PDA

View Full Version : Do you hate cops?

HornyPope
10-03-2008, 10:34 PM
I did a u-turn today and crossed a yellow line (illegal under traffic laws!) and the cops saw me but didn't ticket me.

I conclude: not all cops are assholes.

Who disagrees?

KHWHD
10-03-2008, 10:37 PM
I did a u-turn today and crossed a yellow line (illegal under traffic laws!) and the cops saw me but didn't ticket me.

Who disagrees?

What did he do? Just give you a warning?

And yeah, I agree. Not all cops are dickwads.

HornyPope
10-03-2008, 10:45 PM
So what is the dickwads to non-dickwads ratio in the police population according to you?

And he didn't do anything. He just drove by. Actually, it could have been a she. It was dark and I couldn't make the face out really.

KHWHD
10-03-2008, 11:00 PM
So what is the dickwads to non-dickwads ratio in the police population according to you?

And he didn't do anything. He just drove by. Actually, it could have been a she. It was dark and I couldn't make the face out really.

I'd say maybe 10% dickwads, 90% non-dickwads. I found them worse where I used to live (Fergus - it was a small town, maybe 15,000.)

I remember this one instance where I used to live (before where I am now - but not in Fergus,) I was standing outside having a cigarette at the front of my building and a neighbour was talking to me. I knew he was drunk and shit, then these 2 cop cars pulled in around the back of the apartment building. As soon as the neighbour saw the cops, he went inside. The cops came up to me and started questioning me about this neighbour I was talking to. They asked me if he said anything to me and I said yeah that he wondered why I never talked to him. Then they asked me for my name, apartment number and phone number. I'm thinking - WHAT THE FUCK?!?! I didn't do anything wrong. I was just standing outside talking on the phone when he came down the stairs and started talking to me.

Anyway, to make a long story short - I guess him and a friend of his were drunk and was involved in a hit and run. His friend parked the smashed up car in the parking lot. They ended up taking the driver (his friend away to jail.)

I guess it all depends on what the crime is per se. But I'd say the majority are okay here.

And there?

KHWHD
10-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Shit, double post.

HornyPope
10-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I'd say maybe 10% dickwads, 90% non-dickwads. I found them worse where I used to live (Fergus - it was a small town, maybe 15,000.)

I remember this one instance where I used to live (before where I am now - but not in Fergus,) I was standing outside having a cigarette at the front of my building and a neighbour was talking to me. I knew he was drunk and shit, then these 2 cop cars pulled in around the back of the apartment building. As soon as the neighbour saw the cops, he went inside. The cops came up to me and started questioning me about this neighbour I was talking to. They asked me if he said anything to me and I said yeah that he wondered why I never talked to him. Then they asked me for my name, apartment number and phone number. I'm thinking - WHAT THE FUCK?!?! I didn't do anything wrong. I was just standing outside talking on the phone when he came down the stairs and starting talking to me.

Anyway, to make a long story short - I guess him and a friend of his were drunk and was involved in a hit and run. His friend parked the smashed up car in the parking lot. They ended up taking the driver (his friend away to jail.)

I guess it all depends on what the crime is per se. But I'd say the majority are okay here.

And there?

Yeah they're really nosy. I have one professor who also teaches police tech and he tells us about how cops are basically taught to be assholes because this is a role they will have to play; one one hand because it helps them solve crimes such as your example and on another because people like you and I will come to consider them as assholes anyways, which they are, the assholes. Two weeks weeks ago we had a homocide next to our house (pretty rare here, but hey shit happens) and so they built a perimeter on the street and let nobody pass. I tried talking nicely to one cop so he'd let me pass because it's 2am and I just wanna go home and sleep, but he wouldn't let me and generally acted like I should be thankful that he's taking off his busy time to even talk to me. For the record, he was sitting in his car with his partner and simply looking around as I approached him. Eventually I went around the block and got through some other cops who were guarding the other site of the road so it's not like every cop is a complete asshole, but yeah this is generally the kind of annoying shit they pull around here. That and bust you in parks when you're smoking.

jacknife737
10-03-2008, 11:31 PM

Who disagrees?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g178/jacknife737/leftovercrack.jpg

These guys.

