PDA

View Full Version : Relaxing

Mota Boy
09-28-2008, 11:18 PM
When really stressed out, some people unwind by fishing, or yoga, or beer. Me, I get in my car and speed around the interstate. Like, weaving through traffic (though I'm generally well-mannered), topping thirty miles over, inadvertently picking up people who want to race. I'll usually make a loop or two of the city, so about an hour of it. And I find it particularly nice if the cops are out and I pass by other people who have gotten caught or just miss being pulled over myself. I don't know exactly why, but it always works to chill me out.

So, how do you de-stress?

wheelchairman
09-28-2008, 11:38 PM
I find that beer feels this function. I usually drink at least once a week. The only real reason I do it, I discovered recently, is that I find it the ultimate relaxant. A way to let out a week of stress or annoyance or whatever.

The other way is that Tizz and I have started watching Star Trek.

coke_a_holic
09-28-2008, 11:43 PM
I try to write something when I get really stressed. Anything, just put something down on paper, use some creative juices. It's usually really shitty, but it's something to remember and it's something to do.

If it won't work and it starts to frustrate me too, I'll give up and just put everything away and read straight for a couple hours.

Kinda nerdy.

jacknife737
09-28-2008, 11:53 PM
I grab my headphones, put on a good album (lately it's been the new Gaslight Anthem), and then i usually lay on my bed and stare at the ceiling. If it's a nice crisp fall day, i'll go for a walk around my campus.

Also, after a long day of class, a pint at a local pub is another great way to forget about those research essays that are due in a couple weeks.

WebDudette
09-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Masturbate.

I'm not sure... I get pretty wound up often, and really need to relax but I'm not sure that I do any specific thing to relax.

Spending a day with some of my best friends and smoking hookah was pretty relaxing though.

wheelchairman
09-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Good one. I smoke hookah every day while watching tv (or using a computer, or both). It's one of my favorite times of the evening.

WebDudette
09-29-2008, 12:13 AM
I need to get a hookah. I'm pretty sure we talked about it before.

I'll probably get a double (maybe a single) hose when I turn 18 in a couple months.

bighead384
09-29-2008, 12:40 AM
If I'm a little stressed or annoyed about something and I'm driving home, I'll purposely take a little longer or go in circles while blasting some tunes. Usually angry music of course...or maybe something really mellow. But I couldn't bring myself to just get in the car and start driving with no destination because of how high gas prices are. But yeah, I do agree that driving around is stress relieving, although in my case, the music plays just as big of a part. It's keeps you busy enough that you're not bored, but not busy enough to keep your mind from being free to wander.

That's if I want to think about what's stressing me out. Because maybe I can figure something out. But if I don't even wanna think about the thing that's bothering me, whhhacking off or getting fucked up are tops.

Also, this reminded me of a little pet peeve I have. I hate it when I'm listening to a song, and I pull up to my parking spot but there's still like 12 seconds or something left in the song. I have to sit there and here the rest of it even if I'm kind of in a rush.

ninthlayer
09-29-2008, 12:54 AM
I've always been fond of walking. There are two really neat spots in Iowa City that have views of the roller dam and the capital that I generally head to. I've taken to smoking and listening to mp3s while walking as my primary mode of de-stressing.

WebDudette
09-29-2008, 01:38 AM
I would totally walk, except I live in a crappy neighborhood for that. Not going to get jumped or anything, it is just really boring and their are lots of dogs barking.

Omni
09-29-2008, 03:38 AM
Yeah, I used to love to walk to think and rest my nerves, but now I'm also in a crappy neighborhood. It's weird, because it's right off the Interstate, yet cut off from the rest of the city. Literally nothing except a few strangers' duplexes are within reasonable walking distance. I also used to go to a park and sit on the swings while thinking, even though that sounds pretty lame.

Here lately I kind of just... don't. During the last couple of months, my best case scenario is flat broke, since I owed a lot of money, so it's a double threat because A) That was on my mind a lot, and B) I can't go anywhere to chill out because I drive some gas-sucking truck, and C) Even if I got to where I was going, I couldn't buy anything.

the_real_potomek
09-29-2008, 04:14 AM
When there's a possibility, I meet with my friends, sometimes we drink, sometimes just walk and talk, it depends. When I can't do that, I try to do sth creative like painting or writing, just to make myself not think about how stressed I am.

KHWHD
09-29-2008, 04:28 AM
Music usually always de-stresses me.

