PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the Albums

the Mota Boy
09-23-2008, 02:14 AM
I know we all do it; I'm guilty as well. We say we couldn't possibly pick one song or album over another. However, whether we vocalize it or not, our minds are constantly organizing everything into an order of best to worst by some degree. Maybe the ranking changes with mood as one flavor can not stay the most appealing forever, but we do it. I know it can be painful to some but I thought it'd be neat to see how people on the ranked the eight albums of The Offspring. Some might find this easy and be able to give a permanent listing that never changes. If you can't, that's cool. I know I can't, so I'll just list as to how I'm feeling right now. I'll even list my personal favorites from each album.

8. Smash- Sorry to say it, but the greatest selling album from an independent record label just isn't jiving with me right now. I love Smash and would gladly pour a glass of brandy and listen to it anytime... but for some reason it was never really high on my list.
- Self Esteem, Gotta Get Away, Come Out and Play, What Happened to You

7. The Offspring- The Offspring's first album was alway the hardest for me to digest. Before getting into them I never was big into punk, but I got used to hearing it, and from there my tolerance turned into a passion. This album is great, but I feel like it suffers from a lack of any real stand-out soungs. I know Jennifer, Blackball, and I'll be Waiting were supposed to be its heavy hitters, and they're great, but they all seem to just run together.
- Jennifer, Beheaded, I'll be Waiting

6. Ignition- At one time I would have said that this album was about as close to perfect as it could get. I say that because none of the songs are bad and they all seem very befitting of the albums name. "Just burn it up, dammit." If you know what I mean. While none of the songs just beat me over the head with their awsomeness, I have the hardest time with this album in narrowing down my list of favorites. I start with Session and before I know it I have 2/3 of the album listed. I guess that's why I consider it to be so near to perfection.
- Dirty Magic, LAPD, Kick Him When He's Down, Bur- .... I'm stopping. : (

5. Americana- I must admitt, I entered the scene at Pretty Fly for a White Guy, so this album holds relatively high to me even though it's the one I'm most bored with. And I'm just fine with coming on here and saying the Pretty Fly is an awsome song. I don't understand people who call it a sell out song. I've always wondered. If you're not selling out to one thing, aren't you knida buying in to something else? Anyways, even thought Pretty Fly and Get a Job tend to steal the light, the crowning song in this album, I felt, was always The Kids Aren't Alright. In fact I think it's one The Offspring's best songs ever.
- Staring at the Sun, Pretty Fly for a White Guy, Kids Aren't Alright

4. Ixnay on the Hombre- Ok. I had to do some real soul searching just to pick #8 but this... was hard. I always look at Ixnay as one of their albums to beat. I don't know why. Granted I came in at Americana but it was Gone Away that really grabbed me. I was in the car with my parent a few years ago when it came on and I didn't know who it was, but I had to find out. On a hunch I looked up songs under The Offspring and when I found it, that's when I told myself I had to find out more about this band. This is kind of embarassing but somehow I only heard Change the World a few weeks ago and I had a new-found love for this album. I guess that's why it beats out albums that others might see as more deserving.
- Meaning of Life, Mota, Gone Away

3. Splinter- This is going to sound stupid but this album takes me places. I'll be lying in bed with my MP3 player, listening to Race against myself and... I'm just in another place. I can actually get really depressed and I'll have this ominous feeling of helplesness, even though there's nothing really wrong and it actually is a really fun experience for me. Yes, the album has it's shortcoming, but Can't Get My Head Around You makes up for it. It is, hands down, The Offspring's single greatest song.
- Can't Get My Head Around You, Race Against Myself, Da Hui

2. Conspiracy of One- I know. I'm stumped too. This is probably the lightest album of theirs, actually. It only has one or two heavy hitters and they aren't that powerful at all. However, it's the best album to play FPS video games with. It's the best music if you're just walking down the street. I guess that's one of the things I like so much about it. It doesn't come on really strong. I feel more like I'm just out for a good time. It's just the kind of album I can put on and the moment Intro starts, I have a smile. Plus I think it's where The Offspring really started to show some versatility and variation. You got some pop punk, you have some some semi-hardcore stuff, you got something akin to a ballad. Some people don't like it, but I personally find it great when a band shows interest in more than just one sound, and with Conspiracy, I thing The Offspring showed that very nicely.
- Want You Bad, Special Delivery, Vultures

1. Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace- I know that all the old-timers hated me the moment they saw my pick for #8, but I stand firm in saying that this album blew me away. I don't know how it does it but it is truely greater than the sum of its parts. I know maturity seems to be frowned upon in the Punk world, but you have to admitt. The Offspring makes it look good. And I think it's a good mix of old and new. Yes, the sound is more refined, but the overall tone seems to look back to some of their older albums. Sorry to all the punk purists out there, but RFRG takes the crown in my opinion.
- You're Gonna Go Far Kid, Nowhere, Trust in You

Anyways, that's my two cents worth. Feel free to bash me all to hell if you want. How would you guys do it?

Budzy
09-23-2008, 02:37 AM
Smash as least favourite is interesting.
I did a thread like this not too long ago but I'll do it again.
AT THIS CURRENT MOMENT IN TIME:

1: Americana- People get blinded by the songs Pretty Fly and WDYGAJ, saying that ths album is too 'poppy' and the like, I think the album as a lot of meaning to it. I love those 2 songs, and I don't see anything wrong with them, their just a bit of fun. I got into the band through these songs, and I think this was just an important album for the band because it showed that not only ca they release a highly succesful album once, but they can do it again. I love everyong on the album.

2: Smash- There are songs I wouldn't miss too much on this album, like So Alone and Killboy Powerhead. That's why it's not number one.

3/4: Conspiracy Of One and Ixnay on the Hombre- Can't decide, both very solid albums, most days I would be pushing towards Ixnay, but I've been going through a C01 stage atm.

5: Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace- It sounds like I dislike the album putting it at number 5...I really love, really really love it, I just love the other ones more :D. Great album, besides Kristy and Fix You, which ill rate at OKAY, but there are other bands for that Fix You kind of shit, not The offspring.

6: Ignition: Like Mota Boy said, the album is perfect no mistakes, can't see anything wrong with it, it just doesn't jump out at me. And I've been going through an ignition stge aswell at the moment.

7: Splinter: I hate putting this at 7, but like RFRG there's just no where else i can put it...Just not feeling me at the moment.

8: The Offspring: Well it was their first album, and I think it's fair to say you can tell, just a bit too rough at times. I still love it, but it's just not in the league of the others.

CBF writing in my favourite songs out of the albums, this was hard enough.

KHWHD
09-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Most favourite to least favourite, in order. I chose these in this order for songs that I personally like better than others. I'll name a few of my favourites on each album. :)

1. Ignition - Kick Him When He's Down, Dirty Magic, FAAD, We Are One
2. CO1 - Special Delivery, Living In Chaos, Denial, Revisited, Original Prankster
3. RAFRAG - You're Gonna Go Far, Kid, Nothingtown, Rock Bottom, SIFU
4. Splinter - Spare Me The Details, CGMHAY, Hit That, Lightning Rod
5. Smash - Gotta Get Away, It'll Be A Long Time, COAP, Genocide
6. Americana - Staring At The Sun, WDYGAJ?, Have You Ever, Kids Aren't Alright
7. Ixnay On The Hombre - Gone Away, Cool To Hate, Me & My Old Lady, Mota
8. The Offspring - Thousand Days, Out On Patrol, Jennifer Lost The War, Elders

Cock Joke
09-23-2008, 08:30 PM
I can never make up my mind as to which album goes where in terms of ranks. But here goes, from best to least.

