PDA

View Full Version : The “Revisionist” approach to albums.

jacknife737
09-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Nirvana vs Pearl Jam… just kidding.

Ok, so in my history courses, the topic off “revisionist history” often comes up. Where one challenges a traditionally held belief. I thought it could be an interesting way to approach albums. So what albums do you enjoy (or hate) by an artist/ band that are traditionally viewed as their best (or worst) work.

Green Day: - Warning.

-Dookie and now most recently American Idiot are usually the most quoted albums when discussion the band’s best work. Both album are indeed great examples of pop-punk, however compared to Warning, I believe they pale in comparison. Warning takes pop/folk/ and punk and blends it together to make what I would describe as musical ecstasy. Songs like Warning and Church on Sunday may be disliked by “tru punx”, but to me they are pop-gems.

Mighty Mighty Bosstones – Pay Attention

Their 1997 platinum record Let’s Face It is often claimed to be the bands best effort, I obviously disagree. Now, Let’s Face It is brilliant; it is arguably one of the best ska records of the 90s, but compared to the variety, and challenging sound of Pay Attention, it simply cannot be stronger album. I used to be somewhat undecided about Pay Attention when I first gave it a listen, but after a couple years I had a bit of an epiphany. The hardcore sounding Let Me Be, to the pop song She Just Happened and finally the folksy Afternoon on Broadstreet give this album such a unique feel.

Speaking of trupunx….. Against Me!- Searching For A Former Clarity

Being a fairly new band, Against Me! have yet to establish a single album that is known as their best work. In the mainstream, their 2007 release New Wave is often seen as their breakthrough effort, whilst trupunx will often site the gritty sounding Reinventing Axel Rose as the bands best work. I disagree with both accounts. SFAFC is one of the strongest albums I’ve ever heard, it’s got hard hitting punk stuff, such as From Her Lips to God’s Ears to the incredibly solemn and apathetic title track. As well, this album has more “flow” then any other release' to listen to a single song without the others just seems so awkward.

Ninty Man
09-25-2008, 09:34 PM
The revisionism in history could be dangerous like the motherfuckers who says that the Holocaust never happened.

MMM... in albums:

Bad Religion- New America.

Yes, this is not Suffer and No control, but that's a good point in my opinion. It has the most personal lyrics, the greatest music creativity, and some of the best songs of Bad Religion EVER!!!. Is such a shame that Greg can't reach that notes these days, and that Bobby have to retire after this punk as fuck masterpiece- don't tell me that this is isn't punk-

XYlophonetreeZ
09-25-2008, 11:38 PM
I guess thinking Ixnay is way way better than either Smash or Americana isn't exactly revisionist since at least half the people here seem to agree. Hmmm. I guess besides that I can't think of too much.

bighead384
09-26-2008, 12:24 AM
Yes, this is not Suffer and No control, but that's a good point in my opinion. It has the most personal lyrics, the greatest music creativity, and some of the best songs of Bad Religion EVER!!!. Is such a shame that Greg can't reach that notes these days, and that Bobby have to retire after this punk as fuck masterpiece- don't tell me that this is isn't punk-

That interesting that you should say it's the most creative. I listened to most of New Maps Of Hell, and I must say I wasn't that impressed. I mean, they songs I heard are all pretty good as usual, but BR isn't really a band that I would consider one of the more creative punk bands out there. I think it would be awesome if BR made a really technical and creative album instead of just doing the same shit over and over again.

jacknife737
09-26-2008, 01:57 AM
The revisionism in history could be dangerous like the motherfuckers who says that the Holocaust never happened.

Haha, don't worry, i was thinking more along the lines of Niall Ferguson ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niall_Ferguson) rather then
David Irving ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Irving#Churchill).

Alex101
09-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Here's an album I would consider a "revisionist":

Metallica - Load

After five years of silence, Metallica returns with Load, a rather weak album compared to their classic releases, including Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and their 1991 multi-platinum self-titled "black album". I despised this album when I heard it the first time a couple years ago, because of the band taking a different musical direction, and it took years to understand the greatness of this album. All songs from track 1 to 6 remain my favorite songs on this one.

jacknife737
09-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Metallica - Load

After five years of silence, Metallica returns with Load, a rather weak album compared to their classic releases, including Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and their 1991 multi-platinum self-titled "black album". I despised this album when I heard it the first time a couple years ago, because of the band taking a different musical direction, and it took years to understand the greatness of this album.

I feel the same way. One of their best efforts in my opinion.

Alex101
09-26-2008, 03:06 PM
I feel the same way. One of their best efforts in my opinion.

I actually like Load, but I only like listening to only the first six songs, the rest of them just aren't all that great, except for "Poor Twisted Me", "Wasting My Hate" and "Mama Said", which are other songs off Load I also like.

Ninty Man
09-26-2008, 06:38 PM
That interesting that you should say it's the most creative. I listened to most of New Maps Of Hell, and I must say I wasn't that impressed. I mean, they songs I heard are all pretty good as usual, but BR isn't really a band that I would consider one of the more creative punk bands out there. I think it would be awesome if BR made a really technical and creative album instead of just doing the same shit over and over again.