Most of my run-ins with the police have been fairly positive. Im a student and live with students, thus we (very rarely) have issues with noise/alcohol, but weve only gotten a warning so far. And when I was a lot younger, I was a bit of a miss-behaved child (see Tru Punx), but the worst thing Ive ever gotten from a cop was a stern lecture. However, I have no doubt the police force has their fair share of assholes/control freaks, but based on personal experience Ive never encountered any.

HornyPope
10-03-2008, 11:41 PM
These guys.

Most of my run-ins with the police have been fairly positive. Im a student and live with students, thus we (very rarely) have issues with noise/alcohol, but weve only gotten a warning so far. And when I was a lot younger, I was a bit of a miss-behaved child (see Tru Punx), but the worst thing Ive ever gotten from a cop was a stern lecture. However, I have no doubt the police force has their fair share of assholes/control freaks, but based on personal experience Ive never encountered any.

Never got your house party busted?

We was gonna go to one tonight but the cops shut it down before midnight. LAAAAAME

Short_Attention_Span
10-04-2008, 12:00 AM
^^Donuts!

My feeling on cops is this: there are some that are "good", but then there are ones that really irk me (i.e., the ones at the GOP convention.)
________
SelenaCutie (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/SelenaCutie/)

lost_nvrfound
10-04-2008, 12:22 AM
A cop shot and killed my cousin this past wednesday for approaching them in a menacing manner with a weapon (a hockey stick). I'm not feeling to fond towards them right now.

25 fucking years old, two tours in iraq, and they fucking shoot him because of a hockey stick? Unbelievably fucking ridiculous!

It was a domestic disturbance. He got screwed up a bit by his tours. He fell down the stairs and he was irate with the paramedics so they called for cops. and the cops shot him.

the_real_potomek
10-04-2008, 12:51 AM
A cop shot and killed my cousin this past wednesday for approaching them in a menacing manner with a weapon (a hockey stick). I'm not feeling to fond towards them right now.

25 fucking years old, two tours in iraq, and they fucking shoot him because of a hockey stick? Unbelievably fucking ridiculous!

It was a domestic disturbance. He got screwed up a bit by his tours. He fell down the stairs and he was irate with the paramedics so they called for cops. and the cops shot him.

omg, sounds unbelieveable...I symphatize with you. and what with the cops, I mean was they punished or something?

Oxygene
10-04-2008, 01:04 AM

That's a fucking sacrilege :( I'm sorry you and your family have to go through that.

Most cops here are corrupt, so as long as u got the cash no problem. If you don't, you're still usually fine as along as you don't act like a dickweed

Drafan
10-04-2008, 02:48 AM

Are you serious? :( America is strange country. I cant imagine something like this could happen in Czech rep. Our cops would struggle with him, or hit his leg, but kill him?

wheelchairman
10-04-2008, 03:46 AM
I agree Vladchek. Once I was drunk and pissing on a church when a cop car drove by, they merely turned on their sirens for a second (to get me moving) and then drove off.

That's much better than a ticket.

mrconeman
10-04-2008, 06:00 AM
I kind of agree, I've had a few run ins with the cops where I've clearly done wong (fine and arrest worthy) and I've got to walk away.

On the flip side though Fuck tha poleece! I've had a few run ins with the cops where I've done jack shit and had places to be but they stop, search and take details, and a good half hour of your time just to be a complete cunt.

lost_nvrfound
10-04-2008, 06:19 AM
omg, sounds unbelieveable...I symphatize with you. and what with the cops, I mean was they punished or something?

the two cops involved have been put on "administrative duty" until the investigation is complete. My aunt and uncle are suing.

