PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Obama tops McCain as football-watching buddy

Sunny
09-19-2008, 06:31 AM
WASHINGTON - People would rather watch a football game with Barack Obama than with John McCain but by barely the length of a football.

read the rest of this fuckery here:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080919/ap_on_el_pr/ap_yahoo_poll_football

regardless of the fact that my candidate of choice is leading in this poll, what bothers me is that this question is even being asked, because it hints at a really disturbing trend. i really hate the "personality rather than policy" nature of American elections. the president is not supposed to be your buddy who accompanies you to football games, drinks beer and barbecues possums in your backyard. why on earth does it matter if you "relate" to him on a personal level? he's supposed to be a leader of your country, not your BFF. people say they like McCain because he's like a cuddly grandpa with lots of stories to tell, and Palin is a "real American mom" with "real issues". ok, great! i'm sure McCain makes a great grandpa (if a bit crotchety), and Palin is a star of PTA meetings. that doesn't make them good prospective leaders in the least.

it's polls like this that divert the voters' attention from pressing issues and give way to a barrage of even dumber questions. oh is Obama too skinny to relate to the average tubby American? does he drink too much tea and eat too much arugula? can we have a president who shops at Whole Foods while middle America shops at Walmart? it's sick.

is relatability really that important? are people really that stupid? would they really prefer to have a good buddy in the White House instead of a capable leader?

Jojan
09-19-2008, 06:47 AM
American football sucks. Shouldn't even be called football, dumbass USA.

0r4ng3
09-19-2008, 07:18 AM
That's not even the point! You're straying away from what's really important--

Oh wait. I see what you did there.

Rag Doll
09-19-2008, 08:28 AM
is relatability really that important? are people really that stupid? would they really prefer to have a good buddy in the White House instead of a capable leader?

yes, yes, and yes.

unfortunately.

sKratch
09-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Exactly what I was thinking while reading an article about Palin where she addressed people on Wallstreet as "guys and gals". Seriously?