PDA

View Full Version : Diary of Anne Frank...

Tyler Durden
09-19-2008, 07:55 PM
So I was kind've thinking...Doesn't it seem totally creepy that Anne's father just read her diary like that? All those sexual thoughts in there, it just seems like a disturbing thing...And the fact it's her dad makes it super creepy and odd. And then to share it with the whole world? Talk about an invasion of privacy...

Cock Joke
09-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Hahahah! That is pretty funny.

IamSam
09-19-2008, 08:30 PM
It was her wish to be an author at some point in time. Her father was very moved by everything in the diary, private and public, so...he had it published.

ninthlayer
09-19-2008, 08:32 PM
So I was kind've thinking...Doesn't it seem totally creepy that Anne's father just read her diary like that? All those sexual thoughts in there, it just seems like a disturbing thing...And the fact it's her dad makes it super creepy and odd. And then to share it with the whole world? Talk about an invasion of privacy...

Or it's a culturally important text and you're a dunce with a shitty username from a lackluster movie.

IamSam
09-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Or it's a culturally important text and you're a dunce with a shitty username from a lackluster movie.

That too. I just didn't want to be the ass that started something. Cause it seems, or at least has been pointed out to me, that I apparently pick fights or something.

Tyler Durden
09-19-2008, 08:50 PM

What's your problem?

HornyPope
09-19-2008, 09:52 PM
What's your problem?

Think about what Anne meant in your life. Sometimes the end justifies the means. The fact that her story has moved millions of people makes the invasion of privacy okay.

Endymion
09-20-2008, 02:06 AM
what's brown and hides in the attic?

the diarrhea of anne frank.

bighead384
09-20-2008, 07:32 AM

Does the published version contain all her private thoughts?

JoY
09-20-2008, 07:45 AM
it's a diary... how on earth are you going to leave out private thoughts.

Sunny
09-20-2008, 07:48 AM

ooooooooh!

T-6005
09-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Drivin' down the street in my Panzer tank
Sippin' on some cris with mah bitch Anne Frank

bighead384
09-20-2008, 07:54 AM
it's a diary... how on earth are you going to leave out private thoughts.

People edit and twist around information all the time in order to be perceived in a certain way or convey a certain message. It wouldn't surprise me if this was done to a published diary anymore than anything else.

jacknife737
09-21-2008, 01:47 AM
Oh man, this just reminded me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnJujTjUvkw

God damn you Kevin Smith.

bighead384
09-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Oh man, this just reminded me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnJujTjUvkw

God damn you Kevin Smith.

Hahaha. Kevin Smith movies rule except Chasing Amy.

Jakebert
09-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Kevin Smith is overrated.

Other than that, I have a friend that went to tell a Helen Keller joke, but he got Helen Keller and Anne Frank mixed up. I personally feel it made the joke funnier.

jacknife737
09-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Hahaha. Kevin Smith movies rule except Chasing Amy.

It was alright, not his best work though.

bighead384
09-22-2008, 08:11 AM
It was alright, not his best work though.

I found the characters to be annoyingly dramatic and the film was just too preachy. It wasn't even that funny, and I think that's what Kevin Smith does best.

JoY
09-23-2008, 06:11 AM
People edit and twist around information all the time in order to be perceived in a certain way or convey a certain message. It wouldn't surprise me if this was done to a published diary anymore than anything else.

it's true that the book you buy in stores isn't the exact version of her diary, but I don't think you understand the reason why her diary was published.

just to make sure, Anne wrote this diary when she was 13-15 years old, during the time she hid with her family & family's friends in a secret annex. she was a teenage girl in the middle of puberty robbed from her freedom, isolated from her friends, which must have been, besides a very limited & "boring" period of her life, an emotional rollercoaster. initially she wasn't deliberately sending out a message, she needed to express herself. after she heard on the radio that letters & diaries from during the war would be published after the war, she rewrote a large part of the diary herself with that aim in mind. that was shortly before the entire household was captured, though. therefore the published version is a mixture of the actual diary, stripped of thoughts that are simply nobody's business & that add no value to her story, & the book she had started working on the year of their arrest. if I remember correctly.

also to Tyler - imagine the position her father was in; you survive a world war as the only one of your entire family, your house is empty & you've got nothing left. but there it is; the diary of your beloved daughter. it describes the days you were, despite everything, together & happy in a way. it describes a deeply personal view on the war of one person, who in the future will never be able to talk again. at the same time, it describes the experiences & feelings of thousands of people, who were in the same situation, who will never be able to express themselves again. it's not only moving, it's the world's chance to glance into a life thousands of people lived & only a few survived of who close to none can talk about.

but more importantly for Anne's father, it describes the life & inner world of the daughter he's only been able to know for 15 years, whose personality was just developing, before she was taken away. she had documented their life together & how she had experienced it. with her diary, her father was given the chance to keep a tiny piece of her alive. he got to know & understand his own daughter better by her diary & that alone justifies him reading it.

her father published the diary to realise the wish of his daughter to become a writer (& to have this published) & for the world to understand. for one, as a loving father you wouldn't twist your daughter's words in the one book she will ever write. secondly, changing & twisting information isn't going to make the world's understanding of her life better. if anything, it'd make it worse. he helped to prep it for publication, but it's not like you said, with the purpose of having it percieved a certain way, or to send out a message of his own. he just wanted it to be suitable for publication, as Anne would've wanted, & wanted it to be for everyone to read.

edit; ps. one thing you definitely *are* right about; no, it doesn't contain all of her private thoughts. :] what was taken out, were her thoughts on her mother & parts that expressed her developing sexuality.