Generally speaking, I've been a big fan of cops. They're a great, useful tool for things like stalking exes and meth labs next door, that kind of thing. But this is just not right

the_real_potomek
10-04-2008, 07:39 AM
that's so fucking unfair that cops can kill someone without sufficient reason, and they are much less punished than an average citizen...they started to feel like they can everything.

of course, I'm not saying that all of them are like this, but I think many.

ad8
10-04-2008, 08:36 AM
I like the idea of cops and in Germany there are very few cases of cops shooting down people in general... so I like them... but of course there are as much dicks working at the police as elsewhere. And from what I've heard, american cops seem to be pretty hard/dangerous. Lost_nvrfounds story is just shocking...

KHWHD
10-04-2008, 09:01 AM
I like the idea of cops and in Germany there are very few cases of cops shooting down people in general... so I like them... but of course there are as much dicks working at the police as elsewhere. And from what I've heard, american cops seem to be pretty hard/dangerous. Lost_nvrfounds story is just shocking...

That's what I've heard too. Every time I turn around there's American cops on T.V. caught on video beating the shit out of someone for whatever reason. And I'm not exaggerating either cause I bet I've seen citizen videos 2-3 times a week on the news. Seems to be worse in Florida and LA.

Rag Doll
10-04-2008, 09:15 AM
In my town, for the most part they're pretty nice people. They're just astonishingly lazy. Which is occasionally good for me because I tend to drive a bit reckless (speeding, weaving, etc)...but meh. My boyfriend's car was involved in 2 hit and runs in like a 3 month period. Once, he was parked in front of my house and someone put a huge dent in his door. The cop that came was awesome and did a lot to try to find out who did it. Then more recently he was parked in the lot where he works and someone hit the front drivers side of his car....and there was a car parked two spots over with a bit of damage and the same paint color. When the cop came he basically said, "oh well" and then waited for his cop-friend to arrive so they could park next to each other in the lot and BS. That is generally what goes on....a lot of parking in empty lots next to each other and bullshitting and basically ignoring anything that goes on unless it has the potential to be extremely dangerous.

bighead384
10-04-2008, 11:12 AM
In the past week, I got a ticket for "improper direction". That's where you don't park on the right (as opposed to left) side of the road like you're "supposed" to. If you live in the city, that's different, but in the suburbs, that's just unheard of and NO ONE pays attention to that rule. A quick drive through any fucking neighborhood will prove this.

Also, my friend got a ticket because his headlights went out. He realized they went out right away, and he was pissed because he had just recently replaced them. A cop pulled him over, and instead of just giving him a warning, he gave him a ticket. The cop had no answer when I asked "Officer, what can we do if this happens again? The cops lights could've went out when he drove away just as easily as my friend's.

I have more stories of cops being assholes, but those are the most recent.

Rutegard
10-04-2008, 11:16 AM
smetimes ................

bighead384
10-04-2008, 11:22 AM

About 70% of the run ins I've had with cops have been complete bullshit. And I know how to be polite around cops. But everyone has a bad day once in a while though, so I'll say 6 out of 10 cops are assholes.

bighead384
10-04-2008, 11:27 AM

That's ridiculous. If it was something that could have possibly been mistaken for a gun, they could at least play the self defense card...but I mean c'mon...a fucking hockey stick?!?!

ninthlayer
10-04-2008, 11:53 AM
The cop that came into my apartment today was pretty solid. I mean, punk rock//LoC//one dead cop and whatnot, but I have no beef with the police.

Ale_xandra
10-04-2008, 11:56 AM
some cops are very friendly and funny :D
I make a practical course/ internship (I don't know the right word in english :D) @the police station and that was very cool.
There I liked every cop and thought that's right: the cops are our friends and helper (so we say in germany).
But after a week one cop did stop me because I ride on my bike on the wrong side of the road. Usually he had to ask me for 20 but he didn't :D
conclusion: cops are nice guys and I want to become one :D

Betty
10-04-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm running on maybe 50/50, which I feel is too high considering I'm sweet and innocent and don't cause trouble.

