PDA

View Full Version : getting fired

Llamas
09-21-2008, 10:29 PM
So, two weeks ago, my car died at a stop sign intersection. My phone was dead, so I couldn't call anyone, including work to tell them I wasn't coming. I got written up for a no-call/no-show (expected), and my boss just said this can't happen again. Okay, fine, it won't.

This weekend, I took a bus to Wisconsin so my brother (who's in the car business) could help me get a new car, because my credit sucks and I know jack shit about finding a car. I was supposed to work tonight at 5pm, and expected to have a car by yesterday and to drive back today. We didn't end up finding anything for me yesterday, and I didn't get a car until about noon today. It's 4.5-5 hours from here back home, so there's no way I would've made it in time to work. I called everybody I could to try to find someone to cover my shift, but everyone was either working or couldn't work. When I exhausted my options, it was almost 4pm... I called work to tell them I couldn't be there. The manager was pissed that I didn't call til an hour before the shift, so I explained how hard I'd tried to find someone to work for me. It doesn't make sense to call and say you're not going to be there if someone else is going to be there to work for you, and it almost never happens there that you don't find someone who doesn't want to work for you. I really expected to find a cover. So he said "Alright", and I said, "Okay?" He said "No, it's not. But I'll deal with you later," and then hung up. Basically, I think I'm going to be fired.

Honestly, I am wondering if I'm crazy for thinking this doesn't warrent a termination. I did everything I could. I don't feel like I was irresponsible. The only thing I can think of is that I could've called earlier to tell them I wasn't coming, but then they just might've tried to find someone to come in for me- which is exactly what I did anyway-or they would've just crossed me off for the night and worked a person short (which is more likely). Until two weeks ago, I'd never called in or missed a shift before. My manager is completely not understanding of what I'm going through with my car situation, either. :-/ Did I really do something bad enough to get fired?

lost_nvrfound
09-21-2008, 10:33 PM
If he didn't fire you instantly, then maybe you've still got a shot at keeping your job. Usually, when I've seen something like that happen with people when I'm at work, they end up sitting down with the GM and hashing it out. Maybe you can make a deal?

Llamas
09-21-2008, 10:47 PM
If he didn't fire you instantly, then maybe you've still got a shot at keeping your job. Usually, when I've seen something like that happen with people when I'm at work, they end up sitting down with the GM and hashing it out. Maybe you can make a deal?

Well, he said he was really busy and that was why he would deal with me later. At the same time, though, he's such a dick to me that I've nearly walked out several times, and if he puts me in a position where he says he's going to fire me because of this, I don't even want to work there anymore. I more or less just want to know from a moral standpoint whether I truly did something wrong, because I don't feel that I did...

lost_nvrfound
09-21-2008, 10:56 PM
I think that maybe you should've called earlier to say that you couldn't come in and that you were trying to find someone to stand in. And unfortunately, a lot of companies have a no tolerance policy if you try to use transportation as an excuse for a no call/no show. But if you've been reliable in the past, I think he is over reacting a little.

I've seen several people fired for the same type thing sadly.

I don't think you really did anything wrong though. Most of the managers I know/have had give a little slack for something like that if you're genuinely a reliable, decent employee.

Little_Miss_1565
09-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Well...yeah, he does rather have grounds to fire you. It might have been better if you had made arrangements beforehand for someone to cover your shift since you knew you'd be going a long way from home to get this sorted out.

Hope it all works out for the best for you tomorrow.

Llamas
09-21-2008, 11:05 PM
I think that maybe you should've called earlier to say that you couldn't come in and that you were trying to find someone to stand in. And unfortunately, a lot of companies have a no tolerance policy if you try to use transportation as an excuse for a no call/no show.

It might have been better if you had made arrangements beforehand for someone to cover your shift since you knew you'd be going a long way from home to get this sorted out.

These are in fact good points... :-/ bah. Sometimes I wish I was better at planning ahead...

