on account of one being Marquis and the other being the Marquee.

adombomb222
09-20-2008, 02:04 AM
Well there's an awesome venue off Larimer called the Marquis... thought maybe you were talking about it.

Andy
09-20-2008, 09:33 AM
I had a period lasting about a year or so where I only listened to music through the shuffle funtion on my iPod. Over the last couple of weeks however, I've gone back to albums. I agree with the opinion that a well-constructed album is a considerably more rewarding listen than a collection of songs in a playlist or whatever.

Out on Patrol
09-23-2008, 10:21 AM
I usually listen to albums.