Oxygene
09-29-2008, 05:33 AM
I beat puppies to death, that always soothes my pain :D

Andy
09-29-2008, 05:56 AM
I'm normally OK when it comes to stress. I never really take anything seriously enough to get stressed about it - an outlook on life that has both up and downsides.

However, I find that my best way of relaxing after a hard day at work (or similar) is to get home, plant myself in front of the telly and crack open a nice fridge-cold beer.

Rag Doll
09-29-2008, 05:58 AM
I cry. A lot. And hard. But I generally feel much better after the fact.

I play with one of my pets. They can make me forget pretty much anything, at least for a little while.

I like going for coffee and just venting a bit over a latte.

Alcohol and sex are good for stress too.

Little_Miss_1565
09-29-2008, 06:37 AM
I go for walks, preferably with my iPod. Red wine also works.

Sunny
09-29-2008, 06:44 AM
i get anxious and stressed out a lot. it's a shitty personality trait to have, but that's what i'm working with, so... *shrug*. the easiest things i can do to destress are shop, smoke pot or drink, which is precisely why i try to avoid doing them. i don't think reacting to stress with spending $ or doing drugs is healthy for me as a super anxious person. :/ i still do all these things because i enjoy them, but i try not to use them as knee-jerk reactions to stress, because they're so habit-forming.

so onto healthy/not expensive things...
i'm with Sam on the pet thing. playing with my puppies always helps. nothing's as de-stressing as a cuddly spaniel pawing at me. =)
i love taking long baths with candles and stuff, then drinking some tea... it's like having a little spa ritual at home. sometimes when i'm stressed out i'll do my nails, toes, eyebrows, and get rid of every stray hair out there. on a similar note, i sometimes go on cleaning rampages and polish everything in sight.
i find yoga and meditation help, although it's really hard sitting down to meditate when you're freaked out. which is perhaps why it's ultimately so rewarding.
walking with music on helps too, but sometimes it can stress me out even more. lols!
in short - prnk on me :(

Izie
09-29-2008, 06:49 AM
Ehhh I used to get stressed much more than I do now. I'm not sure how that happened, but I'm glad it did.

The one thing that works for me: work out. I used to run every day during the summer, now I don't have a lot of time so I just go to the gym like 3-4 times a week and get all of that stress out.

Although to be fair, most of my stress is really anger, which is probably why physical activities work...

Vera
09-29-2008, 07:14 AM
I can't really remember the last time I was stressed or what I did to de-stress or if I did anything at all. The first week of uni after the move was quite stressful and chaotic, I got through it simply by listing shit that needed to get done and doing it. Of course, that didn't leave much time for socializing and ..actual fun stuff.

I guess nowadays walks with music/podcasts to listen to. Rewatching an old film favourite.. It kind of depends on what I'm stressed about, really.

-L-
09-29-2008, 07:26 AM
music and smoking

T-6005
09-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Generally any kind of stress can be put off for a bit if I have my guitar in my hands. I just aimlessly pick away at the strings and it generally helps.

I also enjoy going for walks, especially if I plan to eat somewhere on the route. This one especially works when I'm angry, so I can just walk away and keep going. It's a very nice feeling.

Beer and wine are also favorites of mine, but I'm not sure whether that's because I feel relaxed when I drink or whether I'm hopelessly in love with being drunk.

F@ BANKZ
09-29-2008, 09:39 AM
The Sopranos was perfect for this, sadly they only made six and a half series. I sometimes watched it more attentively and picked up on a lot more, but who wants to do that for 75 hours of their life. These days I tend to play PS2 games (and it's the only time I do) or listen to The Spring/Social Distortion, imaginative.

JohnnyNemesis
09-29-2008, 10:53 AM
I just graduated from college, so I still have a weird guilt syndrome about relaxation. Every time I have nothing/little to do and try to write a story or play a video game or do some pleasure reading, I still get that reflexive panic as if I'm still back in school or something.

Residual school anxiety! Anyone else suffer from this?

I'm working on it.

ad8
09-29-2008, 11:04 AM
I don't have any particular thing that relaxes me, but I can chill out when I listen to good music or sleep or dream around

T-6005
09-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Today I found out I've still got the ability to pack all of the clothes I own into my suitcase.

Is it weird that knowing I can be ready to move in a few minutes relaxed me?