Oxygene
09-22-2008, 02:36 AM
The shitty thing is after a while (from a managers pov) all these excuses don't really matter, keep in mind that usually, for every person with a shitty car and legit excuses for not being late, there is 10 willing to take their job, who won't fuck up.

It's not about doing something wrong, because you obviously went the extra mile and made a huge effort.. it's just about how replaceable you are by people who they won't have trouble with.

It's called being exploited by capitalism.. is it fair? No! Did you fuck up? No! Are you morally right? Yeah! Should you get fired from the managers perspective? Probably...

It sucks but that's how it is unfortunately.

Nina
09-22-2008, 02:39 AM
Sorry to hear about all your trouble.
hm...I cant speak for your boss but in Germany it is absolutely inacceptable to be late more than once or not call in sick/whatever in time, that would have been a reason to fire you over here. I've actually seen it happen to my colleages.
I remember getting in trouble once because I arrived at work five minutes before my shift! That was totally uncalled for because five minutes before does not equal LATE and all I had to do is put my bag somewhere and start to work, but my boss said I am supposed to be there before that ~just in case~. Needless to say I quit that job, but yeah, it gives one an idea how important it is.
However maybe it's not like that over there, and you're lucky your boss didnt react immediatelly. Try not to worry about it, I am sure there are also other jobs out there (unless you really love this one...that would suck). Good luck.

Vera
09-22-2008, 02:48 AM
If your boss is such a dick that you've nearly walked out, maybe getting fired is not such an unwelcome change. Would you have a tough time finding a new one?

JohnnyNemesis
09-22-2008, 07:05 AM
I think it would have been a better idea to call in even earlier to let them know instead of asking around; put the situation in their hands instead of leaving them fucked an hour before the shift. Let them worry about finding coverage, even though you did do the cool thing by trying to do that yourself.

Again, what sucks is that you did try to do the right thing, so it's not like you were wrong. You were right and still "deserve" to get fired, cause it's not his job to be all understanding or whatever, it's his job to make sure everything is covered at your place of work. It's twisted and it sucks. Sorry all this crap had to happen!

sKratch
09-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Basically what a few people have already said. I think you should have at least let them know in advance that you were out looking for a car and you might need someone to cover your shift. I personally would never expect to find a car and make the decision to buy it in the span of a weekend.

You didn't do anything with bad intentions, but especially from your boss' perspective, you could have handled it a lot better.

What kind of job do you have?

Rag Doll
09-22-2008, 08:32 AM
From someone who has been in the same position as your boss (manager of a staff of 15-20 mainly college age people), I would fire you in an instant. I'm sorry, but I totally would.

Good luck when you work. Your boss is probably nicer than me when it comes to this =)

wheelchairman
09-22-2008, 09:04 AM
What kind of a shitty employment market do you work in where you are expected to find a replacement?

It's nice having a union. And like being a student with a job but not necessarily equating that to the abject degradation people in the states seem to go through with their employers.

People really work for 5$ an hour? Amazing!

You really belong in a basement in Austria. I mean you really belong in Austria again!

On a side note, What's the population of Austria?

About twice as much as you'd think.

Llamas
09-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Sorry to hear about all your trouble.
hm...I cant speak for your boss but in Germany it is absolutely inacceptable to be late more than once or not call in sick/whatever in time, that would have been a reason to fire you over here. I've actually seen it happen to my colleages.
I remember getting in trouble once because I arrived at work five minutes before my shift! That was totally uncalled for because five minutes before does not equal LATE and all I had to do is put my bag somewhere and start to work, but my boss said I am supposed to be there before that ~just in case~. Needless to say I quit that job, but yeah, it gives one an idea how important it is.
However maybe it's not like that over there, and you're lucky your boss didnt react immediatelly. Try not to worry about it, I am sure there are also other jobs out there (unless you really love this one...that would suck). Good luck.
Wow, that's pretty intense. It's not like that here. For my other job (my main job), I'm expected to be anywhere at least 15-30 minutes ahead of time, but it's because I have stuff to set up and prepare. For this job, half the employees regularly show up 15-30 minutes LATE, and I never see any repercussions. There are a few people who never get to work on time, and nobody ever says anything. This is obnoxiously irritating, especially when I'm supposed to leave when they get there.

