PDA

View Full Version : I have to hand it to that clever bastard.

Apathy
10-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Recently, I took on the task of attempting to free the Other Bands section from it's graveyard of "song v. song" threads. How would I accommplish this lofty goal?

Oh, but it is simple my fellow board members. I shall set a trap.

I posted two entirely fabricated song titles in an effort to prove that the next poster would simply choose whatever sounded better, then proceed to offer up his own meaningless shit to raise post count.

I selected the Bad Religion thread, a good target since the band has been around for a while, has quite a few unreleased tracks, and has mostly vague punk song titles.

The result? Unsuccessful.

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31891&page=89

Not a complete failure, as the unfortunate victim Alex101 did not call me out on my shenanigans, however he did answer in an acceptable manner that recognizes at least one of the song titles as incorrect. He's both wily and crafty in other words.

My only conclusion is that I was too good at predicting the diction of Greg Gaffin. If I had chosen a word not included in a Bad Religion song, my bait may have been taken.

Unfortunately I am forced to admit that the poster put forward actual thought into the post, thus validating the thread in some minute way.

Fucking fuck I hate those threads.

Cock Joke
10-02-2008, 09:11 PM
You'll get 'em next time, champ!

Jakebert
10-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Haha, I liked your experiment, even if it didn't work quite as well as you had hoped.

But yeah, those threads bug the crap out of me. I know there's the "if you don't like it, don't open it!" argument, but when the threads are completely taking over a section of the board, that argument is kind of moot.

jacknife737
10-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Wow, there are like 8 threads on the first page alone. I've even started to notice that some members "play" by themselves.... http://offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34802

Homer
10-02-2008, 09:32 PM
I say we add another section to the forums. A "Raise your post count" section.

I also say that we move all of those annoying threads about covering an Offspring album away from Your Band.

Short_Attention_Span
10-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Hired Gun is a Bad Brains song, actually.
________
Coach purses (http://icoachhandbags.com/)

Jebus
10-02-2008, 09:40 PM
I did something similar in a any song vs any song thread like three years ago. I used real obscure prog metal and jazz fusion bands that I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of. Did it for a few posts to see if I could kill the thread, but people just picked whichever and kept the thread going.

IamSam
10-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Apathy vs. Alex101

Alex101...

Apathy
10-02-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm not sure if I understand your meaning there.

Hired Gun is a Bad Brains song, actually.

I know, that's actually why I picked it. Scrolled through my Itunes and I thought it fit.

I did something similar in a any song vs any song thread like three years ago. I used real obscure prog metal and jazz fusion bands that I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of. Did it for a few posts to see if I could kill the thread, but people just picked whichever and kept the thread going.

That was actually my intention. I was hoping they'd just randomly pick one, then I could fucking nail them and get all the threads deleted.

jacknife737
10-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Apathy vs. Alex101

Alex101...

nice 10 characters

H1T_That
10-03-2008, 06:09 AM
Apathy vs. Alex101

Alex101...

Ha! i fuckin' love it!

lost_nvrfound
10-03-2008, 07:55 AM
I also say that we move all of those annoying threads about covering an Offspring album away from Your Band.

You wanted to play too...

Andy
10-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Apathy, you are one very bored young man*

*or woman.

H1T_That
10-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Apathy, you are one very bored young man*

*or woman.

Bored, or does he just care too much? Thus eradicating his status of being apathetic....

ooo, controversy.

Apathy
10-03-2008, 02:21 PM
That was actually the topic of much conversation back in 06ish.

I can't believe I've been here this long and people don't know my gender. Maybe I should starting posting more pictures.

HornyPope
10-03-2008, 11:54 PM
That was actually the topic of much conversation back in 06ish.

I can't believe I've been here this long and people don't know my gender. Maybe I should starting posting more pictures.

What's Andy's gender? How about lost_nrfound? How about mine?

And you're a male right? Consequently, I will pass on your generous offer to share pictures. But hey, that's just one handsome man's opinion.

Apathy
10-05-2008, 01:53 AM

And you're a male right? Consequently, I will pass on your generous offer to share pictures. But hey, that's just one handsome man's opinion.

Andy is a male with glasses and poofy hair. Approx 190ish lbs. You are also male, in the same weight range, and are usually bald.

Lost_nvrfound had an avatar that looked like a girl. But the angle was hard to tell. I don't read their posts often, so I'm not sure.

And it's not so much an offer, as I've already posted pictures of myself multiple times. As recently as just a week or so ago. I was just complaining that appearantly no one remembered.

Free?
10-05-2008, 03:14 AM
I don't think that Alex101 is bad-educated song-wise so he could get caught in such traps.

I say we add another section to the forums. A "Raise your post count" section.

To me it doesn't seem like a big problem simply because without "cover threads" there are like only 2 more or less active "your band" threads. Move cover threads wherever you like, but I think "your band" is the most appropriate section for them yet.

Homer
10-05-2008, 09:57 PM
To me it doesn't seem like a big problem simply because without "cover threads" there are like only 2 more or less active "your band" threads. Move cover threads wherever you like, but I think "your band" is the most appropriate section for them yet.

Whenever someone does post something different, it just gets washed away by all of the Offspring cover threads.

Ryder1234
10-05-2008, 10:06 PM
I'd actually have to agree about those threads. If it had been just the main threads, it would have been ok, but theres like 5 threads for RAFRAG. we should create a group for organizing our files.

Free?
10-06-2008, 04:20 AM
Whenever someone does post something different, it just gets washed away by all of the Offspring cover threads.

Dude, there are four such threads. How can four threads wash away something? Take a look at Static Martyr's thread. It's old but it is still there because it's actually active.
Oh, there's "Lightning Rod cover" thread at the bottom, I didn't notice it, sorry.

lost_nvrfound
10-06-2008, 12:31 PM

how did i get brought into all of this?