Sunny
09-29-2008, 12:18 PM
ha... that's a pretty good ability to have. i'm packing for a 4 day trip and stressing out because i can only bring carry-on luggage... and i have so much stuff i'd like to bring.

ergh.

holland25
09-29-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm not much of a stressful person, I get annoyed or angry most of the time when I have a lot of work or something. I used to drink a lot when stressed, but I decided to stop because it has gone too far. Now I use cigarettes as an anti-stress factor, listen to black metal (I don't know why this particular style of music unstresses me so much) or play frisbee, but it sometimes hurts because when I'm angry I'm able to throw it so hard that I once broke my friend's tooth. I used to play basketball to get relaxed too, but most of the people I've played with are already employed, so they don't have time to play anymore and shooting the ball to the basket alone is not much fun...

Little_Miss_1565
09-29-2008, 01:47 PM
I just graduated from college, so I still have a weird guilt syndrome about relaxation. Every time I have nothing/little to do and try to write a story or play a video game or do some pleasure reading, I still get that reflexive panic as if I'm still back in school or something.

Residual school anxiety! Anyone else suffer from this?

I'm working on it.

LOL yes. I'm working on it, though, and making great strides. Nothing has snapped me out of it more effectively, though, than working two shifts a day for the last two weeks.

Tizzalicious
09-29-2008, 01:48 PM
I am super stressed and anxious lately, and nothing really seems to help. I guess what comes closest to helping is reading, or watching a movie/TV curled up on the couch with hot chocolate.

I guess the main problem is that I stress about things I could or should be doing (mostly related to my shop) and my health. Stress only makes the health problems worse, so I'm in a bit of an annoying circle.

Little_Miss_1565
09-29-2008, 01:55 PM
I guess the main problem is that I stress about things I could or should be doing (mostly related to my shop) and my health. Stress only makes the health problems worse, so I'm in a bit of an annoying circle.

I hear you. I'm in the same boat. I made it a point to do a lot of yoga for awhile but then I had to start working a lot of odd jobs and there just isn't time, or when there's time there's no energy. Being ill sets you on edge to begin with, so when you start throwing other worries on there, it gets ugly fast. Have you tried meditation?

Tizzalicious
09-29-2008, 01:59 PM
I haven't tried meditation, but I do have some other relaxing exercises that do work. The problem with them is, they make me fall asleep. And though I could use some extra sleep, I don't want to nap all the time!

I should try Yoga actually, I heard a lot of good things about it. I do pilates, which I think is very relaxing too, when my head is good enough, but that's not very often.

Nina
09-29-2008, 03:26 PM
going online, reading pointless celebrity gossip and so on. Like right now. I worked all day today, it's almost midnight and I have to be up in 7h but that's not enough sleep after three full days of work. Yet I'm here. When I am stressed out I tend to lose the organization in my head, so I try to let loose for a while until I am ready to regain it.

Another thing I love to do is watch my favorite shows when I'm tired and/or stressed.

Working out never helped. NEVER. But what I also love to do is go for walks. That's an easy thing to do in my area so I do that quite often.

WebDudette
09-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Oh, when I'm stressed out I take a shower.

No matter what kind of mood I am a hot shower makes it at least a little bit better.

Some weekends I just stay at home and watch tv shows and movies on my computer to relieve stress.

Jakebert
09-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Music, showering, running, TV, and naps are my biggest ones.

Also on occasion if stress gets really bad, I'll smoke, but it rarely comes to that.

IamSam
09-29-2008, 04:39 PM
I watch TV or...fwap fwap.

just kidding.

Little_Miss_1565
09-30-2008, 07:59 AM
I haven't tried meditation, but I do have some other relaxing exercises that do work. The problem with them is, they make me fall asleep. And though I could use some extra sleep, I don't want to nap all the time!

Meditation is more about clearing your head and shutting down all those things in your brain that are making you stressed and anxious, so it shouldn't make you sleepy. It makes me feel more energetic, actually. It really came in handy after I had sinus surgery a couple months ago, and for the first 24 hours my entire nose was packed shut with gauze. It made me feel really claustrophobic and anxious and uncomfortable. I couldn't relax, because I was panicking. I'm a disgusting smelly hippy so I sometimes hit up a buddhist center for their public meditation hour, because they give you beginner's tips and such, and then there are snacks. Did some of that stuff, and I felt better. Yay.