If your boss is such a dick that you've nearly walked out, maybe getting fired is not such an unwelcome change. Would you have a tough time finding a new one?
It's true. The only reasons I keep this job are I make $20-25 per hour, it's open 24 hours so the flexibility is awesome, and I'm friends with a bunch of my coworkers. I could find another job pretty easily, but it'd be hard to find something with these kinds of perks. I have another job that's awesome, but I need a second one to make my bills.

Basically what a few people have already said. I think you should have at least let them know in advance that you were out looking for a car and you might need someone to cover your shift. I personally would never expect to find a car and make the decision to buy it in the span of a weekend.
The thing is, I went out of state to have my brother (who's been in the car business for 15 years) find me a car. He actually guaranteed I'd have a car by 5pm on Saturday, and felt absolutely awful when we didn't have one by then. When I left to head up there on Friday, he actually had a car set for me... when we went to get it, he realized the odometer was weird so he didn't see the 1- he thought it had 92,000 miles on it, but it was actually 192,000. So that was out, and we were at square one.

What kind of job do you have?
It's just a waitressing job.

What kind of a shitty employment market do you work in where you are expected to find a replacement?

It's nice having a union. And like being a student with a job but not necessarily equating that to the abject degradation people in the states seem to go through with their employers.

People really work for 5$ an hour? Amazing!

You really belong in a basement in Austria. I mean you really belong in Austria again!

On a side note, What's the population of Austria?

About twice as much as you'd think.

uhhhh..... what?

KHWHD
09-22-2008, 08:41 PM
You make $20-$25 an hour waitressing? Or is that the wage you normally get as a waitress plus tips? Cause here I know waitressing is only like $8.00 an hour + tips. I waitressed for 2 years - paid great tips, but too many pigs so I quit.

Llamas
09-22-2008, 09:01 PM
You make $20-$25 an hour waitressing? Or is that the wage you normally get as a waitress plus tips? Cause here I know waitressing is only like $8.00 an hour + tips. I waitressed for 2 years - paid great tips, but too many pigs so I quit.

It's after tips. I make min wage normally, which is like $6.75 or something... and then like $20/hr in tips. There are some pigs, yes... I don't work there that often, which helps... our customers are mostly old people, too, which is annoying to me, but usually old people aren't pigs.

KHWHD
09-22-2008, 09:13 PM
It's after tips. I make min wage normally, which is like $6.75 or something... and then like $20/hr in tips. There are some pigs, yes... I don't work there that often, which helps... our customers are mostly old people, too, which is annoying to me, but usually old people aren't pigs.

That's true. It's a tough job, I know. You run your ass off and you definitely earn your money waitressing.

wheelchairman
09-23-2008, 12:48 PM
The basis of my jokes was on the Josef Fritzl incident. But Austria actually has a history of this, case in point, Natasha Kampuch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Fritzl

JohnnyNemesis
09-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Ohhhh. I thought NickyNineDoors logged into your account or something.

wheelchairman
09-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Well I was drunk. But I think he's admitted to being stoned all the time. It's amazing how that comes through so clearly.

RickyCrack
09-23-2008, 09:00 PM
the clear answer is to move to Iowa and live in my bed while I support you

ps. whats the word on those tickets so we can get sloppy while my college owns your silly gophers

lost_nvrfound
09-23-2008, 10:37 PM

Minimum for waitresses in MN is $6.75???

Christ! Its only $3.13 here! Granted that I was the only waitress who would actually work on my shift so I was averaging about $15 an hour. I really busted my ass at that job.

and to WCM, NC has one of the lowest minimum wages in the country and its at $6.15, which is a new thing. One year ago it was $5.15. How the fuck is anybody supposed to survive on that?

I work at a nice store at the mall and I still only make $7 an hour, which for a starting position is pretty good. Its highway robbery! I want to wait tables again. At least doing that, I could wear sneakers...

