PDA

View Full Version : Laundromats

sKratch
09-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Holy fuck laundromats are some of the most depressing places I ever go to on a regular basis... I rent an apartment where we have coin op laundry in the basement that doesn't really work, so we have to go to the nearby laundromat when it's laundry time. Without fail, there are always fat inbred white trash moms yelling at their little kids who are still cute. I always feel somewhere around the "I'm in Walmart, oh God" sort of thing, but I have no choice really.

Also, I always have girl underwears because me and my girlfriend just do our laundry in one load.

Sunny
09-27-2008, 04:00 PM
i fucking haaaate laundromats, dude. the creepiest one i've ever experienced was in Park Slope. the owner was a crazy - i mean, batshit insane - old lady who walked around mumbling incomprehensible things. the clientele was a mix of lecherous old men, creepy loud young men, and Park Slope mommies with dead eyes and screaming babies.

soo awkward/painful. f that s.

is there a drop off service in your area? that's what i did when i moved back to manhattan. it was pretty cheap, to my surprise.

one thing i really missed about Europe is that every apartment, no matter how shitty, has a washing machine.

lost_nvrfound
09-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Yeah, laundromats suck. They are always so dingy and dim. And when there isn't kids going crazy and sloppy white trash moms screaming, there are those people who just sit and stare at whatever reading material is on hand while looking totally uninterested and defeated by life.

unpleasant.

Cock Joke
09-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Inbreds are some of the funniest people on the planet!

JohnnyNemesis
09-27-2008, 04:27 PM
I am TOO HIGH CLASS FOR THIS SHIT!!! ;);)

Sunny
09-27-2008, 04:31 PM
my delicate sensibilities, let me show u them :cool:

JohnnyNemesis
09-27-2008, 04:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-lsL0C-PVE

jacknife737
09-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Yeah, they're not really a place that i'd like to hang around. Fortunately, i live in essentially a "student" area of town, so its mostly people my age using the one i go to.

Llamas
09-27-2008, 09:09 PM
one thing i really missed about Europe is that every apartment, no matter how shitty, has a washing machine.

haha, a couple of my friends over there had a laundry machine that was barely big enough to fit a full bedsheet in it. It was like, 3 shirts max. Awesome. But you're right. Every place has one over there... no laundromats.

I've actually never been in a laundromat... but last spring when my step dad got the house/custody, he didn't have any furniture or appliances when he moved in, so he had to take my sister and brother to the laundromat... how awkward, a middle class- middle aged car salesman and his two teenage kids amidst all that. Glad I wasn't there.

wheelchairman
09-28-2008, 02:32 AM
Well I suppose this puts Scandinavia below the rest of Europe and possibly even Eastern Europe as far as washing machines goes.

Goddamn I would like one in my apartment. We only have coin op ones in the basement, ours work about 90% of the time. However technically this apartment building is meant for one person to live alone in. (officially at least, some of the people who've lived here longer have been able to break that rule.) So when I go down there with some of the ridiculously pink crap of Maartje's, well there's no excuse is there?

Vera
09-28-2008, 04:51 AM
We have a laundryroom downstairs as well. It's alright, the machine is new and the tumble dryer is ace. No complaints over here.

Free?
09-28-2008, 07:37 AM
Well I suppose this puts Scandinavia below the rest of Europe and possibly even Eastern Europe as far as washing machines goes.

Goddamn I would like one in my apartment. We only have coin op ones in the basement, ours work about 90% of the time. However technically this apartment building is meant for one person to live alone in. (officially at least, some of the people who've lived here longer have been able to break that rule.) So when I go down there with some of the ridiculously pink crap of Maartje's, well there's no excuse is there?

I don't think that you need any excuse. Only if washing "your" clothes takes ridiculously long time and other people have to wait.

KHWHD
09-28-2008, 07:59 AM
In my building there are 4 washers and 4 dryers. They're all brand new machines. The only problem is, is that there's 70 apartments in my building. It's tough to get your laundry done when you want because there's people usually always doing theirs. Pissed me off on Friday though cause when I went to go start mine, there was this chick just getting ready to leave. She's like "sorry, I used all 4 machines and still have more laundry upstairs." I'm thinking holy fuck, if you kept up with your laundry and did it more than once a month you wouldn't be hogging all the machines when others need to use them. She doesn't work (she has 2 kids) so I'm not sure what her excuse is to have so much laundry. Lazyness perhaps? I have 2 kids too and do mine twice a week cause I won't let it build up. Even when I was employed I never had 4 loads cause I did it twice a week.

Sunny
09-28-2008, 08:34 AM

is that the standard in Scandinavia or is it just your apartment building? i find it hard to believe Denmark would be behind Poland and Ireland on this one... =p

wheelchairman
09-28-2008, 08:43 AM
I believe if you own your own apartment it might not be uncommon to have an accompying washing machine. In more expensive places it's not uncommon either. But almost everyone I know at my age or income level does not have one in their own apartment. And I don't think it's very common. Perhaps in newer buildings.

I know people who have bought their own of course and take them with them.

Rag Doll
09-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Our dryer broke like....10+ years ago. So, rather than buying a new one or fixing the old one, my father just whines until my mom goes to the laundromat to dry stuff.

However, living in a very upper middle class town, I don't have the same laundromat experiences as everyone else. The one around here is mainly used by the people that live in the apartment building across the street where rent is around $1800 for a one bedroom. So, yeah, it's not the typical "white trash" experience.

Sunny
09-28-2008, 10:30 AM
baha, i remember driving by a laundromat in Chatham/Short Hills area and being like "damn, that's nice". ;p

Lizardus
09-28-2008, 10:46 AM

"Hamlet: Something is rotten in the state of Denmark."
"Per: >_>..."

sKratch
10-01-2008, 05:34 PM
is there a drop off service in your area? that's what i did when i moved back to manhattan. it was pretty cheap, to my surprise.

I doubt there's a drop off service... Maybe there is but I haven't really seen any. Binghamton is kind of a dead, poor city. Plus this laundromat is literally a 30-45 second car ride from our apartment. So other than being morbidly depressed when I step foot in it, it's not tooooo bad.