PDA

View Full Version : Should Pretty Fly be a concert staple?

bighead384
10-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Okay, so it doesn't really matter that much anyway, but I don't get why they still play this song at every show. I'm gonna catch the guys for the first time ever on the RAFRAG tour, and I honestly just don't care to hear this song live. Even radio stations don't play Pretty Fly anymore because it was more or less a novelty song of the 90's. I'm wondering if most fans agree...

Edit: Apparently some radio stations do play it occasionally, but I guess just not the ones I listen to.

jacknife737
10-06-2008, 08:34 PM
I voted yes, but i'm more or less ambivalent. I enjoy the song, and it's a song that most of the crowd will really "get into"; that said, i wouldn't care if they cut it for something else.

Alex101
10-06-2008, 08:38 PM
I voted yes, it's been their biggest hit for the last 10 years.

bighead384
10-06-2008, 08:41 PM

Yeah...10 years. And it's not exactly a timeless classic in my opinion. I mean, it's definitely a great song, but they've got 8 albums worth of material now and there's lots of other songs I'd rather hear.

cool 2 hate 681
10-06-2008, 08:41 PM
i voted no but don't think they will ever cut it off the setlist

Ryder1234
10-06-2008, 08:54 PM
No but as cool 2 hate said it will never get cut. But WDYGAJ has been so you never know...

lost_nvrfound
10-06-2008, 09:17 PM
idk... it seems pretty fly really has become a staple for people's ipod necessaties.

its a pretty bitchin song live.

Budzy
10-06-2008, 10:05 PM
idk... it seems pretty fly really has become a staple for people's ipod necessaties.

its a pretty bitchin song live.

Yes, tons of people know them through that song, and it was a HUGE hit. I think for a large audience like a festival or something it should be played, but for a small club show i think they should drop it.

lost_nvrfound
10-06-2008, 10:13 PM
meh... i still like it... well live...

i find the recording kind of bone grating nowadays. overdid it in highschool

Stylie
10-06-2008, 10:20 PM

Exactly. Don't understand why they should cut it out. And I love the song too. Seems like many fans don't like the song to much...
So yeah, I voted yes.

Ryder1234
10-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Lol I got into them through Genocide so I am uber ;):D

jacknife737
10-06-2008, 10:22 PM
I was at a house party on saturday, and in between repeat plays of Paper Planes and American Boy, Pretty Fly came on and everyone in the house started singing along. Even 10 years on it still manges to stay somewhat iconic.

Budzy
10-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Okay, so it doesn't really matter that much anyway, but I don't get why they still play this song at every show. I'm gonna catch the guys for the first time ever on the RAFRAG tour, and I honestly just don't care to hear this song live. Even radio stations don't play Pretty Fly anymore because it was more or less a novelty song of the 90's. I'm wondering if most fans agree...

they always play it here.
occasionaly it gets played on the normal pop radio stations, and it gets played a ton on Triple M. I've been hearing Gone Away a lot these days aswell. i have this habit of walking past my clock radio and always turning it on to check if they are playing the offspring.

bighead384
10-06-2008, 10:53 PM
I was at a house party on saturday, and in between repeat plays of Paper Planes and American Boy, Pretty Fly came on and everyone in the house started singing along. Even 10 years on it still manges to stay somewhat iconic.

I dunno if this is some kind of coincidence, but I've never had an experience like this, nor have I heard the song on the radio since the 90's.

danitanev
10-06-2008, 11:16 PM
I think that Pretty Fly is classic and really fun song so it should be played still - like The Kid's Aren't Alright or Come Out And Play or Self Esteem it's important part from The Offspring's past and present! :)

lost_nvrfound
10-06-2008, 11:21 PM
i hear all of their show staples on the main rock station in these parts. pretty fly and self esteem are the main ones

Jesus
10-07-2008, 12:14 AM
They still play pretty fly on the radio here or on mtv/tmf with the 90s shows (together with self esteem and come out and play).