Ixnay on the Hombre: I personally think that The Offspring first started to know what direction they were going in when they did this album! It is the first major label album, but it stays true to The Offspring and it put a brand new spin on things! Good song variety, nice & punk as well as some hard rock type stuff going on. This is the ultimate Offspring album!
Ignition: This is the true essence of The Offspring right here. IMO, these guys are not to be thought of as a big label band, rather as an underground, indie-punk band with fast guitars, fast melodies, some anti-authority shit like LAPD and some crazy pyro shit like Burn it Up!!! Offspring at its finest, right here!
Smash: The album that got them started. Containing the legendary Self-Esteem and Come out & Play, this is another true essence of The Offspring! Ignition type stuff but with way more variety. Best of all, it has Bad Habit!
Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace: After an incredibly humungous Offspring drought, RAFRAG comes along and exceeds the expectations of most! It goes in a completely, brand new direction since Americana, has badass songs such as Hammerhead and Stuff Is Messed Up, and due to the overall seriousness, heaviness, & badassness of the album, people say it goes back to their roots!
Americana: This is when they started to appeal to the teenybopper MTV crowd, putting out Pretty Fly as their 1st single of the album, but then later releasing The Kids Aren't Alright which stays true to The Offspring. I believe this is their highest selling album yet, but I'm not sure. I love how it starts off with Have You Ever & Staring at the Sun, then ends with the huge epic, Pay the Man. I love this album for two reasons. The social commentary and the overall craziness/silliness that it gives ya.
Self-Titled: I like to think of this as a Manic Subsidal album. A lot of these songs were written by them when they were called by that name. Beheaded is my favorite song of all-time, next to Bad Habit & Staring at the Sun I guess. Kill the Prez is another winner, why they took that off and didn't add Hopeless, I have no clue.
Conspiracy of One: I wanna say that this is Americana with Ixnay and a hint of Ignition. This album has some heavy punk in it, more so than Americana, but still has the poppy stuff in it.
Splinter: As much as I hate to say it, this is The Offspring's weakest album yet. Too short, looked like they were trying to cram Americana in with S/T and Ignition and it just didn't work. Gotta love Hit That and Lightning Rod. And if you have a sense of humor, The Worst Hangover Ever and Spare Me the Details. Thank God The Noose & Long Way Home stay true to the essence of The Offspring!

YOWCH! I think I got Carpel tunnel now!!!

the Mota Boy
09-23-2008, 08:57 PM
This is good. I always find stuff like this interesting. Keep it up.

I am kinda suprised, though. I figured smash would be heavily favored as #1.

Cock Joke
09-23-2008, 08:57 PM
you have god taste. very god taste.
you are legend.

Hahaaaa Righteous!

KHWHD
09-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Hahaaaa Righteous!

I can see someone getting a new sig. :p

Cock Joke
09-23-2008, 08:59 PM
I can see someone getting a new sig. :p

Hmmm...not a bad ideer.

JeromeFleur
09-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Edit : woops, forgot Splinter :P

1. Smash
I think Smash is their most powerful album, because it has a lot of great hooks, but mostly because it has this really organic sound. It is so good, and yet it sounds so natural, so spontaneous. It wasn't meant to be a good album... it just was ! To me, it is the sound of the 90s at its pure expression. And that's why it's a classic. It has so many amazing songs... and so much energy, pure youth energy as punk was meant to be. And I think What happened to you is the only good ska song that they managed to do.

Standouts : Bad Habit, Self esteem, Come out and Play, Gotta Get Away, Something to believe in, It'll be a long time, What happened to you, Smash...

2. Americana
To me, it is kind of a Smash 2, even though it has its own originality. Again, really organic, it has its own particular sound, really powerfull. The only thing that makes it less good than Smash for me is that it was made for a teeny MTV public, as someone already said. The band already had a little pression to make a good album commercialy, and I always get the feeling that it's a little palpable. Still, a lot of good songs!

Standouts : Have you ever, Staring at the sun, Pretty fly, Kids aren't allright, End of the line, Pay the man

3. Rise and fall, rage and grace
The most clever Offspring album. The best lyrics. A shitload of good hooks, they are so many catchy parts, you don't know which one to prefer. But the end of the album is still a bit desappointing, and the ballads aren't as good as they could have been, even if they have really good, original lyrics and feelings. Yet, it felt less spontaneous than the two others.

Standouts : Half-truism, You're gonna go far kid, Hammerhead, A lot like me, Shit is fucked up

4. Splinter
Real good album. A lot of great songs, great energy, great atmosphere, really catchy. But it's too short!

Standouts : Neocon, The Noose, Head around you, Spare me the details,

5. Ixnay on the Hombre
Great album, really diversified, but I don't know... With time, I began to grow tired of it. And I don't like the drums on it (i'm a drummer), i find it too simple. In general, it lacks of good rythms. And its less angry, too much funny.

