PDA

View Full Version : i<3 iTunes 8

IamSam
09-19-2008, 09:44 AM
So I'm pretty much in love with the new 'Genius' feature of iTunes 8. I like the fact it finds music very similar to other music in your library. I also like the new format for browsing by Artist/Album/Genre. It pretty much rocks my socks. Anyone else have any opinions?

Little_Miss_1565
09-19-2008, 09:57 AM
I like it. It saves me the time and aggravation of creating a playlist to match a mood, especially handy when I'm in a shitty one. But it's rather flawed. It often throws in one or more songs by the same artist, and though it came up with a great playlist for a rather obscureish Joseph Arthur song, I tried making one for a more well known Nick Cave song and it said it couldn't do it.

Autonomist
09-19-2008, 09:59 AM
This thread has served a prompt and it's downloading right now.

IamSam
09-19-2008, 10:11 AM
I like it. It saves me the time and aggravation of creating a playlist to match a mood, especially handy when I'm in a shitty one. But it's rather flawed. It often throws in one or more songs by the same artist, and though it came up with a great playlist for a rather obscureish Joseph Arthur song, I tried making one for a more well known Nick Cave song and it said it couldn't do it.

I just noticed a little of that too. I selected a Jack Johnson song and it through in Fat Lip and Platypus by Green Day. Odd. I'm guessing they'll continue to work on it since it is the first version.

0r4ng3
09-19-2008, 12:20 PM
So, how does Genius work? Does it choose songs from the iTunes store, or your library? I turned it off when I first downloaded iTunes 8 because I didn't have the time to figure it out.

IamSam
09-19-2008, 01:52 PM
So, how does Genius work? Does it choose songs from the iTunes store, or your library? I turned it off when I first downloaded iTunes 8 because I didn't have the time to figure it out.

It does both. I'll explain.

1. Select a song. Here I have Strength by Zebrahead selected. On the Genius sidebar iTunes brings up the bands top albums, songs you don't have, and recommends songs that you don't have that are similar to it.
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/birchwl/Genius1.jpg

2. Press the Genius button. (The one that looks like an atom)
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/birchwl/Genius2.jpg

3. By pressing the Genius button, iTunes creates a playlist of songs that you already have that are similar to the song you had selected. Once again, I use Strength by Zebrahead:
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/birchwl/Genius3.jpg

Hope that helps!

Sunny
09-19-2008, 02:13 PM
mew. it's not bad, but... i dunno. i can't see myself using Genius on a regular basis. anytime i'm putting together a playlist, it's with very specific songs in mind, and i'd rather do it manually than have an algorithm try to figure it out. *control freak*

that being said, it's pretty good as far as iTunes updates go, considering they're usually glitchy and annoying. so... upgrade.

the new browsing format is cool, but a bit slow if you have a huge library and are always running tons of other programs. so. :z

hshduppsnt
09-19-2008, 02:31 PM
haha so i was messin around with the feature...

"top songs you're missing" - there were good suggestions for a lot of bands. Then I played an offspring song... that section disappeared all together :) hahahaha. (not that I am surprised... but still... amused...)

(... give me a break its been a long day in the lab...)

0r4ng3
09-19-2008, 03:59 PM
(Genius)

Ok, cool, thanks for explaining. I might use it a few times.

Autonomist
09-19-2008, 10:04 PM
I notice you have to have an iTunes account to use it. If I register one this isn't going to feed back to it that 100% of my library is illegally downloaded by any chance is it?

IamSam
09-19-2008, 10:52 PM
I notice you have to have an iTunes account to use it. If I register one this isn't going to feed back to it that 100% of my library is illegally downloaded by any chance is it?

No. The majority of mine is illegal as well.

Vera
09-20-2008, 12:52 AM
Eh.

First it wouldn't recognize either of my iPods, causing a major freakout and I actually had to try and remove iTunes so it would recognize my iPods and update them. It didn't work (the removal) so instead I restarted, tried again, restarted, and then, as if magic, it recognized my iPod mini. WTF? This whole procedure took me like 1.5 hrs, I was late for a get-together because of this (leaving my place without my iPod didn't seem like an option at the time) and it was a pain in the ass.

Second, Genius does fuck all to me as a listener of music NOT available on iTunes. It doesn't find anything remotely similar to like 78% of my music library (think non-English music - even if iTunes lists music like Hindi film soundtracks, it doesn't recognize the music that's already in my library) and the stuff it does recognize, it recommends shit I know I won't like.

Haven't tried the "make a playlist" option, am skeptical. Like Sunny I usually already have a set of songs in mind when I want to listen to a playlist. Often I just make composed of my current lot of absolute favourite songs.

Andy
09-20-2008, 06:40 AM
Downloading now!

Sunny
09-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Haven't tried the "make a playlist" option, am skeptical. Like Sunny I usually already have a set of songs in mind when I want to listen to a playlist. Often I just make composed of my current lot of absolute favourite songs.

yep. i hardly ever make "genre" oriented playlists. most of my playlists are completely nuts, in the sense that they incorporate songs no one would ever put together. especially not Genius.

Rag Doll
09-20-2008, 08:34 AM
i dont really like the playlist feature, because i'm like Sunny when i make a playlist. i do like the recommend music feature though...

JohnnyNemesis
09-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Is there no longer any way to get rid of the minilinks to the store or the Genre field?

Tired_Of_You
09-23-2008, 03:46 PM
I got a program called Secrets that lets you change lots of things on your computer, and I got rid of those links. There might be a way to do that on Itunes itself, but I don't remember. I tried to get rid of the genre field as well, but it didn't work...

You can download it here, if you're interested :
http://secrets.blacktree.com/

screencap.
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2082/image1nb8.jpg

JohnnyNemesis
09-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Love you! Thanks.

XYlophonetreeZ
09-23-2008, 05:58 PM
What Sunny said, and also, I'm not interested in hearing songs I already have that are similar to some song I like. I'm like, I'll be the judge of that, kthx. If I want to hear similar music that I don't already have, I'll make a station on Pandora.

0r4ng3
09-23-2008, 06:03 PM
I installed the Secrets thing, but whenever I click on it my System Preferences unexpectedly closes. Help plz?