It's also one of their best received songs live, cause everyone is always singing that song along quite loudly. So no they shouldn't cut it. They won't and shouldn't cut it, just like they shouldn't drop Come Out and Play, Self Esteem, All I Want and TKAA.
I love the guitar in that song too. The only time I hear the song is in concert though, because the studio version I have heard a zillion times. Being massively into Offspring in 97-99.

RobinoZombie
10-07-2008, 12:19 AM
on festivals absolutely, for arenas absolutely, for small club shows-indoor shows NO

Oxygene
10-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Of course it should what kind of question is that?

Rutegard
10-07-2008, 04:17 AM
NO!

EDIT: lol...and it was the song that got me into them, but i rarely hear it now, just in concerts :p

eehheh seriously..i'd trade pretty fly for SSOOO many other songs.....sssoooo maaannnyyyyyyyyy :D

The Search Button
10-07-2008, 04:37 AM
I think asking to drop Pretty Fly would be the same as asking to drop Self Esteem. It makes no sense. People should really respect this song and everything it has made for the band.

Besides, the song goes great live.

Rutegard
10-07-2008, 04:46 AM
I think asking to drop Pretty Fly would be the same as asking to drop Self Esteem. It makes no sense. People should really respect this song and everything it has made for the band.

Besides, the song goes great live.

i respect it a lot lol

i just prefer tons of other offspring songs to be played live...that's all! :D

so i voted NO

holland25
10-07-2008, 06:03 AM
No: I don't like that song
and Yes: many people love it and it's great song to have fun to.

But I voted no.

MasteR GunneR
10-07-2008, 06:51 AM
Yes, tons of people know them through that song, and it was a HUGE hit. I think for a large audience like a festival or something it should be played, but for a small club show i think they should drop it.
QFT!101010

Out on Patrol
10-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Yeah...10 years. And it's not exactly a timeless classic in my opinion. I mean, it's definitely a great song, but they've got 8 albums worth of material now and there's lots of other songs I'd rather hear.

I agree.. No more Pretty Fly on the shows!!! Maybe, as sbdy said, it should be played in festivals (not in Argentina please!!), because it's a very well-known song, and everybody likes it or has begun listening to the band because of it.
What I mean is, they should play it less regularly, every 3 4 shows, not in every show, as it's been happening since 98.

Stylie
10-07-2008, 08:11 AM
They still play pretty fly on the radio here or on mtv/tmf with the 90s shows (together with self esteem and come out and play).

It's also one of their best received songs live, cause everyone is always singing that song along quite loudly. So no they shouldn't cut it. They won't and shouldn't cut it, just like they shouldn't drop Come Out and Play, Self Esteem, All I Want and TKAA.
I love the guitar in that song too. The only time I hear the song is in concert though, because the studio version I have heard a zillion times. Being massively into Offspring in 97-99.

You my friend, is a smart guy.

Cock Joke
10-07-2008, 08:17 AM
I'm on the fence sorta. I don't think they should cut it completely, but every now & then they should play it.

Redjie
10-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Pretty fly rocks live. People like it and it would be bad to remove it from set lists. It's one of their most known songs. Personally, I don't like to hear pretty fly's studio version that much but I love to hear dozens of people sing along on shows.

the_real_potomek
10-07-2008, 09:18 AM
I think Pretty Fly is great song, so it shouldn't be cut off completely from set list. but they could reduce a bit playing that song, just to let fans hear other great songs live. but I'd rather resign from Want You Bad than from Pretty Fly:p

ad8
10-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Yes, because it is one of their 3 biggest songs, and if they'd cut it, they could cut Self Esteem and Come Out And Play as well.

Rutegard
10-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Yes, because it is one of their 3 biggest songs, and if they'd cut it, they could cut Self Esteem and Come Out And Play as well.

LOL that would be ok by me :p

REALLY!!

lost_nvrfound
10-07-2008, 10:17 AM
LOL that would be ok by me :p

REALLY!!

this is BLASPHEMY!

Rutegard
10-07-2008, 10:22 AM
this is BLASPHEMY!

