PDA

View Full Version : Recommended authors or books?

zacsta
09-22-2008, 05:42 AM
I dunno if this is the ideal place to ask this, i don't know how many of you actually read, but does anyone have any authors or books to recommend?
I havn't read a whole lot, some ben elton and chuck palahniuk so i guess i like some satire.
Any suggestions?

wheelchairman
09-22-2008, 05:55 AM
You might like Ken Kesey (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.). The only fiction I've read recently has been in Danish so I can't help you. Personally I want to read Ian Flemming (the guy who wrote the Bond books.) I also really love Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. That's an amazing way to whiddle away the time.

Sunny
09-22-2008, 06:16 AM
if you're looking for something hilarious and easy to read, check out David Sedaris.

The Search Button
09-22-2008, 07:46 AM
Read Homer.

All the other guys after him are a bunch of sellouts and plagiarists.

Rag Doll
09-22-2008, 08:24 AM
if you're looking for something hilarious and easy to read, check out David Sedaris.

Agreed.

I also like *Jesus' Son* by Denis Johnson. Not particularly hilarious, but an easy read and pretty great imagery.

wheelchairman
09-22-2008, 09:05 AM
oh Nick Hornby is pretty good. Very enjoyable. But you get this creepy cozy home feeling if you read it after or before a Chuck Palahniuk book.

T-6005
09-22-2008, 09:14 AM
As always, I second the Wheel of Time. It is a phenomenal series of books.

Otherwise I'd suggest some of Ray Bradbury's books - they're always fun to read. The Martian Chronicles, Fahrenheit 451, Something Wicked this Way Comes - all fantastic books.

If you like some of that darker-toned stuff, you should check out Will Christopher Baer's Phineas Poe trilogy. It's a pain in the ass to find but well worth it.

I also enjoy some of the books by Daniel Quinn, especially Story of B and After Dachau.

jacknife737
09-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Check out anything by Nick Hornby, preferably High Fidelity or Long Way Down.

A few people have recommended me Jennifer Government by Max Barry (a sort of dystopic satire), i've picked up a copy, but have yet to read it.

Andy
09-22-2008, 03:47 PM
If you like your satire, you can't go wrong with a bit of Terry Pratchett or Tom Sharpe.

Lately I've got into David Baldacci. Fun, exciting boy-books.

JohnnyNemesis
09-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Stephen King wrote a book called The Long Walk under his Richard Bachman pseudonym that is just fucking incredible. You can get it for only a few bucks on Amazon.com.

Jakebert
09-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Anyone here read H.P. Lovecraft? I want to, but I dunno where to start.

nieh
09-22-2008, 04:15 PM
I think you can find most of Lovecraft's books for free online, but you'd have to either print them or read them from your computer screen. I've never actually read any myself but Cthulhu fhtagn!

http://www.arkhambazaar.com/images/products/DI001.jpg

Rutegard
09-23-2008, 03:57 AM
the gun seller by hugh laurie

Duskygrin
09-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Aside from dismal economic articles, I'm currently reading a thumping good novel, namely The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins.

Two women bearing an uncanny resemblance to one another, one of them with a mental disorder, a ruffianly husband keen on the horsewhip, an Italian Count who's really a Spy, different narrators make for the first sensation novel ever written (round 1859-60) which is still highly readable... dazzlingly well put together. In short, a must.

coke_a_holic
09-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Jakebert: I've read a bit of Lovecraft. He's utterly terrifying, and just fantastic.

If you can, I got "HP Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales Of Horror And The Macabre," it's a collection of his best stuff. "The Colour Out Of Space," "The Thing On The Doorstep," and "Shadow Over Innsmouth," were my favorites, I think.

Guh, just thinking about them has me shivering.

Also, threadstarter: Kurt Vonnegut. Get Cat's Cradle or Breakfast Of Champions and enjoy.

ninthlayer
09-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Yes. His oral performances are awesome as well. Read something by him first (I'd suggest Naked or Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim)and then check one out. You can find audio performances on YouTube.