JoY
09-24-2008, 06:22 AM
hey sista, just wanted to say I feel your pain. it happened to me too once, because of terrible planning skills. quite honestly, I couldn't fit the job into my schedule anyway & I was thinking about quitting, but I was too chickenshit to admit to myself that it was too much next to my studies.

I don't know for how long you've worked there & what kind of impression you've left on your collegues over time, but if I were you, I'd still ask for a recommendation, despite the fact they let you go. just ask a friendly collegue, or someone who's in charge you get along with, to write about which function you had, which tasks you fulfilled during the time you worked there, which responsibilities you carried in your position & about your teamwork capabilities.

that's what I did. at first the head of the department refused to write a recommendation for me, since I had been fired (duh), but when I e-mailed him again, that I really wanted one anyway to have something to show for my time at the foundation, he agreed to do it. I made the e-mail superfriendly & megapositive towards the whole foundation & the work they do, I put a lot of emphasis on the fact I'd very much enjoyed working there & would find it a pitty if it'd go by forgotten, without having something to look back on.

if it would've been a shitty recommendation, I figured I wasn't going to use it for future jobs anyway, & if it turned out to be positive, well, then that would just be a bonus. in the end, it turned out very positive & nothing in there said anything negative about me, or named reasons for firing me, because he didn't have the guts & really, there's not a soul in the world that doesn't want to be liked. even by fired employees. after all, for every company it's pretty damn important to leave a good impression so they get recommended aswell.

it doesn't have to be the cranky dude that personally fired you, you could also just ask a collegue to do it. what do you have to lose, right?

edit; whoops, read things the wrong way. no one got fired, so no need for all of that yet.

Omni
09-24-2008, 06:45 AM
Wow, am I the only one who disagrees with what happened? Normally I would say sure, this isn't very professional, but it's not a professional job. It's a job waiting tables for fuck's sake. She says people show up fifteen minutes late on a routune basis without so much as a slap on the wrist and that's what makes this situation the most unfair. She shouldn't have even gotten such a strict warning the first time, because with her phone and car both dead, I see no possible option. The warning she got was too harsh, the punishment just didn't fit the crime. Honestly, the complete lack of empathy just blows my fucking mind. I don't understand how managers of establishments like this forget where they come from, sometimes. I'll suck your dick if he didn't go through something similar at least one time and rant to someone about how ridiculous it was. Oh, and then there's the fact that she's never called in or been seriously late prior to this.

JoY
09-24-2008, 07:03 AM
if her boss tolerates people being late, he's wrong for tolerating it. sure, it's unfair if Brianna has to take the fall, while she isn't the only one who makes mistakes & others don't get punished for it. it'd be very unfair if she isn't treated equally like the rest, but point is, it's better not to give your boss a reason for punishing/firing you at all.

Omni
09-24-2008, 07:08 AM
Well, I agree with the second time. It was just bad planning. What gets me is the fact that her car dying and having no way to reach anyone is a freak occurance that happens to everyone at least once in their life, and there was no other alternative, and the lack of understanding simply floors me. I'm actually a little angry reading about it - "this can't happen again," - well, what the fuck does he want her to do about it? Take her private jet to work every day?

Little_Miss_1565
09-24-2008, 07:10 AM
Joy -- I don't know how it is over there, but here it's illegal to give someone a negative recommendation.

Omni
09-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Maybe it's entirely possible that I'm just being a whiney bitch who's making excuses because I could totally see something like this happening to me one day, and I'd like to think people would rally for my support if I asked it. But I'd also like to think that my point has at least a modicum of validity to it, even if it's not as unfair as I make it out to be. Unfair shit happens all the time.

JoY
09-24-2008, 07:32 AM
1565 - I don't think people can give out negative recommendations here either. still, he could've made it less positive by for instance making it entirely informative about my function, position & tasks, without saying if I'd fulfilled any of those tasks, handled anything well, or was good at certain things. I thought he might blend in some negative things with a twist, to make it seem like an informative/neutral comment, or that he'd possibly name certain qualities he supposedly experienced as a positive side, while at any workplace that isn't exactly desirable. something like; "we thoroughly enjoyed all the times you joked around", but less informal & obvious.