JoY
09-30-2008, 09:54 AM
the only way I can really de-stress is working my ass off on what it is that makes me stressed out in the first place. whatever whirlwind is messing up my head, I just need to calm it down by sorting it out.

right now I'm stressed, because I have too much to do & have an exam coming up soon, so I just worked my butt off on one thing to find some relief & distraction. AND I did my laundry, partly. right about now I feel pretty good about myself, but I'm still stressed out to the fucking max, because I'm not doing what I need to do for the damn exam. problem is, there's not a time there isn't something that stresses me out & I just lose overview way too easily, not to say I probably never had any. I can't remember last time I felt genuinely relaxed.

edit; I tried lots of things to relax, by the way. but most things that appeared to work turned out to suck & either stopped working/made it worse, or turned me into a useless, inactive, unhappy bimbo.

wheelchairman
09-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Why don't any of you relax in normal healthy ways. Like drinking.

My god you people freak me out.

HornyPope
09-30-2008, 11:56 AM
If I feel anxious or restless (usually induced by a period of intense or prolongued concentration at one activitiy), I go out for a walk or for a run or anything to break the routine.

If I panic because I realize I have so many things to do but not enough time to do it, then there is really no way to destress from it. Example: when I have assignments due, exams, a lot of (professional) work as well as commitments to other people--all in a matter of a week--it hits me that there is no way I can do it all as well as I would have liked to. So I stress and I torture myself for leading me to this fucking situation in a first place and I'm pissed off that no matter what I do or how hard I work, there is no way I can do everything as well as I would have wanted it. So... I suck it up, I accept the fact that something will have to suffer, I accept that I have a made a mistake (yet again...) in organizing this crap and... I move on. Obviously this period of "accepting" is hard and stressful as fuck during which I curse at everything and anything, but I think increasingly I've been better at dealing with it than I have in the past.

Little_Miss_1565
09-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Why don't any of you relax in normal healthy ways. Like drinking.

My god you people freak me out.

Hey, don't get me wrong. My afternoon cocktail hour (or three) is a sacred thing. But when you're having health problems, it's not always the best way to go about it. Then again, there's always bong hits.

Sunny
09-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Sarah, i might've asked you this before... ever been to three jewels in st marks? issss niiice.

ps. i'm a delightful smelling hippy and so are you! ;p

Desperado
09-30-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm an incredibly anxious person, where I worry about anything and everything all the time, no matter what I'm doing. When I'm trying to relax I always feel like I'm wasting time, like I could spend my time better doing something for worthwhile or productive. Music doesn't really help because I tend to overanyalyze it and get frustrated because I don't really like what other people do, it's kinda complicated. And I'm always worried about school and stuff, my parents are always on my case even though I get straight A's pretty much it's so annoying. I really hate being so anxious and stuff, everyone always tells me to chill out but it's just who I am.

Little_Miss_1565
09-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Sarah, i might've asked you this before... ever been to three jewels in st marks? issss niiice.

NO! I've been hauling ass up to Chelsea. I will have to check it out sometime.

Homer
09-30-2008, 06:13 PM
If it's angry stress I'll usually yell "FUCK" as loud as I can, or I'll laugh manically at the event that caused the stress shortly after it happened. Crazy, I know, but it works.

If it's sad stress, I'll either listen to/play music, or play video games. Simple.

If it's panic stress, I'll get whatever's got me in a panic done as fast as possible.

Cock Joke
09-30-2008, 06:59 PM
I cut myself. LOL!

Tizzalicious
10-01-2008, 01:29 AM
Meditation is more about clearing your head and shutting down all those things in your brain that are making you stressed and anxious, so it shouldn't make you sleepy. It makes me feel more energetic, actually. It really came in handy after I had sinus surgery a couple months ago, and for the first 24 hours my entire nose was packed shut with gauze. It made me feel really claustrophobic and anxious and uncomfortable. I couldn't relax, because I was panicking. I'm a disgusting smelly hippy so I sometimes hit up a buddhist center for their public meditation hour, because they give you beginner's tips and such, and then there are snacks. Did some of that stuff, and I felt better. Yay.

I will definitely look into it some more. Thanks for the tips!

Betty
10-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Don't worry, I'm with you Per. Having a few drinks with some friends is pretty much my ultimate de-stressing activity.

HornyPope
10-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Hey, don't get me wrong. My afternoon cocktail hour (or three) is a sacred thing. But when you're having health problems, it's not always the best way to go about it. Then again, there's always bong hits.

Do you moderate under influence??

HornyPope
10-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Don't worry, I'm with you Per. Having a few drinks with some friends is pretty much my ultimate de-stressing activity.

I don't know how is that 'relaxing' though. All this sweet, complex sugar is giving me a rush to the head and to the body. When I drink, I go wild baby.