Standouts : Gone away, I choose, All I want, Amazed

6. Ignition
Like Smash, really organic, a great 90s sound, but I don't know why so many "old fans" dig this album so much. Smash without the hooks. Still, really great atmosphere, but it's not an album that I could listen to again and again anymore. Maybe because I'm too old, but god, I'm only 22 !

Standouts : Dirty magic, No Hero

7. Conspiracy of One

Good album. But not that good. Some great songs, but it always give me the impression that they wanted to make Americana again and failed to be really creative. The standouts aren't as great as the other albums, and some fillers...

Standouts : Original Pranksters (so many good hooks), Living in Chaos, Vulture

8. The Offspring

I liked it when I was young and really into punk, but I don't know. It has been a really long time since I've listened to it. Some good songs... But the lyrics are a bit naive. Real good atmosphere.

Standouts : Beheaded, Tehran

iPunk247
09-24-2008, 01:08 AM
might aswell do a thesis for each individual album and you'll be grated an A+ .

MAXTER
09-24-2008, 04:57 AM
1 - RISE & FALL, RAGE & GRACE (All Song Are Awesome) - Perfect Album!
2 - CONSPIRACY OF ONE (Original Prankster, Want You Bad, Dammit I Changed Again, Million Miles Away, One Fine Day, Denial Revisited)
3 - SMASH (Bad Habit, Gotta Get Away, Genocide, Come Out And Play, Self Esteem, What Happened To You?)
4 - AMERICANA (Have You Ever, Pretty Fly, The Kids Aren't Alright, Why Don't You Get A Job?, Pay The Man)
5 - IXNAY ON THE HOMBRE (The Meaning Of Life, Leave It Behind, Gone Away, All I Want, Amazed)
6 - IGNITION (Session, Kick Him When He's Down, Dirty Magic, LAPD)
7 - SPLINTER (The Noose, Race Against Myself, Head Around You, The Worst Hangover Ever)
8 - S/T (Jennifer Lost The War, Crossroads, Kill The President)

Sofinch
09-24-2008, 06:25 AM
I made a top 3:p because ranking all the albums was too hard for me :D
1. Splinter [Da hui, The Noose]
2. Rise and fall, Rage and grace [Kristy are you doing okay?, Nothingtown]
3. Conspiracy of one [walla walla, Americana]

holland25
09-24-2008, 08:01 AM
1. Ignition - Session, We are One, Kick Him When He's Down, Dirty Magic, No Hero, L.A.P.D., Nothing from Something and Forever and a Day
2. The Offspring - Jennifer Lost the War, Out on Patrol, Crossroads, Beheaded, Tehran, A Thousand Days and Blackball
3. RAFRAG - Half-Truism, Trust in You, YGGFK, Hammerhead, Takes Me Nowhere, Kristy, Nothingtown, Fix You and Rise and Fall
4. Smash - Nitro, Bad Habit, Gotta Get Away, Genocide, Self Esteem, Killboy Powerhead, So Alone, Not the One and Smash
5. Splinter - The Noose, Long Way Home, Race Against Myself, Never Gonna Find Me, Lightning Rod and Da Hui
6. Ixnay - Mota, Cool to Hate, Gone Away, I Choose, All I Want and Way Down the Line
7. Conspiracy of One - Come Out Swinging, Want You Bad, Million Miles Away, Dammit, I Changed Again, One Fine Day, Denial, Revisited, Conspiracy of One and Huck It
8. Americana - Staring at the Sun, TKAA, She's Got Issues, Walla Walla, Americana and Pay the Man