Eh...well, yes they are not that creative. I REALLY love New Maps of hell, is awesome in my opinion... but not as awesome as new america

JohnnyNemesis
09-27-2008, 04:26 PM
The New America is so awful that I haven't listened to a Bad Religion album since that one came out :(

Ninty Man
09-27-2008, 07:30 PM
The New America is so awful that I haven't listened to a Bad Religion album since that one came out :(

Meh, for me is awful recipe for hate, and so so suffer.

jacknife737
09-27-2008, 08:14 PM

You're missing out, Empire Strikes First, is in my opinion their best album.

Alex101
09-27-2008, 08:50 PM
You're missing out, Empire Strikes First, is in my opinion their best album.

I agree. The Empire Strikes First is one of Bad Religion's best albums by far, along with Suffer, No Control, Stranger Than Fiction and The Process of Belief.

Ninty Man
09-27-2008, 11:24 PM
Don't want to sound like a douche bag but... WHAT IS THAT SPECIAL ABOUT SUFFER??? I know is historically important, and I love suffer song... but... well, I think is a matter of opinions I guess.

Iron Maiden:
Fear of the Dark-. Considered the second worst Dickinson era album in Maiden, I think is one of their best! Well, it has apparition and weekend warrior- which I like- as the bad songs, but the rest of the album is almost as awesome as Number of the beast and- FORGIVE ME EDDIE- Seventh son of a seventh son

Jakebert
09-28-2008, 08:24 AM
WE ARE THE NEW AMERICA, WHOA-OH, WHOA-OOOOH.

Good idea for a thread. This has been a really fun read.

Agreed 100% on Warning. It's the only Green Day album I still like.

Sonic Youth- Washing Machine.

I wouldn't say it's their best album, but it gets a lot of shit that it doesn't deserve. It's uneven in a few places, but the stuff that works is absolutely brilliant, and "The Diamond Sea" is easily a top 5 best Sonic Youth song ever.

R.E.M.- Fables of the Reconstruction.

So many R.E.M. fans consider this the worst album of their indie days, but I don't get it. Yeah, the mood is difficult to swallow at times, and "Can't Get There From Here" is awful, but the rest of the album is so rich with brilliant lyrics, soundscapes, and songs that I consider to be among R.E.M.'s best that I do not understand why it gets shit. But it does lead me to...

R.E.M.- UP.

So many people hate this album, but I'd honestly say it's one of the band's 5masterpieces (the other four being Murmur, Life's Rich Pagaent, Automatic For The People, and New Adventures in Hi-Fi). I'll bet if a brand new band no one had ever heard of before released this exact album, critics would have hailed it as a classic, but because it was R.E.M.'s first album without Bill Bery and it was such a dramatic departure from anything they had ever done before, I think people were ready to pounce on it before it even was released.

The album has so many classic songs on it..."Lotus", "Suspicion", "Hope", "Sad Professor", and of course "Walk Unafraid". Plus the opening track is the ballsiest opening track I've ever heard.

Autonomist
09-28-2008, 08:37 AM
As far as Bad Religion go No Control is a masterpiece, The Gray Race is criminally underrated, Generator and Recipe for Hate are criminally overrated, everything bad ever said about No Substance and The New America is warranted and the last three albums they put out are definitely worth a listen. Hear that last sentence please Ricky.

Ninty Man
09-28-2008, 06:01 PM
As far as Bad Religion go No Control is a masterpiece, The Gray Race is criminally underrated, Generator and Recipe for Hate are criminally overrated, everything bad ever said about No Substance and The New America is warranted and the last three albums they put out are definitely worth a listen. Hear that last sentence please Ricky.

My name is Ricardo :O

I love generator :(

bighead384
09-28-2008, 11:20 PM

I personally don't understand this because I can't relate to it at all. I've gotten bored of a lot of bands/albums to the point where I barely ever listen to them, but if I enjoyed it at one point, I can still go back and revisit it at least once in a blue moon and see why I once found it to be awesome. I can't see boredom or even changing musical taste diminish my enjoyment to the point where I could say I no longer like the songs at all.

It could be that I somehow I don't get bored as fast though...

IamSam
09-29-2008, 02:36 PM

I agree as well. Only part of Nimrod really keeps me interested but I'm a fan of Warning.

I also find that Breaking Benjamin's Saturate is much better than Phobia.

Superdope
09-29-2008, 02:49 PM
I also find that Breaking Benjamin's Saturate is much better than Phobia.

I wholeheartedly concur. I somehow can't stand to listen to Phobia, but Saturate tends to keep me entertained.

I didn't know Phobia was seen as their best.. I thought it was We are Not Alone. Saturate beats them both, though, so...

IamSam
09-29-2008, 03:25 PM
I wholeheartedly concur. I somehow can't stand to listen to Phobia, but Saturate tends to keep me entertained.

I didn't know Phobia was seen as their best.. I thought it was We are Not Alone. Saturate beats them both, though, so...

Phobia has been a huge success...at least from where I'm from. I like Phobia but it's more or less a 'meh' album. Saturate is one of my faves.