I got stopped for speeding (I think 62 km/h in a 50 zone - yeah, completely RECKLESS I know). The conversation went like this:

Cop: "Do you know how fast you were going?"
Michelle: "Umm... 60 km/h?"
Cop: "I clocked you in at 62 km/h. Do you know what the speed limit is here?"
Michelle: "50 km/h"
Cop: "It's 40 km/h up the street."
Michelle (thinking wtf and raising voice ever so slightly): "But it's 50 km/h here!"
Cop: "Don't you get smart with me young lady!"
Michelle: "Oh, I'm sorry, I was just saying that I know that, but that it's 50 km/h here."
Cop: "Yeah, well, I don't have to give you a ticket, but if you start raising your voice like that I could. Blah blah blah."
And so on.

He didn't give me a ticket. But he was such an ass. Yes, I HAD just passed a school zone that was 40 km/h (at 11 PM with nobody on the street) and I KNEW that, but now it was 50 km/h and he was trying to fuck with me and pretend that it wasn't?

The only time I got a ticket was for drinking in public/underage (18 instead of 19) like my second week of undergrad. I was just walking through the courtyard between buildings in rez with a bottle to get to the other side. The female cop that caught me was a complete bitch about it.

I was hassled for being downtown with some hooligan-looking punkrocker kids in highschool. Apparently we weren't allowed to stand on the sidewalk and we had to be "going somewhere." It was ridiculous, and they were assholes.

A girlfriend and I were out walking in our peaceful neighborhood at about 10PM on a Sunday and a female cop drove up to us and was all "Where are you going?" "Why?" "Are you drunk?" "Go home." She didn't get the concept of going for a walk for the fun of it.

And there have been more occurences as well. It's just frustrating since I don't want to have a "down with the man!" attitude at all and I really want to like cops, but way too many of them have been on powertrips in my experience.

Ale_xandra
10-04-2008, 12:06 PM
when I read your comment, @ Betty, I just was astonished.

"The only time I got a ticket was for drinking in public/underage (18 instead of 19) like my second week of undergrad. I was just walking through the courtyard between buildings in rez with a bottle to get to the other side. The female cop that caught me was a complete bitch about it."

Here in germany the young people are drunken every weekend. Most of them begin when they're 13 years old and when they are 14 oder 15 they try to entry in the disco-club. Although it's permitted when you are 16 years or older they come in.

So I think the police do a good job in america.

Jakebert
10-04-2008, 02:21 PM
The cops here in Akron are pretty good guys. Since the city is so overrun with gun crime/muggings and stuff, they usually let little things go because it takes too much time that could be spent on other things.

But at home, the cops are dicks because it's a small rural town and they have nothing to do.

But I think as a whole, cops are decent people. It's just one of those things where the loudest get the most attention, and the loudest are, as always, assholes. I don't think the ratio of assholes to good guys in terms of cops is any higher than in the normal population.

lost_nvrfound
10-04-2008, 02:53 PM
That's what I've heard too. Every time I turn around there's American cops on T.V. caught on video beating the shit out of someone for whatever reason. And I'm not exaggerating either cause I bet I've seen citizen videos 2-3 times a week on the news. Seems to be worse in Florida and LA.

LA gets a lot of attention since the whole rodney king incident. A lot of that crap happens around here too. Its just not as publicized when it happens in a city that most people in the country don't know exists.

Ryder1234
10-04-2008, 03:15 PM
I've always felt like I've done something wrong whenever I walk by a cop. I have no idea why...