TRoffspring
09-24-2008, 09:08 AM
1.RAFRAG-You're Gonna Go Far Kid, Hammerhead, Kristy Are You Doin' Okay?,Trust In You, Half Trusim, Stuff Is Messed Up,A Lot Like Me, Fix You, Rise And Fall
2.Splinter-Long Way Home, Da Hui,Hit That, SMTD, Race Against Myself
3. Ignition-Kick Him When He's Down, Dirty Magic, L.A.P.D, We Are One, Forever And A Day
4. Smash-So Alone, Self Esteem, Come Out And Play,KillBoy Powerhead, Nitro,Smash
5.Americana-The Kids Aren't Alright,Why Don't You Get A Job? Feelings, Pretty Fly,Walla Walla, She's Got Issues
6. Conspriacy Of One-Want You Bad, Come Out Swinging,One Fine Day, Dammit I Changed Again,Original Prankster
7. Ixnay On The Hombre-All I Want, Gone Away, Cool To Hate
8.S/T-Beheaded, Kill The President, Jennifer Lost The War

Llamas
09-24-2008, 10:25 AM
This will be interesting. I don't consider myself a huge Offspring fan anymore, though I did geek out over RF,RG. I barely listen to them anymore... but I still love them. Let's see...

#8 Splinter I like all their albums, but as said here many times, this one doesn't have enough to it. It has some fantastic songs, but then there's Spare Me, Da Hui, Prison, and Hangover... and even Race. I almost never put in this album, because I always skip track 7 and turn it off after track 9, leaving me with a very short record. Worst of all, it's the only Offspring record that doesn't have a very strong ending (Offspring: I'll Be Waiting -> Kill the President. Ignition: Nothing from Something -> Forever and a Day. Smash: not the strongest ending, but tolerable. Ixnay: Amazed -> Change the World. Americana: Americana -> Pay the Man. Conspiracy: Vultures -> Conspiracy of One... and even Huck It for some people. RFRG: not the strongest ending, but tolerable.) Favorite songs are Lightning Rod, The Noose, Neocon, Head Around You.

#7 Conspiracy of One This album is better than Splinter because it doesn't have any 100% pure SHIT on it (though Want You Bad and One Fine Day are pretty close)... but it's brought down because it's pretty bland. Nothing stands out as being awful, or amazing (Huck It is amazing, but it's not on my copy). It's generic and boring for the most part (as far as Offspring goes). Best songs are Denial Revisited, Million Miles Away, and Living in Chaos.

#6 Smash This is ranked pretty low, like the thread maker did. I just never got into the heaviness of the album, especially when they tried to be really hard (Killboy Powerhead, So Alone). The singles from this album have gotten kinda old/overdone, and I've just always kinda overlooked it. However, it does have some great songs and a good sound. Best songs: Something to Believe in, Genocide, Nitro.

#5 The Offspring This album used to rank much higher for me, because it has very good lyrics. I think I just grew out of the tone/sound of it. However, one of my all time favorite Offspring songs is on this album (I'll Be Waiting), and it's overall a very solid album. My favorites: I'll Be Waiting, Tehran, Blackball.

#4 Americana This album will always rank higher for me, as I also came in with Pretty Fly. It'll always hold a place in my heart, and I'll always defend it. It's poppier, but good. The concept of this album is very interesting, and there aren't any songs on it that I hate (the worst are Feelings and She's Got Issues). Best songs... Have You Ever, TKAA, The End of the Line, Americana, Pay the Man.

#3 Ignition Ignition has got to be the band's most solid album to date. There is not one weak song here, and it's well balanced, hard hitting, and smart. Best songs are Nothing from Something, Forever and a Day, Dirty Magic, Kick Him When He's Down...

#2 Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace After 3 months, this album still rocks. It's their most diverse, and successfully so. I like every song on the album, and love their attempts at something new. It has its weaker moments (like Kristy and Nothingtown), but the strengths totally make up for that. Favorite songs are You're Gonna Go Far Kid, Half Truism, A Lot Like Me.

#1 Ixnay on the Hombre The second Offspring record I ever got, and always my favorite. It's solid all the way through. A couple tracks I don't adore, but it's just got some amazing stuff. When I'd get really bored at my job when I was in high school, I'd find myself singing this album beginning to end in my head (I couldn't do that anymore, haha). Favorites: Amazed, Change the World, Meaning of Life, Gone Away.

Well that was interesting. It's changed a bit since the last time I put their albums in order.

the Mota Boy
09-24-2008, 09:51 PM
This will be interesting. I don't consider myself a huge Offspring fan anymore, though I did geek out over RF,RG. I barely listen to them anymore... but I still love them. Let's see...