When really stressed out, some people unwind by fishing, or yoga, or beer. Me, I get in my car and speed around the interstate. Like, weaving through traffic (though I'm generally well-mannered), topping thirty miles over, inadvertently picking up people who want to race. I'll usually make a loop or two of the city, so about an hour of it. And I find it particularly nice if the cops are out and I pass by other people who have gotten caught or just miss being pulled over myself. I don't know exactly why, but it always works to chill me out.

So, how do you de-stress?

I take it you're back in America. Where about? Living it up in upper-class America or....? UPDATE!?!?!

Little_Miss_1565
10-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Do you moderate under influence??

I think I'd be in a much better mood if I did.

HornyPope
10-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Just don't spam the board or I will have to issue you a warning.

Are you drinking now? I am. Cheers, babe ;)

Nina
10-08-2008, 11:55 AM
And:

I take it you're back in America. Where about? Living it up in upper-class America or....? UPDATE!?!?!

This.

Ninty Man
10-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Listen to a nice album

Clean up my house... where I live must be said.

Read

Call to a friend

Drink... A LOT

Go to the movies

Play a videogame

I found that activities very relaxing

mrconeman
10-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Smoking a joint or two to some reggae music is a fantastic way to let a few hours pass by.

A few drinks to a movie or a good tv show is a great way to unwind. Writing music can be one of the most trance-like/relaxing states of mind ever, though on the flip side it can be exciting/stressful.

Reading with a nice cup of tea.

I live in the attic of the house, so sitting on the roof on a calm night, watching stars or whatever is fucking awesome.

wheelchairman
10-09-2008, 02:48 AM
Smoking a joint or two to some reggae music is a fantastic way to let a few hours pass by.

Really?

Cause sometimes I just find that annoying. Like cliché.

Sunny
10-09-2008, 04:25 AM

A few drinks to a movie or a good tv show is a great way to unwind. Writing music can be one of the most trance-like/relaxing states of mind ever, though on the flip side it can be exciting/stressful.

Reading with a nice cup of tea.

I live in the attic of the house, so sitting on the roof on a calm night, watching stars or whatever is fucking awesome.

i like you. :)

mrconeman
10-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Really?

Cause sometimes I just find that annoying. Like cliché.
Oh, it's entirely cliche, but yes, really. When I smoke it's only ever joints, I gave up bongs and everything else, to be honest I just prefer a nice joint, to a "proper" hit. And it just happens I like reggae alot, and they go together well. Of course plenty of music works, stoned piano is my latest craze.

i like you. :)

I like you too :-*

mrconeman
10-09-2008, 08:09 AM
edit: oops @ double post

Drafan
10-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Two different places can help me to relax; quiet, calm place, like my room, garden or forest and ice-hockey stadium full of people.

Rutegard
10-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Two different places can help me to relax; quiet, calm place, like my room, garden or forest and ice-hockey stadium full of people.

and some beer? :)

Drafan
10-09-2008, 10:05 AM
and some beer? :)

Occasionally, I´m the same like holland25, I don´t drink as much as before.. :)

Rutegard
10-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Occasionally, I´m the same like holland25, I don´t drink as much as before.. :)

eheh ok then :D

i sleep with my dogs to relax a lil bit

Offspring-Junkie
10-10-2008, 11:14 AM
I have little stress right now, but I don't think pot or beer would help right now. Besides.....beer......hmmm.

barangatang
10-11-2008, 12:45 AM
I'm in high school and am taking some very difficult AP classes. I find my self at least somewhat stressed about every other day. I deal with this by playing frisbee (not ultimate, just throwing back and forth with someone), and smoking hand rolled cigarettes after going for a long jog. Music wise, I'll listen to Ratatat, which I find unbelievably relaxing.

Conspiracyof1000
10-11-2008, 12:51 AM
When I need to unwind, I'll listen to music (anything to keep my mind off stuff) or go on YouTube and watch funny videos for a bit. Usually I'll draw or write, though. Or sleep.

Camilamazed
10-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Music, cleaning up my room while driving I take longer and go somewhere else while listening to some music as someone else said before.

=)

Tizzalicious
10-12-2008, 02:17 AM
You clean up your room while driving?

This asks for a :(:confused::o

Budzy
10-12-2008, 03:34 AM
Play a video game, soon as I lose, crack the shits so bad that if I was actually any good at throwing playstation controllers, I would have destroyed that TV years ago, then go to bed and sleep, wondering why on earth the person who made that game could be that fucking gay. Least your not thinking about whatever was worrying you.

Redjie
10-12-2008, 03:44 AM
I go to run, listen to music really loud or write stupid stuff.
Sometimes I pick up my Wii and I play tennis.