Karin, that's horrible! Cops do that around here sometimes (not in my city, surrounding areas)

lost_nvrfound
10-04-2008, 04:10 PM
I've always felt like I've done something wrong whenever I walk by a cop. I have no idea why...

hehehe... there definitely is paranoia built into the system. This means that you are TRU PUNX...;)

Ryder1234
10-04-2008, 05:24 PM
UP THE PUNX

UP THE PUNX

UP THE PUNX

;):p

Andy
10-04-2008, 05:43 PM
A world without police wouldn't be a world worth living. All you who don't like the police need to grow up - believe it or not, they are actually trying to help us.

jacknife737
10-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Talk about relevant, a car near where i live was vandalized with paint, and there was an officer in the area interviewing the nearby houses to see if someone say something, she wanted to see some ID for a report, i went upstairs to grab my wallet, and when i came down she was standing inside my house taking a look around (i have a strange shaped house, you walk in the door there is a small room, then then you have to go straight up stairs to get to the "main level"), i suppose she was looking for paint. I was totally weirded out, and asked her to step out side. I felt like it was a total invasion of my privacy. Other then that incident, she was very polite.

arak0r
10-04-2008, 09:28 PM
A world without police wouldn't be a world worth living. All you who don't like the police need to grow up - believe it or not, they are actually trying to help us.
hey look a sensible post! well there were others, like the original post but still. i dont see any reason to hate the police, i like them in general. theyre still human, and obviously there are still some bad apples, but the majority are good people.

Autonomist
10-04-2008, 09:39 PM
In my experience the ratio of decent to unnecessarily hostile cops in Sydney, or at least the ones stationed in my immediate surrounding area, is about 50/50. As I continue to drink underage and get up to other shenanigans I continue to come into contact with them on at least a monthly basis. The worst cops I've ever dealt with stopped us in a park where we had nothing on us and made us do push-ups and whatnot before letting us leave, however even I could sorta appreciate the humour in that situation. Last weekend I came across some cops who knew we'd been drinking and had pulled down the fence surrounding the construction site but let us walk away anyway. When I turned back to look I saw one of the cops was giving another one a ride in a disgarded wheelbarrow. Golden youtube moment.

Ryder1234
10-04-2008, 10:03 PM
When I turned back to look I saw one of the cops was giving another one a ride in a disgarded wheelbarrow. Golden youtube moment.

Haha! I wish I was there to see that :D

That_Guy91
10-04-2008, 10:45 PM
In my experience, almost all cops are good. The downside is, since I live on Staten Island, the cops around me are pretty much worthless and incompetent for anything besides speeding tickets.

lost_nvrfound
10-04-2008, 10:53 PM
99.9% of the run ins I've had with cops have been perfectly fine. I've got nothing against the cop population in general. My aunts a cop. And I just love the on-campus cops. they ride segways. :D

holland25
10-05-2008, 01:01 AM
*I hate cop cars, member, member*

khaaaaan
10-05-2008, 01:33 AM
I agree Vladchek. Once I was drunk and pissing on a church when a cop car drove by, they merely turned on their sirens for a second (to get me moving) and then drove off.

That's much better than a ticket.

Ha! I remember that. If I hadn't been pissing already I might have pissed myself :P
Remember those assholes though that gave us a ticket for crossing a red light? That was absolutely horrible.

nameless
10-05-2008, 02:33 PM
theres a lot of debate at the moment over stop and searches in the uk, most people see them as a waste of time and think cops should have bettert hings to do rather than seraching random people for looking a bit suspicious! all that you can ask is that they play a fair game, a lot of them do have a real attitude problem!

Nina
10-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Since I dont have a driver's license I cant really say much about this, all I know is that German police officers are wussies. They dont deserve the term "cop".

Ninty Man
10-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Here in Mexico they are:
fat
incompetent
Corrupt
assholes
Morons
Pigs
and when they try to do their job, THEY CAN'T FIGHT BACK TO THE CRIMINALS BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE WEAPONS!

Smash punker
10-13-2008, 07:41 AM
*I hate cop cars, member, member*

Me too! :D

come out swinging
10-13-2008, 09:34 AM
i can say i dont like cops. The few times i did get pulled over i got warnings and 1 ticket. Some cops are corrupted. When someone does get pulled over the average is bout 3-4 cop cars show up and basically trying to intimidate the suspect.