#8 Splinter I like all their albums, but as said here many times, this one doesn't have enough to it. It has some fantastic songs, but then there's Spare Me, Da Hui, Prison, and Hangover... and even Race. I almost never put in this album, because I always skip track 7 and turn it off after track 9, leaving me with a very short record. Worst of all, it's the only Offspring record that doesn't have a very strong ending (Offspring: I'll Be Waiting -> Kill the President. Ignition: Nothing from Something -> Forever and a Day. Smash: not the strongest ending, but tolerable. Ixnay: Amazed -> Change the World. Americana: Americana -> Pay the Man. Conspiracy: Vultures -> Conspiracy of One... and even Huck It for some people. RFRG: not the strongest ending, but tolerable.) Favorite songs are Lightning Rod, The Noose, Neocon, Head Around You.

#7 Conspiracy of One This album is better than Splinter because it doesn't have any 100% pure SHIT on it (though Want You Bad and One Fine Day are pretty close)... but it's brought down because it's pretty bland. Nothing stands out as being awful, or amazing (Huck It is amazing, but it's not on my copy). It's generic and boring for the most part (as far as Offspring goes). Best songs are Denial Revisited, Million Miles Away, and Living in Chaos.

#6 Smash This is ranked pretty low, like the thread maker did. I just never got into the heaviness of the album, especially when they tried to be really hard (Killboy Powerhead, So Alone). The singles from this album have gotten kinda old/overdone, and I've just always kinda overlooked it. However, it does have some great songs and a good sound. Best songs: Something to Believe in, Genocide, Nitro.

#5 The Offspring This album used to rank much higher for me, because it has very good lyrics. I think I just grew out of the tone/sound of it. However, one of my all time favorite Offspring songs is on this album (I'll Be Waiting), and it's overall a very solid album. My favorites: I'll Be Waiting, Tehran, Blackball.

#4 Americana This album will always rank higher for me, as I also came in with Pretty Fly. It'll always hold a place in my heart, and I'll always defend it. It's poppier, but good. The concept of this album is very interesting, and there aren't any songs on it that I hate (the worst are Feelings and She's Got Issues). Best songs... Have You Ever, TKAA, The End of the Line, Americana, Pay the Man.

#3 Ignition Ignition has got to be the band's most solid album to date. There is not one weak song here, and it's well balanced, hard hitting, and smart. Best songs are Nothing from Something, Forever and a Day, Dirty Magic, Kick Him When He's Down...

#2 Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace After 3 months, this album still rocks. It's their most diverse, and successfully so. I like every song on the album, and love their attempts at something new. It has its weaker moments (like Kristy and Nothingtown), but the strengths totally make up for that. Favorite songs are You're Gonna Go Far Kid, Half Truism, A Lot Like Me.

#1 Ixnay on the Hombre The second Offspring record I ever got, and always my favorite. It's solid all the way through. A couple tracks I don't adore, but it's just got some amazing stuff. When I'd get really bored at my job when I was in high school, I'd find myself singing this album beginning to end in my head (I couldn't do that anymore, haha). Favorites: Amazed, Change the World, Meaning of Life, Gone Away.

Well that was interesting. It's changed a bit since the last time I put their albums in order.

I agree. Forget the issues with length. Splinter would have been so much better if they'd just cut out "The Worst Song Ever." They had a sweet tone going and the ballroom scene just killed it. I can live with the Prison song because The Offspring's known for throwing in stupid stuff, and nobody can even count it as an actual song to be scored. It would have been better if they'd kept it shorter; helps make that distinction. Actually I think it would have been great as an add-on to the end of Da Hui. Just close with Da Hui, wait maybe 30 seconds and then start of the old phonagraph. Like in Americana's Pay the Man.

Also I thought the arrangement could have been better. I know Never Gonna Find Me and Lightning Rod are meant to be played one after the other so I wish Race would have been played right before or after them. I really wish Noose could be grouped around those three songs because they all sorta feed on eachother in my opinion. But Noose had to be first; it simply had the best intro.