Check out anything by Nick Hornby, preferably High Fidelity or Long Way Down.

A few people have recommended me Jennifer Government by Max Barry (a sort of dystopic satire), i've picked up a copy, but have yet to read it.
Solid recommendations. High Fidelity is just awesome and the screen adaptation starring John Cusack is, well, everyone knows I'm a Cusack fanboy.

Also, threadstarter: Kurt Vonnegut. Get Cat's Cradle or Breakfast Of Champions and enjoy.
Dude, I totally go to the same college that Vonnegut taught Creative Writing at while Cat's Cradle was becoming popular. I'd say start with either Cat's Cradle or Slaughterhouse-5. I think my favorite Vonnegut is Slaughterhouse-5 for sure.

Other authors to check out:
Diogenes
Raymond Carver
David Mamet
George Orwell
Ayn Rand (read her shorter pieces or you'll become infuriated)
Sarah Vowell
Tobias Wolff

ps: I've always wanted to check out Lovecraft.

coke_a_holic
09-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Cat's Cradle is probably my favorite, though Slaughterhouse-Five and Slapstick are up there, as well, being the only two books by him that I bought, instead of just getting them out of the library.

Also, people who want to check out Lovecraft, if you can bring yourself to read a short story on the computer (it's still pretty long, but it's my favorite by him): http://www.yankeeclassic.com/miskatonic/library/stacks/literature/lovecraft/novellas/colouro.htm

Sean: What are some good Ayn Rand short stories? A friend is getting really into her, but the thought of reading Atlas Shrugged, or even The Fountainhead makes me want to kill someone. She's a terrifying person.

T-6005
09-25-2008, 01:44 PM
My favorite is almost certainly Cat's Cradle, but I also thought Sirens of Titan was truly fantastic, especially the end.

Oh, wait - Mother Night is my favorite, I think. It totally showcases the absurd awesomeness that Vonnegut's known for.

Oromis
09-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Sean: What are some good Ayn Rand short stories? A friend is getting really into her, but the thought of reading Atlas Shrugged, or even The Fountainhead makes me want to kill someone. She's a terrifying person.

im not Sean, but shorter Ayn Rand stuff would be Anthem or We The Living, both of which are fantastic. Anthem would be the shortest, like 60 or 70ish pages. Im going to check out that link you posted now.

Static_Martyr
09-25-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm a huge fan of Stephen King's Dark Tower series; sure, it's overrated as hell (and long enough to be discouraging to the casual reader), but it's a great series with lots of allegories/allusions/shout-outs. It's especially good if you're already a King fan.

StayInTheHouseCarl
09-25-2008, 03:48 PM
If you like funny, check out Steve Martin's "Pure Drivel".

ninthlayer
09-25-2008, 04:36 PM
im not Sean, but shorter Ayn Rand stuff would be Anthem or We The Living, both of which are fantastic. Anthem would be the shortest, like 60 or 70ish pages. Im going to check out that link you posted now.
Anthem for sure. 96 pages.

Oromis
09-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Anthem for sure. 96 pages.

Eh, I was off by about 20 pages. Still a damn good read.

ninthlayer
09-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Oh, I have zero beef with you being off by some pages. I mean, shout-outs for suggesting it for sure man.

shanna_guarana
09-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Marko Vidojkovic...young Serbian writer...any book....I'm sure you can find most of them in English...and some in Deutch..try them, they're talking about punk life in fucking freaky Belgrade...punk when you're 16...then when you're 20...and even when you're 30...they touch politics in some parts...they talk about society...about how can people be cruel...about how you are cruel...sex...drugs...alcohol...everything in one...believe me when you get into that twister...you'll have to read all the books...
I won't tell you any of the names of the books cause I'm not sure how they are translated...
But try to find any of them...
Most of you will recognize themselves...