AHAHAH

i'd prefer burn it up, jennifer, beheaded, session, nitro, no hero, crossroads. me and my old lady (instead of gone away), cool to hate, mota, meaning of life, don't pick it up, forever and a day, kick him when he's down, genocide, .......and stuff like that ya know?

but bad habit and all i want are fucking perfect :D

bighead384
10-07-2008, 11:11 AM

Well, it looks like most people disagree with me so I guess it only makes sense to play what most people want to hear. But since a couple people have said what you're saying, I just want to reiterate that part of my gripe is that I personally consider Self-Esteem and COAP to be timeless classics, whereas I consider Pretty Fly to be more of a novelty song that eventually got old (even though it's still a good song). But apparently I'm in the minority.

Blitzkrieg Bop
10-07-2008, 12:09 PM

Like he said :)

Yes, tons of people know them through that song, and it was a HUGE hit. I think for a large audience like a festival or something it should be played.

Exactly :D

nameless
10-07-2008, 05:36 PM
i guess its more the kinda die hard fans that would like it dropped as they most likely own all the albums and know its not exactly typical of their sound. the more kinda passing fan will like it a lot more. either way, it gets the whole crowd singing along!

KHWHD
10-07-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the song to be honest, but I don't totally hate it either. I'm a long time fan (10+ years) and really couldn't care less if they played it. The only song I don't like is 'Feelings.' Now that song, I could stand to never hear again as long as I live.

randman21
10-07-2008, 05:52 PM
The only song I don't like is 'Feelings.' Now that song, I could stand to never hear again as long as I live.
Boooooo!! "Feelings" is one of my favorite Offspring songs. :mad:
But anyway, I think it technically should be a staple, but I wouldn't necessarily want to hear it at a show. I'd rather they play something less known.

bighead384
10-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Boooooo!! "Feelings" is one of my favorite Offspring songs. :mad:
But anyway, I think it technically should be a staple, but I wouldn't necessarily want to hear it at a show. I'd rather they play something less known.

I will NEVER understand why so many people don't like Feelings.

But anyway, yeah, I kinda don't like how their set list MUST contain certain hit singles. It takes the element of surprise out of it. And there's a LOT of other songs I'd rather hear than some of the singles. But BLAAHHHH, I guess it's understandable why they play the most popular songs...

KrispyNotKrunchy
10-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Personally its not my favorite song at all, mainly from the theme of the song being so corny. I hate when people are like "I like the Offspring. They play Pretty Fly, right?"

HOWEVER, the guitar is actually pretty wicked, and when I saw them live for the first time on 9/20/08, they played Pretty Fly and it was pretty awesome... one of the better ones of the show.

Honestly, the problem is the stupid Guy Cohen character in the music video, because I'm sure when you think of the song, that pretty un-fly bastard pops in your minds too. The thing is, the song is not a bad song, its just been given a bad image.

I challenge all of you: put on some headphones, shut out the world for 3 minutes and 11 seconds, and listen to the song with focuses on the guitar, the bass, the drums, the rhythm, the lyrics even. Its not bad.

randman21
10-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Oh, I have. It rocks the crap out of me. The guitar part in the chorus is superb.

Budzy
10-08-2008, 01:40 AM
Honestly, the problem is the stupid Guy Cohen character in the music video, because I'm sure when you think of the song, that pretty un-fly bastard pops in your minds too. The thing is, the song is not a bad song, its just been given a bad image.

It was meant to be funny. 'Give it too me baby, aha aha' and 'And all the girls say i'm pretty fly for a white guy', the song is obviously not a serious song, its a fun and funny song, and Guy Cohen is an absolute legend in that video.

Rutegard
10-08-2008, 03:02 AM
It was meant to be funny. 'Give it too me baby, aha aha' and 'And all the girls say i'm pretty fly for a white guy', the song is obviously not a serious song, its a fun and funny song, and Guy Cohen is an absolute legend in that video.

yeah i agree with that :D

Rutegard
10-08-2008, 03:04 AM
i guess its more the kinda die hard fans that would like it dropped as they most likely own all the albums and know its not exactly typical of their sound. the more kinda passing fan will like it a lot more. either way, it gets the whole crowd singing along!

yeah...that's why i said that it will be cool by me if they stop playing it :D..

but on the other hand i also know that lots of "not-so-die-hard fans" love it...