If Splinter had been as follows:

-Neocon
-Noose
-Long Way Home
-Never Gonna Find Me
-Lightning Rod
-Race Against Myself
-Can't Get My Head Around You
-Hit That
-Spare Me the Details
-Da Hui
(Shorter version of Prison song preceding 30 second pause after Da Hui)

If it had been that it probably would have gotten #2 for me

Ryder1234
09-24-2008, 10:58 PM
I actually like Hangover. It's one of my favorites as a matter of fact.

Rutegard
09-25-2008, 02:50 AM
I actually like Hangover. It's one of my favorites as a matter of fact.

i liek that one too

very funny

and i like funny stuff, don't you?

the_real_potomek
09-25-2008, 04:37 AM
i liek that one too

very funny

and i like funny stuff, don't you?

I do, definately! especially when someone has such a great sense of humor as Dexter and Noodles :D

Rutegard
09-25-2008, 04:47 AM
I do, definately! especially when someone has such a great sense of humor as Dexter and Noodles :D

oh yeah :D i wish they were my kids so i could laugh all day long :D

the Mota Boy
09-25-2008, 05:41 AM
I like funny stuff too, and I'm usually not very critical about stuff like that. I wish I could agree with you because at it's core, the song is funny. But there's just something about that's obnoxious as hell. I just sorta sit there bobbin' my head to the music goin, "This is sorta humerous... but really it just sounds bad." But like I said earlier, mostly it just kills the tone the the first half of the album had going for it.

Rutegard
09-25-2008, 05:51 AM
I like funny stuff too, and I'm usually not very critical about stuff like that. I wish I could agree with you because at it's core, the song is funny. But there's just something about that's obnoxious as hell. I just sorta sit there bobbin' my head to the music goin, "This is sorta humerous... but really it just sounds bad." But like I said earlier, mostly it just kills the tone the the first half of the album had going for it.

yeah i get your point...i just don't share it lol

jacknife737
09-25-2008, 04:06 PM
I ways going to skip this thread, since I’ve already done this so many times on the BBS, but I’ve realized that my “rankings” have changed in the past couple months. Also, I feel as if enough time has passed, since RAFRAG’s release that I can place it amongst the other albums.

Ignition
Quintessentially the perfect punk rock album. It’s loud, gritty, fast, aggressive and raw. With song topics covering relationships to social commentary, it has some of the band’s best lyrical efforts (ie Dirty Magic, Forever and a Day). It is also the first album that the band really started to take on it’s own sound. The album is also my favorite album, ever.

Americana
The album which introduced me to not only the band, but punk rock in general. There was something extremely profound about hearing Dexter scream “The truth about the world is that crime does pay”, when all my previous musical encounters had been nothing but generic pop/alt rock of the late 90s. It still holds up as well today as as it did when I first heard it in 1998. It get’s a lot of shit thrown at it (figuratively speaking of course) due to accusations of it having “novelty singles”, but Pretty Fly, given the context of when it was written is a brilliant social commentary on 90s youth culture, and it’s still a catchy song to boot.

Ixnay on the Hombre
Lyrically my favorite Offspring album. The songs here seem to hold deeper meaning,
specifically I Choose, comes to mind, with such memorable lines as “This is life / What a fucked up thing we do / What a nightmare come true / Or a playground if we choose / And I choose”. I also love the biting sarcasm that seems to infect the album, starting off with the distinctive voice of Biafra, a great record to listen to when you’re a teenager. It also ends with the apathy fuelled anti-anthem Change the World, one of my favorite offspring songs.

Rise and Fall Rage and Grace
The band’s newest release and a pleasant surprise given the previous effort. Songs like Trust in You, and Hammerhead are like a blast from the past, offering the listener the most aggressive material from the band since Ignition. Also, it has such incredibly catchy songs, such as Half-Truism and You’re Gonna Go Far, Kid, which have choruses that seem to infect me.

Smash
This may seem like a low ranking for the band’s breakthrough cd. And yes, I may be taking a somewhat “revisionist” approach to this album, but it simply is not as good as the albums ahead of it in my list. However, it is an amazing album, Self-Esteem, Come Out and Play, and What Happened to You are all classic tracks, and this album should not be ignored. The position of Smash on my list, should be an indication of how much I love their other records, not how much I dislike this one.

