PDA

View Full Version : Favorite opening bands?

StayInTheHouseCarl
09-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Usually, most people go to see the headlining band at shows. Some openers you get are like "what the hell", and you constantly check your watch, hoping their set ends soon.
But sometimes... you get really awesome opening bands, some youve heard of, some you havent, that blow you away.

Favorite opening bands?

Free?
09-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Not many so great opening bands from my experience. The only band that was reeeaaally fucking amazing as opener was Down (with Phil Anselmo). They were warming up crowd on Metallica show. Kickass! Phil is the Man. If you'll see him live you'll feel great respect towards him, he owned the crowd. Maybe I was so impressed because he kept pointing at me, giving me thumbups and noding for like 10 seconds.
They even managed to stop pretty strong rain and dry us up before Metallica.
But they were the second band to play on the show, The Sword were real openers, but whatever!

jacknife737
09-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Headliners: Dropkick Murphy’s
Good Openers: Big D and the Kids Table; Far From Finished*

Headliners: Alkaline Trio
Good Openers: The Lawrence Arms

Headliners: Against Me!
Good Openers: The Mahoney’s*

* = Bands that I had not heard before

And I’m sure I’m forgetting a show or two here…

Little_Miss_1565
09-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Shannon Wright blew me away when she opened for Nick Cave in Chicago a few years ago. Most of the shows I see are much smaller so the opening bands are often just as popular if not more popular than the headliners.

But they were the second band to play on the show, The Sword were real openers, but whatever!

The Sword are fucking amazing.

Free?
09-19-2008, 12:47 PM
The Sword are fucking amazing.

They played clean and good and everything like that, but they were tooooooo shy, it was raining, and they didn't even try to speak with crowd and make it move.

StayInTheHouseCarl
09-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Far from Finished are awesome, my band actually opened for them at a show like a month ago.

The best opener I've ever seen was actually the Vandals. haha. They opened for the Mighty Mighty Bosstones/ Dropkick Murphys.

Others: God Awfuls, Supernova, Nerfherder, Hunter Revenge, the Matches, the Dead Pets...

jacknife737
09-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Far from Finished are awesome, my band actually opened for them at a show like a month ago.

Others: God Awfuls, Supernova, Nerfherder, Hunter Revenge, the Matches, the Dead Pets...

I know, i had no idea who the hell they were, but Far from Finished still totally rocked my night.

Also, who the fuck were Supernova opening for? I actually feel physical pain thinking about watching them live (they're that band based off the reality tv show right?)?

Rag Doll
09-19-2008, 11:25 PM
The Electric Touch. They opened for the Fratellis in NYC a few weeks back. They were really good and really got the crowd going. They worked their merch table after they played and signed cds and took pics and stuff. So, that made me like them even more.

I also dug Biffy Clyro when they opened for Say Anything in March. Otherwise....uhhh. Can't really think of too much that has been *wow*....unless I knew of the band beforehand.

Andy
09-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Headliners: Dropkick Murphys
Openers: Frenzal Rhomb (already heard of, but hadn't really listened to much)

Headliners: Less Then Jake
Openers: Teen Idols (already heard of, but never seen before)

Headliners: Blink 182
Openers: Motion City Soundtrack (hadn't heard of before)

That's all I can think of right now.

T-6005
09-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Opener: Flashlight Brown
Headliner: Sugarcult

Opener: Sugarcult
Headliner: Good Charlotte (they were terrible, and I didn't know Sugarcult would even be there. Just went with some friends for no real reason. They ended up saving my night.)

Andy
09-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Thought of a couple more.

Headliners: Queens of the Stone Age
Openers: Millionaire (never heard of before, never heard of since, but they were pretty good)

Headliners: Reel Big Fish/Goldfinger
Openers: Sugarcult (heard one song previously, haven't bothered to hear more since, but as with Millionaire, they were mucho fun)

StayInTheHouseCarl
09-20-2008, 09:20 AM
I know, i had no idea who the hell they were, but Far from Finished still totally rocked my night.

Also, who the fuck were Supernova opening for? I actually feel physical pain thinking about watching them live (they're that band based off the reality tv show right?)?

oh god no! youre thinking rockstar:supernova. lol

Supernova is the costa mesa punk band who sued the reality show for trying to steal the name they've used for years. And they won! So from then on, the reality show band had to go by Rockstar: Supernova.

And Supernova is awesome, they opened for the Vandals
They have a song on the original Clerks movie soundtrack. Called "Chewbacca"

StayInTheHouseCarl
09-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Another great one was Eagles of Death Metal opening for Queens of the Stone Age.

and Foo Fighters opening for the Police....but i dont know if i really count that one. lol

jacknife737
09-20-2008, 12:39 PM
@ Andy and T-6005, Sugarcult are really fun live, i caught their set at the 04 Warped Tour. Nothing groundbreaking, but like i said, really, really fun.

oh god no! youre thinking rockstar:supernova. lol

Supernova is the costa mesa punk band who sued the reality show for trying to steal the name they've used for years. And they won! So from then on, the reality show band had to go by Rockstar: Supernova.

And Supernova is awesome, they opened for the Vandals
They have a song on the original Clerks movie soundtrack. Called "Chewbacca"

Hahaha, i totally forgot about those guys. I think i saw them on an episode of Yo Gabba Gabba!.