Stylie
10-08-2008, 07:23 AM
yeah...that's why i said that it will be cool by me if they stop playing it :D..

but on the other hand i also know that lots of "not-so-die-hard fans" love it...

I'm a die hard fan, but I really don't want them to stop playing it. The song is legend. :p

Rutegard
10-08-2008, 09:09 AM
I'm a die hard fan, but I really don't want them to stop playing it. The song is legend. :p

ok...not stop playing yet...but playing it just once in a while...LOLOL

KrispyNotKrunchy
10-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Well, I know this is a long shot, and I may be way off base with this, but I think, seeing how the band has over 100+ songs over 8 or 9 albums, that they should have the general kick ass crowd pleasers, like YGGFK, Come Out and Play, Want You Bad... (whatever)... BUT they should also rotate different lesser known songs into EVERY show.

For example, they should randomly play Living in Chaos, Special Delivery, The Noose, I Choose, Mota, Session, etc... so that over a 2 or 3 year span, they've played at least 75% of the songs.

Maybe its just me.

KHWHD
10-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Well, I know this is a long shot, and I may be way off base with this, but I think, seeing how the band has over 100+ songs over 8 or 9 albums, that they should have the general kick ass crowd pleasers, like YGGFK, Come Out and Play, Want You Bad... (whatever)... BUT they should also rotate different lesser known songs into EVERY show.

For example, they should randomly play Living in Chaos, Special Delivery, The Noose, I Choose, Mota, Session, etc... so that over a 2 or 3 year span, they've played at least 75% of the songs.

Maybe its just me.

I agree. It seems that 95% of the time, they have pretty much the same exact setlist at every show. I also think that they should switch it up a bit. My personal opinion.

brothadave79
10-08-2008, 01:40 PM
I agree. It seems that 95% of the time, they have pretty much the same exact setlist at every show. I also think that they should switch it up a bit. My personal opinion.

I could just see people though going "Why the hell didn't they play LAPD here? They did in San Diego! Instead they played Walla Walla. Lame." etc.

Jesus
10-08-2008, 01:43 PM
I could just see people though going "Why the hell didn't they play LAPD here? They did in San Diego! Instead they played Walla Walla. Lame." etc.
So true.

KHWHD
10-08-2008, 01:54 PM
So you 2 don't agree then?

Jesus
10-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Ow no, they could, for my part, rotate like a couple songs every concert or every couple of concerts (which would stop me from basically already knowing what the next song at a concert will be). But I have no illusions that it'll stop people complaining, it might even increase. Jealousy is a bitch.

brothadave79
10-08-2008, 02:04 PM
^I agree. The complaints are annoying.

But, I honestly would not miss Pretty Fly. And having seen them twice already, I would LOVE different songs. But, of course one of those shows was the Splinter tour so they'll be playing RAFRAG songs now. Still, I'd like it if they kicked around the older stuff a bit more. You might get a song or two that you didn't exactly hope for, but at least it makes for a more "personalized" show.

Dragnet
10-08-2008, 02:07 PM
I say no, they've got plenty of better songs they could play instead.
Since it was a hit ten years ago it was played to death.

Rutegard
10-09-2008, 08:22 AM
I say no, they've got plenty of better songs they could play instead.
Since it was a hit ten years ago it was played to death.

real death!! lolo

but yeah...i would love some rotation too :D

i want me and my old lady and burn it up for example :D ehehe

Cbonham5
10-09-2008, 11:55 AM
i personally love the song, they should keep it in the setlist as long as people still go nuts for it

RobinoZombie
10-09-2008, 04:49 PM
They should fucken open every show with it.

Rutegard
10-10-2008, 10:03 AM
They should fucken open every show with it.

let's not become very excited about it LOL ok? :p

findout5
10-10-2008, 04:07 PM
It's their biggest hit and they should play it! And probably promoters oblige them to play it contractually, just like the offspring oblige them to their riders! Gotta Get Away is really unbearable for me to hear live nowadays though!