Conspiracy of One
An album where I’ve had mixed feelings. When it was first released, I used to loath it, now I happly enjoy it again. It has its share of bad tracks (Original Prankster is one of the few Offspring tracks that I actively dislike), but also has a fair number of catchy numbers, Come Out Swinging, Million Miles Away and Special Delivery immediately come to mind.

Self Titled
There is nothing inherently disappointing about this album, and Jennifer Lost the War and Out on Patrol are some of my favorite tracks, the album just seems to come across as a “generic” (I hate using this word here) punk album. Great songs, but nothing unique about them. This album was created before the Offspring crafted their own “sound”, in my opinion.

Splinter.
Some moments of bliss (Lightning Rod, Head Around You), do not make up for the fact that this album has zero flow to it. As well, Worst Hangover Ever is another one of the bands songs that I truly dislike. However, I feel as if the band cut out the weaker tracks, and released the “Splinter EP”, it would have gone down as one of the band’s strongest efforts to date.

the Mota Boy
09-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for not skipping I like reading this kinda stuff.

I'm sorta puzzled though. Where are all the old school Americana haters? I figured there'd be a big discussion over that but, but for the most part... we all seem to agree. Kind of a dissappointment

Ninty Man
09-25-2008, 11:09 PM
MMM

8-. Splinter: Ok, it has awesome songs (Neocon/The Noose, Long way home, Lightning rod, Never Gonna Find me, Can't get my head, Spare me the details) but men, Hit that is bad musically, and THE REST IS SHORT AND LAME AS FUCK! I prefer just to pretend that Da Hui never existed

7-. Smash: The singles are still awesome, yes it has awesome songs, and yes, I really like many of the songs... but is not THAAAT good you know? It has lame songs like Something to believe in, It'll be a long time, SO ALONE AS THE WORST OFFSPRING SONG EVER, and Not the one as a bad filler. Yes the rest of the album is pretty good-awesome in some points, but not for be in a higher position

6-. Self Titled: Is pretty dark, and for a first album, for my taste is pretty solid and has AWESOME songs, but it has bad fillers and some things don't fit... but Beheaded, I'll be waiting, Out on patrol, Tehran... do the work

5-. Americana: I think that this is one of the strongest Offspring albums ever... but it has she's got issues and now I kinda dislike Pretty Fly. I can hear it completely, and this was the second best album in some point, but...MMM it has become not that awesome anymore, and in fact, I think that Conspiracy is better

4-. RAFRAG: The most recent Offspring album. Four first songs are awesome beyond any divinity. A lot like me is a bad song in my opinion, and then next songs goes to awesome and good... but not THAT awesome like the first four songs. Is an awesome album, I love it, but it never could be the first place

3-. Conspiracy of one: Yes... it has original prankster and want you bad. But I LOVE IT. For me is pretty solid and goes through with an smooth that I really like. Sorry for using so much I XD. The only problem I see is overproduction, but meh, It deserves a better threat.

2-. Ignition: One of the most impressive punk resurrection albums EVER!. I don't know why it isn't compared to Generator or Unknown Road, but is just WOW.

1-. Ixnay on the hombre: Just perfect, and I think that this is THE punk rock album of the post 1994 era of punk (along with new america, full circle, the art of drowning, etc.)

-L-
10-02-2008, 04:44 AM
1. Ixnay on the Hombre: my favourite album, I love all the songs of it.
(The meaning of life, All I want, I choose, Me & my old lady, Amazed)
2. Conspiracy of one: has awesome songs, mostly on the A side.
(Million miles away, Come out swinging, Special delivery, Want you bad)
3. RAFRAG and Americana: I like RAFRAG as much as Americana, they are very impressive for me.
(Feelings, Have you ever, Americana, Pay the man - A lot like me, Trust in you, Stuff is messed up, YGGFK)
4. Splinter, Smash and Ignition: love these too, but the most liked songs are on the previous albums.
(The noose, CGMHAY, Spare me the details - Gotta get away, Smash, Bad habit - Session, Dirty magic, No hero)
5. Self titled: like it, but I listen to this the most rarely. It needs a special mood.
(Out on patrol, A thousand days)