Omni - I'm pretty sure most employers have to deal with a shitload of shitty excuses from their employees & grow a certain paranoia towards excuses in general overtime. while Brianna's is actually true, there are probably plenty that aren't. since Brianna isn't making anything up, chances are that all will be fine, if she explains the situation & flutters her eyelashes a couple of times.

nieh
09-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Joy -- I don't know how it is over there, but here it's illegal to give someone a negative recommendation.

Really? I didn't know that. It seems kind of odd that they wouldn't be allowed to do that, unless it's just a way to prevent them from saying bad things just because you left their company?

Rag Doll
09-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Really? I didn't know that. It seems kind of odd that they wouldn't be allowed to do that, unless it's just a way to prevent them from saying bad things just because you left their company?

Technically, you can't. However, when I left the liquor store, they sure did a good job of it anyway. They would hear it was about me and either hang up or say, "I can't give an accurate recommendation, so I won't give one at all" and then hang up. Which left a lot of people wondering. Though, mind you, this is the same company that still owes me $500+ and my former boss $1500+. And has a habit of doing this "recommendation" bullshit to everyone that quits.

JoY
09-24-2008, 10:01 AM

well, it *is* called a recommendation. what you named is a good reason for not allowing people to give out negative ones. mostly, when you ask for a recommendation when there's nothing good to say, they refuse to give you one, as far as I know.

Sam - wtf? evil. but I assume they didn't write any negative recommendations, when they finally did?

Rag Doll
09-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Sam - wtf? evil. but I assume they didn't write any negative recommendations, when they finally did?

I quit at the end of October 2007 (nearly a year ago). They are still refusing to answer questions about me, even regarding confirming the dates I worked there. And they are badmouthing me within the liquor industry (which is extremely closeknit)......claiming I didn't do any work, did poor work, gave out tons of discounts, didn't show up for work, and a lot of other lies. they did the same thing to two of my former managers and a former basketmaker, causing us all to have a lot of explaining to do or to not even being considered because of "word on the street," as one store put it to a former coworker.

they were assholes.

Little_Miss_1565
09-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Pretty sure that's grounds to sue for libel, Sam.

Rag Doll
09-24-2008, 10:47 AM
it is. my former boss discussed mine and his situation with a lawyer and the guy said we'd probably win. but neither one of us can really afford it and don't really wanna have the "hey, i sued my former employer!" sign over our heads.

Llamas
09-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Do you know how long they've been doing this for? I'd imagine that eventually, the liquor industry would catch on... start to notice that those people never give a good recommendation for anyone who's worked there. Maybe they'll eventually get themselves in trouble. Not that that really helps you, but at least they'd get theirs.

In other news, I work tonight for the first time since the incident... don't know if the GM will be there... crossing my fingers.

JoY
09-25-2008, 06:37 AM
Sam, if you team up with all the former employees, ex-collegues & co-workers, it might be affordable. plus, if you win, the party that lost is obligated to pay for the costs of the lawsuit, no? a group of students did the same to the faculty of medicine, because they were put back at least a year because of rearrangements, just like me. together they formed a strong enough group to win the case & the faculty had to pay for their costs for lawyers & everything.

I understand you don't want to be labeled like someone who sued her former employer, but if they treat you so badly, you've really got reason to do it & you can explain yourself just fine, if someone asks what happened & what's the story behind it. they've got no right to stand in the way of your carreer by spreading bad rumors & lies about you guys. someone's got to stop these assholes.

Briana, you did work go??

Llamas
09-25-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm assuming you meant, "how did work go?" :) And it went fine, actually. The GM wasn't there, but the next highest manager was, and the evening went as per usual. I looked at the schedule, and unless the GM comes in at some random weird time, I won't see him again until Sunday... so I'm really hoping that he'll have calmed down about it by then. Unless he already wrote up a pink slip and is waiting to give me it next time he sees me, I think I might be okay here...