KHWHD
10-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Here in Mexico they are:
fat
incompetent
Corrupt
assholes
Morons
Pigs
and when they try to do their job, THEY CAN'T FIGHT BACK TO THE CRIMINALS BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE WEAPONS!

Huh, what??

calichix
10-13-2008, 11:51 AM
there's always a nice one and a mean one. all you gotta do is be polite and respectful and you'll get let off. unless you're in new jersey wtf.

bighead384
10-13-2008, 01:03 PM
all you gotta do is be polite and respectful and you'll get let off. unless you're in new jersey wtf.

Quoted for Truth

Oromis
10-14-2008, 06:14 PM
unless you're in new jersey wtf.

All the cops ive talked to here in Jersey are jackasses. The only one who I get along with (and who still is a jackass to others) is my friends dad. Who is now part of a SWAT team lol

Bipolar Bear
10-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Some cops are assholes. Some aren't.
I know my uncle who's a cop is pretty racist and violent.

bighead384
10-15-2008, 12:40 PM
I met this guy a little while ago who's training to be a cop. He actually said "I can't wait to be a cop so I can beat up niggers".

Bipolar Bear
10-15-2008, 02:32 PM
I met this guy a little while ago who's training to be a cop. He actually said "I can't wait to be a cop so I can beat up niggers".

The sad thing is that I don't even find this surprising.

bighead384
10-19-2008, 07:44 PM
That's it. I officially hate cops. Another encounter, another bad experience for no reason. Me and my friends were walking to my friend's car to get something when a fucking pig pulls up and starts questioning us. We answered all his questions(yes sir, no sir), when all the sudden he gets an attitude and starts saying "he's not in the fucking mood to be lied to". I was a registered visitor on campus at my friend's college and he decided that for some reason, he was 100% positive that I was lying and that we were up to no good. I gave him my info and obviously he realized he was wrong. So instead of apologizing, or at least saying nothing and moving on, he gets out of his car and with his fucking attitude he claims that we acted suspicious and sounded like we were lying, in an attempt to justify his behavior.

Maybe this story isn't all that bad, it's just that I've reached a point where about 80 percent of my encounters with cops were unprofessional/complete bullshit. I'm glad to live in a country with law enforcement, I just happen to think that the people enforcing the laws are some of the biggest scumbags this planet has to offer.

Oh and by the way, this has nothing to do with acknowledging reality. I'm just trying to be trupunx.

Llamas
10-19-2008, 08:05 PM
That's it. I officially hate cops. Another encounter, another bad experience for no reason. Me and my friends were walking to my friend's car to get something when a fucking pig pulls up and starts questioning us. We answered all his questions(yes sir, no sir), when all the sudden he gets an attitude and starts saying "he's not in the fucking mood to be lied to". I was a registered visitor on campus at my friend's college and he decided that for some reason, he was 100% positive that I was lying and that we were up to no good. I gave him my info and obviously he realized he was wrong. So instead of apologizing, or at least saying nothing and moving on, he gets out of his car and with his fucking attitude he claims that we acted suspicious and sounded like we were lying, in an attempt to justify his behavior.

Maybe this story isn't all that bad, it's just that I've reached a point where about 80 percent of my encounters with cops were unprofessional/complete bullshit. I'm glad to live in a country with law enforcement, I just happen to think that the people enforcing the laws are some of the biggest scumbags this planet has to offer.

Oh and by the way, this has nothing to do with acknowledging reality. I'm just trying to be trupunx.

I can see why this would seem annoying, and maybe the cop could've done a better job of apologizing... but sometimes you gotta understand the cop's perspective. A lot of the times where cops catch people doing really shady shit, the cop went off a hunch of suspicion. You guys were probably doing something, or looking around somehow, that just seemed shady, so he went to check it out. I can totally see the cop's side here. But yeah, when he realized he was wrong, he probably could've apologized for bothering you guys. At least he took the time to explain to you why he came after you guys, though. That was at least something.