Llamas
09-25-2008, 06:43 PM
When was the last time you didn't have a problem with your goddamn car? Buy a pair of rollerblades already, you idiot.

???? I have no idea what you're talking about... Until this incident, I'd not missed work due to a car problem in 4 1/2 years. On top of that, my main job is quite literally IMPOSSIBLE without a car, as the company only hires people who have a reliable auto. Keep spewing garbage, though.

JohnnyNemesis
09-25-2008, 06:44 PM
The way that came out of absolutely nowhere made me crack up.

Oxygene
09-26-2008, 06:33 AM
Yeah I like Maria

Little_Miss_1565
09-26-2008, 06:43 AM
That was fucking hilarious.

JoY
09-30-2008, 03:59 AM
I'm assuming you meant, "how did work go?" :) And it went fine, actually. The GM wasn't there, but the next highest manager was, and the evening went as per usual. I looked at the schedule, and unless the GM comes in at some random weird time, I won't see him again until Sunday... so I'm really hoping that he'll have calmed down about it by then. Unless he already wrote up a pink slip and is waiting to give me it next time he sees me, I think I might be okay here...

ugh ya, wtf? probably had two optional sentences in mind, or something, & mixed the two together. but that's what I was meaning to say! I guess things are pretty much back to normal? well, good. don't worry too much, I'm sure it'll be fine. & if you, after this incident, have had it with your boss & the organisation, if things really are so bad, you feel like you need to walk on your toes & constantly walk on eggshells, you can still take the initiative to quit.

When was the last time you didn't have a problem with your goddamn car? Buy a pair of rollerblades already, you idiot.

hahahahaha!! girl, you must be thinking of someone else, because I can't remember Brianna ever complained about her car before.

nieh
09-30-2008, 08:57 AM
She must have confused Brianna with me, but I haven't really posted about any car trouble in a while.

Omni
09-30-2008, 10:25 AM
I think I remember she said she got stuck in traffic once before. Maybe she was thinking of that.

Llamas
09-30-2008, 05:36 PM
ugh ya, wtf? probably had two optional sentences in mind, or something, & mixed the two together. but that's what I was meaning to say! I guess things are pretty much back to normal? well, good. don't worry too much, I'm sure it'll be fine. & if you, after this incident, have had it with your boss & the organisation, if things really are so bad, you feel like you need to walk on your toes & constantly walk on eggshells, you can still take the initiative to quit.

hahahahaha!! girl, you must be thinking of someone else, because I can't remember Brianna ever complained about her car before.

haha yeah I'm probably going back to school this spring, in which case I'll quit that job anyway. But everything is normal, and my boss did no more than say "hi" to me on Sunday... I got worked up over nothing :P

I think I remember she said she got stuck in traffic once before. Maybe she was thinking of that.
I did? Getting stuck in traffic isn't really car trouble, though... and I don't think I've ever missed work due to being stuck in traffic ;)

randman21
09-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Something about buses, freeways being closed, dead cell phones.

Llamas
09-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Something about buses, freeways being closed, dead cell phones.

Ah, I found the post... that was more a rant on cell phone dependency than cars/driving, though. Which does remind me how fucking annoying cell phones are- in the first situation here where I had a no call no show, my phone was dead. My phone dies a lot, cause I swear to god you have to charge it every single day in order for it not to die. I barely even use it and keep it on vibrate to use less battery, and it still dies all the fucking time. When I asked T-mobile about it, they said that's perfectly normal- most cell phones these days use more energy than they used to, so they need to be charged every day. Fuck that shit.

dreaded
09-30-2008, 10:00 PM
From what i understood you did your part.,you called people to patch in for you.T'was just unfortunate that nobody that time was available or should i say willing to work on your shift.I had experienced the same scenario a couple months ago.,but before i callled anyone to patch in for me.,i called work first.That makes a whole lot of difference.

istillgotajob (http://www.personalfinancesonline.com)